TSX fit and finish, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX fit and finish, etc.

As I was replacing a little bulb that went out for my heated seat, I realized my passenger door lock without any warning has completely failed, working perfect one minute, useless the next... I just got through replacing the drivers side one about two months ago! What the heck is it with these cars? if it's not one annoying little thing it's another... little lights and door lock actuators are not something that should be rapidly failing on a car with 39k miles! not to mention a ton of rattles I've had to track down and fix. This is my first honda/acura, I expected better quality. Sorry for the rant, but it's frustrating to be in the middle of fixing one bs problem only to find another. On a side note, I appreciate all the help I have received on this forum, obviously I have needed it.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every car has its little problems every now and then cant expect it to.be perfect. That said my clutch.went out at 30k miles- talk.about annoying ......
Old 10-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint
Every car has its little problems every now and then cant expect it to.be perfect. That said my clutch.went out at 30k miles- talk.about annoying ......
I understand all cars have problems, it just seems like this kind of stuff shouldn't be rearing it's head till about 75k miles. I do like the car and am trying like heck to squash all the bugs, but they just keep on cropping up.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraword
As I was replacing a little bulb that went out for my heated seat, I realized my passenger door lock without any warning has completely failed, working perfect one minute, useless the next... I just got through replacing the drivers side one about two months ago! What the heck is it with these cars? if it's not one annoying little thing it's another... little lights and door lock actuators are not something that should be rapidly failing on a car with 39k miles! not to mention a ton of rattles I've had to track down and fix. This is my first honda/acura, I expected better quality. Sorry for the rant, but it's frustrating to be in the middle of fixing one bs problem only to find another. On a side note, I appreciate all the help I have received on this forum, obviously I have needed it.
Any chance your car is an 04? There seem to be quite a few of those that have suffered allot more problems (and many that are unique to 04's) than the following model years. That said, my 05 (with over 129K miles) and my wife's 07 (w/ over 100K) have been basically trouble free. Yesterday ironically, I was thinking (on my way home from work) about how after so many miles (and 5 1/2 years) how rattle free and like new the car is. Luck of the draw I guess.

All that said, I will comment on the door lock actuator problem. This seems to be a too common problem with Honda's (and not new, I had to replace one in a 92 Accord EX I had over 15 years ago). I also had to replace one in the 05 (warranty fortunately)(I said basically trouble free!).
Old 10-17-2010, 07:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have an 04, and it's still a lot less trouble than my A4 - both in frequency of repairs and repair costs...
Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Happy to write that my almost 4 year old 06 tsx has been rattle, problem free (knock-on-wood) after 114,000+miles. Love it-still looking good-
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Mines an 05, hopefully after I fix the passenger door lock I can get back to just enjoying this nice car. Guess it was just the timing of this latest problem that left me so frustrated.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Instructor

No car is perfect. Annoying that things are breaking, sure. But do you really expect a machine with thousands and thousands of parts, used daily would not have some issues here and there?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the original poster.

Can you tell us where you found the rattles? I have really just one, somewhere near the passanger area or door or glovebox area.
Plastic trim against metal type noise when I hit bumps , cant locate it.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
At least with these cars, the most common problem is probably door actuators failing, which is annoying, but relatively cheap to fix. It could be worse.

I had relatively few problems with my 04 considering what some people have been through with theirs, but yes, that year is the most problematic. I didn't have one actuator fail in its 7 years.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by limeybstrd
To the original poster.

Can you tell us where you found the rattles? I have really just one, somewhere near the passanger area or door or glovebox area.
Plastic trim against metal type noise when I hit bumps , cant locate it.
One was located behind the silver trim beside the radio on the drivers side, this was the most hideous rattle I have ever heard in my life.
I posted the fix on this forum, I have also had many in my drivers door, unfortunately I have another one in the door now so I'm going to need to take it apart again.

update on my original post, passenger door actuator is now replaced as well as the tiny bulb in my heated seat switch.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acuraword
One was located behind the silver trim beside the radio on the drivers side, this was the most hideous rattle I have ever heard in my life.
I posted the fix on this forum, I have also had many in my drivers door, unfortunately I have another one in the door now so I'm going to need to take it apart again.

update on my original post, passenger door actuator is now replaced as well as the tiny bulb in my heated seat switch.

Where did you get the bulbs from??? or what bulbs are they? I'm in Australia, and parts are soo hard to find
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 04 with 65k miles has only had the right front door lock accuator replaced(I did it,the part was $28) and the CD changer replaced.No rattles or squeeks ever.Feels solid,like a tank.I guess I got a good one.

Last edited by Mr. DB2; 11-09-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So my passenger door lock doesnt work... I'm guessing thats the door lock accuator???...

With the part being $28.00, how much is the labor? Mine went out too.... =[ FML.

If you arm your car and your passenger side door wasn't locked manually... When your unsuspecting passenger gets to your door before you unarm... be prepared to have the alarm go off... (unfortunately, the one day I didn't lock and arm my car, my car manual got stolen... BITCHES!!!!)
Old 11-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I remember (and someone may correct me) Honda went to using plastic gears in the actuators beginning with the 7th gen Accord? My mother's 99 Accord has 90k miles and not one actuator or window regulator has failed.

Before my sister traded in her 08 Accord the passenger's side actuator failed at 33k miles. At 38k miles the driver's rear failed. I am going to assume that one of these days we are going to hear about a class action lawsuit on these. Yes things do fail but this is one part that should last a good 90,000 miles+ without any issues.

Some might think that when setting the system to lock the cars when the car is in motion might cause quicker wear but that at least in our case isn't true. My mother's aftermarket alarm does this as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 PM
9th Gear

The fit and finish on my 2007 TSX is great. My TSX currently has roughly 27K miles on it.

Hopefully, it'll stay rattle free for a long time.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
7th Gear

The first car I bought was an 04 TSX with 100K miles on it. Drove it until 146K, never had a cluctch replaced and the front passenger door lock actuator did fail and got it replaced through the dealership. Other than that car was sturdy, didn't rattle and a pleasure to drive. Less than four weeks ago a drunk driver being persued by the policed hit a van behind me at a light and the van came to rest on my trunk of the car. Off course totaled because the frame was destroyed.

Bought another 04 TSX 6 speed off course with 67K miles on it. When I got it the same front passenger door lock actuator was broken. I replaced it myself for $28. The first time takes a while second time it'll take 15 mins at most. This one also had two brake bulbs out, which I also replaced. Now driving like a charm.