When is fuel cut?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003 | 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

When is fuel cut?

I hit 7250 RPM this morning (not totally on purpose), and didn't feel any fuel-cut "hesitation" or whatever you like to call it. Is FC at a really high RPM or what? I'm kinda .... but
Old 10-09-2003 | 04:23 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

I've found the fuel cutoff point is at about 7400 RPMS..
Granted, I hit it that one time on purpose.

What kind of damage can this do to your car if you hit this point often?

J.

P.S. When I rev my engine in neutral it cuts off at a much lower point. Can this damage your engine as well?
Old 10-09-2003 | 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Revving your engine with no load is much more dangerous than with a load (the inertial forces aren't balanced by combustion pressure). I think that's why they put that lower no-load fuel cut in.

Wow. 7400? I'll take your word for it.
Old 10-09-2003 | 04:32 PM
Registered AssHat

There's no fuel cutoff "hesitation". It really does CUT OFF. The means you feel like the engine just died when you are gunning the engine.

Either way It's around 7300 to 7400.
Old 10-09-2003 | 05:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by bowersan
I've found the fuel cutoff point is at about 7400 RPMS..
Granted, I hit it that one time on purpose.

What kind of damage can this do to your car if you hit this point often?

J.

P.S. When I rev my engine in neutral it cuts off at a much lower point. Can this damage your engine as well?
Hitting the rev limiter is not overly bad for your engine but I wouldn't recommend doing every day. Most manufacturers are fairly conservative with where they put their rev limiter but aparently there isn't much headroom above the 7400rpm fuel cut in the TSX. It's true what ClutchPerformer mentioned about unbalanced loads so I strongly recomend against hitting the rev-limiter in neutral.
Old 10-09-2003 | 06:05 PM
Audi Driving Snob

yup, i've hit the limiter at 7400rpm several times and I have the auto I'm betting the tsx could be tuned to make power all the way to 7400rpms which would probably do a lot of hp numbers.
Old 10-09-2003 | 06:06 PM
Racer

wow... i'll let you guys rev that high.
Old 10-09-2003 | 07:45 PM
www.boyzaudio.com

some where right after the redline. i've did it in the 3rd way too many times, coz there is where the sweetest power band of the car is. you get this quick burst of power right after 6000rpm where the vtec kicks in but unfortunately ends very soon at redline cutoff. (which really pisses me off... )

also, i found out that if you downshift too early. The fuel gets cut off until it's below the red line. it scared the hell out of me the first time. I was going into a high speed corner some where around 5000rpm in 4th. I hit the brake, hit the clutch, give it a litl more gas to go into 3rd. After i release the clutch, NOTHING!! No throttle control into a corner!! Then I see the rpm needle falling slowly from above the redline but no power to the car at all. and right after the redline, you get this sudden push as if someone just kicked you in the back. now i am more careful about that 4 to 3 shift but it's so annoying when you are driving "a litl" agreesively. i will be the first to get inline if some company can reflash the ECU to get 1k more rev to the cut off.
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:06 PM
TSXASORISREX

But, What does the car actully top out at mph wise? I was just wondering
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ahhh, high red-lines. I would tap 8100 in my GS-R all the time. Those were the days. Hitting 8000RPM's became addicting, the sound was so sweet I just could'nt resist.

And 8400+ in Type R test drives.
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:42 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by buffalo-tsx
But, What does the car actully top out at mph wise? I was just wondering
I'm sure of the exact specs, but let's just say, "go straight to jail" speeds.
Old 10-09-2003 | 09:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
I'm sure of the exact specs, but let's just say, "go straight to jail" speeds.
You are pretty right.

I have taken the steps to go to a high speed ring we have here in Quebec to really go all out with the TSX. This ring allows for 300+ kph (190mph), so if it works out I should be able to give you the numbers. I just expect there is no speed cutoff, only drag limited, and it should be in the whereabouts of 235-240kph.
Old 10-09-2003 | 09:31 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Aric

also, i found out that if you downshift too early. The fuel gets cut off until it's below the red line. it scared the hell out of me the first time. I was going into a high speed corner some where around 5000rpm in 4th. I hit the brake, hit the clutch, give it a litl more gas to go into 3rd. After i release the clutch, NOTHING!! No throttle control into a corner!! Then I see the rpm needle falling slowly from above the redline but no power to the car at all. and right after the redline, you get this sudden push as if someone just kicked you in the back. now i am more careful about that 4 to 3 shift but it's so annoying when you are driving "a litl" agreesively. i will be the first to get inline if some company can reflash the ECU to get 1k more rev to the cut off.
Are you saying that if you downshift so that your rpms will be past redline..the fuel will cutoff? Why would you want to downshift into that high of an rpm? If you do that you could easily cause damage to your engine...fuel cutoff or not. But I've never heard of a car doing this before, and really it would be completely pointless as it wouldnt prevent damage to the engine. The engine will still spin at that rpm for that speed/gear once you let off the clutch.... Its purely mechanical.

Many people have blown up their engines because of this. There's actually an RSX video on the net of some guy going from 3rd gear redline to 2nd by accident..and let me tell you a fuel cutoff wouldnt make a bit of difference. So i dont see any point to the TSX doing, plus I dont see why you would ever be in a situation where you would want to shift like this.
Old 10-09-2003 | 10:38 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by sauceman
You are pretty right.

I have taken the steps to go to a high speed ring we have here in Quebec to really go all out with the TSX. This ring allows for 300+ kph (190mph), so if it works out I should be able to give you the numbers. I just expect there is no speed cutoff, only drag limited, and it should be in the whereabouts of 235-240kph.
Interesting. The only thing I might caution you about is that it may be electronically limited to 150-155 mph like other cars (old Toyota Supras). When I read a magazine review of the Supra they said they hit the 155mph fuel cut off and it damn near threw them through the window.
Old 10-09-2003 | 10:49 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by fdl
Are you saying that if you downshift so that your rpms will be past redline..the fuel will cutoff? Why would you want to downshift into that high of an rpm? If you do that you could easily cause damage to your engine...fuel cutoff or not. But I've never heard of a car doing this before, and really it would be completely pointless as it wouldnt prevent damage to the engine. The engine will still spin at that rpm for that speed/gear once you let off the clutch.... Its purely mechanical.

Many people have blown up their engines because of this. There's actually an RSX video on the net of some guy going from 3rd gear redline to 2nd by accident..and let me tell you a fuel cutoff wouldnt make a bit of difference. So i dont see any point to the TSX doing, plus I dont see why you would ever be in a situation where you would want to shift like this.
Ahh the money shift!!! Great fun to watch!

Fuel cut is going to do dick all for you if your wheels are spinning the engine past redline.
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:56 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Fuel cut is going to do dick all for you if your wheels are spinning the engine past redline.
I guess that's one good thing about having an AT!
Old 10-10-2003 | 01:07 AM
Houston we have a problem

I saw a video (equipe rapide autox), a BMW M coupe mishifted, grind the gear, overrev the engine, spun but manage to go on, and then he accidentally hit reverse...I'll let you guy's imaginationn to do the rest....
Old 10-10-2003 | 01:13 AM
Registered AssHat

Bingo. I've almost done it before. 80 on the highway in my '97 Accord and missed 4th and into 2nd. Good thing I caught it and jammed in the clutch before I tore apart the engine and transmission.
Old 10-10-2003 | 05:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
I saw a video (equipe rapide autox), a BMW M coupe mishifted, grind the gear, overrev the engine, spun but manage to go on, and then he accidentally hit reverse...I'll let you guy's imaginationn to do the rest....
But isn't reverse on europeans at the extreme left of 1st gear? Isn't it really difficult to mistakingly hit reverse with that sort of a setup?
Old 10-10-2003 | 10:37 PM
www.boyzaudio.com

Originally posted by fdl

yes, the fuel gets cut off. never experienced it in any other car either. And you can bet i didnt do it on purpose. imagine this, you are driving at 4th@5~6k rpm. you need to make a 45degree right turn into a 180 degree turn corner at about 60~70mph. I dunno how you guys do it, but the way i drive,
1) I hit the brake, rpm drops
2) step on clutch, match the rev, downshift to 3rd(so i can get enough power to play through the corner if i need it)
3) drive through the corner with as much throttle as the car can handle without going sideways(too much).

and for some reason, it very easy to over rev the engine when i do the 4->3 shift.

I know all about the RSX-S blown trannys since i had the one of the 1st in town and was part of the clubrsx thing for the short period of time i own the car. I almost blown the engine twice, but it was mis-shift, not a regular downshift. I was lucky enough to feel the weirdness on clutch before i let it go completely. ppl were redlining 3rd, mis-shift to 2nd instead of 4th. And one of my friend/customer was one of the first victim when Acura decided they are not going to warranty situation like this(they paid for the first few incidents in north america). My case with the TSX is diff.

btw, i tried to brake a litl more before to avoid the situation at the same corner. I tried to keep the gear in 4th all the way through, but the rpm was too low when i get back on to the gas and it takes too long for the car to get back to it's power band, and the car feels kind of unsure.

also, most ppl wont drive this way on public roads and i wont recommend you to try either.

what the corner looks like:
Old 10-10-2003 | 10:49 PM
www.boyzaudio.com

Originally posted by sauceman
But isn't reverse on europeans at the extreme left of 1st gear? Isn't it really difficult to mistakingly hit reverse with that sort of a setup?
exactly, i cant imagine what the guy was thinking. all(or at least from 1990up) manual BMWs have the 1st gear on the left of the 1st gear. unless the driver is trying to shift into 1st for some strange reason, i dont know how he did it. Also, it's not that easy to get into the rev gear in a BMW either. Compared to other gears, you need to give it a much stronger pull(to the driver) to shift into reverse. I remember the first time i dont even dare to pull that hard afraid that i will be breaking something. And you can definitely notice the effort diff when you are driving the car.

best explanation i can think of is his shifter/transmission was xxxked.
Old 10-11-2003 | 12:05 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Interesting. The only thing I might caution you about is that it may be electronically limited to 150-155 mph like other cars (old Toyota Supras). When I read a magazine review of the Supra they said they hit the 155mph fuel cut off and it damn near threw them through the window.
I don't think a 155mph speed limiter on a tsx is gonna throw anyone out the window. Thats assuming a tsx can even make to that speed. On a Supra Twin Turbo, hell yeah. Those could probably get over 170 mph easily if it didn't have the fuel cutoff. BTW, don't all cars in japan have a limiter at 180kph. Thats only a bit over 100mph. Thats gotta suck, but most people probably find a way around that anyway.
Old 10-11-2003 | 12:32 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

On the TSX, fuel or ignition is cut under either of the following 2 conditions:
* engine rpm exceeds 7400
* vehicle speed exceeds [an unknown speed above 129 mph!]
Old 10-11-2003 | 04:51 AM
Racer

I saw a guy on the internet blow his engine in RSX-S by down shifting mistakenly at very high RPM. Can't find the picture anymore, but the whole engine literally blow into pieces.
Old 10-13-2003 | 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

i wish they had a soft cut out instead of bham!!! hard cut out.
Old 10-13-2003 | 04:19 PM
Advanced

Aric, be careful!
You could cause your front wheels to skid out of control with the
engine over-revved. Exit, stage left as they say!
You either need to jab the brake harder and get your speed
below the limiter before 3rd or stick it out in 4th.
Also, the financial damage from ruining your engine is not fun either. Happy driving!
Old 10-14-2003 | 04:13 AM
Instructor

A couple of things.

The M Coupe driver who shifted into reverse was doing an autocross at the time and assumedly was trying to shift into first for a slow turn (as you would). As an M Coupe owner myself I can tell you that you really do have to shove the shifter hard towards you to get it in reverse, but one would assume in the heat of the moment he just got carried away. I don't believe there was any other misshift or over rev involved. I have no idea what damage it caused, if any.

Secondly, there are two ways to overrev. One way is when going up through the gears though in most cases a fuel cutout will prevent damage. I don't think you will break anything bouncing off the limiter. If it causes an unpleasant loss of power then you may want to mostly avoid it (some cars have kind of a soft limiter). The "money shift" is caused by downshifting to the wrong gear (or in some cases, the right gear but at too high a speed). Generally slamming the car into second rather than fourth, or third rather than fifth. It is not incredibly easy to do, and generally means you are manhandling the shifter. If you don't realize what you've done before you let your clutch out you WILL destroy your motor (on many performance type cars). I actually got away with it once slamming a car back into 1st when aiming for 3rd (don't ask, it was 15 years ago). The car was not a performance car and though the noise and the rapid deceleration was scary the car was fine. I know I wouldn't be so lucky now.

C.