TSX from a TL owner's point of view

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Mr. Karma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
If you are this worried about a few extra bucks a month at the pump, you probably don't need to be buying a brand new $30,000 car in the first place......
Ok, majin, first of all, you don't really know me, so don't judge the way I'm deciding to spend my money. It's my business, not anyone else's. I came here to get advise, not to be criticized. And if you MUST know, we are able to get the car because we are about to come into a considerable sum of money, and will be able to pay for it outright. I am also going to school, and will be making much more money, but UNTIL then, the gas prices will be an issue. Not that it's any of your business.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:33 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicodemus
Ok, majin, first of all, you don't really know me, so don't judge the way I'm deciding to spend my money. It's my business, not anyone else's. I came here to get advise, not to be criticized. And if you MUST know, we are able to get the car because we are about to come into a considerable sum of money, and will be able to pay for it outright. I am also going to school, and will be making much more money, but UNTIL then, the gas prices will be an issue. Not that it's any of your business.

When you ask a question or make a comment in a open forum be prepared to get all kinds of different responses, even ones you may not like. Its just a part of posting. If your not prepared to be critisized then maybe posting isn't such a good idea.

And IMO, that comment wasn't crtical, it was advice.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Banned

Off topic but what's the gutters on TL side for ?
purely cosmetic or aerodynamics ?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by blackjackman

They allow the TL to acheive a top speed of 258MPH.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Mr. Karma

Originally Posted by domn
When you ask a question or make a comment in a open forum be prepared to get all kinds of different responses, even ones you may not like. Its just a part of posting. If your not prepared to be critisized then maybe posting isn't such a good idea.

And IMO, that comment wasn't crtical, it was advice.
First of all, I belong to several "open forums," am an admin at one and a mod at another. I know what it means to post in a forum. I know I'm going to get all kinds of responses. My point was that it really wasn't "advice" to tell me that I shouldn't be buying a car that I know how much it costs and that I know I can afford. It's not that I can't take criticizm, it's that I didn't think it was appropriate to what I asked. Had I asked "$40 more in gas a month is a lot of money to me, should I buy a $30k car," then majin's response would have been completely appropriate. However, that was not the question. I don't appreciate being told that I don't know how to handle my money, and even though he didn't say that outright, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to get the inference there. Open forum or not, real life or the internet, my response would have been the same.

The bottom line is that I know my financial situation, he does not. Perhaps I responded a bit strongly, but I don't know anyone that likes to be told what to do with their money. Do you? And before you say it, the question I asked was not an open invitation to asses my financial situation. I asked the question for help in making a decision. The money thing was part of the issue, something I already had taken into account. What I was looking for was owner opinion on the two cars to help me decide which to buy.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

And before you say it, the question I asked was not an open invitation to asses my financial situation.
Oh, is that what he did

The bottom line is that I know my financial situation, he does not.
Thats exactly why you shouldn't be upset at his post.

Anyway, whatever, I think you may be reading into his words a tad too deep. Good luck with your decesion. BTW, I say go for the TL.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:01 AM
6 speed yo!

I dont get why people critisize the TL so much. the TSX is based on the TL as it was designed before the TSX. its an acura. your suppose to critisize how ugly the mazda 6 are and the g35 not a TL.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Not sure about the TL being designed first, but regardless, they are built off the same platform along with the Accord (modified for each application) . IMO the TL is just a bigger more powerful TSX, not sure why it would be critisized either.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:22 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just because you have enough money to buy a particular car, doesnt mean you can afford it. To give a more extreme example, if I won 600K in the lottery I could still not afford an Enzo.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
Just because you have enough money to buy a particular car, doesnt mean you can afford it. To give a more extreme example, if I won 600K in the lottery I could still not afford an Enzo.

You wouldn't have qualified anyway NooB
Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic...but there is a reason for that on the TL...its not cosmetic or aerodynamics.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Mr. Karma

Yes, domn, perhaps I was. Looking back, perhaps I jumped the gun a bit, but I do know what I can afford and what I can't. And thank you for your input.

Continuing in response to fdl's comment... I know I can afford to buy AND own either the TL or the TSX. I can afford to pay for either at the pump... but why not save the money where I can? You get what I'm saying? Why pay $100 a month when you can pay $40? That was the essence of the question. What makes the TL worth paying the extra money for. I wasn't saying I couldn't afford it, I was saying that it was an issue to consider for me, that's all.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justinjsw
Off topic...but there is a reason for that on the TL...its not cosmetic or aerodynamics.

I already told him, its so the TL can go 258MPH

If thats not it then what
Old 08-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Mr. Karma

I've often wondered this very thing myself...

Oh, and Majin, I feel I owe you an apology. Sorry for jumping down your throad like that. Don't ask me what the hell got into me. I'm a little quick to the defense sometimes.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:41 AM
OG

I already told him, its so the TL can go 258MPH

If thats not it then what
If I just tell you, whats the fun with that
Old 08-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They're a part of the anti-traffic missile system that is an option on the 2006 model. The missiles just clip into the grooves and the targeting is done on the navi screen.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justinjsw
If I just tell you, whats the fun with that

Spit it out already !!!!!!!!

I was right about them wasn't I
Old 08-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
They're a part of the anti-traffic missile system that is an option on the 2006 model. The missiles just clip into the grooves and the targeting is done on the navi screen.
With a built in a$$hole targeting option. To be used to eliminate the a$$hole in front of you who is driving too slow, swerving, not signaling, talking on the cell phone, etc.

I'd buy that in a second.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

They allow the TL to acheive a top speed of 258MPH

Old 08-25-2004, 11:50 AM
OG

Hijackers
Old 08-25-2004, 11:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
With a built in a$$hole targeting option.

At the beggining there I thought you were talking about Gilbo
Old 08-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlukja
With a built in a$$hole targeting option. To be used to eliminate the a$$hole in front of you who is driving too slow, swerving, not signaling, talking on the cell phone, etc.
I'd buy that in a second.
I'd add deers to that list
Old 08-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Damn, I was hoping the next big option was a couple of these.

Cherub guardians, I'd spring for !
Old 08-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why pay $100 a month when you can pay $40?
That's a bit of a stretch don't ya think?

You are implying that the TSX gets 60% better gas mileage than the TL. That simply isn't true.

My TL get's 26 MPG on the highway. From your logic above, your TSX gets approximately 65 MPG!!!! Get real

BTW - I test drove the TSX and liked it. It was too small for me, plus I want at least 6 cylinders. Preferrably 8.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

....I know I can afford to buy AND own either the TL or the TSX. I can afford to pay for either at the pump... but why not save the money where I can? You get what I'm saying? Why pay $100 a month when you can pay $40? That was the essence of the question.....
Then why are you unsure? Buy the TSX.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I've often wondered this very thing myself...

Oh, and Majin, I feel I owe you an apology. Sorry for jumping down your throad like that. Don't ask me what the hell got into me. I'm a little quick to the defense sometimes.
No prob. I wasn't questioning your financial situation at all. I just meant that if you are that worried about money spent at the pump, why not buy a cheaper car (possibly used) and use your savings to pay for gas......
Old 08-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Mr. Karma

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
That's a bit of a stretch don't ya think?

You are implying that the TSX gets 60% better gas mileage than the TL. That simply isn't true.

My TL get's 26 MPG on the highway. From your logic above, your TSX gets approximately 65 MPG!!!! Get real

BTW - I test drove the TSX and liked it. It was too small for me, plus I want at least 6 cylinders. Preferrably 8.
I meant to type $60, not $40. $40 is the difference. Here, I had all the math written out on page 1:

Upon further reinspection, the difference in gas mileage is about 5-7 mpg in the city (using your 23mpg vs. my mother, who is currently averaging 30mpg in her TSX). That translates to 119 miles less per tank (at the 7mpg difference). Driving the typical ~1000 miles a month, that means that I will fill up almost 3 times a month. 91 octane premium here is about $2.00/gal, so that's about $34 a fill-up, or $102 a month in gas. The TSX, on the other hand, I would need to fill up twice a month at $34 a fill-up, or $68 a month in gas. That's almost a $40 difference. That's quite a bit to me. Take that down to $20 or $30 for a more conservative EPA estimate for the TSX in the city. Still a good chunk of coin.

And Majin, I can afford to pay it, it's just that I was wondering it it was justified to pay that much more. As in my original question: What do you get with TL (from an owner's perspective, not a spec sheet) that makes the extra money worth it. IS it worth it?

Clutch, I'm unsure because it MAY be worth the extra money, and I wanted to get owners' input to be sure, as opposed to a saleman's or a piece of paper.

Am I still being unclear? I'm afraid I was to begin with, hence all the misunderstandings.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I understand it's to give the TL "character" in much the same way that the character line does on the BMW 3- and old 5-series.

That, and to make the top speed 258 mph. I thought only TL owners were supposed to know that secret!
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
As in my original question: What do you get with TL (from an owner's perspective, not a spec sheet) that makes the extra money worth it. IS it worth it?
At the end of the day, it's your decision as to what is more important to you.

TL: POWER, geek toys, more luxury, ULEV
TSX: Good handling and a fun time without modding, slightly better gas mileage, only a LEV (nyah nyah )

Either is a great choice. I really want to buy a TSX for my wife so I can choose what to drive on a daily basis.....her Accord is REALLY her Accord as I won't touch it.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Mr. Karma

Well, thank you all for your opinions. I'll talk it over with my wife. If we get the TSX, it'll probably be the A-Spec since they lowered the MSRP (from $5000 to $4330, click here), and I can probably get them to go lower on it on top of that.

Again, thanks to everyone and sorry for my little outburst.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Everyday Joe

Yes, domn, perhaps I was. Looking back, perhaps I jumped the gun a bit, but I do know what I can afford and what I can't. And thank you for your input.

Continuing in response to fdl's comment... I know I can afford to buy AND own either the TL or the TSX. I can afford to pay for either at the pump... but why not save the money where I can? You get what I'm saying? Why pay $100 a month when you can pay $40? That was the essence of the question. What makes the TL worth paying the extra money for. I wasn't saying I couldn't afford it, I was saying that it was an issue to consider for me, that's all.
Agreed....savings on gas leads to money for other fun stuff (or just plain ole other bills)
Old 08-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

Could anyone tell me what the a-spec will have. Will it increase the hp?
Old 08-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nanda68
Nope, just suspension.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:53 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nanda68
Do the link posted above dude...
Old 08-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Mr. Karma

Well, thank you all for your opinions. I'll talk it over with my wife. If we get the TSX, it'll probably be the A-Spec since they lowered the MSRP (from $5000 to $4330, click here), and I can probably get them to go lower on it on top of that.

Again, thanks to everyone and sorry for my little outburst.

Check the "click here" in the quote.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

Old 08-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Mr. Karma

About the A-spec? From what I've heard, it really does make the car ride and handle much better. Quite pricey for what you get, but that's why I plan on talking them down.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
I can't tell you why you should buy a TL or a TSX, but I can tell you why I picked the TSX.

1. Looks: I Don't like the looks of the stock TSX, but I *love* the TSX with the aero package. The TL, I don't really like it that much either with or without aero package. I don't think it's ugly, I just think the TSX with aero looks better. Personal preference.
2. Price: if I did like the TL better, I would have to like it $5000 better (or whatever the difference is). Since I don't even like the TL better in the first place, the lower price of the TSX is just a bonus for me.
3. Rear folding seats: I *need* this. The TSX is my only car and once in a while I do make these trips to Home depot or Ikea and I can't imagine not having that feature. If I had a second car that could carry more cargo then it wouldn't be an issue.
4. Fuel economy: the difference is pretty small, but it's something. For me it's a bonus, it makes me feel a bit better about the car.
5. Interior: I like the one on the TSX better. I loved the sunglasses holder in my Accord and when I saw the TL doesn't have it but the TSX does I was surprised. Also I don't really like these silver bands that run down the dash, I prefer the understated TSX interior. I like simple-looking things, again that's just personal preference.
6. Power: I tell myself: do I really need 270 hp? No, not really. I don't race. Once in a while I step on it. The TSX already has more hp than my old Accord so it's an improvement. It's also just as good as a more expensive 325i or maybe even the IS300. It's close to a Mazda6 as well. It's enough for me. If I was coming from a 200hp+ car, lack of power would probably be more of a negative for me on the TSX.

That's basically it. The number 1 reason was looks, number 2 was money. Or actually number 1 was probably money because I would have just got a 330i, but now I'm kind of glad I didn't waste money on that lemon.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:50 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
About the A-spec? From what I've heard, it really does make the car ride and handle much better. Quite pricey for what you get, but that's why I plan on talking them down.
If you just want the better ride, but get the A-spec suspension kit. It retails for only $800 and can commonly be found for $600 or less.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Mr. Karma

Yeah, I read that from the article I posted about it. After figuring the difference between what I was going to put on the car (aero, fogs, etc...) it came to $2524 (note: These are all MSRP's before installation). Figuring new wheels alone (which we were brobably going to get anyway) that knocks it down to $1524 basically for the badging and tires. I don't know how much the tires would be separate from the package as a set, but I'm gussing $250 a peice is being genrous, which knocks it down to $524 for the badging. Quite pricey, as I stated, but I like the wheels and tire upgrade. The discrepancy is what I'm going to be talking down.

Quick Reply: TSX from a TL owner's point of view