Are you thinking of purchasing a TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking to a customer yesterday and he complimented my TSX. He said he was looking at them and asked how I liked the car. Without reservation I told him I loved it, and we talked for a few minutes about the TSX, TL, and cars in general.

He wondered if there was enough power with the TSX, and I said there was. He wanted to know if the TSX was fun to drive, and I said it was. He asked if I liked the navigation system, and I said I did.

After I left the store, I was thinking about my enthusiasm related to the car. This is despite the fact I have had little, niggling problems like a rattle here or a brake squeak there. Then I starting thinking about this site and all the negative threads, and how a prospective buyer might get the wrong idea about the TSX.

Let me tell you something prospective buyer, this is one incredible bad-ass car. I truly love my TSX. I would absolutely buy the TSX again today and I have ZERO regrets about my purchase. I still believe this car is the best on the market when looking at a combination of quality, performance, features, reliability, handling, and resale value. People still go crazy when they see my car. Hell, I still go crazy when I see my car. There is nothing like staring at the navigation screen at night with the blue "pimp" lighting softly illuminating the center console area, all the while feeling the snickety-snick of the transmission and listening to the engine purr. What a wonderful ride.

I still love my car after three months and 10,000 miles.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:47 AM
spc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will second your opinion Jason. Before I bought my TSX, I checked out this site for couple weeks. And the issues/problems slowly come out front, like rattles or some minor adjustment needed, those do not scare me away. Now, we even have blown transmission issue for manual. However, one thing clear in my mind is that TSX is the first year model, no matter how good the reputation of Honda & Acura, prepare for some minor imperfections. Plus, most of the time, the next year same model which base on this year model should always has some improvements. Therefore, car shopper should base on their budget, their like and their instinct.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

The TSX has been out for 1 year in Japan.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:00 AM
spc
Instructor

Originally posted by DEVO
The TSX has been out for 1 year in Japan.
By any chance, did you know how many sold in Japan?
Old 11-19-2003, 12:44 PM
TSX Lover

Mine's on order.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I should say... sold as an Accord Type S in Japan and then England. Don't know the number sold though.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:37 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by DEVO
I should say... sold as an Accord Type S in Japan and then England. Don't know the number sold though.
Actually the TSX is based on the 2.4 Executive, with a stiffer suspension and a tweeked engine.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Don't listen to me.

I complete agree with Jason. For the money this is the best car you can buy.

The only problems/issues I have is that I can't think of enought arrons to do durring the day so I can drive it more.

The TSX gets two thumbs up!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put me down as another happy TSX driver.

That said, if I had it to do over I may have bought a different vehicle- the TL! Otherwise, I'd buy the TSX again.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 PM
More On

Originally posted by darth62
Put me down as another happy TSX driver.

That said, if I had it to do over I may have bought a different vehicle- the TL!......
If I had one, I'd gladly trade it to you for your TSX, even up. In fact, I'd pay you.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Jason, I think you voiced a much needed reinforcement in your opening post. I have lurked on this site since right around its inception, and the negative posting especially during the Sep.-Oct. weeks have not been too encouraging for prospective owners like myself and others. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Jaybird
Jason, I think you voiced a much needed reinforcement in your opening post. I have lurked on this site since right around its inception, and the negative posting especially during the Sep.-Oct. weeks have not been too encouraging for prospective owners like myself and others. Thanks.
Thanks. I was driving my car and thinking about that, and I thought it would be a damn shame if people got scared off the TSX.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by prballard
Actually the TSX is based on the 2.4 Executive, with a stiffer suspension and a tweeked engine.

Nope... type S. Read the specs. They are practically identical.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

ok... it's closer to the executive... but same engine.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Instructor

I agree that Jason's post was much needed. There is a "problems and fixes" section to this site, but it seems that the majority of gripes and issues are aired in the more general Car Talk section.

I'm tired of reading all kinds of crap about low-end tourque and squeeks and rattles. It's good information to know about, but instead of ranting and raving about issues, I'd much rather see posts about meets and mods and pictures and good TSX experiences. Not all the crap about TSX drivers getting blown away at stoplights by Fords and how much everybody laments not waiting for the TL. That's all BS, IMHO.

I love my TSX. It's the car I could afford and the one I chose from among a number of other choices. After 3,200 kms I still think it has the best balance of sport, practicality, quality and price out there. Sure I have a few things to be sorted out at my first oil change, but hey, THAT'S NORMAL!!

For all the whiners, thank God you did choose the TSX 'cause you'd have all slashed your wrists by now with a Mazda, BMW, Audi etc...

Let's hear more about how much people are enjoying their cars!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Spud
There is a "problems and fixes" section to this site, but it seems that the majority of gripes and issues are aired in the more general Car Talk section.
Good point. Those days are now over.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Spud
I agree that Jason's post was much needed. There is a "problems and fixes" section to this site, but it seems that the majority of gripes and issues are aired in the more general Car Talk section.

I'm tired of reading all kinds of crap about low-end tourque and squeeks and rattles. It's good information to know about, but instead of ranting and raving about issues, I'd much rather see posts about meets and mods and pictures and good TSX experiences. Not all the crap about TSX drivers getting blown away at stoplights by Fords and how much everybody laments not waiting for the TL. That's all BS, IMHO.

For all the whiners, thank God you did choose the TSX 'cause you'd have all slashed your wrists by now with a Mazda, BMW, Audi etc...
As a card-carrying whiner, I'd like to make the distinction between those that just dwell on the negative, and those that voice their issues for the sake of information exchange in the hope of helping each other resolve the problems. I'd say that most of us make it clear that we love the car, but we're also frustrated enthusiasts working on getting the kinks out. I'm so thankful that I have this forum for that purpose, in addition to the other, more fun/positive stuff here.

Agreed that most of the problem threads belong in the Car Problems & Fixes section.

BTW, ever had an Idaho Spud candy bar? One of my favorites
Old 11-20-2003, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I was quoted at 3k down (including inception costs), and 375 per mo. for 6mt-NAV for a 42 mo. finance (balloon) term, and I just might jump on it if I can get fogs thrown in. Trying to be cost conscious since I havn't drove it due to driver's licence stipulations which clear on Dec 23rd. Any thoughts? I dont know many other cars new or used I've seriously considered without any seat time.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Jaybird
I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I was quoted at 3k down (including inception costs), and 375 per mo. for 6mt-NAV for a 42 mo. finance (balloon) term, and I just might jump on it if I can get fogs thrown in. Trying to be cost conscious since I havn't drove it due to driver's licence stipulations which clear on Dec 23rd. Any thoughts? I dont know many other cars new or used I've seriously considered without any seat time.
I would go ahead and start a new thread for this if you have not already. Glad you're shopping for a TSX though.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:46 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by weasel
Don't know if it's appropriate to post this here...
It's not.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by LeMasseHammer
BTW, ever had an Idaho Spud candy bar? One of my favorites
What's in it? Sounds like a whopper of a candy bar
Old 11-23-2003, 10:47 AM
TfD
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Jaybird I havn't drove it due to driver's licence stipulations which clear on Dec 23rd.
TSX will probably not be a good choice if you're looking to avoid driving fast...

It doesn't help your marriage either when you enter the freeway ramp (with wife in car) doing 95.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Im well aware of it's capabilities, but a rocket it's not. Im sure Ill be pleased.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions on positive experiences. In the next few days, I'll be posting my impressions of my Sunday afternoon drive up to the summit of Mt. Hamilton on hilly, twisty, hairpin highway 130. (My initial write-up is a bit long right now, so I need to do some culling before posting it.)
Old 11-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Intermediate

Love my TSX #12245. Have almost 3,600 trouble free miles on her. Fourth Acura that I've owned since 1987 and by far the best one yet.

I agree if you like to drive and drive fast it is a sweety. Sound system is great, wonderful bass and the channel sepeartion is wonderful. Rides like a dream, corners a little less agressive than some, but it is a sedan.

Color me happy.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Instructor

I have an Infiniti G20 right now, so the TSX is a very similar car (FWD I4 Sport sedan). I'm probably going to be looking to upgrade once I get out of college, so depending on what my financial situation is at the time I may pick up a used TSX or if I can afford it a used 2004 TL. The other cars I would consider going to are a used Infiniti G35 or M45 (the M45 is expensive now, but lack of popularity and redesign for '05 will hurt resale values).
Old 11-28-2003, 08:21 AM
6th Gear

I'll be looking at one very shortly. It's one of about 4 cars on my list. When it came out I wouldnt even consider owning one, but the more i saw it the more and more it reminded me of my 3rd gen maxima, and I loved that car (like any auto person truely loves a car). And i want to get away from domestics and get to a dealer/automaker that treats its customers well.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:16 PM
Metal_Driver

I am a very picky person and I cannot say enough about this car! Had it since Aug and I love it. If you want a sporty family car that will last for a long time - this is it.

Old 11-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TfD
TSX will probably not be a good choice if you're looking to avoid driving fast...

It doesn't help your marriage either when you enter the freeway ramp (with wife in car) doing 95.
Man, when I get my TSX...my hubby will be the one holding on to his ass on the freeways ramps!!!!! Maybe you should let the little woman drive!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Instructor

I love the car & I haven't even taken delivery of it yet (it's being built as we speak). I've been lurking around this site & the other one since before the TSX was for sale & despite the few critisims that have been posted, I know that it's the right car for me & my family. I purchased the TSX over the STi because it suits my needs better. Is it as fast? No. Does it handle as good? No. Does it do everything in a completely acceptable manner? You bet it does. Is it a "total package?" In my mind, yes. I'm coming into it from an S-10 pickup for Christ's sake. I'll feel like the king of the world for many years I'm sure. My wife's '99 Civic Si will feel way more comfortable in the garage beside my CG/Ebony/6-MT/navi. than the STi. And I'll feel more comfortable as well. That's all that matters.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Yes......am thinking....will make decision end of spring, mid summer.....
Old 12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

I test drove a TSX today..I really liked it however, they dont come in manual transmission...does anyone know anything different?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:07 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by NewCustomer
I test drove a TSX today..I really liked it however, they dont come in manual transmission...does anyone know anything different?
Say What???? Where are you from? The TSX has a sweet 6-speed manual transmission.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Banned

Yes, I am. But, it will probably be as a certified pre-owned Acura in 2-3 years. I'm a relatively poor PhD student right now.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by NewCustomer
...however, they dont come in manual transmission...does anyone know anything different?
Um.....I know something different. 6MT = six-speed manual transmission. Last I checked, my TSX had one. Just because there weren't any on the lot, doesn't mean they don't exist. Don't let the dealer fool you.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Cruisin'

I want to buy the TSX but...

Hi... I am shopping for a new car and really like the TSX but the rattle issues kinda scares me. I sold my 2001 Maxima SE because there was this tick that I couldn't resolve and it was unbearable like an itch you can't scratch. I bought a 2002 Hyundai Accent GL and weird but for a bargain basement car is so rattle and problem free for 1.5 years. But time to move up again and the TSX is on the top of my list. I was reading some threads and some mentioned Acura Japan is aware of the rattle issues and have worked on it. Would the fix apply for the current cars in dealer lots or should I wait a few more months? I also wonder why Acura didn't make the TSX with body side moldings. I am so weary about door dings. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 PM
10th Gear

I read the posts here about rattles, but went ahead and bought the car. Its a great car and if rattles raise their ugly head, I will deal with them. Generally, from what I have read, dealers will work with you on rattles. My dealer is good so I am confident that they will.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I want to buy the TSX but...

Originally posted by kagedude
I also wonder why Acura didn't make the TSX with body side moldings. I am so weary about door dings. Thanks.
When I bought my Accord, the side mouldings were an option. I believe that they are also available as an add-on on the TSX. If you like the look, it is worth it. I had my Accord 1 week before someone at the mall ran a door into it.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:18 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

After 400bucks to dent wizards I had the optional side moldings installed as well.

The TSX may be able to have optional side moldings installed and color matched from another car.

You just need to find a car with taped on moldings, then measure for fit, and order a set at that makes dealer. Then have them installed.

Many crew cab trucks like the older dodge ram had a thin black trim molding taped on. This could be painted and installed on the front and rear TSX doors.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:29 PM

Yup. It is on the list for cars to replace my GS4. The price is very, very, appealing but I doubt it will win ahead of the other choices.

Quick Reply: Are you thinking of purchasing a TSX?