Are you thinking of purchasing a TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 02:56 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum. Have been looking around the market for quite a while trying to decide on a car to replace my 98 Honda Accord EX V6(A). Had sold my other 5MT about a year ago and definitely missed the fun & excitement of the 5MT. Autos doesn't match up at all to 5MTs.

My options have been Passat 1.8T, 325i, the soon to be released Legacy 2.5GT Limited all 5MTs and TSX 6MT. Test drove both the TL & TSX yesterday and found that the TL can be hard to drive slow and don't want to end up with too many tickets, whereas the TSX is a more practical car and still have the fun driving in the city. Was quite impressed with the braking as I was doing about 70mph when all of a sudden an inter section came up faster than expected and I was still able to brake in time to turn.

The few things that I don't like about the TSX (hopefully this could be fix with your input) are as follows:

1. The Michelin PIlots are practically useless (too noisy). No idea why Honda/Acura have been using them - must be a cheap deal they got all these years. - compared to the TOYOs that I have which gives a more comfortable & quiter ride
2. There are no sun visors extensions in the TSX (compared to what I've already got in my Accord). Does anyone know whether the Accord's sunvisor will be able to fit into the TSX ? This would eliminate the problem.
3. The shift knob is too thin and small - prefer the TLs shift knob. Can these be replaced without a problem?
4. Are the headlights bright enough with the HIDs and won't need fog lights? These costs about $700. I'm trying to justify the extra cost. Does anyone have any input on this?

I've addressed point 1 & 2 with the Sales Manager and he will be doing some research to see if they can replace or do something on those. I'll also speak to him on point #3 too.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2004, 04:41 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Hey guys,

I had been on this site while I was doing my reconnaissance on the TSX. I just bought one about a month ago and I love mine too. What you all say about the whole package - price, features, performance, etc. is all true. Love the xenon light curtain. It cuts a perfect white hot rectangle out of the darkness like some kind of set of futuristic night vision goggles. Honda has always done a great job on ergonomics but they have outdone themselves on this baby - there are more compartments than I have things to fill them with.

Compared to my Integra, it's like going from a canoe to a luxury yacht.

Carbon grey with Ebony no NAV.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:46 PM
10th Gear

TSX Factory tires

Yeah, you're right. I would prefer Dunlops or something. The Michelins are not grippy enough - the polymers they use are too hard - not supple. And the shifter is alright but it conducts outside cold temps right into your palm. I don't know what they were thinking on these two things. I don't think Michelins are cheaper. If anything they're more expensive than your TOYO's.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by shelltox
1. The Michelin PIlots are practically useless (too noisy). No idea why Honda/Acura have been using them - must be a cheap deal they got all these years. - compared to the TOYOs that I have which gives a more comfortable & quiter ride
- Yes, the Michelins suck. I swapped my tires out (along with rims) to Pirellis. Much much better, if I did sacrifice a bit to noise and comfort. Bottom line, there are better tires out there if you want comfort or performance.

2. There are no sun visors extensions in the TSX (compared to what I've already got in my Accord). Does anyone know whether the Accord's sunvisor will be able to fit into the TSX ? This would eliminate the problem.
- I came from a '99 Accord. I did miss these. The Accord visors would probably work, but you will get a size / color mismatch.

3. The shift knob is too thin and small - prefer the TLs shift knob. Can these be replaced without a problem?
- This I would disagree with. Use it for a while and see how you like it. I had the same firsst impression. It just felt weird. Now I like it. But to answer your question, yes you can swap it out. Undo the lock nut, and the knob just unscrews off.

4. Are the headlights bright enough with the HIDs and won't need fog lights? These costs about $700. I'm trying to justify the extra cost. Does anyone have any input on this?
- I personally think so. Since the projectors have a cutoff, it helps to greatly reduce the fog-glare versus reflector lamps. And they are bright...halogens by comparison are dim. Remember that you can always get fog lamps later. They are a pretty easy install.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

It came down to the TSX or the TL,I bought the TL and now sorta wish I would have went with the TSX,But time will tell If I made the right choice.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:03 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for your input Lung Fu Mo Shi. Unofrtunately, the dealer here was unwilling to compromise and only gave me a $200 credit on the tires which is pretty much a slap in the face and wanted and extra $1K for the replacement tires. I wasn't willing to accept this fact and unfortunately have to decide on another car. Perhaps it could be a TSX sometime down the road.

Cheers guys!