it was all the motorcycle fault
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that police chief has a nice car.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm guessing the camera operator was also on a bike, as they were both -- whaddya call it -- lane cheating?

Although the Accord/TSX was signaling, it appears s/he was making a left turn from the #2 lane ... which is illegal in every US municipality I've been through. (Yes, I know this wasn't shot in America.) Here's a good illustration why.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 PM
User with Skills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice Euro R... dang it looks clean... ahhaah
Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Instructor

I bet it was a Chinese lady. When Chinese ladies hit someone, they tend to sit in the car... and after they realize they hit someone (1 minute later) they try to move* their car only to cause more damage. But very nice Euro. I wouldn't mind my pwp to look like that. I'm not racist, I'm also Chinese
Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
08 MDX with Sports

I think the traffic officer told the driver to move up a little so the car behind her can pass.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I'm guessing the camera operator was also on a bike, as they were both -- whaddya call it -- lane cheating?
Close, 'splitting'. That's illegal everywhere but CA in the US, right?

Although the Accord/TSX was signaling, it appears s/he was making a left turn from the #2 lane ...
I'm inclined to give this one to the Accord - watch close and notice that the turn lane the Accord wants is actually "full", in that there's a parked car as well as a crowd of people in it... (WTF??) so the driver was slowing to figure out just how to make the turn given all that crap was in his/her way, and the motorcycle got greedy and tried to speed past the Accord in the turn lane. It wasn't a good situation regardless, but I say motorcyclist had the biggest screw up.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like there was a police van parked behind the car that was either stalled or pulled over and a crowd of people in front of the that. The TSX signaled and was trying to pull into the driveway from the leftmost lane that could be used. No blame assigned to the TSX driver except that I probably would have checked my side mirror before pulling out. The motorcyle was lane splitting, he should have noticed the turn signal and slowed down.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This is old news...I've seen that video a couple of times here already
Old 08-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Racer

rofl how do you find a video like this. sit on youtube all day?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by popdakebin
I bet it was a Chinese lady. When Chinese ladies hit someone, they tend to sit in the car... and after they realize they hit someone (1 minute later) they try to move* their car only to cause more damage. But very nice Euro. I wouldn't mind my pwp to look like that. I'm not racist, I'm also Chinese
I don't think the Accord driver was a Chinese. There's a bigger chance that he/she was a Japanese. It happened in Japan.

I do agree that some Chinese ladies need to improve their driving skills and common scenes.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Driver/Detailer

Although the Accord/TSX was signaling, it appears s/he was making a left turn from the #2 lane ... which is illegal in every US municipality I've been through. (Yes, I know this wasn't shot in America.) Here's a good illustration why.
The left lane was blocked by the police. Look on the road, there is a solid yellow line just before the broken white line which incidentally is in front of the police station, so the EuroR couldn't have been able to be on the left lane since it is a PARKING lane. He would also have smashed into the parked police van if he wanted to drive on the left lane.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by popdakebin
It is a RHD car. Lady was the passenger.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by hunterk1
Close, 'splitting'. That's illegal everywhere but CA in the US, right?
It's legal in CA? Doubtful.
I'm inclined to give this one to the Accord - watch close and notice that the turn lane the Accord wants is actually "full", in that there's a parked car as well as a crowd of people in it... (WTF??) so the driver was slowing to figure out just how to make the turn given all that crap was in his/her way, and the motorcycle got greedy and tried to speed past the Accord in the turn lane. It wasn't a good situation regardless, but I say motorcyclist had the biggest screw up.
Right-o, the police car was stopped there; didn't notice that. In any book, passing to the left of a vehicle that is signaling a left turn, or passing on the right of a car signaling a right turn, is a special brand of stoopid. I recall it being called out in the Calif. driver's handbook as a violation.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 AM

The fact that this "just happened" to be filmed makes me wonder if it's an amateur JACKASS stunt....
Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
It's legal in CA? Doubtful.
Lane splitting is allowed and legal in California. Look up a copy of the motorcycle handbook and it explains the guidelines for doing it.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:52 PM

Well, I'm looking at pages 15 and 16 of the 2008 Calif. Motorcycle Handbook (dl665mcycle.pdf) and it seems to be "discouraged." The vehicle code (I used to have a copy way back when) may not prohibit it.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'm looking at pages 15 and 16 of the 2008 Calif. Motorcycle Handbook (dl665mcycle.pdf) and it seems to be "discouraged." The vehicle code (I used to have a copy way back when) may not prohibit it.
It might be discouraged but I've been to California several times and it seems every biker does it. It's common at stop lights to see a long line of cars and then a motorcycle pull up between 2 lanes and be right at the front of the line, then take off before the rest of the cars when the light changes green and be at the front of the pack.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
dude, take it from the californians when they say it's legal to split lanes. we freakin LIVE HERE. also, discouraged and illegal are two different things. prohibited or illegal is the word you're looking for.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM

Dudes, take it from a native Californian who also worked in law enforcement. (I was licensed (98 on the road test) before you were in diapers.) Just because you see "everyone doin' it" doesn't make it legal. What you're describing, Shawn, is to my knowledge not legal. Also something "discouraged" by an official publication might not be a specific citation, but a good cop can apply another code citation to cover such behavior.

Whatever. You want to think something's legal just because you see lots of folks doing it, God speed. And have fun in traffic court.

I only was curious if the handbook actually did "explain the guidelines for doing it." I don't think it did. Still got the PDF if someone can find another selection that discusses it.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Racer

Guys...... just a FYI... that video was taken in Japanese... not China or else where.... but I agree about one thing is.... most female chinese driver drove bad!! lol
Old 08-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Dudes, take it from a native Californian who also worked in law enforcement. (I was licensed (98 on the road test) before you were in diapers.) Just because you see "everyone doin' it" doesn't make it legal. What you're describing, Shawn, is to my knowledge not legal. Also something "discouraged" by an official publication might not be a specific citation, but a good cop can apply another code citation to cover such behavior.

Whatever. You want to think something's legal just because you see lots of folks doing it, God speed. And have fun in traffic court.

I only was curious if the handbook actually did "explain the guidelines for doing it." I don't think it did. Still got the PDF if someone can find another selection that discusses it.
Yes but you see the flaw in your logic is that it is not illegal. Aka legal to do. People can do it all they want because it's allowed. Take it from someone who's father was Highway Patrol (retired last year), you cannot and will not get a ticket for lane splitting. The law is written that two vehicles may legally occupy a single lane just for this reason.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 AM

So when I see two motorcylce cops riding together side by side in one lane, they're acts are illegal? Or when a cop split through the lanes on the highway during traffic hours, is that illegal too? I've seen plenty of cops do it. And aren't cops suppose to serve with integrity? Stop living in the 80's because this is the new millenium.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
- Lane splitting is legal in California.
- The video looks like it was taken in Japan
- In Japan, like in England, you drive on the left hand side.
- The solid line on the left would indicate that the left side was either a parking lane or an emergency shoulder.
- The motorcycle was in the wrong as he was using the shoulder/parking lane to pass.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Straight from law enforcement (see about 3 or 4 questions from the top).
Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 PM

O man what a big blow to david. "Take it from a native Californian" psh
Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Straight from law enforcement (see about 3 or 4 questions from the top).
(sorry, this is sooooo off-topic, but) Question #3 is a GEM: I'm pregnant. The HOV lane requires two persons in a vehicle. Now that I'm eating for two, can I use this lane? LOVE IT!!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:00 PM

CGTSX2004, thank you -- that's what I was looking for.

All others ... grow up. I responded to a post that said "the drivers handbook has guidelines for doing so," and couldn't corroborate that with the current publication. The CHP site has more specific info, $DIETY bless 'em. 'What a blow to me,' nothing. I left in 2001 and could be just as mistaken as mistaken as anyone else. Move on.