will acura warranty cover rust on rock chips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 AM
07 NHBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you dont want chips, than dont drive. Its that simple.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Advanced

JWOOD AND RABICAN......thank you. i will go ahead and do that. rabican had more steps and products. that would KILL me if i do that all the time. and the rust/chip is the size of a pin needle hole. if it was way bigger, then rabican would make sense. but in this case jwood would be more efficient. i don't know if i'm comfortable wet sanding and scraping my hood.

i just don't want the rust to go out of control. my father has a benze (sedan) and saw the rock chips all over the hood. he hasn't done anything with them and hasn't caused a lot of damage.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Cruisin'

I think the original "will acura warranty cover rust on rock chips?" question depends on the dealer you work with for service.

I recently took my '06 Milano Red TSX in for a driver's door lock actuator replacement and complained that the paint seemed to be chipping excessively compared to other Acura models and different manufacturers. After looking at my car, the dealer (Flatirons Acura of Boulder, CO) determined that the car needed a complete repaint and offered to do it as a warranty repair. The service manager also mentioned that this is not the first TSX that has had this problem.

Unfortunately, I'm now without my car for about two weeks while it's being repainted, however I was given a turbo RDX for a loaner to drive while my car is in service (a nice mini-SUV, but a little disappointing engine wise). However, after looking at the estimated $3,900 cost to repaint the car, I'll GLADLY drive the RDX for a couple of weeks!!!

In my opinion, talk with your dealer regarding the chipping. Not all chips will be covered under warranty, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I figured that I was SOL with my car, but to my surprise the dealer decided a repaint was the best option.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by glog999
I think the original "will acura warranty cover rust on rock chips?" question depends on the dealer you work with for service.

I recently took my '06 Milano Red TSX in for a driver's door lock actuator replacement and complained that the paint seemed to be chipping excessively compared to other Acura models and different manufacturers. After looking at my car, the dealer (Flatirons Acura of Boulder, CO) determined that the car needed a complete repaint and offered to do it as a warranty repair. The service manager also mentioned that this is not the first TSX that has had this problem.

Unfortunately, I'm now without my car for about two weeks while it's being repainted, however I was given a turbo RDX for a loaner to drive while my car is in service (a nice mini-SUV, but a little disappointing engine wise). However, after looking at the estimated $3,900 cost to repaint the car, I'll GLADLY drive the RDX for a couple of weeks!!!

In my opinion, talk with your dealer regarding the chipping. Not all chips will be covered under warranty, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I figured that I was SOL with my car, but to my surprise the dealer decided a repaint was the best option.
Wow, you totally lucked out!! Nice!

Make sure to fully inspect the repaint when you go to pick it up -- its not easy to properly paint a car, even the same colour, so make sure the work is top notch before taking it back. If you need to drive the RDX for another week for them to fix a problem with the repaint, so be it. You only really get one chance!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For minor rust on rock chips, I found it useful to just grab a clay bar and rub on it rigorously and the rust will be much less visible. Then just use a small artish brush to apply touch up paint.

Probably won't be as nice as the long instructions somewhere above but when you have a dozen to fix, gotta make some compromises!
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 AM
B A N N E D

It seems that the paint is really thin and cheap, I have a few rock chips on my Mazda and they have not rusted at all, even been through the rain, nothing, it seems Acura cuts the paint budget and puts it elsewhere. We had an MDX but not for long, biggest POS ever, but we did not notice any chips after 3K.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Seems as though the paint on the 2007 and 08 are a different blend that is stronger. Anyone noticed this?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX07
you don't have to tailgate to get rock chips. this is a pretty common issue among Acuras and tailgating/rocks hitting at 60mph does not explain why my coworkers 99 BMW M3 has zero rock chips and why my 07 TSX has them everywhere (hood, fenders, bumper, side mirrors).

I agree, tailgaiting has nothing to do with it.. I drive on the highway all the time and a truck in the other left quite a few feet away from me bounced a rock on to my windshield and now I have a horrible crack!!!!! I flipped out when it happened, and I have a bunch of rock chips for the same reason..... I had a 2003 Mazda 6 before this and drove on the same highways, and didn't have this amount of issues.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eggbert52
Seems as though the paint on the 2007 and 08 are a different blend that is stronger. Anyone noticed this?
can't really say that it is stronger at all. this might be a problem with just the TSX. My family has a second gen TL and a 1st gen MDX and they do not have as many chips as I do, but they have had their cars for much longer.