Would this be legal in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004 | 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Would this be legal in CA?

Would it be legal here cali to tint the car 30% in the front and rear or would I get a ticket
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:13 PM
Team Owner

Probably a ticket. I think the legal limit is 35%.

Of course, people drive around all the time with dark tints and don't get ticketed immediately so if you want to risk it, I'm sure you'll only get pestered periodically.
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I read some website that said the car in the front had to have 70% visibility in the front and the bac could be whatever?
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I think I could my answer

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

That is just :ghey:
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Hmm...sounds to me like you need to just pony up the extra cash to get the good UV protective tinting so sidestep the rule.
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:36 PM
Cruisin'

I also live LA and I just got my car tinted to like 27%-30% (metallic tint) and the tint guy said that usually that would be the darkest you could get by without having a high risk of being caught by the local PD.
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:09 PM
Tuxedo Cat

My experience:

The police will rarely stop you for tints, unless it's extreme. They will sometimes use it as an excuse for stopping you if they suspect you of something else, as it provides the opportunity to check you out, see if there's anything suspicious in the car, etc.

The LA, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills meter maids are brutal about fix-it tickets. I recall that up north, Berkely, Oakland, San Francisco and Palo Alto had pretty nasty reputations for doing the same thing. Illegal tints and missing front license plates are favorites. They circle around near my gym after hours, looking for the expensive cars with the missing front plates and heavy front tint jobs. They have never bothered me with a 50% front tint, but I know people with 35% who have been ticketed.

If you get stopped for something else the "fix it" ticket for the tints will often be added to the other infraction.

In California, a "fix it" ticket is not just a fine. You must also get a law enforcement officer to sign off on the fact that the violation has been corrected, which means you have to get the tint removed, show up at the police station, and often pay for an inspection in order to get it taken care of. (Last time I had one for a bad brake light bulb, I just chatted up a cop at the local 7-11 and asked him to sign it for me.) Obviously, this is a major pain for a tint problem.

Tint rules for most states (and lots of commentary on the subject) are at http://www.tintdude.com
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:39 PM
6 speed yo!

the legal limit for cali is 85% on the front. i have 35 on my front and 20 on rear and im always next to cops and they don't do anything. but i always open my sunroof to bring more light in. i wouldnt worry. i had 5% all around on my integra and i never got pulled over.
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:11 AM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by tsxhondatuner
the legal limit for cali is 85% on the front. i have 35 on my front and 20 on rear and im always next to cops and they don't do anything. but i always open my sunroof to bring more light in. i wouldnt worry. i had 5% all around on my integra and i never got pulled over.
Nope, it's 70% on the front. Actually, factory glass is already 70-80%. 85% would mean you couldn't have windows!

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:19 AM
6 speed yo!

thats not CA updated website but if a cop stops you they'll say you can't have anything on the front. all the tint shops where i live say 85% is legal. not all factory glass is over 70% tinted. the only cops that care about tints in bay area where i live is CHP. all local police don't even care.
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:47 AM
Tuxedo Cat

thats not CA updated website but if a cop stops you they'll say you can't have anything on the front. all the tint shops where i live say 85% is legal. not all factory glass is over 70% tinted. the only cops that care about tints in bay area where i live is CHP. all local police don't even care.
You made me look up the actual law. Looks like you're a bit closer to the detailed truth than me:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

...clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Basically, you can put UV blocking film of no less than 88% light transmission, but the combination of the window plus the film has to be no less than 70%. And you have to keep a whole bunch of paperwork to prove it's legal.

Most factory glass is about 80% before you put any extra tint on it. Most UV films are about 90%. The combo gets you somewhere close to, but usually above 70% for the two together.

Around here, CHP don't seem to care any more than the local cops. It's the parking police that always get you for this shit.
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:55 AM
6 speed yo!

<--no parking police in my area and when i went to frisko i got a parkin ticket wit my teg and they didn't say anything....

i think tint laws are bull. if i ever do get pulled over im going to say that i dont wan't to get skin cancer from the sun haha. ill get a doctors note lol.
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:00 AM
Tuxedo Cat

<--no parking police in my area and when i went to frisko i got a parkin ticket wit my teg and they didn't say anything....

i think tint laws are bull. if i ever do get pulled over im going to say that i dont wan't to get skin cancer from the sun haha. ill get a doctors note lol.
Wow, a friend with a Range Rover got citations for his tint job 7 times in the first two weeks of living in SF.

After the 7th fix it for the same problem, he started just leaving it on the windshield so they wouldn't keep citing him for the same problem every day. He got the tint pulled off, then had it reinstalled when he moved back to LA.
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:04 AM
6 speed yo!

thats weird. never knew they could give you a ticket for tint when your not at your car. i would just take it off and say it was never there lol
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:23 AM
Tuxedo Cat

thats weird. never knew they could give you a ticket for tint when your not at your car. i would just take it off and say it was never there lol
It's not a moving violation. It's a vehicle code infraction. California law says a vehicle in that condition isn't allowed on a public road. Has nothing to do with the driver, and in fact the car doesn't have to be in motion.

Same is true of an expired registration, missing license plate, smashed headlight, or any other visually observable code infraction.

If you toss it they'll just send you a notice home, and if you don't respond, the registration gets suspended.
Old 10-26-2004 | 02:14 AM
Banned

I always thought in CA.. it's illegal to have any tint on the front 3 windows.. and it's okay to have ANY tinting on the back 3.
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:03 PM
Drifting

basically, the law prevents you from having any shaded tinting on your front 3 windows (except for the top stripe on the windshield). however, there's no limit for the back windows. legally, you can get film for the front windows for UV reasons, but the film would have to be clear (not shaded) essentially.

i got my windows tinted with 35% all around just last week after having this discussion with some friends. the odds of you getting a ticket for front tint depends on the %, where you live, and what your car looks like. the darker the tint, the larger police presense, or the more your car is riced, the probability of getting busted is greater. however, if your tint is not darker than 35%, you live in a normal neighborhood, and you have something close to a stock tsx, you probably don't have to worry too much. if you are still concerned, i would suggest 50% or 55% for the fronts.

take a look at this thread if you haven't already: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=50%25

i've got 35% all around and a cruiser pulled up next to me a few days ago with all windows up (during daytime). didn't get hassled though. i'm kind of pushing my luck at night though.
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:11 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by sleeper
basically, the law prevents you from having any shaded tinting on your front 3 windows (except for the top stripe on the windshield). however, there's no limit for the back windows. legally, you can get film for the front windows for UV reasons, but the film would have to be clear (not shaded) essentially.

i got my windows tinted with 35% all around just last week after having this discussion with some friends. the odds of you getting a ticket for front tint depends on the %, where you live, and what your car looks like. the darker the tint, the larger police presense, or the more your car is riced, the probability of getting busted is greater. however, if your tint is not darker than 35%, you live in a normal neighborhood, and you have something close to a stock tsx, you probably don't have to worry too much. if you are still concerned, i would suggest 50% or 55% for the fronts.

take a look at this thread if you haven't already: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=50%25

i've got 35% all around and a cruiser pulled up next to me a few days ago with all windows up (during daytime). didn't get hassled though. i'm kind of pushing my luck at night though.
I'd generally agree. The one thing I'd add (and I've said it elsewhere many times) is that illegal mods are a lot more problematic if you're often parking in a location where there is a regular "parking patrol" of some kind. Those people can and do write fix-it tickets. In LA they're actually encouraged to do it. So if you're often parking on the street in locations that are regularly patrolled either for meters or other parking violations, be especially careful. In my previous job I would not have tinted the fronts because parking on the street was often unavoidable, now I'm more willing to.