What cars do people compare the TSX to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Top notch 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stphy32
OK the reality is that you cannot afford a Lambo if you have to live in it. How is that affording one? You cant really live in it so the truth is you cant afford it. I see what you mean yes they can buy the car but can they make ends meet to actually live if they have the car. no. So its not really affordable.

Sorry I dont mean to argue but do you get what I mean
Yes, I think we know what you mean...

For me, I understand exactly your point and I am not to argue against it or anything. The bottom line is that what GIBSON6594 and I said about "affording" (or let's say "manage to legally pay for") a Lambo is theoritically do-able. I doubt either he or I would be crazy enough to go pull it off to just "prove a point", haha...

All just semantics
Old 07-25-2005, 12:19 PM
tsxy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Yes, I think we know what you mean...

For me, I understand exactly your point and I am not to argue against it or anything. The bottom line is that what GIBSON6594 and I said about "affording" (or let's say "manage to legally pay for") a Lambo is theoritically do-able. I doubt either he or I would be crazy enough to go pull it off to just "prove a point", haha...

All just semantics
Yes I hear ya. On a much more realistic note, I have thought about trading in the TSX for a C 55 AMG
Old 07-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Top notch 6MT

Yes I hear ya. On a much more realistic note, I have thought about trading in the TSX for a C 55 AMG
AMG's are always nice... I hear ya on that too!

However (correct me if I am wrong), are all AMG's auto (yes, with manual-matic mode) tranny only? That's been my understanding, and that's been my "excuse" to not fall too hardly in love with AMG's...
Old 07-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Hondaholic

The TSX comes “fully equipped” (i.e. HID’s, heated seats, heated mirrors, homelink, auto dimming mirror, leather, 6 cd changer, premium audio, etc etc..) for invoice around what $26000 . If you were to fully equip (put the same things in) a Mazda 6, Altima and Accord it would be around the same price. Now if you were to put the same things that come standard in a TSX in an A4, BMW 325, MB C230, Infiniti G35 it would definitely not be around the same $$. You are talking an invoice price of well over $30000 for those cars. Well over.

My argument is price comparison........
While I don't find this statement to be untrue, I do feel that Acura has created and is marketing this car to compete against the entry level Euro cars (325, A4 and C230). That is costs far less is just a bonus, or a great selling point; of course some of that has to do with current exchange rates and the European economy.

As a general rule, the G35 is price/performance/size - wise on par with the TL......
Old 07-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I compared the TSX to the RSX type-S. I wanted the extra two doors. I was going to get a honda no matter what.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:32 PM
tsxy

AMG's are always nice... I hear ya on that too!

However (correct me if I am wrong), are all AMG's auto (yes, with manual-matic mode) tranny only? That's been my understanding, and that's been my "excuse" to not fall too hardly in love with AMG's...
Yesm, good for people like me who still dont know how to drive manual only
Old 07-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F-C
That's exactly how I feel, except mine was a 99 Prelude and I have a 04 TSX now.
me too! Once you love how Honda engine rev and how smooth a Honda manual box, you get screwed! you will be their loyal customer!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by ianS
me too! Once you love how Honda engine rev and how smooth a Honda manual box, you get screwed! you will be their loyal customer!

In my case, I had actually wandered off to BMW land (5MT 325i sport) along with couple AT Acura's (including 5AT RSX Premium) between my Prelude and TSX. Never happier than to be back in the Honda/Acura family of rev-happy I4 with top notch maual tranny
Old 07-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Overlord

This is getting pretty far out there...

Old 07-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Before I bought my 05 TSX, I looked at the 06 VW Jetta, 05 Subie Legacy Limited, Volvo S40, and a Camry SE.

Here are the reasons I didn't choose these cars:

06 VW Jetta
PROS - Good equipment level, brand new, looks decent
CONS - German reliability, brand new, didn't like any of the color choices

05 Subie Legacy Limited
PROS - 4 wheel drive; pearl white available, takes regular gas
CONS - a ted too small, rear seat doesn't fold down, front of the car looks too generic, stereo sucks, 4-sp auto

05 Volvo S40
PROS - distinctive styling
CONS - expensive to maintain, too small, too expensive,

05 Camry SE
PROS - cheap to maintain, cheap to run, cheap to buy
CONS - too common, have a hard time explaining to people that this is not my dad's car

05 TSX
PROS - loves the look (inside and out) and the handling, high equipment level, pretty good deal for the money, pwp available
CONS - rough ride (kind of got used to it), takes premium gas,

I know we've all made the right choice!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was interested in, and looked at: BMW325i, MBC230, Audi A4, Volvo S40, Lexus IS300

but, realistically speaking, I wasn't going to spend more than $26K-$27K so it came down to the TSX, Accord, Camry, Mazda 6. TSX features and ride the others.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:05 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

when i was buying, i shopped for a specific price range in mind and looked at the tsx, maxima, altima, mazda6, and s40.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

May not be the type of "comparing" the thread starter has in mind, but I do tend to be reminded of my 98 Prelude by my 05 TSX

To me, the TSX is like the Prelude, only with 2 more door, more room front and back, more torque, flatter torque curve, more luxury
The TSX just doesn't handle as well as the Prelude, which was my previous car. I think the Prelude must have a slightly stiffer suspension or something? I might like to get the CT RSB or A-Spec suspension to get the TSX to be more Prelude-like. (Would the RSB be enough? What would it take to get Prelude-like handling? :-) ) Although, the Prelude also improved quite a bit with real sports car tires....

I don't think the TSX is quite as quick either, but it's in the ball park. I enjoy the extra luxury features though! And the extra torque is noticable. It was one of the few cars I test drove that just felt "right" -- I'm not sure how much of that is good design and how much is going from one Honda into another.

Well for most your budget dictates what you buy. There aren't that many people who can afford a TL or an RL who end up in a TSX. I know there are some but not many.
I think there probably are a lot who don't spend up to the limit of what they can possibly afford. And then there are those who over-extend themselves and have too much debt. Why not draw the line somewhere and just say, "That's a crazy amount of money to pay for a car." I'm already going to be paranoid about where to park my TSX, etc. I'd just go nuts with a more expensive car.

I know the TSX comes with a lot of luxury features as standard, but you know, I only paid something like $3000 more for the TSX as I did for my Prelude, and that was several years ago! Pretty good deal, I think.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by vidgamer
The TSX just doesn't handle as well as the Prelude, which was my previous car. I think the Prelude must have a slightly stiffer suspension or something? I might like to get the CT RSB or A-Spec suspension to get the TSX to be more Prelude-like. (Would the RSB be enough? What would it take to get Prelude-like handling? :-) ) Although, the Prelude also improved quite a bit with real sports car tires....

I don't think the TSX is quite as quick either, but it's in the ball park. I enjoy the extra luxury features though! And the extra torque is noticable. It was one of the few cars I test drove that just felt "right" -- I'm not sure how much of that is good design and how much is going from one Honda into another.
with all your comparison on TSX vs Prelude...
Prelude definitely has firmer suspension and a lower center of gravity... though TSX handles well enough to be fun to drive, I suspect it will handle closer to the Prelude even with just an aftermarket rear swaybar, maybe plus better tires

Also true that TSX isn't as quick, simply because of some extra weight... again, quick enough for me (and most of us) to live with Besides, I am pretty sure Hondata reflash fixes that up
Old 07-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes

with all your comparison on TSX vs Prelude...
Prelude definitely has firmer suspension and a lower center of gravity... though TSX handles well enough to be fun to drive, I suspect it will handle closer to the Prelude even with just an aftermarket rear swaybar, maybe plus better tires
Well, the RSB is cheap enough for me to try. If it's that much better, you think I might not feel the need for the a-spec? Hmmm...

Also true that TSX isn't as quick, simply because of some extra weight... again, quick enough for me (and most of us) to live with Besides, I am pretty sure Hondata reflash fixes that up
Not on our '05s!

Seriously, I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually. I can wait.... I have to break the thing in first!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say....

Mazda 6
Honda Accord
Infinity G35
Lexus IS300
BMW 325
Audi A4

.......are what come to mind