VSA does not work as I expected

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VSA does not work as I expected

I have a 2004 TSX with 12k miles on it and, since brand new. I felt strange things happening in the front suspension every time the VSA kicks in. First the car make a strange noise (like if something is broken), then the brake pedal goes all the way down and the car does not stop in a reasonable distance. At this time I have not tested the car without the VSA but for sure my previous car (97 Integra RS, with no ABS) stops better.

This thing is happening when I push the brake in ruff pavement, no matter if it is wet or dry. I am wondering if you guys had experience something like this before.

Thanks

Javier Ramon
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Old 01-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Pro

odd... I know when VSA kicks in when the front wheels loose their grip and also when the ABS kicks in, I hear these clicking noises from the engine but it goes as soon as grip is re-achieved.

When ABS kicks in, the pedal's never gotten down nto the floor, barely moves an inch and you have to really press it hard to get it to move.

I'd get yours looked at. Mine's an '06 tsx btw
Old 01-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by helraiser
odd... I know when VSA kicks in when the front wheels loose their grip and also when the ABS kicks in, I hear these clicking noises from the engine but it goes as soon as grip is re-achieved.

When ABS kicks in, the pedal's never gotten down nto the floor, barely moves an inch and you have to really press it hard to get it to move.

I'd get yours looked at. Mine's an '06 tsx btw

I have an 04 and mine is similar to yours. I've never had the pedal go to the floor ever. The only problem I've had with VSA is when I lost traction in the rear and tried to use the accelerator to pull it back in, VSA wouldn't let me... needless to say I fought the car back and forth and was unable to recover it.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are talking about the ABS system, not "VSA". IN any case, i think you need to take your car into the dealer .
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by moda_way
I have an 04 and mine is similar to yours. I've never had the pedal go to the floor ever. The only problem I've had with VSA is when I lost traction in the rear and tried to use the accelerator to pull it back in, VSA wouldn't let me... needless to say I fought the car back and forth and was unable to recover it.

Well don't leave us hanging... What happened next????
Old 01-24-2006, 09:47 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by javierr
I have a 2004 TSX with 12k miles on it and, since brand new. I felt strange things happening in the front suspension every time the VSA kicks in. First the car make a strange noise (like if something is broken), then the brake pedal goes all the way down and the car does not stop in a reasonable distance. At this time I have not tested the car without the VSA but for sure my previous car (97 Integra RS, with no ABS) stops better.

This thing is happening when I push the brake in ruff pavement, no matter if it is wet or dry. I am wondering if you guys had experience something like this before.

Thanks

Javier Ramon
San Juan, Puerto Rico

VSA kicks in when the yellow ! sign comes on....as these other people have said, it sounds like ABS, not VSA, but the pedal shouldn't go to the floor. also, since ABS is kicking in, it's going to take a bit longer for the car to stop (when you're hearing and feeling the clicking from the brake pedal). i'm assuming it's because the braking system feels the wheels bouncing over the rough pavement and losing traction momentarily, and thus, reacts so that the wheels don't lock up. it's normal, but the pedal to the floor is not.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:55 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by javierr

Thanks

Javier Ramon
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thanks to all for the hints. I will refer this to warranty during the next maintenance visit. I will let you now their answer.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If something might be wrong with your braking system, I would get it checked NOW, not later... but that's just me.

And, do keep in mind that the TSX is a bigger, heavier car and it takes longer to stop (ABS doesn't necessarily help you stop faster, but it'll keep you in a straight line so you don't lose control and go into a skid), especially than an Integra.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vitocorleone
If something might be wrong with your braking system, I would get it checked NOW, not later... but that's just me.

The brake pedal all the way to the floor thing would have me worried. The other phenomena you described can be attributed to VSA.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
10th Gear

I can attest to the same problem with the brake pedal, though the VSA issue sounds normal....

I was on vacation in nowheres-ville Kentucky and my pedal got mushy, enough to go down about 90% before any feedback. Once down, the pedal became very rough and grinded to a stop. If I pumped the pedal, first pump got me 50% feedback, 2nd pump about 80% and third pump about 95% normal braking response. Let off the brake for 30 seconds or so and the problem is back.

Called 3 dealers across TN and KY, they said it sure sounded like the master cylinder, but they have never ever heard of it going bad on any TSX since they rolled out the 04s. As I was 2+ hours from any dealership, my grandafther (a mechanic) bled the brakes as he suspected air was in the line. Fixed the problem, drove home, and scheduled a visit to the dealer. They did a "full check" and found nothing. So I'm concerned but go on my way.

Sure enough, about three weeks later, start up one morning and its back. Call immediately to Acura and get an appt. Pull it up and their "top" mechanic gets in (they were a bit miffed at me as I reported the "problem" last time and was unhappy they couldn't find anything) and pushes the pedal to the floor. "Well, that's not right. Somethings wrong."

They ordered parts, replaced the entire master cylinder, ABS parts, and full fluid change and now, no problems. I am, however, concerned that if this is so rare, will the fix hold up? Is this problem a part malfunction and not associated with any other system on the car? I'm worried that when resale comes at around 80k, it might have reared its head again... out of warranty.

Long story short, get it in ASAP. You're description soudns exactly like mine, and the Acura guys were very concerned and said it shouldn't be driven with that going on.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Still Water
Well don't leave us hanging... What happened next????
Let's just say that's how I got my new Comptech Exhaust.

... end of story....

Car osolated back and forth along with a trip from the fast lane to the slow lane and backward across to the median and backwards into a ditch... pretty hard hit, but no serious damage.

Cause: Sucky rear tires and a packed snow patch.

Of course as I'm sitting in the ditch, a snow plow comes by and plows the road clean like 2 mins after I'm in the ditch. Then a state trooper shows up and writes me a ticket for "failure to maintain control". AAA pulled me out...
Old 01-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Politico2005
I can attest to the same problem with the brake pedal, though the VSA issue sounds normal....

I was on vacation in nowheres-ville Kentucky and my pedal got mushy, enough to go down about 90% before any feedback. Once down, the pedal became very rough and grinded to a stop. If I pumped the pedal, first pump got me 50% feedback, 2nd pump about 80% and third pump about 95% normal braking response. Let off the brake for 30 seconds or so and the problem is back.

Called 3 dealers across TN and KY, they said it sure sounded like the master cylinder, but they have never ever heard of it going bad on any TSX since they rolled out the 04s. As I was 2+ hours from any dealership, my grandafther (a mechanic) bled the brakes as he suspected air was in the line. Fixed the problem, drove home, and scheduled a visit to the dealer. They did a "full check" and found nothing. So I'm concerned but go on my way.

Sure enough, about three weeks later, start up one morning and its back. Call immediately to Acura and get an appt. Pull it up and their "top" mechanic gets in (they were a bit miffed at me as I reported the "problem" last time and was unhappy they couldn't find anything) and pushes the pedal to the floor. "Well, that's not right. Somethings wrong."

They ordered parts, replaced the entire master cylinder, ABS parts, and full fluid change and now, no problems. I am, however, concerned that if this is so rare, will the fix hold up? Is this problem a part malfunction and not associated with any other system on the car? I'm worried that when resale comes at around 80k, it might have reared its head again... out of warranty.

Long story short, get it in ASAP. You're description soudns exactly like mine, and the Acura guys were very concerned and said it shouldn't be driven with that going on.
Actually, on my 04, I had the master cylinder go bad and leak on me during a long drive back down from Boston. While this problem does not appear to be widespread, is does seem to pop up from time to time.

I have a feeling that too much air in the lines is probably partly responsible for the leaks happening.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Actually, on my 04, I had the master cylinder go bad and leak on me during a long drive back down from Boston. While this problem does not appear to be widespread, is does seem to pop up from time to time.

I have a feeling that too much air in the lines is probably partly responsible for the leaks happening.
Oh, I can understand after seeing the brake fluid when I flushed it at 33k... it was SERIOUSLY dirty. Shove that crap through a master cylinder for a while and I can see how it would fail. I'm glad I got to mine when I did.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:41 PM
10th Gear

Just to note, my master cylinder failed at 5,000 miles.