Is the TSX really a "good value?"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the TSX really a "good value?"

I have done lots of reading on the TSX and generally everyone seems to agree that you get lots of features for the price of the car. However, a neighbor raised the point that he did not like the car because it only has a 4-cylinder and although it may have nice “electronic” features and interior it is lacking under the hood and this is why it seems like such a good deal. What do you guys think about this? Do you really get that much “bang for your buck” considering it is only a 4-cylinder?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 AM
about::blank

This is the point I have been trying to express. When I think about value, I think TL, because it has great features, decent power, a great body, a great interior at a very reasonable price. If the TSX was around 26TTL out the door, it would be a value, but that is my opinion. I think the Subaru Legacy GT is a value at its price or even the Hyundai Sonata. If you like the features of the car and don't mind the fact that it is slow, then get it. Just remember, cars get faster and better every year, hell, some hyundais and kias already have more power than a TSX, and I would think this would hurt resale in the long run. Shit even the american accord v6 ex is an outstanding vehicle, and still cheaper than a tsx. Don't buy a car based upon it's name, buy it because you enjoy the features and the way it makes you feel when you drive it.

I remember the first time I got into the TSX, I loved the sound system and the way the speedo cluster lit up. When I was driving it though, it was so uninspiring, it actually reminded me of my old accord.

I bet I will get flamed for this, but 95%+ of the TSX drivers I see around town are female. Even my girlfriend liked it because it is "cute" until she drove it and wondered how Acura was trying to charge 30K for something that slow. It reminds me of an Rx-8, revs all over the place but doesn't go anywhere.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Yui
Pro

Wow, you've been flaming the TSX quite a bit lately. What's eating you?

For me, I don't need to get to 60 in under 6 seconds. I don't even drive my TSX hard any more cause it wastes too much gas. But on long trips where there are stretches of downhill, I put her in neutral and coast my way up to 95 and slalom past the other cars frantically putting on their brakes. The handling on the car in stock form is just amazing. I'm looking forward to upgrading the suspension.

The car is simply a joy to drive. I love getting into the car - the car fits you like a glove. And the TL? I had a loaner for 2 weeks. It feels and handles like a freaking boat. Sure it felt faster, but I would probably be straining even more to attain the kind of gas mileage I get with the TSX.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 AM
tsx n00b

I agree it is a little underpowered, but I've been happy with mine and still think its a great deal. if you think about it you still get 205 horses out of the 4-banger (only 10 less than the bmw 325i's i-6), though the torque is less. I'v had no issues with the power having had it for 3 months now.

Its still a fun car to drive with good handling. It feels nimble, and I like that.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:22 AM
Racer

i dont really think the number of cylinders is a big deal...

i do think a bit more power would be nice.

if the tsx has something like 220 hp, and about 185 lb ft of torque, and possibly awd or rwd (you will lose tracion at speed cornering n this car with the tires.... especially the stocks) then i believe it'd be perfect.

hell the 166 lb ft of torque is probably ok, it would just be nice if it came at maybe 1000 less rpm.

so that said, its still a great car. especially if you dont really need to drive super fast. whats the point, its sucha nice car inside, you can sit back relax , turn on the xm radio and enjoy the drive.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TallyCL-S
This is the point I have been trying to express. When I think about value, I think TL, because it has great features, decent power, a great body, a great interior at a very reasonable price. If the TSX was around 26TTL out the door, it would be a value, but that is my opinion. I think the Subaru Legacy GT is a value at its price or even the Hyundai Sonata. If you like the features of the car and don't mind the fact that it is slow, then get it. Just remember, cars get faster and better every year, hell, some hyundais and kias already have more power than a TSX, and I would think this would hurt resale in the long run. Shit even the american accord v6 ex is an outstanding vehicle, and still cheaper than a tsx. Don't buy a car based upon it's name, buy it because you enjoy the features and the way it makes you feel when you drive it.

I remember the first time I got into the TSX, I loved the sound system and the way the speedo cluster lit up. When I was driving it though, it was so uninspiring, it actually reminded me of my old accord.

I bet I will get flamed for this, but 95%+ of the TSX drivers I see around town are female. Even my girlfriend liked it because it is "cute" until she drove it and wondered how Acura was trying to charge 30K for something that slow. It reminds me of an Rx-8, revs all over the place but doesn't go anywhere.
there we go again, this loser trying to put down the TSX in every
thread. He obviously can't even afford a Corolla
IF I WOULD LIKE JUST POWER, I WOULD BUY A V6, V8 or something like that
but i think the TSX is the perfect balance of power and class.

And btw I can afford any car i want -even a BMW 750iL- since I'm a
physician, just to make the point how i really appreciate the TSX
and i am not telling what the wife is driving...
Old 08-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meh, the TSX's chassis is good. I went to the track with a stock car and OEM tires. I beat 1 DC2R and a b18c Ek hatch. Handling was all over the EK hatch. It was only on the straight line where the weight of the car slowed it down.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Yui
Wow, you've been flaming the TSX quite a bit lately. What's eating you?

I think it is a wonderful car. I just don't think the price tag is appropriate and that is why I wouldn't consider it being much of a "value" to me.

cai06, you are obviously some nub who created a new screen name just to talk shit, you don't impress anyone and it is morons like you give that doctors a bad rep. and just since you like talking about money, i probably make much more money than you little bitch so piss off.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MTSXike
I have done lots of reading on the TSX and generally everyone seems to agree that you get lots of features for the price of the car. However, a neighbor raised the point that he did not like the car because it only has a 4-cylinder and although it may have nice “electronic” features and interior it is lacking under the hood and this is why it seems like such a good deal. What do you guys think about this? Do you really get that much “bang for your buck” considering it is only a 4-cylinder?

Thanks for any input.
You need to drive it for yourself to see. I always had V6s, this is my first 4 banger, and I think it has adequate power and the handling is just superior. It feels light and nimble, and I really like that. It's faster than all the previous cars I've driven (Chryslers with V6s - they're dogs). Yes, I think it's a good value, or I wouldn't have bought it.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Hey guys and gals, remember the TSX is not for everyone. We shouldn’t take it personal, we all have one or two things we wished the TSX had more (or less) of. That is why the mod market is so big, you can spend 1K-2K and the car will be perfect for you. If you tried spending 2K on a Chrysler/Hyundai/Toyota, you would still have the same basic people hauler you drive to point A to point B.

I purchased a TSX for my wife because I didn’t want her to look like the other “Plain Jane” soccer mom’s in their SUV or mini-vans. She is Federal Probation Officer and she carries a 357 mag. A TSX is more her image than a mini-van. I wanted something for under $35K that had the best balance of power, style, performance, reliability, price, economy, luxury, warranty, and reasonable long term cost of ownership. The TSX came up on top.

I like the 4 banger because 90% of the time the I-4 is what we need to get around town. Just rev the engine above 5K to take care of the other 10%. If I had Mr. Honda/Acura’s ear, I would make an option for the 2008 TSX to have a Hybrid engine. Same 2.4L/205hp mated to an electric motor with 50hp/200lbs of TQ and throw in SHAWD for the extra torque. Zero to 60 in 6 seconds and 38 mpg city driving sounds pretty good to me (just keep the price under 3K for the hybrid option).
Old 08-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is a wonderful car. I just don't think the price tag is appropriate and that is why I wouldn't consider it being much of a "value" to me.

cai06, you are obviously some nub who created a new screen name just to talk shit, you don't impress anyone and it is morons like you give that doctors a bad rep. and just since you like talking about money, i probably make much more money than you little bitch so piss off.
wow grumpy much?

Basically if you want to sum up all of TallyCL-S' comments over here in the TSX forum he'll say that V6 > i4...

Again it's personal preference. If you prefer to have a V6, then go ahead and spend the extra cash, but like most people that own TSX's we didn't buy them because of their speed, we bought them because of their nice features, handling etc. I would definitely have to say that the TSX is more of an enthusiasts car, where the TL is more of a cruiser type car. Go find a car that has all of the TSX's features, perhaps a few more hp, and see how much it costs? most of them are all more expensive than the TSX.

you compare hyundai's and kia's with more hp to the TSX, that's just rediculous why don't we just buy old 5.0 mustangs, supercharge 'em and drive those around, they can get hella quick with the right tuning? that's cuz it's about more than just speed for most people. Take a TSX to the track vs a TL, and take a wild guess who'll own who around the corners.

It's all about personal preference, value is in the mind of the consumer. For you more hp and tq, for a good price = value. That doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

Basically it all depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for fast acceleration in the straightaway? go for a TL or something faster than a TSX. Are you looking for a more nimble car? go for the TSX.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
04 remembrance

The I4 doesn't really matter, it's the interior, handling, and the features that makes the TSX worth its money. The Legacy and V6 Accord without a doubt is worth its money as well, but the TSX seems more sharp, more driver oriented, and very forgiving at the same time. Also, don't forget that most TSXs are reliable- though the 04's seem a bit shaky

If your neighbor really wants a car that has the bang for the buck factor, ask him his opinion about Hyundai's.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by MTSXike

Thanks for any input.
I don't understand the obsession with the TSX having a 4-cylinder engine? Does your neighbor only have a 2-inch pecker and needs a couple of extra cylinders to compensate?

But seriously, look at it not based on the number of cylinders, but instead on usable power.The TSX has 205 hp. This is easily within range of all of its immediate competition including the BMW 325, the Lexus IS250, the Audi A4 2.0t, and the MB C230 Kompressor. The power band, while not quite as hefty down low, is very strong in the middle and upper end of the rev range. Also, it is a characteristic of Honda engines to rev high for maximum power.

Also, acceleration times of the TSX are comparable with the competition as well.

So unless your neighbor has a serious complex and really is going to be looking under the hood of your new car to count the number of cylinders, why not just go with what makes you happy? Why worry about what Mr. Neighbor-with-the-small-dick-complex thinks?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by cibs

you compare hyundai's and kia's with more hp to the TSX, that's just rediculous why don't we just buy old 5.0 mustangs, supercharge 'em and drive those around, they can get hella quick with the right tuning? that's cuz it's about more than just speed for most people. Take a TSX to the track vs a TL, and take a wild guess who'll own who around the corners.
There is that saying, "Don't knock it until you try it." Go drive one of the new Hyundai's and then say they aren't nice. In fact, they just won a few awards from JD Power and actually the Azera surpassed your jewel TSX in EVERY category for a lower price. I am sure you don't believe me, go see for yourself: http://www.jdpower.com/autos/compare.asp
All I am saying is that there are more cars, Azera & Legacy GT to name two that easily overpower the TSX and have better handling for a more competetive price.
I also never claimed that higher HP is the end-all-be-all when it comes to cars, but for 30K, it should have a little more "GO". That is also why I said the TSX would be a great value if it was priced in the mid 20s TTL.

The TL is a bigger car, that is why the TSX would do better. Who cares though, it is geared towards a different audience.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Honestly my patience are running thin. Look at the top of the page. You'll notice TL, RL, CL and RSX sections, I'm guessing the TL section is the best fit fo you. You've made your opinion clear, no need to keep beating it into people head's.

I think the RDX is pratically a joke for what it is. Do you see me in the RDX section bashing it? I state my opinion and leave it at that. Now go away.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Team Owner

There is that saying, "Don't knock it until you try it." Go drive one of the new Hyundai's and then say they aren't nice. In fact, they just won a few awards from JD Power and actually the Azera surpassed your jewel TSX in EVERY category for a lower price. I am sure you don't believe me, go see for yourself: http://www.jdpower.com/autos/compare.asp
All I am saying is that there are more cars, Azera & Legacy GT to name two that easily overpower the TSX and have better handling for a more competetive price.
I also never claimed that higher HP is the end-all-be-all when it comes to cars, but for 30K, it should have a little more "GO". That is also why I said the TSX would be a great value if it was priced in the mid 20s TTL.

The TL is a bigger car, that is why the TSX would do better. Who cares though, it is geared towards a different audience.
You just don't get it, do you. Everything is a trade-off. You lose amenities buying the Azera and Legacy in order to get their larger engines. It's all about ones priorities. And if you're concerned about the TSX's price, perhaps it's not the car for you and you should remove it from your mind entirely. Dealerships can barely keep them on the lots long enough to show people and they have sold more than the original projections indicated so people must like it for a reason.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Pro

the TSX is by far the best car for your money, especially in the US!

it's the best car in the world!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Instructor

I personally think people just have this stigma when you say 4 cylinder. Doesn't matter if it's fast or slow. The car is awsome. My parents just purchased one and i get to drive it.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

TSX won car & driver best sport sedan 3 year in a row... thats for sure..
Old 08-02-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Honestly my patience are running thin. Look at the top of the page. You'll notice TL, RL, CL and RSX sections, I'm guessing the TL section is the best fit fo you. You've made your opinion clear, no need to keep beating it into people head's.

I think the RDX is pratically a joke for what it is. Do you see me in the RDX section bashing it? I state my opinion and leave it at that. Now go away.

Dom, I am just responding to comments people are leaving to me. I am not trying to beat anything into anyones head. I clearly see the other sections at the top and exercise my ability to browse through and add my where I want.

Even the mods in the TSX section get defensive for no reason.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

No, people are getting defensive because all you do is bash the TSX. You did the same thing in the TL vs. TSX thread in Car Talk. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinions, but you should realize why people are tiring of your comments.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Team Owner

Dom, I am just responding to comments people are leaving to me. I am not trying to beat anything into anyones head. I clearly see the other sections at the top and exercise my ability to browse through and add my where I want.

You've posted at every opportunity to tell everyone how crappy you think the TSX is. I would consider that "beating" into people's heads. You need to realize that while your view is respected, you need to respect other people's views as well. And arguing your opinion vs. other people's opinion is just silly because people aren't going to change their opinion. So once again, stop posting in the TSX section if you're not going to do so in a constructive manner.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You just don't get it, do you. Everything is a trade-off. You lose amenities buying the Azera and Legacy in order to get their larger engines. It's all about ones priorities. And if you're concerned about the TSX's price, perhaps it's not the car for you and you should remove it from your mind entirely. Dealerships can barely keep them on the lots long enough to show people and they have sold more than the original projections indicated so people must like it for a reason.
CGTSX2004 just said it perfectly.

and i've been in and driven hyundai's and kia's and i don't like them. I've tried them, i know people who think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread because of all the things you get for a cheap price. But that's not my style, that's none of our styles here because we all (most of us) own Acuras. One could say ANY acura is an overpriced people mover.

And you hit the nail on the head when you said it's geared towards a different audience. TSX - not geared towards you clearly. TL - not geared to most of us here. that doesn't make one better than another. because yet again 'better' is a subjective term...

I can't believe this discussion is going on still, about something that is PURELY subjective.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

No reason? Your denser than I thought. Like CGTSX2004 said, get constructive or get out.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You've posted at every opportunity to tell everyone how crappy you think the TSX is. I would consider that "beating" into people's heads. You need to realize that while your view is respected, you need to respect other people's views as well. And arguing your opinion vs. other people's opinion is just silly because people aren't going to change their opinion. So once again, stop posting in the TSX section if you're not going to do so in a constructive manner.

I have never once used the word crappy, in fact I have said it is a wonderful car with great amenities. The topic of this thread was "Is the TSX really a "good value" and I clearly expressed my opinion. I suggested some other cars I thought of when I heard the term "value" and that's it.

In response to your earlier post, I realize that everything is a trade-off. You have to admit though, there is a negative connotation that goes along with other non-Honda/Acura products and it is unfortunate because there are other fine products out there that are in fact, everyone gasp, better than some of Acura's in different respects. I have said in previous posts that if you find that the features meet your needs and you are comfortable with the car, more power to you.

Furthermore, after my initial post in a thread, I only have responded to what people have said to me, just like I am responding to you. Enjoy your day sir and keep up the good work.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I'd like to point out that JD Power rankings mean...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING if you actually look into them. Their questions are the most vague things known to man, they collaborate with the auto manufacturers to decide how to ask the questions, and they as them within 30 days of buying the car - when most people have put a total of 25 hours into the vehicle.

Just look at their awards..."initial quality" - WTF does that really mean? The Chevy Aveo has "initial quality" when you buy it new...cause it's new.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Hyundai on their vehicles, as they are nice, they have sufficient power and what not, but they don't have the quality of Honda/Acura just yet. They're on the right track though.

And the Azera is a different segment. The Azera is targeting the buyer who would go after a Buick or Mercury...not the TSX buyer. My father is looking at one right now, and I do like the car, very much in fact. But the truth is that the TSX runs rings around it in the handling, sport, and even the speed department.

Remember, everything isn't about how fast the car is. Horsepower and Speed are marketing terms anymore - if they were 'practical', we'd all be driving old GTO's that have 300hp to the rear wheels and fly in a straight line. And for the record, I can smoke many a 6cyl car in the TSX, and I don't have a single mod. the '06 isn't the fastest off the line, but it's got the speed to finish. ANd this is coming from a guy who had a 300+ HP SUV that I traded for the TSX after a decade of SUV driving...and I went out to buy a used 330xi.

The TSX is far from the perfect car - but it's closer than anything else in it's segment. There's simply nothing that can beat the combo it offers on the market - lux, sporty feel, handling, efficiency, price and style. It's not the best in any of those categories, but it's high enough in each one to make it unique. I liked the Audi A3 and A4, but at $3-5k more for the same features, it wasn't worth it. Same with the 330i. And the TL
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ronin317
I'd like to point out that JD Power rankings mean...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING if you actually look into them. Their questions are the most vague things known to man, they collaborate with the auto manufacturers to decide how to ask the questions, and they as them within 30 days of buying the car - when most people have put a total of 25 hours into the vehicle.

Just look at their awards..."initial quality" - WTF does that really mean? The Chevy Aveo has "initial quality" when you buy it new...cause it's new.
Initial quality means jack shit. I find it irritating when manufacturers tout initial quality results.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Instructor

200hp on a 4 (tsx) vs 200hp on a 6 (my old accord).. Wow i can get 200 with 2 less cylinders !

When gas hits 20 bucks a gallon, ill be very happy with my 4.....
Old 08-02-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vegito
200hp on a 4 (tsx) vs 200hp on a 6 (my old accord).. Wow i can get 200 with 2 less cylinders !

When gas hits 20 bucks a gallon, ill be very happy with my 4.....

Keyword being "old". As technology and time progress, they usually get more efficient.
The difference is, you will still be paying more for the premium gas for the TSX vs the regular for your accord. Also, while they may have the same HP, the TQ on your "old" V6 was probably a lot greater due to larger displacement.

On a side note, I used to love DBZ.

------The preceding text represents the thoughts and opinions of Tallycl-s and is not intended to be mailicious or demeaning to any uber-sensitive members or mods.------
Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't ban Tally? Cause he is IMO now acting like a smartass.

Let's hear it.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:08 AM
No-navi, yo

I have never once used the word crappy, ...
I did not have the chance to read all (your) posts. But you had made it clear that you judge the value of a car on its 1) horsepower, 2) acceleration, 3) size of engine.

Unfortunately, there are many people who justify the value of a car beyond that. Your biggest problem seem like you think TSX is overpriced. That is just dumb. Name yourself a couple 4-cylinder cars. None of them will be as a total package as TSX.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:10 AM
No-navi, yo

Sorry, Tally, even I am with Dom on this one, which does not happen a lot.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Wow...and that $120 bucks a year difference in premium gas vs. regular gas is soooooo much.

If $120 is going to make or break someone spread over a year, then they're not purchasing a TSX to begin with - they're probably buying a used car for $5-6k at most.

TallyCL-S, if you're that concerned with torque and such, why aren't you driving a nice new Charger SRT? Or a new Mustang Cobra? And what daily driving situations are you in that you need all this torque and speed?

I think this is a case where you're just reading and not comprehending anything that anyone posts. It's like people that wait for others to stop speaking so they can talk, rather than actually listening to what the person is saying.

And your disclaimer is pathetic. Not witty, ironic, or funny in the least. You have the posting etiquette of a child...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billabong05
I personally think people just have this stigma when you say 4 cylinder. Doesn't matter if it's fast or slow.
that's b/c this country is herded into the "bigger is better" propoganda. i've always loved 4-cyls for my daily drivers.

if your neighbor doesn't think it's worth the value, then go buy a V6+.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Can someone tell me why I shouldn't ban Tally? Cause he is IMO now acting like a smartass.

Let's hear it.
You know my vote already...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by dom

Let's hear it.

Are you kidding me? As you stated, "IMO". I don't get it, I have only said my OPINION wtf???

How many times do I have to say that I am not all about big engines??? I have admitted over and over that there is more to car buying than just the engine and that a prospective buyer needs to think about what suits their needs. ALL I HAVE SAID IS MY OPINION! You really need to get off your high-horses and lighten up. Take things with a grain of salt, jeez.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Originally Posted by dom

Let's hear it.
As annoying as the posts are, I don't think they're ban worthy. I've modded other forums before...and I'm a regular poster on Something Awful's Automotive Insanity forum, and they have some weird posting rules, but his behavior wouldn't get him banned, he'd be probated for a day.

He hasn't said anything particularly inflammatory, and personally I'm enjoying people refuting his assumptions and ill-informed comments with actual facts and rhetoric. I like that he can't back up anything he says...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Drifting

the more he posts the worse he looks...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mg7726
that's b/c this country is herded into the "bigger is better" propoganda.

Yep...your right. Sad isn't it?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Race Director

After switching cars i really appreciate the TSX more. It was an awesome car , comfy, had lots of great features, and a great ride. Although i do agree that i do think its underpowered , im sure most buyers know that before hand.

I wont even say the car is quick, it has no tq, especially on a hot humid day, the car feels like a boat is sitting on it, but if power is not you number 1 priority, it makes no difference.

Everything else about the car is prime , and i would def. consider purchasing it again down the line.

Quick Reply: Is the TSX really a "good value?"