TSX vs Accord V6 vs IS250 vs A3 vs 3series vs S40 vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by JTC05
That's funny because if I start a post TSX vs. C-clas, People will be coming out of the woodwork to bash mercedes. I like mercedes alot also, especially some of there newer models. I have always said that the TSX is a good car for mid 20's price range. But when someone asks about it vs. any german brand, the bashing is relentless. This is denial of admitting that your car is inferior. I'm not a huge BMW fan so I won't jump out and defend their interiors. They are a better car though. I would even say better than a TL. I like the RL, but again it is no A6, 5 series or E-class. Close doesn't count.
You can analyze the industry if you'd like, I just pointed out that your points about BMW interiors > Acura interiors is wrong in my experience, and that all german manufacturers interiors are definitely not equal. Indeed, you might have overextended the interior argument a bit, so it seems like you are defending A4, BMW 3, et al, for the sake of the german auto industry rather than comparing cars at this point. I can agree that Audi makes some great interiors, but your contention that Acura can't match a BMW is wrong, especially at the relatively lower price point we're talking about. The TSX interior is well-appointed and long lasting compared to its german competition.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys are really making it hard for me to make up my mind. I've always driven Toyotas and gotten over 200K miles from them with relatively little $$ in repairs. I'm not at all pleased with the new Toyota styling (except IS250) so I'm looking hard at the TSX.

but all this talk about rattles is making me worry. This thing better be rattle/problem free for 6 years or more (80K miles). hopefully more.

So how bad are the rattles ect on the TSX?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^IMO, the rattle issue is way overblown. Way overblown. I'm sure others will have differing opinions. What car have you ever owned that was completely silent?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waTSX
^^IMO, the rattle issue is way overblown. Way overblown. I'm sure others will have differing opinions. What car have you ever owned that was completely silent?
I haven't even reached my first service yet with the TSX and the annoying, rattling buzz coming from the b pillar next to my left ear is unbearable. The one that comes from the passenger side door at any bumpy surface, engine rev, or the stereo at any volume above 15 isn't as bad. At least I can drown that out by turning the volume to above 22. The cheap clunk of the doors still reminds me of a snapple cap. And to refresh my opinion on the interior qualities, I took the A4 for a drive this morning. No contest. Every surface is soft to the touch. The only hard plastic is the strip that runs along the dash similar to that of the silver one in the TSX. However the Audi's is a solid piece. Not the thin painted stuff used by Acura. This is why if you read any thread about a radio mod and removing the console, you will be warned that it scratches easily. Also the vibration that comes from the trunk area if you play music with any kind of bass. Any thread in the audio will teach you how to dynamat the doors and trunk. Why should you have to on something that claims to be a luxury brand? The Bose system blows away the TSX's. It is not even close. It claims that it is only 210 watts or there about. Acura claim 360. The Bose will reach sound levels that become way to loud at half volume. The sub in the rear thumps very well, all without inducing nasty vibes or rattles that send me looking for dynamat. The leather on the seats is probably twice as thick and soft. Same goes for the door panels. And lets not forget the double sealed doors, laminated glass and far better structure that quells all the road noise that I get in the TSX. Total sticker on the A4 at the time of purchase was $33,600. This is with Auto, AWD, Bose full power, trip computer, 17" wheels ETC. The car is an Avant which is more than the sedan and is better optioned than a non nav TSX. A simple reflash of the computer give you 215hp and 245lb.tq. So how does a TSX at $27,850 sticker claim it is an equal. Different class? Yes. Equal? Not quite. I'll Admit that to get the new A4 the price has gone up. Is it that much better in dollars than a TSX? Maybe not. Is it still a better car? By far. With the new engine there is no need to Reflash to beat it's performance either. If you did choose to reflash, you would be smoking G35's and TL's with ease. How much money do you have to spend on mod's on a TSX to match a TL. Isn't just cheaper to buy a TL? Or maybe just an A4.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:58 AM
VSA Rocks

I haven't even reached my first service yet with the TSX and the annoying, rattling buzz coming from the b pillar next to my left ear is unbearable. The one that comes from the passenger side door at any bumpy surface, engine rev, or the stereo at any volume above 15 isn't as bad. At least I can drown that out by turning the volume to above 22. The cheap clunk of the doors still reminds me of a snapple cap. And to refresh my opinion on the interior qualities, I took the A4 for a drive this morning. No contest. Every surface is soft to the touch. The only hard plastic is the strip that runs along the dash similar to that of the silver one in the TSX. However the Audi's is a solid piece. Not the thin painted stuff used by Acura. This is why if you read any thread about a radio mod and removing the console, you will be warned that it scratches easily. Also the vibration that comes from the trunk area if you play music with any kind of bass. Any thread in the audio will teach you how to dynamat the doors and trunk. Why should you have to on something that claims to be a luxury brand? The Bose system blows away the TSX's. It is not even close. It claims that it is only 210 watts or there about. Acura claim 360. The Bose will reach sound levels that become way to loud at half volume. The sub in the rear thumps very well, all without inducing nasty vibes or rattles that send me looking for dynamat. The leather on the seats is probably twice as thick and soft. Same goes for the door panels. And lets not forget the double sealed doors, laminated glass and far better structure that quells all the road noise that I get in the TSX. Total sticker on the A4 at the time of purchase was $33,600. This is with Auto, AWD, Bose full power, trip computer, 17" wheels ETC. The car is an Avant which is more than the sedan and is better optioned than a non nav TSX. A simple reflash of the computer give you 215hp and 245lb.tq. So how does a TSX at $27,850 sticker claim it is an equal. Different class? Yes. Equal? Not quite. I'll Admit that to get the new A4 the price has gone up. Is it that much better in dollars than a TSX? Maybe not. Is it still a better car? By far. With the new engine there is no need to Reflash to beat it's performance either. If you did choose to reflash, you would be smoking G35's and TL's with ease. How much money do you have to spend on mod's on a TSX to match a TL. Isn't just cheaper to buy a TL? Or maybe just an A4.
For those reasons above, I'm sure the A4 is better for you. However, I'd urge you to view some pre-owned Audi's on that same dealer lot and would like you to see how well that so-called immaculate interior ages. A friend of mine described his Audi as a "Lego set." Everytime he pushed a buttom, grabbed a handle, or pulled a lever, the darned thing would fall of.

But who cares? At least it will be "superior," right?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 PM
No-navi, yo

JTC05,

On the other thread, you were saying TSX drivers should be driving the vehicle hard and at high RPM, so the car is running "FAST"; if the drivers don't drive the way you do, they should get a civic or I-4 accord. Here, you are making all the complains about the interior and the "structure" of TSX, and how much you are discovering all the so-call-problems in TSX. And you praise about Audi, BMW, Mercedez.

So, please explain to me, how are you not a "poor-informed consumer" like I called you? Reading Consumer Report did not help you making intelligent decisions obviously.

Your argument is often long and windy, and more importantly, not focused. For example, you called the material Honda/Acura uses cheap and inferior, yet, you admit the car has a much longer life. Another example, in your most recent post, post #44, you pointed the huge price gap between A4 and TSX, $33,600 and $27,850 perspectively. Hey, did you forget who is the person who first brought in A4 in the discussion here?

It was you. Now, please stop stinking this place up,
Old 04-28-2006, 12:30 PM
No-navi, yo

I agree, the rattle problem in TSX is way overblown.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

JTC05, before you got your TSX did you look at or even drive one to see if you would like it? If so, then why did you purchase it, price only?

And what was your prior car(s)?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
I agree, the rattle problem in TSX is way overblown.
I would agree. The only rattle I've noticed is when you close the door with the window partially open and things in the storage compartments moving around on our "glass smooth" LA roads.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Oh no....BMW has cheap interiors, but nice leather and leatherette....
I would soooo have to agree!! My best friend just got an 06 3 Series and the suspension is less bouncy and the engine is creamy smooth, but the interior screams cheap compared to my TSX. I was so unimpressed with the interior besides the leather and the aluminum trim, and everything is an option too. And the iDrive is not user friendly in the least and the graphics were no where near as nice as Acura's, but the 3-D view is a nice feature though.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Have camera, will travel

Well, my reply wasn't directed at you, yet you posted a book anyway. We're all familiar with your massive travails vis a vis the TSX. It's a horrible, overrated automobile. Sell it.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by waTSX
Well, my reply wasn't directed at you, yet you posted a book anyway. We're all familiar with your massive travails vis a vis the TSX. It's a horrible, overrated automobile. Sell it.
I agree JT05, sell it. Why be a glutton for punishment? The best advice is next time, do your research beforehand. If you are citing Consumer Reports post-purchase, that doesn't strike me as being a conscientious consumer. Doesn't that strike you as odd? A test-drive could have easily told you half the things you cited as wrong with the TSX, such as stereo quality and interior quality with a test-drive, no doubt it makes me either think you aren't giving a pretty big financial decision its due diligence or you don't actually own it and are trolling around on this board.

Seriously, I hope you have better luck with your next car.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Kinda makes one wonder if he even really has a TSX or if he's just here to troll...
Old 04-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I agree JT05, sell it. Why be a glutton for punishment? The best advice is next time, do your research beforehand. If you are citing Consumer Reports post-purchase, that doesn't strike me as being a conscientious consumer. Doesn't that strike you as odd? A test-drive could have easily told you half the things you cited as wrong with the TSX, such as stereo quality and interior quality with a test-drive, no doubt it makes me either think you aren't giving a pretty big financial decision its due diligence or you don't actually own it and are trolling around on this board.

Seriously, I hope you have better luck with your next car.
i just find it HILARIOUS when people buy a car, and they dislike so much, yet they still keep it just to keep bitching about it. hey JT, sell your car if it's such a piece of crap. have fun with the a4 and hope it doesn't break down. it probably will though. it's ok though since it will have a nice interior and that makes up for everything.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Instructor

. . . I own a 2003 A4, and have had no problems. . . And to quell previous arguements about what Consumer Reports says, A4 was highly recomended and the TSX just recieved a standard recomendation. . .
I think it's fair to say that Consumer Reports liked both of these cars. But it's also fair to say that the predicted reliability of the TSX is higher than the A4's and owner satisfaction is higher with the TSX than the A4 (both ratings are on page 26 of the Consumer Reports to which you referred)

The overall reliability rating of the A4 is average (page 83). The TSX is above average (also page 83).

The 2003 Audi had negative marks ("worse than average" or "much worse than average") in five areas: Engine, Fuel, Ignition, Electrical, and Power Equipment. Older models are worse.

Several models of A4's and lots of other Audis are on the "used cars to avoid." (page 81) No Acuras are on that list.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi's are nice cars if you're willing to accept the greater risk.

Considering both Audi and Mercedes are built _statistically_ crappy compared to Acura (let alone Toyo/Lex), if I was going to risk a break down and/or spending a lot of time in a service loaner, I'd get a much sexier new Mercedes than one of those "gaping maw" new Audis. .02c
Old 04-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
Audi's are nice cars if you're willing to accept the greater risk.

Considering both Audi and Mercedes are built _statistically_ crappy compared to Acura (let alone Toyo/Lex), if I was going to risk a break down and/or spending a lot of time in a service loaner, I'd get a much sexier new Mercedes than one of those "gaping maw" new Audis. .02c
I will say, in my experience, Benzes have held up decently, but any maintenance costs were astronomical. They used to be a make that was about longevity and reliability, in addition to luxury. In fact that's part of luxury - you're supposed to feel like everything is taken care of. That's why its always weird to me, in recent exchanges, that the people that defend German auto makes always say that Honda/Acura people always fall back reliabilty and longevity as if we are copping out somehow. That used to be Mercedes Benz's calling card back in the day.