TSX Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Hitch

Hey all... I've been reading about various hitches and whatnot in these forums, but I just came across this one online and it looks completely different than the others I've seen.

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on this. I am still looking for a viable (yet somewhat hidden) hitch for my 2006 TSX

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...n/CT11455.html

Compared to:

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...=Acura&t1=&h=e
Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no real expertise on this but I'd have to wonder how capable of a towing vehicle the TSX would be...
Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Pride
Hey all... I've been reading about various hitches and whatnot in these forums, but I just came across this one online and it looks completely different than the others I've seen.

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on this. I am still looking for a viable (yet somewhat hidden) hitch for my 2006 TSX
We've got a hitch on my wife's 07 and it looks like the bottom one (there are 2 or 3 out there available for the TSX and they all look the same). I'm fairly confident that you'll find that the top picture is a generic rendering of a hitch; "illustration for display purposes only" or something like that (there's no way that thing's going under the mufflers). It's a pretty tight fit and the opportunities for different shapes are limited if not non-existent (hence, even though the hitches may be offered by a few different companies, they all look basically the same)(and why it's unlikely you'll find one that's "hidden"; there's too much stuff under there) . I've installed a bunch of hitches and in my opinion, the engineering on this design is pretty good. It is anything but hidden though. It fits better than I had hoped, but it's not the easiest install. If you're mechanically inclined, and have the right tools, it's doable. All that said, I'd be curious if someone did come up with something "completely different". As far as towing goes, the TSX is pretty good within the limits. It's rated for 1000 pounds I think, and that's no problem. I'm wouldn't go much higher though. We actually use the hitch mostly for a bike rack, although once in a while I use it for the utility trailer or the jet ski. Feel free to PM me if you want install details.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How's it do with the jet skis? I may end up needing to haul a bunch of crap about 300 miles this summer and I'm not sure if I'd rather rent something or get a hitch and small trailer for the TSX. My biggest concern is that the trailer is going to want to push the TSX's ass around.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:00 PM
talk about mudflaps....

Someone did come up with something completely different. I think there was a picture of it in a thread around here. Basically, they made a custom piece that fit through the tow hook at the back of the car. A small part of the plastic diffuser was cut out and it was secured to the spare tire well under the diffuser. I believe that this was only good for things like bikes since it was a very low profile design and probably could hold a lot of weight.

I was looking for a hitch for carrying bikes around, but I never liked how these hitches blocked the diffuser. The diffuser is one of the neatest features of the TSX and it's a shame to block it off like that.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:57 PM
my acura sanctuary

Originally Posted by Simba91102
We've got a hitch on my wife's 07 and it looks like the bottom one (there are 2 or 3 out there available for the TSX and they all look the same).
@ simba..... If you could take a pic that would be great.

I used to have a hitch for a hitch style bike rack on my accord coupe. now I am considering one for my tsx too. should be pretty straight forward. BTW I'd scrape the tip of that hitch(accord) on steep driveway-street transitions but just need to be careful and take them slow just like all those aftermarket skirt kits.

ed
Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by dereksmalls
Someone did come up with something completely different. I think there was a picture of it in a thread around here. Basically, they made a custom piece that fit through the tow hook at the back of the car. A small part of the plastic diffuser was cut out and it was secured to the spare tire well under the diffuser. I believe that this was only good for things like bikes since it was a very low profile design and probably could hold a lot of weight.

I was looking for a hitch for carrying bikes around, but I never liked how these hitches blocked the diffuser. The diffuser is one of the neatest features of the TSX and it's a shame to block it off like that.
I haven't seen the thread you're referring to, but I have actually seen a TSX with that type of a hitch on it. Judging by my own experiencing, I'm going to guess it's an Accord hitch modified to fit the TSX (or vice versa)(the Accord hitches I've seen hang from the tow hook and bolt to the trunk floor). Evidently it works, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually designed for the TSX. I'd want no part of it (for liability purposes if nothing else), but that's just me; I'd rather use something actually designed for the car.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
How's it do with the jet skis? I may end up needing to haul a bunch of crap about 300 miles this summer and I'm not sure if I'd rather rent something or get a hitch and small trailer for the TSX. My biggest concern is that the trailer is going to want to push the TSX's ass around.
It tows the jet ski quite well, partly I'm sure because of the (relatively) small frontal area. My utility trailer is low too, so that also presents a fairly small face to the wind. I'd say it's all about tongue weight and frontal area (at highway speeds anyway)(and this isn't lost on Honda; the Pilot (in 2003 anyway) was rated to tow a 5000 lb boat or 3500 pound anything else) . As long as you keep the tongue weight down and trailer doesn't have a front like the side of a barn, you'd probably be OK.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by subdued
@ simba..... If you could take a pic that would be great.

I used to have a hitch for a hitch style bike rack on my accord coupe. now I am considering one for my tsx too. should be pretty straight forward. BTW I'd scrape the tip of that hitch(accord) on steep driveway-street transitions but just need to be careful and take them slow just like all those aftermarket skirt kits.

ed
PM sent.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 AM
TSX4EVR

Are there any pictures of a TSX with a hitch installed? I just bought a place down in the Phoenix area as a winter home and will take up bass fishing again. I won't be buying a big boat for a while but have a couple of options of very small light boats. I also don't want to give up my TSX so am considering getting a hitch on my 06 TSX.

I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.

Thanks

Excited

(btw the RBP is still working perfectly. My best vehicle ever)
Old 01-02-2009, 08:32 PM
TSX4EVR

Just thought I would ask again in case the members with the answer were away on vacation, any pics of TSX's with the hitch?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Excited
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Hey...

I ended up going to a local welder (he works mostly on 18 wheel rigs, trailers and farmers). Just Google "Welder" or "Fabrication" in your area. He was able to fabricate me a custom hitch that is welded to the frame in 1 spot, and welded to the bottom of the spare tire encasement (for lack of better word). He did a GREAT job and it cost me $125 total. He also painted it.

I will try to get a picture, but generally speaking... it is tucked way underneath, and you can barely see it (most people never notice it until I mention it) when my hitch mounted bike rack is not installed.

It isn't strong enough to pull a heavy trailer, but he did seem to think that it would be safe to hook up UHaul's smallest trailer in case I needed to pull a small load.

I got it mostly because I wanted a hitch mounted bike rack, rather than a roof mounted one.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by excited
Just thought I would ask again in case the members with the answer were away on vacation, any pics of TSX's with the hitch?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Excited
PM me with your email address, and I'll send you a couple of pictures of the hitch installed on my wife's 07. It's the lower one shown in the opening post of this thread. Please also read my posts from earlier this year; this is not the easiest install (regardless of what the etrailer website says). Done properly though, it's a nice package. I did substitute stainless steel fasteners for the supplied ones and used never-seeze on everything to facilitate removal prior to selling the car. I might also suggest caution with regards to towing using something fabricated from scratch. I wonder if the liability and warranty concerns would outweigh the potential aesthetic advantages this route might provide.

Last edited by Simba91102; 01-05-2009 at 03:10 PM.