TSX has a very rough start. Once starts it runs fine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX has a very rough start. Once starts it runs fine.

My beloved TSX has developed a startup problem.

- It always starts but it takes 4-8 cranks and sneezes and misfires before it starts up.
- the starter sounds decent it cranks and cranks
- I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay and it didn't help
- once it starts it runs absolutely fine
- it has a rough start cold and hot. I can turn the car off and start it again and it will start very rough
- check engine light is off. I took it to Autozone and they said no codes

Any ideas? Any more diagnostics I can do?

Old 06-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,714 Likes on 6,721 Posts
could be dirty/clogged fuel injectors or spark plugs.. have you checked either of those?
Old 06-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
could be dirty/clogged fuel injectors or spark plugs.. have you checked either of those?
I checked the plugs visually and they look nice and dry. They are about 50K miles. Can plugs cause problems only on startup? I thought if it's plugs they will cause a misfire while driving too.

I haven't checked the injectors yet. Same question, do you know if injectors can cause issues only on startup?
Old 06-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds a lot like a starter and or coil pack(s) issue. If it has the original starter, then definitely replace it. Just because something sounds "decent" doesn't mean that it's about to fail.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CL9oem
Sounds a lot like a starter and or coil pack(s) issue. If it has the original starter, then definitely replace it. Just because something sounds "decent" doesn't mean that it's about to fail.
Thanks! I was leaning towards the starter too. The car is on its second starter but it has 240K miles and the second starter was a cheapo one from Autozone installed 90K miles ago. In theory it is time for it to go. I'll replace it this week and see.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Yeah those auto zone ones are crap. Get an oem, beck arnley or Bosch one. Definitely worth it to pay a bit extra for a quality part. Good luck!

Last edited by CL9oem; 06-08-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Yeah those auto zone ones are crap. Get an oem, beck arnley or Bosch one. Definitely worth it to pay a bit extra for a quality part. Good luck!
It was the starter! Put a new one in and it starts like a champ. Thanks!
Funny, I noticed that the older the car gets the more complicated every problem appears. If it had only 100K miles on it I would immediately have blamed the starter
Old 06-11-2020, 01:24 PM
Advanced

You're welcome! Glad you were able to fix it. Hahah yeah it can be a bit tedious, especially when going off a sound or issue.

You can go crazy trying to search for a thread or video replicating that issue or sound- only to have 50 different opinions and hunches. The most annoying part is when there is no update as to whether or not it was actually repaired.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

You're welcome! Glad you were able to fix it. Hahah yeah it can be a bit tedious, especially when going off a sound or issue.

You can go crazy trying to search for a thread or video replicating that issue or sound- only to have 50 different opinions and hunches. The most annoying part is when there is no update as to whether or not it was actually repaired.
Yep. When my old starter was dying it simply refused to react to the ignition key like 50% of the time. You turn the key and nothing just silence. And then you turn it again and it would start up. It was totally different.
This time it worked every time but it took 3-4 more revolutions and misfires that's why I was in denial about the starter being the issue. It was totally different.

237K miles and my 1st Gen TSX still going, knock on wood.