What do you all think to the TSX's exterior now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you all think to the TSX's exterior now?

Now that you've had the car for a while, seen a few on the road, and see lots of pictures, have your impressions of the styling changed at all?

I know I've been vocal in some of my complaints about the TSX (I don't like the tires or brakes, think the ride is stiff, and there are few areas where I think Acura cheaped out - like crappy OEM floormats and lack of heated mirrors.) but I have to say that I fall more in love with the way this car looks every day. Maybe it is just the color of my car that I like so much, but I can't wait to get into it everyday. I'm like one of those guys on the car ads who keeps making up excuses to run errands in his car (especially since I work at home a few days a week).
Old 10-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Jewdacris!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car looks great i think. It just has a nice stance to it. heated mirrors would have been nice, also would have liked doors that when you open they auto unlock but still overall for the price its an awesome car, i think theres only a few other cars out there right now that i would have thought about buying besides this. But for the price you cant go wrong
Old 10-29-2003, 01:39 PM
Not an Ashtray

The only car under $35,000 that I would take over the TSX is the TL.

As far as external styling is concerned, I also liked the Saab 9-3 and 9-5, the Audi A4, and BMW 325i. But, I still don't trust the reliability on any of these vehicles. I hated the external styling on the IS300 (just plain ugly!) .

If I trust the reliability, I think I would have probably looked more at the Saab. I really like the way the Saab looks and, like the TSX, there are not five of them at every stop light. It is not unsual for me to see four or five 3-series on the road before I get to work. They are sharp looking cars, but I've gotten so used to them that I never notice them anymore.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: What do you all think to the TSX's exterior now?

Originally posted by darth62
but I have to say that I fall more in love with the way this car looks every day. Maybe it is just the color of my car that I like so much, but I can't wait to get into it everyday. I'm like one of those guys on the car ads who keeps making up excuses to run errands in his car (especially since I work at home a few days a week).
I could'nt agree more. I still love the look of the TSX. Styling was probly the # 1 reason I bought the car. I still can't understand when people call the styling bland or boring. To me its the best looking car on the road
Old 10-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Not an Ashtray

Well, it is derivative but I agree that it is far from bland.

Part of the reason you like the look of your car so much might be the color. I love the Indigo Blue on the TSX as well as the Artic Blue we get down here.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
initiallly i thought the exterior styling was ok...i actually test drove the tsx at nite so i didn't pay to much attention to the exterior...what really sold me was the interior gauges and blue ambience light, but the more i look at my tsx, the more i'm falling in love with the angles and curves
Old 10-29-2003, 01:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I think the TSX will hold its exterior appeal for some time to come ... very classic, but stylish look for a 4 door. I love the front end (IS300-like w/o the ugly backend of that car).

I am just going to come out and admit it cause I know someone else did. I took a quick glance at a silver car and thought it was a TSX .... double take and it was a BMW 7 series .... they must have similar lines or something I guess
Old 10-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro

The interior far exceeds the exterior. The interior is very well laid out and is VERY nice. The exterior on the other hand is very simple and safe. I would have liked it to be just a little more aggressive looking with a few more subtle countours, indentations and personality. I think people look twice at the car because it is new and they are not sure what it is, but I am not sure it falls into the category of a real "head turner" as far as the exterior styling goes.
I like the look of the TSX, TL, 3-Series, A4, A6, G35, IS300, Saab 9-3 and even the Volvo S60 all for different reasons, but at least we have a lot of good looking sedans that we will be able to afford in our lifetime!
Old 10-29-2003, 02:15 PM
Not an Ashtray

Yeah, I agree. The interior is nicer than the exterior. I think I like the exterior so much because I love the Meteor Silver color.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by provench

I am just going to come out and admit it cause I know someone else did. I took a quick glance at a silver car and thought it was a TSX .... double take and it was a BMW 7 series .... they must have similar lines or something I guess
I was holding my tongue but a guy in my parking garage told me that he thought my car was a 7 series initally. Funny.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Advanced

I like the exterior a lot, although at times I can understand why some might not consider it "stylish" or "aggressive" enough. However, based on attention it's gotten in the month I've been driving it (some of which could be based on it being a "new" model), I'd say the exterior styling must be turning a few heads at least. I'd also agree with the comment that the BMW 3-series is so ubiquitous that it's begun to look boring, and the negative comments about the rear end of the IS-300. I like the Infiniti G35, though, as well as the Saabs (although I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole based on what I know about their reliability). I don't like the Volvo much, largely due to the same old square Volvo grill, which ruins it for me.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Racer

Looking at the TSX head on, I see a lot of '92 Prelude. Especially in the shape of the front fenders and curves up forward toward the side marker lights. I also like the C pillar and tail and the crease in the side looks great. I'm like DOMN, the styling drew me in. I was perfectly happy with my Durango and would still be driving it if I hadn't picked up that damn brochure while visiting the dealer with my other car...
Old 10-29-2003, 07:13 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: What do you all think to the TSX's exterior now?

I know I've been vocal in some of my complaints about the TSX (I don't like the tires or brakes, think the ride is stiff, and
Wow, u think the ride is stiff?
I wonder what you would think of other cars like the Type R, S2000, Evo, STi, etc.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

Well, there is reason I don't own one of those cars.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Advanced

I was also surprised by the criticism that the ride was "stiff," since that's one of the things I like best about the car - that is, a fairly "stiff" ride (without being harsh), something I was looking for in a new car. I hate the mushy, living room couch feel. If you want that, buy a Toyota Avalon.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Not an Ashtray

Well, to each his own.

As I've said before, it is possible to really like your car a lot, but not like certain aspects of it. I love the handling, transmission, drivetrain, interior, and exterior of the TSX. I don't like the brakes, tires, or ride. Ride quality is not all that important to me, so I'm willing to live with it. But, I do think the ride is pretty stiff.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:31 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Well, to each his own.

As I've said before, it is possible to really like your car a lot, but not like certain aspects of it. I love the handling, transmission, drivetrain, interior, and exterior of the TSX. I don't like the brakes, tires, or ride. Ride quality is not all that important to me, so I'm willing to live with it. But, I do think the ride is pretty stiff.
At first I thought it felt nice and firm. Now it just seems too stiff and bumpy and could do with a little smoothing out. I'm not talking mercury-marquis-snow-bird land barge smooth, but it shouldn't be so damn rough over a few small bumps.

-r
Old 10-29-2003, 10:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I think the ride is stiff as well. I enjoy it somedays and can't stand it on others. It depends on the mood I'm in I guess. Then again I'm coming from a GS-R and Civic. My wife thinks the TSX floats over the road.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Racer

I was never too excited about the exterior. The back is blah to me and the overall "hump" shape keeps it from looking like a sports car. I do like the Acura "grin" grille, though. The wallpaper on Acura.com with the side shot of the nose looks badass to me.

Interior indicators and lines are my favorite aesthetic quality. Handling is my favorite TSX driving characteristic. The navigation system gets the most passenger wows.

At first I thought it felt nice and firm. Now it just seems too stiff and bumpy and could do with a little smoothing out.
Same here.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dnl2ba
I was never too excited about the exterior. The back is blah to me and the overall "hump" shape keeps it from looking like a sports car. I do like the Acura "grin" grille, though. The wallpaper on Acura.com with the side shot of the nose looks badass to me.

Interior indicators and lines are my favorite aesthetic quality. Handling is my favorite TSX driving characteristic. The navigation system gets the most passenger wows.

Same here.
The back is blah is gettin old...It's just the opposite with me. I think the TSX looks KILLER from the back.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by idx
At first I thought it felt nice and firm. Now it just seems too stiff and bumpy and could do with a little smoothing out. I'm not talking mercury-marquis-snow-bird land barge smooth, but it shouldn't be so damn rough over a few small bumps.

-r
Exactly. Its a great car but the ride is too stiff and busy.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by domn
I think the ride is stiff as well. I enjoy it somedays and can't stand it on others. It depends on the mood I'm in I guess. Then again I'm coming from a GS-R and Civic. My wife thinks the TSX floats over the road.
It does float, but not in a good way. It responds to every dip in the road, and sometimes seems to take flight.

I don't like the ride at all, although that isn't the most important aspect of the car to me.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by swami
The back is blah is gettin old...It's just the opposite with me. I think the TSX looks KILLER from the back.
I agree. I always liked the back.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

Ive always loved the look of the TSX, but because so far Ive only had a chance to see a couple TSX's (driving by fast or parked) ive never had a chance to appreciate the looks while its driving. Well my new office has valet so everytime I go to pick it up I get to watch it drive down the street and I have to say its awesome to watch!!!
Old 10-30-2003, 04:35 AM
Cruisin'

it kind of ate at me when i showed my car to my parents for the first time and at first glance they thought it was a civic (they're old, forgive em). my best friend's sister thought it was a Cadillac CTS. a boss at work thought it was a Lexus. i guess nobody knows what it is and like someone said earlier, i think people notice my car more because they dont recognize it as opposed to actually liking how it looks. at certain angles i think this car is so beautiful and then again at other times it looks pretty "blah". the interior is what i'm most in love with.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Advanced

Coming from an A4 (with sport suspension opt) the car could exhibit less body roll (new springs and a fatter rollbar are contemplated) on turns but I like the exterior. Best views are from front and back. The side view IMHO is a bit portly with that high beltline. I think they could have done something here to break up that expanse of sheet metal - another line, some contrasting paint or trim. But overall very satisfied with the car and really appreciate the low numbers so few people really don't know what kind of car it is. BTW suspension is not that stiff - but ride quality is always subjective. And if I really had to pick I'd like less chrome especially the grill.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:53 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

We all know what I think of the TSX's exterior. Meh.

I have a few requests to make the exterior nicer. I wish the front headlights bent a little more, to make the car a tiny bit more aggressive. I wish the car was a little bit shorter in height. I wish the C pillar and the below-door piece was cut the the same way as the TL. I wish the wheel wells had more of a flare.

But other than that (which frankly, isnt alot) I think the car looks awesome. I was driving home beside one (a buddy from school) and I kept saying "Wow, that is one hot-looking car."

J.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the interior.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

The exterior is great. It's the reason I bought the car.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
The exterior is great. It's the reason I bought the car.
I like it too.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Rear corner is the best looking angle. The simplicity of the exterior is what's most appealing to me - I like that there are no side mouldings or bumper mouldings to clutter it up.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Spud
Rear corner is the best looking angle. The simplicity of the exterior is what's most appealing to me - I like that there are no side mouldings or bumper mouldings to clutter it up.
Exactly! I applaud Honda for keeping this design clean and sharp. I think someone (forgot who) said before that the TSX will look better in 10 years than the current 3-series, C-class, and A4. I think that's a true statement.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

I have to say that I like the looks of all the cars you listed quite a bit. I love the way the current generation of A4 looks.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Definitely. I'm not trying to say that the others look bad (I think the current A4 looks even better than the TSX), but I think they will be more easily dated in ten years or so. The IS300 is already dated with those juvenile foiled taillights.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bowersan

I have a few requests to make the exterior nicer. I wish the front headlights bent a little more, to make the car a tiny bit more aggressive. I wish the car was a little bit shorter in height. I wish the C pillar and the below-door piece was cut the the same way as the TL. I wish the wheel wells had more of a flare.
then it would look like a mini TL
Old 10-31-2003, 05:44 AM
Cruisin'

exterior styling

I appreciate the "edgy-ness" of the styling, especially the chopped rear end and the crispness of the head & tail lights.
I'm bored by the BMW 3 series, which is very common in Boston, and I can't look at the Saab 9-3 without thinking how unreliable my 2000 9-3 was. I do think the TSX will look current for some time & not fad-ish.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:36 AM
Intermediate

"The IS300 is already dated with those juvenile foiled taillights."

I think the IS looked dated the day it came out. By the way, one of the reasons I didn't buy the TSX is because the extrerior didn't do it for me. Now the interior...
Old 11-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Banned

I also think the TSX's exterior is awesome. Simplicity and beauty.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the front!!!! Rear could be a little better but its nice too.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:06 PM
Bound for Europe

I still love it. Probably more now than when I first got it. I the headlight cluster and the crease line down the side really has a beautiful effect in certain light conditions. The front end makes my mind think "hawk" for some reason
My favorite time to gaze upon my baby is down in the U-ground garage from a slight elevation. I walk up three steps and look back...ahhhhhhhhh
I love the interior even more!!!

Quick Reply: What do you all think to the TSX's exterior now?