will acura warranty cover rust on rock chips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 AM
-Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will acura warranty cover rust on rock chips?

my 05 TSX, has a rock chip on the edge of the door panel. Its been like 2 weeks, and its rusted already.

Will acura cover this?

-mike
Old 06-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Racer

no i tried
Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Sucks. I just covered a chip with touch-up paint before it rusted. Hopefully it holds out. I have a feeling it happened with the car was in for service to get the clips on the headlights, per the TSB, because it wasn't there before, and the chip is right on the edge of the headlight. Grrrrr.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 AM
-Mike

hmm, im going to my deal tomrrow. I think its crap, that a 2 year old car has rock chips to start with.

-mike
Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

let us know what happens, we all have rock chips
Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by yungwunn911
hmm, im going to my deal tomrrow. I think its crap, that a 2 year old car has rock chips to start with.

-mike
good luck-my car is 7 months old with rock chips thanks mainly to those trucks on the highways. The paint on the tsx seems to be lousy. My previous cars never chipped that easy. I use touch-up paint to stop it from rusting. looks ok at a distance.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
good luck-my car is 7 months old with rock chips thanks mainly to those trucks on the highways. The paint on the tsx seems to be lousy. My previous cars never chipped that easy. I use touch-up paint to stop it from rusting. looks ok at a distance.
seems to be?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by joerockt
seems to be?
let me change that IT IS LOUSY-MUST BE WATERPAINT
Old 06-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Just dial 1911

let me change that IT IS LOUSY-MUST BE WATERPAINT
Shouldnt be a surprise. For the past 3 years people have been complaining about the paint on here...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,180 Likes on 688 Posts
Past three years? Since i joined back in 2000 ppl have been complaining about acura paint and rock chips

Shouldnt be a surprise. For the past 3 years people have been complaining about the paint on here...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Past three years? Since i joined back in 2000 ppl have been complaining about acura paint and rock chips
I was speaking specifically about TSX's and rock chips, but yea they all have the same issue...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
it's a car-drive it

I was speaking specifically about TSX's and rock chips, but yea they all have the same issue...
my 05 honda civic ex-se must have better paint-extremely few chips.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

-mike
Rock chips can happen on ANY car at ANY time, even during transport. Age of teh car has nothing to do with it. Following too close to a truck or even any vehicle on a road that isn't perfectly clear of all rocks, can and will cause rock chips.

To think this is Acura's fault and should be warrantied is crazy.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:47 PM
7th Gear

Should've bought a chip guard. I mean comon, imagine a little jagged edged rock hitting a painted surface at 60mph (100km/h). There is no chance for any paint to survive if it gets hit at the right angle... and your car gets hit with how many of these rocks daily? geeeeeeez

On another note, look into 3M Chip guard; clear plastic adhesive that goes on the front portion of the hood. costs a few hundred to save your $30,000+ car.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts

-mike
Don't blame Acura, blame the Environmental Protection Agency. The can't put any of the additives that make paint strong in anymore (like lead). Basically any thing that makes paint strong and chip resistant also seems to cause cancer/birth defects/poisons the water/destroys the ozone layer blah blah blah.

If you through a rock at 60mph at your house, the paint would chip too.

If you don't want chips, don't tailgate.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

you don't have to tailgate to get rock chips. this is a pretty common issue among Acuras and tailgating/rocks hitting at 60mph does not explain why my coworkers 99 BMW M3 has zero rock chips and why my 07 TSX has them everywhere (hood, fenders, bumper, side mirrors).
Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
where is my garage?!

word. i found a huge one on one of my mirrors. lots of indentations on the bumper too.

makes me sad since i'm getting the euro-r body kit. that thing is going to like like a crater-face after a few years.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:57 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by black label
Don't blame Acura, blame the Environmental Protection Agency. The can't put any of the additives that make paint strong in anymore (like lead). Basically any thing that makes paint strong and chip resistant also seems to cause cancer/birth defects/poisons the water/destroys the ozone layer blah blah blah.

if a truck drives by you and kicks up rocks that end up chipping your car-that is not tailgating. I drive alot on the highways and do not tailgate but still have rock chips. My other cars-05 honda and 05 hyundai-also driven the same way as the tsx-do not have as many paint chips combined. did the paint change from the 05 to the 06 model year.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Advanced

<- Detroit originally = worst roads in the country. I have probably 40 or 50 rock chips on the hood. Oh well, its a car and that'll happen. Acura will only cover if that rock chip rusts and then that rust eats a hole in the metal.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM
10th Gear

I just avoid freeways all together...living in the sf bay area it sucks ass but until I get my euro-r lip and clear bra it, my tires arent going to touch the freeway...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Switch
<- Detroit originally = worst roads in the country. I have probably 40 or 50 rock chips on the hood. Oh well, its a car and that'll happen. Acura will only cover if that rock chip rusts and then that rust eats a hole in the metal.
They will only cover it (as per their guidelines, unless you find a NICE dealership), if the rust was a result of a manufacturer defect, or started below the paint. Anything caused by road debris is not covered, even if that rusts... because the CAUSE was not ACURA's fault.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
-Mike

anyone think about adding extra layers of clear coar on their car?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, true, and true.... but I think Acura isn't the only company complying with the EPA (or at least I hope not), how come the other cars (non Acura's) I own doesn't have this problem? I think the paint on the TSX is just too easy to chip.

I too, have a few rust spots on the hood after paint chipped off. It's an '04, which means it's only 3 yrs old. What happens when the car is 7 yrs old? I can't imagine having a rusted HOOD on a 7 yr old car

Too bad Acurazine doesn't have a team that talks with Acura like the my.is (formerly is300.net) folks. Would be great if we can directly raise our concerns and feedback to them. Maybe we should talk to the AZ admins and get us such a team...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX07
you don't have to tailgate to get rock chips. this is a pretty common issue among Acuras and tailgating/rocks hitting at 60mph does not explain why my coworkers 99 BMW M3 has zero rock chips and why my 07 TSX has them everywhere (hood, fenders, bumper, side mirrors).
That's because he doesn't take the same route as you do, he doesn't go for the same driving holidays as you do, also he might drive to work at a different time when there is less traffic.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aaronng
That's because he doesn't take the same route as you do, he doesn't go for the same driving holidays as you do, also he might drive to work at a different time when there is less traffic.
Actually, he drives the same route I do everyday but comes in 30 minutes later and leaves 30 minutes later...we live pretty close to each other and take the same exact highways to work. I actually hit less traffic than him because I come in to work earlier and leave work earlier.

I mentioned the years for a reason, a 99 compared to my 07 that I just bought this year. You would think there would be SOME chips, but no.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Unhappy

Has anyone inquire to Acura about the lousy paint job ? I just got two chips on my passenger side front door from a small pebble kicked up by a passing car. This paint just chips off like as if it was not properly painted from the factory. My BMW 325 never had such problems. Even a civic has better paint job than TSX. For a $30,000 car, paint should be more durable than it is. should we start calling Acura customer service?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Instructor

I just noticed two chips that are rusting on my hood and the A piller (passenger side).

First off, i'm going to try to get it covered under warrenty. No car i've owned has rusted from paint chips caused by road debris (other than my TSX). If I leave it go, the whole hood will rust from underneath, won't it??

What happens if I cover it with touch up paint? will that stop the rust from spreading?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:43 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

No, you need to treat the rust.
Obviously the stones have managed to chip below even the primer layer leaving the bare chassis with no protection.
You'll be lucky getting Acura to cover under warranty, as it's simply a hazard of driving, over which they've no control.
Yes, their paint is soft, but they'll argue it's perfectly adequate, etc. but it depends on how hard and much you want to push the situation.
Good luck and let us know their response.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:00 PM
-Mike

To anyone who has been saying that "you can get rock chips anywhere, anytime" or EPA blah, please. That's really all excuses.

Like mentioned above, this is a $30,000 car. My family, including me, have own MANY BMWs. I owned a 1992 318, which is the CHEAPEST bmw, you could possibly buy and there were very VERY few rock chips on it even those chips DID NOT RUST.

For a car to rust, the BARE METAL, literally has to oxidize. If there is a small chip, and the metal isnt exposed, no rust will occur.

If you still want to defend acura on this, be my guest, but a 30k car should not have this issue.

-mike
Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 AM

yungwunn911 -- your 1992 BMW didn't have to conform to the EPA's mandate of fewer harmful aditives in paint. in 1992 you could add basically anything to the paint to make it stronger, etc... but these days you cannot because those additives have proven to be extremely harmful to people, animals, and the environment. By not having these additives, the paint is "weaker", and thus, chips easier.

I see you're in Jersey. industrial fallout will have a pronounced effect on how your paint looks over time, too. Say you get some rail dust or metallic particles embedded in your paint (highly common). Those particles will rust and take the surrounding paint with them, because the paint itself has metallic flake in it which will also rust. Its a compounding effect that you can't control easily without the use of a clay bar and careful waxing/sealing practices.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Well my Acura TSX is only 2 weeks old tomorrow yet when I drove on roads under construction I noticed little tiny bb like marks on the driver's side plastic bumper. Guess from reading what I've read on here I should be thankful. Nothing much I can do here right? As far as warranty is concerned.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by curls
yungwunn911 -- your 1992 BMW didn't have to conform to the EPA's mandate of fewer harmful aditives in paint. in 1992 you could add basically anything to the paint to make it stronger, etc... but these days you cannot because those additives have proven to be extremely harmful to people, animals, and the environment. By not having these additives, the paint is "weaker", and thus, chips easier.

I see you're in Jersey. industrial fallout will have a pronounced effect on how your paint looks over time, too. Say you get some rail dust or metallic particles embedded in your paint (highly common). Those particles will rust and take the surrounding paint with them, because the paint itself has metallic flake in it which will also rust. Its a compounding effect that you can't control easily without the use of a clay bar and careful waxing/sealing practices.
not all of jersey is industrial. there is quite alot of farmland and nice areas. try north west jersey it is beautiful there.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Advanced

not all of jersey is industrial. there is quite alot of farmland and nice areas. try north west jersey it is beautiful there.

Ok with all due respect if I was a moderator here I would say to keep on topic. I think ANY state could have these issues even in the most beautiful areas. I just don't see where this helps the thread.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:44 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by eggbert52
Ok with all due respect if I was a moderator here I would say to keep on topic. I think ANY state could have these issues even in the most beautiful areas. I just don't see where this helps the thread.
i just wanted to point out something about jersey. My 06 tsx has more road chips than my 05 hyundai elantra Gt. The hyundai has alot more miles and it is driven on the same roads as the acura. Our 05 honda civic even had less chips. Ok I back on topic
Old 08-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Advanced

ok after reading this thread, i learned nothing. how do we fix a rock chip that has rust already? wash it and then paint it? put some sort of coating on it? please advise. what have you all done to remedy the situation? AND PLEASE don't tell me go to the dealer. i want to do it myself. i'm an independent girl hahahahahaha ...... ok ok i'll be truthful.....i'll have one of my guy friends do it. but i'll buy the supplies.

please advise.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Instructor

(this is copied and pasted from car car thread)

1.Apply isopropyl alcohol (ISP) to a Q-tip and dab on the rock chip or scratch a few times.
2.Take a clean towel and dry the paint chip.
3.With a utility knife cut the paint around the edge of the chip, the edge of the paint chip indentation will be slightly higher than the surrounding area and/or the edge of the chipped area may have separated from the metal surface or there could be some wax/dirt in the area or the paint may have oxidized on the edges (it is not absolutely necessary, but it does improve the results and will avoid leaving a dark outline)
4.Angle your blade toward the centre of the chip and press down gently. Work slowly and carefully, removing a small piece at a time, it's not necessary to remove a lot of material. Clean the area with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) again and allow it to dry.
5.With painters masking tape cover the area surrounding the rust spot
6.Use Nikkens ™3000 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit Sanding Block to remove any rust
7.Or a Proxxon Mill/Drill Unit Micromot 50/E
- http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/acatalog...held_Tools.html
8.Use an AutoSharp paint pen (http://www.autosharppen.com) colour matched to your vehicle. The pen itself is very easy to use. You simply shake it, depress the felt tip a few times to start the paint flow, and then begin to "colour" paint into the damaged areas, much like you would highlight a section of text in a book.
9.Do not to try to fix the chip in one application, apply a small amount of paint and ensure that you cover a small area surrounding the 'chip', allow to dry, repeat over a couple of days. Once the painted area is slightly higher than paint surface, allow to dry.
10.Once completely dry, using a Nikkens™ 3000 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit Sanding Block (previously soaked for 4 hours or over night) to 'feather' and level touch-up paint with the surrounding paint surface
11.Use Woolite® or a car shampoo on the chip repair for lubrication.
12.Use a very light pressure on the sanding block, lightly wiping the area often to check your progress
13.Next, using a Nikkens™ 3000 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit Sanding Block to reduce the high spot off of the chip repair, using the block in one direction only. Do not use a circular motion (it will produce swirls) or a back and forth motion and ensure the sanding block is always wet
14.Keep the area well lubricated with water and shampoo; otherwise it will dull the paint. Once the surface appears level, use a block to squeegee off the excess water / slush (3M™ Wetordry™ Rubber Squeegee, P/N 05517, 2 ¾-inch x 4 ¼-inch) If the water you are using has a high mineral content, don't let it dry on the car, as it could leave spots which may bleed through the new paint.
15.Dry the surface with a clean towel and inspect with your fingertips.
16.If you can feel a high spot, repeat the sanding process.
17.If done correctly, you will hardly notice the repair.
18.A good car polish (Menzerna Intensive Polish or Menzerna Final Polish II ) will restore the paints lustre
19.Finally apply wax/sealant protection (See also Wet Sanding, Rust Decontamination)
Old 08-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSeXy_Grl
ok after reading this thread, i learned nothing. how do we fix a rock chip that has rust already? wash it and then paint it? put some sort of coating on it? please advise. what have you all done to remedy the situation? AND PLEASE don't tell me go to the dealer. i want to do it myself. i'm an independent girl hahahahahaha ...... ok ok i'll be truthful.....i'll have one of my guy friends do it. but i'll buy the supplies.

please advise.
If you do a search on the Wash & Wax forum, there are a ton of threads on how to do it but in short....

1) clean with alcohol
2) use a SHARP oject (knife or what have you) to tryand etch out the rust or uneven paint
3) clean again with alcohol
4) apply one coat paint via brush, toothpick method, or other
5) allow to dry for 2 days
6) apply another layer and allow to dry and repeat this step until you reach the level of the paint surrounding the scratch or above it
7) wet sand ir your comfortable, if not then use a light compound to even out the paint
8) apply as many layers of clear coat as you want in the same manor
9) apply wax to protect
10) done!

I personally will not be wet sanding as i don't feel comfortable doing that. i will probably just use the toothpick method in applying the paint, use a light abrasive to get it down, apply some clear coat and call it a day. Your only get more so no need to kill yourself, the few layers of paint and clear coat will help revent the rust from getting worse, just do your best in trying to get it off.

EDIT: HAHAH, i summarized what rubican just quoted so just ignore my post period!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Instructor

"rabican"

Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 AM
07 NHBP

Originally Posted by curls
Rock chips can happen on ANY car at ANY time, even during transport. Age of teh car has nothing to do with it. Following too close to a truck or even any vehicle on a road that isn't perfectly clear of all rocks, can and will cause rock chips.

To think this is Acura's fault and should be warrantied is crazy.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Instructor

i hope your kids eat lead paint chips

Quick Reply: will acura warranty cover rust on rock chips?