TSX vs. Honda EX (V-6)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX vs. Honda EX (V-6)

Okay . . . I am looking to buy either a TSX or a Honda Accord EX V-6. Either one would be a manual transmission.

Besides the obvious differences (6 cylinder/4 cylinder, style, etc.), just what distinguishes the TSX other than the Acura name and several hundred bucks? I have driven the Honda and liked it, have not driven the Acura and would like to hear from people who have driven both.

I am especially interested in the quality of manufacture: little things that may not be obvious, for example, "The Honda has a plastic whiz-bang, in the Acura it's made of titanium."

Thanks to all.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChasC
Okay . . . I am looking to buy either a TSX or a Honda Accord EX V-6. Either one would be a manual transmission.

Besides the obvious differences (6 cylinder/4 cylinder, style, etc.), just what distinguishes the TSX other than the Acura name and several hundred bucks? I have driven the Honda and liked it, have not driven the Acura and would like to hear from people who have driven both.

I am especially interested in the quality of manufacture: little things that may not be obvious, for example, "The Honda has a plastic whiz-bang, in the Acura it's made of titanium."

Thanks to all.
- I think the Accord doesn't come with power passenger seats while the TSX does.
- TSX gauges look WAY WAY WAY better than Accord
- Accord center console looks better IMHO (I like the sharp triangular layout better than the plain TSX layout)
- Lumbar support on TSX
- HID on TSX
- LED taillights on Accord

I am not sure what else but I do think the TSX has more luxury features. Fyi, I test drove both the '06 Accord V6 coupe and the '05 TSX. I can definitely feel the power difference. The interior looks very very very similar, design and material. Handling, I felt more comfortable driving the TSX, felt like I been driving the car for years. Price is actually almost the same for a fully equipped Accord V6 and a TSX w/ navi. I think the Accord actually cost more!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Racer

Accord EX-V6 has power passenger seat...

It basically boils down to Bluetooth, HID's Dealer loaners, and handling perferences...
Old 12-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Instructor

accord has a much bigger back seat; might make a difference if you have a family. jps
Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as much as i love the TSX, i have to say if the AV6 was out with the 6spd (the sedan) when i was buying my car i'da probably gone that route.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
- I think the Accord doesn't come with power passenger seats while the TSX does.
- TSX gauges look WAY WAY WAY better than Accord
- Accord center console looks better IMHO (I like the sharp triangular layout better than the plain TSX layout)
- Lumbar support on TSX
- HID on TSX
- LED taillights on Accord

I am not sure what else but I do think the TSX has more luxury features. Fyi, I test drove both the '06 Accord V6 coupe and the '05 TSX. I can definitely feel the power difference. The interior looks very very very similar, design and material. Handling, I felt more comfortable driving the TSX, felt like I been driving the car for years. Price is actually almost the same for a fully equipped Accord V6 and a TSX w/ navi. I think the Accord actually cost more!
I think the Accord sedan does have a power passenger seat, but know the coupe does not. Haven't seen the TSX gauges, but was not happy with the Accord's because the steering wheel obscures them (I am 6'1", and playing with the wheel didn't help much). I liked the cenet console on the Accord, and the EX V-6 does have lumbar support.

At least from what I have read, and what posts after yours say, the handling on the TSX is better, and that is important to me because I just LOVE to drive . . . but the question is, "How much better?" I also have to say my ass was pinched a bit in the Accord's bucket seat. Not that I have a huge ass or anything (!), but I wondered about comfort on a long trip. I drive an older Accord now ('96) and it is quite comfortable.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro

Hmm...i guess the salesperson lied to me when i test drove the accord. I did test drive the coupe so maybe that's why. I am starting to lean more and more toward the Accord now. As for the TSX being an Acura, you have no idea how many times my gf would point at a TSX and say "Hey, look. There's your Acura civic." The sad part is, the TSX does look like a civic from the side......

Can anyone give a list of features that are on the TSX and not on the Accord??? Someone already mentioned the Bluetooth and HID. There HAS to be more!!!! What about MID and Aux Input? Memory Seats? Also, I am talking about the V6 coupe.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Pro

Ok...I did my research on Honda site and so far this is what I came up with.

TSX has the following that's not on the Accord:
- HID
- Memory Seats
- MID
- Bluetooth
- Aux Input
- New wipers
- 360 watts audio system (Accord has 180 watts audio system)

Accord has the following that's not on TSX
- V6
- More room
- LED taillights

So I guess the new Accord has the same features as the '05 TSX (except for HID). Feel free to add to this list.

Here's the link to Honda's specification for Accord Sedan (I figure it's more fair to compare sedan to sedan)
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...dan&Category=5
Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Advanced

I have been driving my Accord for a long, long time now, and have to say it is a wonderful car and owes me no favors. I have a 40 minute commute and the car holds its own with the best of 'em. Drives well in snow, too. In Buffalo, that is important!

Part of my dilemma has to do with the Acura as a status symbol. While the Honda Accord is a great car, Acura like Lexus connotes luxuriousness, and at my ripe old age (50+) I can afford the bucks for luxury . . . Hell, I could spring for a TL! Still, I am a practical man who understands that the majority of human beings are lucky to have one decent meal a week . . . And that when push comes to shove, we are fortunate to have decent cars, and for that matter, roads!

Philosophy aside, I do love to drive and appreciate automobiles (like computers) for their technological sophistication. But that Accord goes damn fast! Now, I can't wait to test drive the Acura!

Decisions, decisions . . .
Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your work, and post. I did a similar comparison the other night, but it was late and I didn't write it down and it got jumbled . . . Yours helps.

I was just wondering if there are difference beyond the paper comparisons, or if the Accord and TSX are fundamentally the same. The price difference is obvious: National Base Price for the Accord EX V-6 is $25,570 whereas the TSX invoice is $26,050 and the Base price is likely $750 higher than that, depending.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Greg-ster
Accord EX-V6 has power passenger seat...

It basically boils down to Bluetooth, HID's Dealer loaners, and handling perferences...
Don't forget the TSX also has two memory settings for the driver's seat (that is new for '06 though).
Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ChasC
Thanks for your work, and post. I did a similar comparison the other night, but it was late and I didn't write it down and it got jumbled . . . Yours helps.

I was just wondering if there are difference beyond the paper comparisons, or if the Accord and TSX are fundamentally the same. The price difference is obvious: National Base Price for the Accord EX V-6 is $25,570 whereas the TSX invoice is $26,050 and the Base price is likely $750 higher than that, depending.
Looking at cars.com, the MSRP for both cars are:

Accord V6 Sedan: $27,850
TSX w/o Navi: $28,505

Both are without navi and with destination. So the difference is not that much, less than $1k. Is that $1k worth the Acura name, just a tad more luxury but a smaller enginer? I been debating this for a long time too and most likely, I will be getting my '06 TSX next fall or early '07 to save some $$$.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Advanced

I think you have it down to the essential differences, and it does make for a difficult decision. I think I need to get behind the wheel of a TSX and see if it speaks to me! As you say, the cost difference is not that much . . . but oh yeah, I think the TSX guzzles premium gasoline while the lowly Accord gets by with regular . . . .
Old 12-07-2005, 11:05 PM
10th Gear

I'm in the same boat as ChasC. I turn 54 in 2 days and I like both the TSX and the AV6 6S. The Accord does burn regular gas and that's a plus. I've driven both the TSX two weeks ago and the Accord this past Saturday. In the TSX for performance, I had to work the engine, the Accord had push you into the seats power. I have a 24 mile commute and 20 miles of it is at 60-75mph. Being able to accelerate at those speeds is leaning me towards the Accord. Price wise they are close as I was looking at the 05 TSX.

The Accord web site says the 6M has a front shock tower cross bar. Can someone explain what that does and does the TSX also have one?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro

If power is really important, then I say definitely go for the Accord V6 or the MazdaSpeed 6...both are great cars with lots of power. I want a balance of power and luxury. Unlike most 22 yrs old, I don't just want a super fast car. I want a car that says I am successful, mature but fun.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by majorbike
I'm in the same boat as ChasC. I turn 54 in 2 days and I like both the TSX and the AV6 6S. The Accord does burn regular gas and that's a plus. I've driven both the TSX two weeks ago and the Accord this past Saturday. In the TSX for performance, I had to work the engine, the Accord had push you into the seats power. I have a 24 mile commute and 20 miles of it is at 60-75mph. Being able to accelerate at those speeds is leaning me towards the Accord. Price wise they are close as I was looking at the 05 TSX.

The Accord web site says the 6M has a front shock tower cross bar. Can someone explain what that does and does the TSX also have one?

Thanks
Strut tower bars are there to increase structural rigidity for better handling.

It's just a metal bar that probably costs no more than a couple of bucks to manufacture and doesn't really help all that much.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

HIDS!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The price difference is probably larger than you think. The Accord does not and never has sold at MSRP. The sticker on my 05 Accord EX-V6 coupe said $27,705 but I got it for $25,125 OTD. They sell in such large volumes that dealers can cut deals.

When my 2002 TL had woes earlier this year, I spent a month in an 05 Acura TSX loaner. So for a month, I had that TSX and my Accord V6 in my garage. I scrutinized both cars. Lots of people will say "Oh the TSX is built in Japan, that makes it better than the Accord." This is totally false. The TSX only had 400 miles (150 from me) so it wasn't suffering from "loaner" syndrome just yet. It had a misaligned dash piece and a rattling speaker. The Accord, which had 3000 miles at the time, had neither. There were no visible paint defects on either vehicle. The Accord is just as well put together as the TSX.

The audio systems in either car are pretty mediocre, IMO. The TL's stock Bose system shames them in clarity and fullness (even though lots of people call that system mediocre, too). The 360w TSX system doesn't seem any better than the Accord's unless you like your music REALLY loud. And you can adjust the equalizer three different ways in the TSX. The adjustments are as follows: No bass. Too much bass. All bass.

The TSX felt much sharper than my TL-P(albeit slower), but to be honest the steering on my Accord and on that TSX felt identical. Both cars felt agile, the Accord is by no means a boat. The TSX, with its bigger rims, better, wider tires would probably hang on better in curves than my Accord (stupid Turanzas) but the Accord would absolutely destroy a TSX on a straight-away. For 2006 the Accord has the same size rims and tires, so the playing field is more level.

In terms of features, the TSX has the Accord. Here's where you have to ask yourself what is more important to you? My TL has memory seats and unless you have a separate driver you won't really notice this feature. HIDs, on the other hand, are awesome to have. Bluetooth would be nice, as well. But the Accord does have heated and powered seats, so that's pretty good.

Safety is pretty even... both cars have VSA, the full array of airbags, etc.

Which is more important: (MUCH)faster acceleration or bluetooth/HIDs/memory seats?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

I'd pick Tsx over Accord JUST for the fact that there's about 20 accords for every tsx you see on the road. Sorry, but having a car that my neighbor and his neighbor and his neighbor ALL has bothers me.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Advanced

I find that the TSX is far sportier to drive over the Accord. The TSX is far more free revving and scores much higher in my fun to drive meter. I find that the TSX gives me everything I like about the Euro sedans in terms of driveability, luxury, and sport-fun factor, however it does so without the headaches of compromised reliability, bizarre re-sale, fuel guzzling engines and lousy in snow rwd that I find undesirable about the Euro’s. In some respects; it’s kind of like having an Accord without having to have an Accord.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The members who posted make good points and arguments but, when all is said and done, you need to test drive both yourself. The look and feel of a car is subjective. Its all about what YOU think.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Still Lovin my 06

people are saving now

Looking at cars.com, the MSRP for both cars are:

Accord V6 Sedan: $27,850
TSX w/o Navi: $28,505

Both are without navi and with destination. So the difference is not that much, less than $1k. Is that $1k worth the Acura name, just a tad more luxury but a smaller enginer? I been debating this for a long time too and most likely, I will be getting my '06 TSX next fall or early '07 to save some $$$.
people are getting good deals now. i think the tsx is worth it. smaller engine means better gas mileage no? and to me, the leather in the TSX was MUCH nicer than that in the accord, which is why the tsx seat seems to be more comfortable to me. just my input.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Still Lovin my 06

i agree.

Originally Posted by hellspare
I'd pick Tsx over Accord JUST for the fact that there's about 20 accords for every tsx you see on the road. Sorry, but having a car that my neighbor and his neighbor and his neighbor ALL has bothers me.

i agree....and it holds it value slightly better, but only slightly, because it's rarer. browse and see what some people are getting on trades!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
The members who posted make good points and arguments but, when all is said and done, you need to test drive both yourself. The look and feel of a car is subjective. Its all about what YOU think.
100% correct! This is a very personal decision that will probably end up being an emotional one as well. The logical side will lean towards the Accord because you get a lot for the money. The emotional side will say TSX because it's a lot of fun to drive!

One poster mentioned HIDs and this is something I won't live without. I've been driving with them for 5 years now, and cannot go back. I realize that my night vision is not what is once was, and the extra light outout is invaluable. This is not a luxury, but a necessity!
Old 12-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Instructor

I could never go back to a car without HID's. I feel blind when I drive my wifes Highlander compared to my TSX. Also, consider resale value. I bet the TSX holds its value alot better then the Accord. Just something to consider.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Colin
100% correct! This is a very personal decision that will probably end up being an emotional one as well. The logical side will lean towards the Accord because you get a lot for the money. The emotional side will say TSX because it's a lot of fun to drive!

One poster mentioned HIDs and this is something I won't live without. I've been driving with them for 5 years now, and cannot go back. I realize that my night vision is not what is once was, and the extra light outout is invaluable. This is not a luxury, but a necessity!
Also 100% correct. My issue with this argurement when it comes up, and it has come up again and again, is that some people will argue ad nauseum that there is no difference in driving dynamics between the two cars. Sorry, but this just isn't the case.

Go ahead and argue that the Accord is a better value, better bang for the buck, roomier, etc, etc, but don't tell me the cars drive the same. Even with the 6 MT, the Accord suffers in terms of road feel, handling and steering when going up against the TSX. There's really no comparison.

I agree about the HID's. Once you've had 'em, it's hard to go back.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Advanced

I definitely agree that you MUST test drive both cars. Before test drives I was figuring I would end up in an Accord V6 coupe. I really only test drove the TSX for the heck of it. After being on the road for 10 minutes I knew the TSX was the car for me. The Accord drove really nicely, but the TSX was FUN and had a nice ride. My butt was telling me the Accord weighed 1000lbs more. I know that's not true, but that's how it felt to me.

I'm not saying you will choose the TSX, I just think test driving makes all the difference.

On elast thing, I wouldn't let the premium gas difference be an issue. Think about it, that's about $150 a year difference. And that's if the Accord gets as good a mileage as the TSX.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:46 PM
User-N-Abuser

Question Not sure if this would make a difference but

Does Anyone know the difference between the Navigation in the 06' ACCORD and the 06 TSX?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Hey, thanks for all of the input! I am going to test drive the TSX tomorrow, I hope, that is if the weather holds.

My biggest concern about it is that there is one dealer in my immediate area (Buffalo NY: Ray Laks), so I may be limited when it comes to getting a good price. That said, there are several dealers in the NY metro area, and it's only a six hour drive, so . . . .
Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 PM
10th Gear

Thanks also for the information. I need to do more test drives and see which one suits me beter as they are both excellant cars. One thing I can't do is see how they are on a long road trip. I've owned 2 Accords in the past and expect a new one to be the same.

So for you TSX owners, how is the car for say a 6-8 hour ride?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:34 PM
no0bIe

Ok...I did my research on Honda site and so far this is what I came up with.

TSX has the following that's not on the Accord:
- HID
- Memory Seats
- MID
- Bluetooth
- Aux Input
- New wipers
- 360 watts audio system (Accord has 180 watts audio system)

Accord has the following that's not on TSX
- V6
- More room
- LED taillights

So I guess the new Accord has the same features as the '05 TSX (except for HID). Feel free to add to this list.

Here's the link to Honda's specification for Accord Sedan (I figure it's more fair to compare sedan to sedan)
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...dan&Category=5
This list right here, should justify it for ya. Besides how many hundreds of Accords do you see on a daily basis... On top of that the TSX is a somewhat of a rare car. Till this day I get people asking me "what type of Car is that?" Just my
Old 12-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I can offer a lot of input here, but this is one question I have no idea! There is nowhere that I could go that would take me that long.....
Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
the new 4 door Accords dont look at all as stylish as the TSX...too family car looking.

The 2-door coupe isnt bad looking, especially with the 6-MT wheels. I kinda wished Id looked at one before getting the TSX. I definitely would have picked it over the RSX anyway.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:44 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

. . . One thing I can't do is see how they are on a long road trip. I've owned 2 Accords in the past and expect a new one to be the same. So for you TSX owners, how is the car for say a 6-8 hour ride?
At first, my TSX was a bit uncomfortable on long (four- to six-hour) drives, and that bugged me a bit. But, after a couple months of wearing the seat in I find it supremely comfortable on long trips (I've gone up to seven hours) -- as much so as our (former) Volvo V70 which is renowned for it's marvelous seats.

As for the Accord V6/TSX debate, I agree you must drive both and I'd do it the same day. I, too, initially was thinking I'd buy an AV6 Sedan and drove the TSX on a bit of a whim after also driving the BMW 325i and Audi A4. Those were both wonderful, but over my price range. I drove the TSX for about a minute and it hit me: I found a car as much fun as those cars, except it was about the same price as an Accord. Essentially, it WAS an Accord, except it wasn't -- in terms of pulling up next to myself at every light -- and it was a Honda (I'm a Honda guy). Except it wasn't, having a little more luxury connotation to feed my ego.

I came home ranting and raving at my wife that I'd found the perfect car and , a year+ later, I feel exactly the same. I literally look forward to getting into my car every morning and evening! Funny how excitement almost always adds up differently in person than on paper.

I'll be interested to read your impressions, Chas C, after driving the TSX. Have fun!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

I haven't driven the Accords, but I expected that they would not be as sporty-handling as the TSX, so I didn't consider them. I like the looks of the Accord coupe, and I think that would be a good choice if handling is a not a big issue (which it isn't for most people). You'd get, in trade, probably a more smooth ride and more straight-line power. Personally, I like to be a bit more in-touch with the road, and the TSX is designed to do that and still be comfortable.

I agree with the others -- test drive both, and see if you like how each one feels.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro

Do you want a family sedan or a sports sedan? They both have their merits so it all depends on your needs and desires. I think you ought to also test drive the TL as it actually sounds like the perfect car for you.

The Accord continues its streak on Car&Driver's Top10 Family Sedan, and the TSX has been the #1 sports sedan (not sports luxury sedan... that's the BMW3) since it first came out. Can't go wrong, really... unless you choose one that doesn't meet your needs and desires!

test drive, and good luck!

fwiw - never had an accord, but, like others here, i absolutely look forward to getting into my tsx every day, and it's an '04 AT!
Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Have camera, will travel

Thanks also for the information. I need to do more test drives and see which one suits me beter as they are both excellant cars. One thing I can't do is see how they are on a long road trip. I've owned 2 Accords in the past and expect a new one to be the same.

The car is fine on the highway and for longer drives. In fact, I think it's an excellent highway car. Not as soft as the Accord, but plenty comfortable. The supportive seats help.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Colin
I can offer a lot of input here, but this is one question I have no idea! There is nowhere that I could go that would take me that long.....
Five laps around Oahu?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by waTSX
Five laps around Oahu?
Sadly, with the traffic these days. 2-3 laps would probably do.....
Old 12-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Race Director

The TSX has a longer warranty than the Accord and is less common on the road as the Accord. Since you already have owned a Honda right now, why not "graduate" to Honda's luxury nameplate? You deserve it, you only live once. That is what did it for me. After driving my parents hand me down 88 Accord and a 99 Accord, I felt it was time to graduate and move up.

Quick Reply: TSX vs. Honda EX (V-6)