Ultimate Car Care FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exactly, interior is important, after all you drive the car from the *inside*

Get 303 Protectant (there's a dealer search on their site, google for it) or Lexol's Vinylex. The 303 will leave more of a matt finish, which i think for the TSX is more desirable.

-vasu
Old 03-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Thanks.

What are the best washes to use on a weekly basis?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Racer

I just switched sides and became a Zaino user. Their wash is fine, I used the Finish First wash before.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Cruisin'

Vasu -

Great FAQ. I have a couple of comments/questions.

1. The claying process and/or preping the paint with a pre-wax cleaner (like One Grand Omega Hand Glaze or P21S Paintwork Cleanser) will remove the wax on the car far more efficiently than Dawn. The pre-wax cleaner also povides a really nice deep shine to apply your polymer or carnauba wax over. So if you are claying the car or using a pre-wax cleaner do you really need to use Dawn?

2. I recommend using a 100% Cotton Terry Towel, Cotton Terry Washmit (as you also recommend), or Sheepskin wash mit to wash the car down as opposed to a foam sponge. The sponge will not lift and trap dirt like any of the other methods listed above. Dirt will stay trapped between the sponge and paint as you slide it around. Even a natural sponge would be a better option (not much better and make sure you really clean it well before the first use to remove any sand or shells!). What ever the method you should rinse and rinse often!

3. Thanks for taking the time to consolidate all this information!
Old 04-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Racer

Originally posted by iVTECHokie
Vasu -

Great FAQ. I have a couple of comments/questions.

1. The claying process and/or preping the paint with a pre-wax cleaner (like One Grand Omega Hand Glaze or P21S Paintwork Cleanser) will remove the wax on the car far more efficiently than Dawn. The pre-wax cleaner also povides a really nice deep shine to apply your polymer or carnauba wax over. So if you are claying the car or using a pre-wax cleaner do you really need to use Dawn?
Probably not, as long as you do a god job cleaning and follow up you'll be fine. Here in New Orleans though, there's so much crap in the air, and on my black car, it really works out best to just sometimes wash it hardcore with Dawn and get all the crud from the city off.

2. I recommend using a 100% Cotton Terry Towel, Cotton Terry Washmit (as you also recommend), or Sheepskin wash mit to wash the car down as opposed to a foam sponge. The sponge will not lift and trap dirt like any of the other methods listed above. Dirt will stay trapped between the sponge and paint as you slide it around. Even a natural sponge would be a better option (not much better and make sure you really clean it well before the first use to remove any sand or shells!). What ever the method you should rinse and rinse often!
That's a good recomendation on both counts, esp the rinsing the cloth often. To be honest, I've really grown fond of the soft bristle brush things. Both one on a long stick and one with a short handle to get to the smaller areas. I can clean my car much more quickly by taking long sweeps across it, it's great! And the bristles aggitate well without scractching

3. Thanks for taking the time to consolidate all this information!
No problem, got nothin else to do. I actually turned this FAQ into a site for a web design project. When I have the time from class, other projects, I'll make the final changes and give the link out.

-vasu
Old 04-04-2004, 04:10 AM
Intermediate

Great thread! I just have a couple questions:

1. I recently bought a CG TSX. Do I need to wait a while before applying a polish (i.e. Zaino's ZFX)?

2. When doing the "hardcore detailing process" with the polish (Zaino's ZFX), should I use Dawn soap only for the first time? When it's time to apply again, say in six months, should I go through exactly the same process with the Dawn soap and all?

3. I am planning to use Zaino's polish. So I need ZFX, Z-6 ... but do I need Z-2 (clear coated car finish) or Z-3 (regular paint)?

Thank you for your time, and sorry if these have already been answered.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Racer

Originally posted by DeathClaw
Great thread! I just have a couple questions:

1. I recently bought a CG TSX. Do I need to wait a while before applying a polish (i.e. Zaino's ZFX)?
Now's a perfect time to do it. No need to wait, your paint is perfectly cured and ready to go

2. When doing the "hardcore detailing process" with the polish (Zaino's ZFX), should I use Dawn soap only for the first time? When it's time to apply again, say in six months, should I go through exactly the same process with the Dawn soap and all?
It's really a case by case basis. In my situation here in New Orleans, there's so much industrial fall out, pollen, sulfer and acid rain. Not to mention I have palm trees at my house that love to drop these tiny little, incredibly sticky pods all over my car. If your car is mega dirty on a constant basis, feel free to rewash with Dawn. If not, you'll be perfectly fine using a normal car wash and prepping it before protecting with either a clay bar, paint prep, or even better, both.

Some say using dawn twice a year is overkill and could cause damage, I disagree. If you're hesitant at all, don't feel forced to use it twice a year or at all if you don't want to.

Like I said in my situation, using Dawn twice a year really helps get those little palm tree seed/pods off and decreases the ammount of elbow work I have to put in when using a paint prep and/or clay bar.

3. I am planning to use Zaino's polish. So I need ZFX, Z-6 ... but do I need Z-2 (clear coated car finish) or Z-3 (regular paint)?

Thank you for your time, and sorry if these have already been answered.
Get ZFX and Z-2. Z-2 is for newer cars with clear coats, which is pretty much any car since 1990. Z-6 is an optional step, it's a spray that you spray on after maintainence washings to maintain your shine. It doesn't increase protection, just shine after using a normal car wash without having to re-polymerize, which you should only have to do 1-2 times a year.

-vasu
Old 04-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Racer

Deathclaw . . . Im going to agree with vasu. Take care of the car the day you get it. Its better - sooner. You might even want to consider clay bar use on a first time, new car application. You have the glorious opportunity of near-perfect paint. Take that extra hour or so and get absolutely everything off the car, and yes there are things that Dawn wont remove.

CG ? Is that charcoal grey? If so, you might want to consider the ZF instead of Z2. If you are not buying the kit - with everything in it - that would be a worthwhile thought. Z5 helping you to stay ahead of micro-swirling etc that almost always can be found - expecially on darker colours.

Z6? Depending on where you live, and your car care habits - simply washing the car with the Z7 car wash, and use of the Z6 extends the applied Zaino lifespan well beyond 3 months . .The car wash contains some enhancing polymers,and the detail spray makes the car seemed freshly treated. The joy of Z6, if the car is simply dusty (depending on rain fall where you live, this can be for 6 months of the year) - then all you do is dust the car, and then 3 minutes applying Z6 gloss enhance, and voile - the car shines like you spent hours on it....

Using Dawn afetr several months to apply more coats is not a problem really. The car likely still has Zaino on it, and Dawn does not affect Zaino at all. if you have treated the car well inbetween these "sessions" - it would be fine to do that before applying more layers. If that is what you want to do, it will be fine. BUT, why not apply more Zaino layers every so often. each one makes the car look better, as it layers up, and each one helps hide the swirls that might be there. It is so fast to do, I cant imagine going 6 months without adding many layers to increase the results . .
Old 04-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Thank you so much for the replies vasu and Homer2. You answered my questions perfectly
Old 04-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Question on Dawn.....I don't know what the dealer used to shine up the car when I bought it. If he used wax, would dawn hurt? I was planning on using dawn and then the zaino process w/ clay, polish etc.

Also - what is the deal with the "Only made in the usa" 100% cotton towels. I just bought a 100% cotton pack from Sam's, washed them and then noticed they are not "made in the usa". I assume this has more to do with politics than science?

I also boght the "absorber" - synthetic chamois, would I be better off w/ regular microfiber towels?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Racer

1 - Dawn will remove ANY wax on a car - plain and simple. Thats why we say t iuse it before the Zaino process begins - you dont want wax on it.

2- made in the usa or canada cotton ensures all cotton. offshore uses poly in the backing materials and only the nap is cotton. thats the way it is/was for a long time - different rules out there.

3- microfibre can not be beat for drying or polish removal, detail spray use etc . . keep in mind - drying m/f is different than polish removal/detailing microfibre. They are processed differently, and be sure which the manufacturer is giving you. A popular item on the net is the "big blue" type drying towel . . . you could check out www.waynestowels.com for some more ideas. he has great stuff . . .
Old 04-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Advanced

Thanks Homer.

So I guess I either need to cut off all the seams or return the towels. I will also be returning the "absorber" and getting some sort of microfiber towels for drying. I did get the Cali Water Blade as well.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Racer

its not just the seams, but that is important . .. it is also the backing material the cotton nap is sewn onto . .. thats the real potential for damage . . . thin nap, poly backing . .. yikes . .. if you want to stay with cotton, get Royal Velvet by Cannon Fieldcrest or go crazy and get their Charisma line . .. then again - good microfibre outlasts cotton as well as does more . ..
Old 04-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Advanced

hmmmm, guess I will be making a return trip to Sam's Club!
Old 06-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vasu, I have a few questions.

1) You mentioned that, back in the day, circular motions were used for "wax on, wax off", but now back and forth motions should be used. If so, how do you explain the popularity of orbital buffers? I have a 9" buffer that works awesome, and as long as you use a clean cloth, no swirlies.

2) Any comments about Griot's products? They seem pretty expensive, but it looks like they've been around for a while. http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

Thanks...
Old 06-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Racer

current polishers are random orbital . . . unless you spent the big bucks on a porter cable . .

the direction of application is as much to do with the way light deals with zaino as it is about marking the surface . . why enhance it - there are natural eliptical patterns in paint pigment, until you polish them down with wetsanding etc . . .. a porter cable with the right peoducts in the skilled hands of someone can and does do wonders . . .

the straight directions is about "countering" the already existing swirls . . . the product fills them better since you are crossing over the indent . ..

griots stuff is fine . .. you wont go wrong with that . ..

its best (if you can afford it) to try out as many products as you can (based on excellent referrals) - until you have your socks knocked off . ..
Old 06-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Racer

ditto
Old 06-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Racer

ah - the strong silent type huh ?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok. so I had wax on my car, as an experiment i used dawn to wash it. My car still beaded as if it had a layer of wax on it. If you guys think that dawn alone will remove wax, you need to rethink your process. Granted DAWN will remove a lot more than a regular car wash soap but I think you need to clay your car in order to truly get all the wax off.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Swirl Marks

My new car is about two weeks old now, and I'm starting to regret allowing the dealer to talk me into their paint protection. The more I look at the paint, the more I'm noticing all kinds of swirl marks, which I must assume they caused when they applied the stuff.

Question: How can I tell if these swirl marks are just in the paint sealant (Diamond Kote) they used, or if they're in the clear coat paint itself?

Will I have to get the car polished with a paint polish, as suggested here?

Here are a few pictures. These are some of the worst I've noticed, but if you look in the right light, the entire car is covered in fine marks like these. Note that these marks are not visible when looking at the car normally. You have to get up close, be in bright light, and/or look at an angle.

These are just three views of the same panel, because as the angle and lighting changes, you can see different things. Click on each picture to zoom in:

Old 07-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by cconrad
My new car is about two weeks old now, and I'm starting to regret allowing the dealer to talk me into their paint protection. The more I look at the paint, the more I'm noticing all kinds of swirl marks, which I must assume they caused when they applied the stuff.

Question: How can I tell if these swirl marks are just in the paint sealant (Diamond Kote) they used, or if they're in the clear coat paint itself?

Will I have to get the car polished with a paint polish, as suggested here?

Here are a few pictures. These are some of the worst I've noticed, but if you look in the right light, the entire car is covered in fine marks like these. Note that these marks are not visible when looking at the car normally. You have to get up close, be in bright light, and/or look at an angle.

These are just three views of the same panel, because as the angle and lighting changes, you can see different things. Click on each picture to zoom in:

Good LORD, the dealer did that shit??? Someone needs to get smacked. Take it to a professional and make the dealer pay for that get and get your money back for that shit job they did. Unreal.

Just another reason why you dont buy any extras from dealers. $500 for them to swirl the shit out of your car. This shit just gets me
Old 07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Update: The service manager saw the car and agreed that the swirling was unacceptable. (He also complimented my photography skills .) He sent the car out to a guy named Zoren at Detailz. He didn't consult with me before doing this; he just called to let me know what they did. Supposedly this is the guy they trust with their NSXs and their difficult black jobs. Anybody ever heard of them?

Anyway, I go back in a couple of hours to see how it looks.

I'm not sure I'll get any of my money back from them, mind you. But if it looks perfect I guess that will be okay.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the service manager tried to take care of you. I would have liked to have them made me the offer of paying for the detailing first (my choice of detailer) but it looks like they sent it to a reputable place. Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Yup, it looks good now. I'd say Zoran got rid of 95% of the swirls. You really have to stick your nose in it and get the lighting just right to see any now, which I'd say it pretty good for a black car. I'm satisfied.

Still, the overall experience has been frustrating; the service manager said he'd see what he could do in terms of getting management to give me some kind of refund on the initial protection stuff. We'll see.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by cconrad
Yup, it looks good now. I'd say Zoran got rid of 95% of the swirls. You really have to stick your nose in it and get the lighting just right to see any now, which I'd say it pretty good for a black car. I'm satisfied.

Still, the overall experience has been frustrating; the service manager said he'd see what he could do in terms of getting management to give me some kind of refund on the initial protection stuff. We'll see.
Well thats good to hear. Im glad the dealer is working with you.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Hey...I KNOW this is an old thread but I need help. I went through EVERY towel in Bed Bath and Beyond and Target yesterday and the closest I found was 100% USA made from Brazilian cotton. Should this mean it was held to US standards? It was Wamsutta collection.

EVERYTHING was from Thailand/Pakistan/China.

Anybody? Where else should I try or was that ok? What about bamboo thread towels. Those felt soft!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You will find more info in the "Wash & Wax" forum.

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/