TSX vs. Accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 02:56 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX vs. Accord

okay. so here is my issue: i'm going to buy or lease a new car in a month, and i've narrowed it down to the accord, a nice, reliable, affordable car, or the tsx, which seems like more fun for about $5000 more.

what do you guys think? is it worth the extra $100 a month? will it last as long as the tried-and-true (if boring) accord?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Racer

IMO, TSX then Mazda6 then Accord. But if you don't mind the look of Accord, then Accord is a very good deal.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Welcome to the board JerseyGuy.

This subject has been beaten to death and back again so I doubt you'll get alot of responses. Use the search option in the top right of the screen and you'll find plenty of answers to what your looking for.

BTW, I chose the TSX simply because it looks so much better than the Accord Sedan. An Accord EX V6 is a value thats hard to beat though.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Instructor

It all depends which accord you compare it to... if you compare it with a V6 w/leather, the price is within hundreds on the 2004's.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:15 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/search.php?s=
Old 12-03-2003, 08:12 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

...sweet, another tsx vs accord thread. We need at least 7 active threads on this at all times, right?

IBTL++

-r
Old 12-03-2003, 08:33 AM
4th Gear

sorry, guys. i didn't read far enough down the board.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:36 AM
More On

Originally posted by JerseyGuy
sorry, guys. i didn't read far enough down the board.
Not much your fault -- those things get pretty far down pretty fast.

And the "Search" function isn't readily visible. Many of us long-timers didn't discover it for a long time.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a question: Why is it that the 0-60 times on the 4-cyl Accord and the 4-cyl TSX seem so similar? For example, ConsumerGuide gets the exact same figures. Now, I understand most of the additional power in the TSX is probably not going to show up at low speeds and the TSX is a bit heavier. But, the TSX 6-speed is more aggressively geared than the Accord 5-speed. I would think the TSX would do 0-60 in at least .5 secs faster.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:35 PM
More On

Originally posted by darth62
Here is a question: Why is it that the 0-60 times on the 4-cyl Accord and the 4-cyl TSX seem so similar? For example, ConsumerGuide gets the exact same figures. Now, I understand most of the additional power in the TSX is probably not going to show up at low speeds and the TSX is a bit heavier. But, the TSX 6-speed is more aggressively geared than the Accord 5-speed. I would think the TSX would do 0-60 in at least .5 secs faster.
I think the whole thing is that 0-60 times have so much error and variation. If we just look at the 0-60 times that different testers get for any one given car, we see right away that the published times aren't any ultimate answer; if they were, there wouldn't be such wide ranges for one car. Published figures for TSX have ranged from the low 7's to the high 8's.

I gotta believe that other things being equal, the TSX is better on 0-60 than the 4-cyl Accord. But how can we pin that down? Probably we can't. The degree of unreliability of any given figure may be greater than the actual difference between the two cars.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Racer

The same thought has plagued me somewhat. I've wanted to race my girlfriend in her '03 Accord coupe 4-cyl 5MT, but it hasn't happened yet. And even if it did, there's the driver skill factor (of course I'm the superior shifter ) If only I could race my clone driving her car...
And then there's the tires factor (I complain about my Michelins, but her Bridgestone's are slippy and sloppy) And I'd have to turn off VSA...

Regardless of the outcome of the race, I must say I like the way the Accord pulls hard when it hits second gear, whereas my TSX is relatively linear and boring acceleration when hitting second.

OK, enough from me now

On topic: JerseyGuy, you won't regret getting the TSX. Life is too short not to love the drive
Old 12-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
JerseyGuy, I was also considering the Accord (EX-L V6 with auto) until I test drove both vehicles on the highway. The Accord EX-L V6 with auto was very powerful with its V6 engine. However, it did not have that good road feel and the precision of the steering that the TSX did. Also, the suspension was a bit too soft for me - it was rather "floaty" if you ask me. So, even though the TSX was not as powerful, for its far superior handling, styling and luxury, I went with it and have been really happy with my decision.

Though the sticker price of the 04 Accord EX-L V6 is within hundreds of the TSX (non-Navi), you can get a huge discount with it. In fact, through the Costco auto program, I got a quote of $100 over invoice for it! So the difference was still much over $2000.

If you want a family car with lots of space and a bigger trunk, but handling and looks are not as important to you - get an Accord. If your priority is handling and style, then get the TSX.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:38 PM
6th Gear

re: Accord vs. TSX

I recently was faced with the same decision, and it was in fact Accord vs. TSX vs. Mazda6.

What wound up being the deal-breaker for me was that I was able to get a 2003 Accord EX V6 for about $4.5K Cdn (out-the-door) less than what a 2004 TSX would cost me. I did prefer the look and feel (and handling) of the TSX, but just not as much as would be needed for me to shell out an extra $4,500. If you can still find a 2003 Accord V6, I'd try to work a deal on that.

My personal impressions - the Accord V6 has an amazing engine that can pull away from anything but a pure sports car. It doesn't have quite the precise steering feel of the TSX or the Mazda6, but it still handles quite nicely compared with my previous VW Jetta, and it feels very luxurious and has lots of toys. The Mazda6 had the best handling feel (partly due to the sticky 17 inch wheels they outfit it with) of the bunch, but just felt cheaply put together. With Mazda, I just can't get my head around their thin, cheap-feeling sheet metal and plastics. I don't want to spend all that money to be able to see and feel cut corners, no matter how well the car handles.

The TSX was my favorite car - it really felt good to drive, and was a well-balanced overall package. I would just expect more engine for that kind of money (though the TSX's 200 hp engine felt no less snappy than the Mazda6's 220 hp V6.

For the record - the TSX felt noticeably faster and smoother in its power delivery than the Accord I4 in test drives. Mind you, they were AT test drives. Of course, the Accord V6 (and the Impreza WRX I test-drove in manual) both blew the TSX away.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Banned

If you like to drive fast, buy the TSX. The Accord with the V6 is a highway cruiser, but the TSX makes you WANT to drive fast.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Advanced

I own a 2003 Accord V6 6MT and I was looking into the TSX as well. It all depends on what your looking for. If your comparing 4 cyl Accord to TSX then I think the TSX is overall better car but for the price difference (about 6k) I would go with Accord unless you have the money to burn. If your comparing V6 Accord to TSX I believe that the Accord blows the TSX away. I test drove an TSX and wound up purchasing a 6 Speed V6 Accord. I love it!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Banned

In a straight line, the Accord outruns the TSX. In the curves, the TSX outruns the Accord. And yes, I am talking about the 6MT Accord V6 Coupe. Don't believe me? Check out the videos at Tower of VTEC.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:40 PM
4th Gear

I don't have a TSX but my mom does. And the first time I drove it I fell in love with it. I haven't driven the accord yet but I like the look of the TSX better. Now how much do you think the TSX K24 will go for. I want to put it in my civic.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:34 PM
10th Gear

Well I test drive a 2003 5sp and I liked it alot. I like the shifter this is. it reminds me of a integra gsr shifter. But I also test drove a tsx 6 speed I like that too. I like both cars. I have a 2002 accord 5sp so I like to drive a manual even in city traffic. It all depens on you and what you like. I realy like accord, no matter what badge is thas on it (acura/honda). One think I starting to like it the new TL and the 6 speed with it.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Banned

Yeah but how did you like the new Accord's styling? Mismatched front, center, and rear. Eeeeyucckkk. Also, the Accord's handling is strictly family sedan, whereas the TSX's handling is world-class.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:05 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by Iceman
Yeah but how did you like the new Accord's styling? Mismatched front, center, and rear. Eeeeyucckkk. Also, the Accord's handling is strictly family sedan, whereas the TSX's handling is world-class.
I've wondered if Chris Bangle is doing some moonlighting for Honda.

I think the styling is a matter of taste. Compared to one of these beauties (which looks like a garden shed on wheels to me) the new Honda Accord should be a featured exhibit at the Guggenheim Museum.

As for the handling, I considered that adding 17" wheels, performance tires and a strut tower brace to the Accord EX-L V6 the tab began to approach the TSX.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Drifting

I guess I must be in the minority here, because I really thought that the 2004 Accord sedan looked very nice... it is particularly stunning in black and dark blue! The enthracite color is rather nice too, though it somehow seems a bit matt to me. Just like the TSX, these dark colors really make the chrome trim around the windows really "pop"! If the V6 Accord sedan had handling similar to the TSX, I might have bought one myself, but then it's far from it...
Old 12-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Advanced

At first, I was not impressed with the 4 door Accord. I was very into the 2 doors (I did purchase one) but the 4 doors didn't impress me. Then, my brother-in-law purchased a 4 door LX V6 and a friend of mine purchased a 4 door EX V6 and my view changed alot on them. LX is Black and EX is White. Both look VERY lux. Yes, the handling isn't going to match the TSX's handling but just because it doesn't match it doesn't mean it doesn't handle well. It's still a very smooth ride (smoother than the TSX in my opinion) and great buy. Fact of the matter is, either car is a great choice. It all comes down to buyer preference. Good luck in your decision.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:25 AM
4th Gear

debate continues

well, since my boring life has sparked so much debate, i figured i'd give the update.

i managed to talk the acura guy down to 25,750 for the 6-speed tsx, about $1,250 off the sticker price, which is better than i thought i could do. with the $4,000 down payment, i'm still looking at a $430 monthly payment.

the accord guy was not a challenge to talk down. the EX, with the five speed (which no one seems to drive) and cloth seats, is $20,250. with the downpayment, i'm looking at a $321. i still haven't decided, and i plan to drive both cars again. but i'm leaning toward the accord EX, and rewarding my "frugality" with the leather package, which would add $1,300. i'd still be saving $90 a month over the TSX.

(as an aside, as i was crunching numbers, i thought, "how can i save enough money each month to make this work?" and noticed that my cable bills was roughly $90 a month. it was a brief moment that i considered giving up cable to join your TSX ownership club!)

thanks for the input.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Advanced

JerseyGuy,

Whatever you decide you will be happy. Yes I understand that the Accord is found alot more but it is a great car. You'll enjoy it very much and your right not alot of people have the EX 5-speed. Although the TSX is pretty rare now it will become more mass produced and you'll see alot more, it's just a matter of time. Either way, you cant go wrong either way.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:20 AM
Banned

The Accord is transportation, whereas the TSX is a gas!
Old 12-10-2003, 03:05 AM
Houston we have a problem

Why would you need cable TV when you have TSX? You'll be too busy driving the crap out of it...

enjoy...
Old 12-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Through my car shopping, I struggled with the same questions: price vs. style/fun.

The Accord EX i4 is definitely the value leader if your less interested (but still somewhat interested, don't get me wrong) in handling, style and exclusivity.

The TSX has everything the Accord EX i4 has plus:
- added features (e.g., HomeLink, HID headlights, perforated leather, 17inch wheels etc...)
- better handling
- more power
- more style and exclusivity

It's up to you whether these things justify the additional $$$. They did for me, and, I guess, most/all TSX buyers. But it's a personal decision that's more about what you want rather than what you need. My view is that I'd rather spend 15% more on something I really like than save the 15% and get something I only sort-of like...

I also considered the Accord V6. Similar MSRP to the TSX, but the only reason, to me, for getting it is the V6 power. I tested one and found the handling to be pillowy compared to the TSX and I much prefer the look and style of the TSX. Not having the V6 power is a small trade-off for the added benefits of a TSX in my view.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Great post Spud
Old 12-10-2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Spud
...The TSX has everything the Accord EX i4 has plus:
- added features (e.g., HomeLink, HID headlights, perforated leather, 17inch wheels etc...)
- better handling
- more style and exclusivity
I also considered the Accord V6. Similar MSRP to the TSX, but the only reason, to me, for getting it is the V6 power. I tested one and found the handling to be pillowy compared to the TSX and I much prefer the look and style of the TSX. Not having the V6 power is a small trade-off for the added benefits of a TSX in my view.
my thoughts exactly
Old 12-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Yeh Alot of this information is right, I traded in my rsx-S, and looked at both the accord, i didnt look at the Accord long, I tested them both, but the TSX felt alot better and the styling was a definite winner, the accord did not feel that much faster than the TSX as well, The tsx acceleration was very good and the responsiveness of the engine i felt was better,
Decide on how much room you want and the luxuries your looking for.

just dont do nothing you will regret later on,
Old 12-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Advanced

When I went outside to move my mother in law's new Accord, I couldn't believe how small and cramped the cockpit was, both leg room and head room, but I'm 6'2" so I say that about 75% of cars. I had a '93 Accord EX that I drove to 240,000 and it was a lot roomier for the driver. So that baffled me. The TSX is way roomier for the driver.
I honestly can't see how anyone can like the Accord's new styling. Someone mentioned how mismatched its exterior styling is; I agree that it's very awkward looking. I think it's one of the ugliest things on the road, even though I know it's a very good car and a good value. But if you like the styling and can fit in it comfortably, I can definitely understand getting it for the price. Also, I've never been able to understand why they don't offer the Accord V6 sedan with a MT, while making it available in the 4 cyl.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Not an Ashtray

I think the Accord Coupe is cramped, but the Sedan has plenty of room.

Funny thing is that the Coupe and TSX have similar head room on paper. But, I fit great in the TSX and bump my head in the coupe.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Hey JerseyGuy, I know exactly what you mean! It does make a lot of sense to pocket the $4000-5500 difference and have a lower monthly payment by getting the Accord, if that's your priority. I was in exactly the same situation just a couple of weeks ago - should I get the TL or TSX? BMW 3 or TSX? In the end, I decided to pocket the $6000 difference and use it on investment instead (investments may appreciate in value, but cars only depreciate!!! LOL)! And guess what - I love my TSX!!!

You will be very happy with the Accord! And like I said before, I think it's a very handsome car!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:08 AM
4th Gear

well, jeez ... you guys make a compelling argument!

i'm 6-1 and i didn't feel cramped in the accord, but there is no question that the styling in the TSX, inside and out, is much, much better.

and there is something to be said about being passionate about what you drive, i will agree with that. call it ego or whatever, but i do like the idea of telling people, "oh, i drive the new acura TSX" more than i do, "oh, i'm one of the 37 billion people who drive the honda accord."

of course, with the hemming and hawing i'm doing as i make this decision, soon i'll be riding in a new jersey transit bus!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by domn
This subject has been beaten to death and back again so I doubt you'll get alot of responses.

:shakehd:

What the hell what that guy talking about

I guess people love to talk TSX vs Accord

Get the TSX, you'll thank us later.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Why are we having this conversation, ? get the TSX youll definitely be happy with that decision.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Advanced

I know the TSX isn't so widespread now but I think that Acura will raise the production on them in the next couple of years just like the RSX. The RSX was very rare when it came out and slowly but surely it became just as widespread as an Integra. The same will happen with the TSX. If you are worried about what other people think of you when you talk about what car you own then I guess get the TSX. If you want a few extra grand in your pocket and would still enjoy the Accord, get the Accord. It's still your decision obviously.

This topic has gotten so long I forgot what car you were looking at. Was it the V6 or the 4 CYL Accord?
If not V6, definately look at V6 Accord maybe in 6MT. I love my 6MT V6. Car is so powerful and handles alot better than people might think. The car is so luxorious and I get tons of compliments on the car. It's also a great sleeper on those Mustangs :-) Anyways, good luck with your choice!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:04 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Go buy an Accord then, go hang out at a TSX board and raze TSX-ers all day about their cars being Accords too.

Why do people come here asking?

Should I get a TSX or a Pinto??
The url ain't www.A-Pinto.com.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Not an Ashtray

Get a TSX. The Accord Coupe looks like a nose with wheels on it, and the sedan looks like a camel.

Of course, I drove Accords for 15 years and loved them to death. But, Accords were cool back then. The new Accords are for wankers. Yeah...yeah...that's the ticket....only wankers drive Accords...
Old 12-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Racer

Get a TSX. The Accord Coupe looks like a nose with wheels on it, and the sedan looks like a camel.

Of course, I drove Accords for 15 years and loved them to death. But, Accords were cool back then. The new Accords are for wankers. Yeah...yeah...that's the ticket....only wankers drive Accords...
Post of the month!

Quick Reply: TSX vs. Accord