windshield sun shade

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield sun shade

Sun visor.

I'm looking for a windshield sun shade that fits the TSX very well. Does anybody know of one that is cut to fit it specifically or at least one that happens to fit well?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I know there are places that sell custom fit ones online. I have one that a friend gave me when he got rid of his old car that seems to fit with the two outermost panels folded.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I bought a no-name brand pop-up one at Target for like $6 that works well...I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I have one that a friend gave me when he got rid of his old car that seems to fit with the two outermost panels folded.
The one I bought at Target fits pretty well with the outside panels folded in. Its insulated, has reflective gold on one side and reflective silver on the other. They sell two sizes, I bought the larger.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Thriller

Originally Posted by jlukja
The one I bought at Target fits pretty well with the outside panels folded in. Its insulated, has reflective gold on one side and reflective silver on the other. They sell two sizes, I bought the larger.
Target brand for me too! 4 bucks red tag clearance sale last fall.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Instructor

On a previous post, someone suggested this shade from an online store:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx.html

(You'll need to scroll down some to see it.)
Old 04-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yeefuchew

Yeah i saw that one and i like it because it says "custom fit" but for some reason the picture does not look like it fits well AT ALL.

thats why i kept looking after seeing that post.

EDIT: I guess it does say Accord model shown. I thought that meant that the picture was of an accord with its shade. But now i see they mean its an accord shade in a tsx so they know it looks like it doesn't fit.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Pro

Look no further....

They are selling the Heatshield brand made by Canvas Works out of Sunnyvale, CA. This site is actually Carmichael Honda in the Sacramento, Ca area. I went there and bought the one custom made for the TSX. It's insulated and rolls up tight and unfolds flat and fits perfectly. You just drop down the sun visors for a "up on the glass" fit. It's very well made and will last for years and you can buy it for only $20.00 and never look back. It works GREAT!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:14 PM
BRH
BRH

From what I recall reading on their site, it specifies "fits 04 and 05 TSX". I tried e-mailing them about whether it also fits the 06 TSX and never got an answer. Anyone know how well it fits the 06?

Another thing was that shipping was around $8 from what I recall, making the total $28 -- a bit pricey for a sunshade.

I bought one today for $9 at Pep Boys but I have to wrestle with it to fit well........
Old 04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BRH
From what I recall reading on their site, it specifies "fits 04 and 05 TSX". I tried e-mailing them about whether it also fits the 06 TSX and never got an answer. Anyone know how well it fits the 06?

Another thing was that shipping was around $8 from what I recall, making the total $28 -- a bit pricey for a sunshade.

I bought one today for $9 at Pep Boys but I have to wrestle with it to fit well........

How much did you pay for your TSX????????

Take a leap of faith and just buy it and then you can tell me later how much you like it. I'm going on my 3rd summer and it's as good as new.

P.S. - It takes me 5-to-10 seconds to put it up and remember it's insulated. BTW - Some people spend $65.00+ for at best a like product.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BRH

I have one.

It fits perfect.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Pro

Another thing to consider if you live in a part of the country that regularly tops the 100 degree level is that an insulated sun screen designed for the TSX coupled with properly tinted windows goes a long ways toward keeping your car's interior a hell of a lot cooler. My car cools down very nicely when I first get and turn on the AC. And this is coming from someone who has a Nighthawk Black car!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Guinea Pig

I think I go the one from Target as well. It even said that it fit the TSX on the package.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Water
Another thing to consider if you live in a part of the country that regularly tops the 100 degree level is that an insulated sun screen designed for the TSX coupled with properly tinted windows goes a long ways toward keeping your car's interior a hell of a lot cooler. My car cools down very nicely when I first get and turn on the AC. And this is coming from someone who has a Nighthawk Black car!
Just tint the front windshield with some of that clear but UV blocking stuff. I've seen it do wonders on a display. There was a piece of glass tinted with the clear stuff and the display was done under a head lamp. Turn heatlamp on and it gets hot really quick, but slide that clear tint over the glass and you dont even feel the heat on you.
The stuff is made for windows... so you could try to get that for your car.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Still Water
Look no further....

They are selling the Heatshield brand made by Canvas Works out of Sunnyvale, CA. This site is actually Carmichael Honda in the Sacramento, Ca area. I went there and bought the one custom made for the TSX. It's insulated and rolls up tight and unfolds flat and fits perfectly. You just drop down the sun visors for a "up on the glass" fit. It's very well made and will last for years and you can buy it for only $20.00 and never look back. It works GREAT!
Another Heatshield user.

They work pretty well and they're a full custom fit. You don't even need to use the visors as they'll stand up on their own (at least they do on mine). The downside is that they're a bit large (depending on windshield size) compared to the foldable nylon ones.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Advanced

I purchased the CoverCraft UVS100 Heat Shield. It is custom cut to fit each vehicle. I have a 2006 TSX. I think CoverCraft only has it listed up to the 2005 model year. Fits perfectly (there's no difference between the 06 windshield and the previous model years). The part number is UV10861. Paid $49.95 at autobarn.

I had the same one for my previous car. They hold up well and don't look cheap like the roll up kind.

Good Luck.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Instructor

I have one of the Covercraft ones, Custom UV Shield Sun Shade, from Autoanything.com. It fits great and looks good.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Pics of HeatShield Shade in an '06 TSX

Originally Posted by smock9
Yeah i saw that one and i like it because it says "custom fit" but for some reason the picture does not look like it fits well AT ALL.
Here are some pics so you can make a more informed decision:

Exterior:

Interior:

Full-Car Exterior:

Old 05-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Instructor

Could we see a picture of what it looks folded up (or rolled up)? Thanks.

The sun visors are needed to keep it upright?

Jeff
Old 05-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Interior:

What is that wire on the right side of the dash?
Old 05-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Pro

That's not a wire rather the nylon/velcro tie strap. Width wise it rolls up fairly tight and it's the same height that you see in the picture. It does do a great job of keeping the inside front cool especially so when you have high UV rated tinted windows.

P.S. - Good job on the pics.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
i bought one thats fitted for the TSX from acura..perfect fit and works well..i paid around $25 for it..
Old 05-06-2006, 02:59 AM
I am Ahab!

Originally Posted by jwhite4
nope but it keeps it tighter against the glass
Old 05-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Pic of Rolled Heatshield

Originally Posted by jwhite4
Could we see a picture of what it looks folded up (or rolled up)? Thanks.

Jeff

It'll hold up without the visors, but, as Tony said, it's not as flush, which you'll notice more on the sides.

Also notice here the black strap in "action."
Old 05-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Instructor

If i were in the store and these two were sitting next to each other on the shelf:

i'd have to go with the first one because it looks like it holds tight against the windshield instead of wanting to curl back into its storage position.
Is this true? do the edges of the one that rolls up seem to want to roll away from the windshield?

Also, I have a radar detector mounted? do either of these acomadate a detector easily? I have my power cable running up the rear view post so thats not a problem.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:46 PM
I am Ahab!

they curl a tiny bit but it's still tight up against the window. I will say one thing against the roll up shade. It can be a little tricky when you have a pass. next to you and your trying not to smack them while rolling it up.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Instructor

If i were in the store and these two were sitting next to each other on the shelf...

i'd have to go with the first one because it looks like it holds tight against the windshield instead of wanting to curl back into its storage position.
Is this true? do the edges of the one that rolls up seem to want to roll away from the windshield?

Also, I have a radar detector mounted? do either of these acomadate a detector easily? I have my power cable running up the rear view post so thats not a problem.
If price is no object, then, of course, the first one is better. It should be since it costs over 2x as much. Even with the first one's free shipping, it will still be $11 more, so I would expect better materials, fit and functionality. But if you want the bang-for-the-buck and you don't mind slight edge curling, the 2nd is for you.

I have no idea about fit around a detector since I don't have one. I would suspect neither will have a problem or both will depending on how close the detector is to the windshield.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:02 PM
TSX

I got mine from Target also.

the brand is from www.winplususa.com
Old 07-16-2006, 04:47 PM
no0bIe

Purchased mine from Target as well .
Old 07-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

On my previous car, I had a roll-up kind, similar to the heatshield in the above photos, but a generic brand. It really did work well.

Now, I bought one of those wire "spring" style shades that is a metallic blue on one side. Looks really nice with the ABP paint scheme. I don't think it's as effective in keeping out the heat, but it does make a difference. Tint would help too, but I think it's the windshield that makes the most difference (and especially if you have tint everywhere else!).

One of the reasons I wanted to go with the "spring" style is that it folds up to about 1 ft. square... or maybe it's 1 ft. round... Anyway, it's small, folded up. The roll-up shade was more of a hassle. And yeah, passengers just didn't get it, although, any sunshade might be an inconvenience for them.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also got one of the folding circle one's, because I hate dealing with the bulky long one's that most people have. I got mine from Target for $6 I think. Fits quite well, and I store it in the back passanger seat pocket, where it's out of the way.

With that and a 15% tint, I've stayed cool even in the Florida/Texas heat.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ I'd have one of those if I could figure out how to fold them.

<--
Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Racer

^^ I"ve got one of those for every car. the best and most convenient!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

i'm going to purchase a pixar cars sunshade :-)
Old 07-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Thriller

<--
I have the exact ones from Target.

jlukja...hold screen like an open book, fold it close left-right or vice-versa, then place hands at the bottom corners and fold together with your hands joining screen at the middle. The screen should curl into the small folded circle that you can secure with the built-in band. Only took me 20 tries...practice when there's no one in the passenger seat.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Because Of You

Sun visor.

I'm looking for a windshield sun shade that fits the TSX very well. Does anybody know of one that is cut to fit it specifically or at least one that happens to fit well?
I got one from the 99cent store that that is exactly the same as the picture from BananaFusion. Mine is black with a dragon though.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<--

I couldn't for the life of me get it to fold based on the instructions on the back of the box, so I just googled the manufacturer (I don't remember the name) and they had a video of how it should go. It's really easy once you figure out the "trick"

I think it was this site: http://www.auto-expressions.net/FAQS_sunprotect.HTM
Old 07-18-2006, 07:02 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
I have one of the Covercraft ones, Custom UV Shield Sun Shade, from Autoanything.com. It fits great and looks good.

I have had the same one for over 2 years and it is still in great condition....Its a little pricey, but it looks OEM and the roll up ones usually look like crap after a while.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i saw this great infomercial:

https://www.autocooltv.com/ppc/index...=&refcode=ppcG

but anyways, i have one for $10 from walmart or pep boys. it's the one that is silver and reflective, and has all these tiny bubbles on it. works great. and fits fine (it's the large). i think it's slightly too big. just try some, if you don't like them, return them.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

The gold one (Jumbo size) at Target works great. It's called "Spring Shade" and apparently it's made by "On the Go!" which is a Target brand. It covers the entire TSX windshield and then some. Also, you don't have to roll it up. You just pop it closed.