Why don't I get Nex Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009 | 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Why don't I get Nex Coilovers?

I got an email today from a member here and I wanted to share the question and answer with you guys because this sort of thing comes up from time to time.

Originally Posted by question from customer
Just wondering if there's a problem with nex gt or ss coilover why you don't have them listed on your site......
Originally Posted by And here is my answer
To be completely frank and honest, I can't keep up with all these cheap Taiwanese/Chinese import private label coilover systems.

First it was D2. Then Omni. Then K Sport. After that came Function/Form...Megan Racing...Nex...Stance...when will the importation of this crap end I wonder. The same company makes all of them. Bor Chuan Enterprises, now being marketed under its own name BC Racing!

I Google "nex coilovers" and all I get are a bunch of sites selling them cheaper than the next one, and eBay. Not even a corporate website!

I have a little bit of a problem with the fact that all these companies are selling the same "decent" suspension kits to so many people with nothing to differentiate them besides a name and color scheme. These are all marketing companies. The ones that cost more have more marketing behind them. Megans are cheap right? Look at their website...not a lot of marketing budget there. Nex=cheapcheap=do they even have a website? F/F=not so cheap....ooo fancy website. So Fancy it dogs down my whole browser.

Tein, on the other hand builds all their own suspensions in-house, does all their own R&D, test fitting, design, machining, painting, packing, etc. Seriously the guys over there at Nex DON'T EVEN PUT THE COILOVERS IN THE BOX. So what do I expect them to know about the product itself? If I need customer support what are they going to give me? I dealt with D2 years ago and I will tell you what we will get if you buy one of these systems and it is on backorder, or if it goes bad...you will get pissed off and you will get a headache.

Koni builds all their own shocks. They are rebuildable, customizable, etc. Koni and Tein both are heavily HEAVILY involved in racing. And while you might not race your car you know that the innovations that produce winning parts do trickle down into mainstream products. And god forbid you have an issue, they can FIX it for you, not just throw another damper from the pile at you.

So in a word, no there is nothing specifically wrong with Nex coilovers themselves. But selling them goes against what I believe is good business.

A good business will come up with a good idea,
it will develop the idea into a product,
it will market effectively and appropriately,
it will dedicate itself to improving the product to customer demand,
it will handle customer service issues professionally,
it will add traceability to production to track customer service problem to improve the product later, etc.

Obama's address yesterday might hit home with me a little harder in some ways than other people. I am a Manufacturing Engineer so I know what goes into a good product based company. The coilvoers produced by Bor Chuan Enterprises and sold under the brand name of the month are not unlike those cheap flashlights you get at trade shows. And that, in my opinion, has no business being installed on a respectable car.

Marcus

Forgive me if I happen to have stepped on any toes here. I would not mean to call anyone using these parts anything more than someone different than me. There is a time and place to run a cheap suspension, and I personally don't like to mod cars that way. So you won't see me pushing or adverting any of this stuff any time soon.

Note to the smartasses: before you call me hypocritical for listing D2 on my site, know that I put it up there for market spread. I have not sold one, NOT ONE, D2 suspension kit for the TSX ever. This after selling to TSX markets for over 4 years now. I get asked about it from time to time and when I balance the pros and cons of D2 versus Tein, I sell more Tein. I sell enough Tein to put me in their top sales rankings. And I get there because time and time again my tactics of honesty and integrity and commitment to quality offerings prompts my happy customers to tell other soon-to-be happy customers about it.

</soapbox>
Old 01-21-2009 | 04:58 PM
JDM Addict

well put.

suspension is not the place to be cutting corners at all.

well... I don't think any corners should be cut anywhere, but
particularly with suspension and brakes.

and thanks for the info on Bor Chuan Enterprises, that's good to know.
Old 01-21-2009 | 06:41 PM
Safety Car

Good shite. Lord knows we need this kind of enlightened vendor, especially since the ricer craze had some shitty ass fly-by-night parts out on the market.

Thank goodness we've come to our senses (for the most part).
Old 01-22-2009 | 07:59 AM
boost owns

Good post. If something's cheap it's usually for a reason. Do something right or don't do it at all.

(For reference, my Topspeed header was my only experience with a cheap Chinese knockoff part, and while I got my issues with it resolved, I won't be repeating the experience)
Old 01-22-2009 | 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Marcus, thanks for the info on Borchuan Enterprises. It was odd b/c I just saw another competitor put up some BC racing coilovers and I was wondering who they were.

I have always felt the same way about those cheap ebay knockoff companies. They do not invent anything. All they can do is copy someone else and they do a poor job of it. TEIN is a great innovator and so is KONI.

I sell some K sport here and there for those who want everything for less and they are firm, but I personally hate Megan. They have horrible customer service and their product isn't much better. I never even bothered with FF, D2, etc

BTW Marcus I'm boycotting you for selling D2 and Megan. That is just plain ignorant of you.
Old 01-22-2009 | 02:50 PM
Time to Climb

don't know about nex but i know about k-sport. build quality and value seem to be superb at the moment. i will keep everyone updated as to how my kontrol pro coilovers hold up over time (and yes, josh did advise me of other options).

decision for buying ksports: inexpensive, new top hats, vast amount of adjustibility. additionally, i change my suspension every year, so i figured "y not give them a try?"

i'm not a fan of knock-offs, but if they suit the bill, then y not keep my wallet a little lighter? the good old usa pioneered the capitalistic mindset and i'm simply playing along.

also, ksport is involved in various racing applications
Old 01-22-2009 | 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by godfather2
don't know about nex but i know about k-sport. build quality and value seem to be superb at the moment. i will keep everyone updated as to how my kontrol pro coilovers hold up over time (and yes, josh did advise me of other options).

decision for buying ksports: inexpensive, new top hats, vast amount of adjustibility. additionally, i change my suspension every year, so i figured "y not give them a try?"

i'm not a fan of knock-offs, but if they suit the bill, then y not keep my wallet a little lighter? the good old usa pioneered the capitalistic mindset and i'm simply playing along.

also, ksport is involved in various racing applications
I wasn't downing K sport as they have really stepped up their game in the past couple years. It's the D2, FF, etc and all the other copycats who came out after. In fact, K Sport has been displaying at SEMA for the past couple years and this year they introduced Air Suspension. It was some really nice quality stuff.
Old 01-23-2009 | 12:06 AM
2011 SH-AWD TECH PM

Marcus for President in 2016!

Tell it like it is.. Thats why your site stays in my favorites to buy from :o)
Old 01-23-2009 | 05:09 AM
Time to Climb

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I wasn't downing K sport as they have really stepped up their game in the past couple years
i didn't think that at all, not even from what marcus had stated in his original post. we are all just sharing our opinions/experiences
Old 01-23-2009 | 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Regardless who came first, or whatever, it is all very similar. I will concede that there are differences between these systems beyond the pure looks of the coilovers. How the companies manage themselves and their product support/customer support are all variables. Liquidity, debt ratios, etc all equate to how long the company will be around in the long run.

But the point that is the most important to me is, these companies have little manufacturing control over their items. I, and I am sure Josh too, get emails ALL THE TIME from company ABC, MNO, and XYZ from China looking to sell headers, silicone tubes, exhausts, I mean ANY of that shit you see on eBay. I can buy 300 "Heeltoe" Headers for a really low price and sell them to you guys, and then there will be all these posts about how similar they are to topspeed, or how they are perfect except for one thing...and I will have no ability to change them because some place in china just boxes them and ships them to me. My reputation become just a little damaged until I find a new factory somewhere to make them better. In the end, what am I doing but sticking my name on a part that I bought.

Guys, getting stuff made in south-east asia, it is a way of life now. And there are plenty PLENTY of great products made by reputable companies in foreign markets. I can accept that. But when one company relabels one product 10 different ways, and gets us all debating over which one is better, we are being played. And pretty soon, there are so many cheapie brands out there that the good stuff appears overpriced and we no longer buy good quality products. Our society becomes disposable, and the economy requires our continual spending to keep it alive.

Sound familiar at all?
Old 04-14-2010 | 03:25 AM
1st Gear

Hello Marcus, I bought at one time Nex GT, because of the interest backed guarantees that in case of breakdowns producer undertakes to deliver the new details over 500 km Nex GT began to bring some nasty surprises, the first collapsed Bushes brackets, then the anthers, which came on the new brackets to low quality had to put poleuretanovye Bushes, anthers replaced as well, but after the worn out shock absorber and the manufacturer refused to provide replacement parts.
Since the manufacturer Nex unable to find, and the dealer refused to provide information on his whereabouts, has decided to hold an independent investigation into who is doing this shit. One of the vendors indicated Bor Chuan, speaking that I will not say who his passing a dealer. It amused me somewhat. Random now stumbled on your words and searching the Internet a few more about the Bor Chuan as a producer of not only BC Racing, and Nex and Megan and other
Written letter to BC Racing, but they replied that they had no relationship to these brands and produce quality products.
I have one question, Marcus, so who produces Nex, if you know.
Although some details, specifically identify the relationships of Nex and BC.
In the end, shock absorber I dismounted and fired their rebild and replace the defective from the beginning of production parts and materials to those that will work correctly. I think that people should know the bad sellers and scam artists and do not give money for items unsuitable quality
Old 04-14-2010 | 11:34 AM
Advanced

way to bump this thread, if we're gonna talk, are we gonna take F2 off that list of unreputable?
Old 04-15-2010 | 05:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by supra300
Hello Marcus, I bought at one time Nex GT, because of the interest backed guarantees that in case of breakdowns producer undertakes to deliver the new details over 500 km Nex GT began to bring some nasty surprises, the first collapsed Bushes brackets, then the anthers, which came on the new brackets to low quality had to put poleuretanovye Bushes, anthers replaced as well, but after the worn out shock absorber and the manufacturer refused to provide replacement parts.
Since the manufacturer Nex unable to find, and the dealer refused to provide information on his whereabouts, has decided to hold an independent investigation into who is doing this shit. One of the vendors indicated Bor Chuan, speaking that I will not say who his passing a dealer. It amused me somewhat. Random now stumbled on your words and searching the Internet a few more about the Bor Chuan as a producer of not only BC Racing, and Nex and Megan and other
Written letter to BC Racing, but they replied that they had no relationship to these brands and produce quality products.
In the end, shock absorber I dismounted and fired their rebild and replace the defective from the beginning of production parts and materials to those that will work correctly. I think that people should know the bad sellers and scam artists and do not give money for items unsuitable quality

Ok, I barely understand what you are saying here, and I am not really able to respond for that reason. But, I have done more reflection on the issues discussed and have come to some new conclusions.

First and foremost, we try to represent products which our customers place the most value. That being said, going with inexpensive parts generally does meet with the values of many of our customers. The benefits of more costly units do not necessarily provide the utility that many customer need to meet and therefore we are no longer specifically recommending AGAINST going with lower spectrum brands.

Instead we are taking a more consultation approach and making sure that we educate our customers in the brands that are available so that we may find the setup that best suits their needs. This doesn't mean I recommend one thing over another in general...it just means that we try to recommend the thing that the person we are dealing with is going to appreciate most.

Marcus
Old 07-18-2010 | 02:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by supra300
Dude, a working knowledge of the English language is recommended before posting. As is basic knowledge of the space bar.