TSX Auto v. '02 V6 Accord Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005 | 07:59 AM
2nd Gear

TSX Auto v. '02 V6 Accord Coupe?

So...
I used to drive the fully loaded 2002 Accord Coupe V6 w/ 200 hp and 195 lb torque. I'm now seriously looking at a TSX, but have read a lot of posted comments about the lagging automatic transmission. My question is - the TSX is a smaller car (correct?) and also a ligher car (?) with the same horsepower as my old car (200hp)...will the 25 lb torque defecit really make the TSX feel that much slower than the Accord? My old car didn't feel muted at all; quite the opposite actually - it had a lot of punch and get up and go.

How do you all think they compare? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-13-2005 | 08:53 AM
Team Owner

Anyone that told you that the TSX has a lagging automatic is on crack. The TSX 5AT is one of the quickest, smoothest transmissions every to appear on a Honda vehicle.

As for the torque difference, you might feel a bit less thrust, but the car will be much better around the corners. Test drive it extensively and decide for yourself.
Old 01-13-2005 | 09:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Anyone that told you that the TSX has a lagging automatic is on crack. The TSX 5AT is one of the quickest, smoothest transmissions every to appear on a Honda vehicle.

As for the torque difference, you might feel a bit less thrust, but the car will be much better around the corners. Test drive it extensively and decide for yourself.
If there's anything that's been said about the AT's in their defense, is that Honda, for once got it right.
Old 01-13-2005 | 09:26 AM
6th Gear

You'll like it

I had a 2001 Accord V6. Yes you won't get that push back in the seat getting on the freeway and The stop light grand prix is probably out of the question. But the TSX handles and drives like a dream. You'll have no problem keeping up with traffic. I loved my Accord and I put over 100,000 miles on it and the TSX is better
Old 01-13-2005 | 10:08 AM
2nd Gear

When I used the word 'lagging' - I didn't mean the transmission was unresponsive or geared wrong or anything like that, rather the total speed of the car was muted by an automatic in comparison to a manual. Does that make sense? Sorry for the confusion...

I realize it may not jolt me back in my seat with the 'torque' feel, but what about 0-60 numbers? Far off from the Accord (seems like I remember it being about 7.5-8)?
Old 01-13-2005 | 10:58 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by TollKinder
When I used the word 'lagging' - I didn't mean the transmission was unresponsive or geared wrong or anything like that, rather the total speed of the car was muted by an automatic in comparison to a manual. Does that make sense? Sorry for the confusion...

I realize it may not jolt me back in my seat with the 'torque' feel, but what about 0-60 numbers? Far off from the Accord (seems like I remember it being about 7.5-8)?
oh no. ok i'm not bashing AT, but yes, the AT does feel like it's slower than the MT. but for the most part, that will be true for most cars.

i personally dont lie driving AT - it always feels like it's in too high of a gear, even tho you can use the SS to hold it in gear - the slight delay gets on my nerves.

why dont you drive both before you make your decision? i did.

i have a MT, but the AT on the tsx is pretty smooth.

Old 01-13-2005 | 11:22 AM
Audi Driving Snob

I think you'll be surprised by a couple things. After talking with my buddy, stevtecv6(from v6performance.net) ad naseum about this stuff and comparing dynos you'll see a couple interesting trends. Let's disregard a/t gearing because if you have the 5 speed auto they are closely geared. Also assume stock trim for both. Between 2000-4000 rpms the tsx creates more torque than the 02 av6. From 4000-6000 rpms whe the accord is "on cam" it creates more torque than the tsx. The av6 torque curve falls off much faster as you approach redline and obviously the tsx has some more rpms to play with.

The difference in "feel" people have noted is contributed more to the fact that the tsx has peak tq from about 2500-5000 rpms then starts falling off slowly while the av6 lags in torque production and then comes on strong. That gives you that push in the back feel even though it doesn't necessarily denote any better performance. It's an artifcact of the shape of the torque curve, not the absolute numbers produced. That being said the av6 under full throttle is going to be marginally quicker (probably a couple tenths) as when you are hard on the throttle the tach is going to stay between 4-6k rpms where it has an advantage.
Old 01-13-2005 | 01:41 PM
I'm the Firestarter

For the old Accord V6 I recall Car and Driver posting a 0-60 number of 7.2 sec. I don't know how they got that but it's the same as the TSX 6MT, and seems to be a lot more than most people like to think the 5AT does. I wish they would post some numbers for the 5AT, because they seem to get by far the best numbers of any car mag.

Now, as a 5AT owner I would like to believe that the '02 Accord V6 was pretty close to the 5AT TSX. I think the TSX is at least the same weight, but it does have extra gears (don't know if they're more agressive though, with 5 vs 4 they should be). I'd say it would be at least 0.5 sec slower, maybe even 1 sec. Some people here posted some horrible numbers in the 9 sec range but I find that hard to believe.

The thing about autos is that they don't launch like the MTs, so that's probably where a good chunk of the loss comes from. The other is the 1-2 gear change, but the rest of the acceleration should be the same. I would think the 5AT of the TSX is better than the 4AT of the Accord so it should help out the TSX...
Old 01-13-2005 | 02:16 PM
A Commuter

when ever i drive the accord..i can definatly tell the extra toruqe..and the engine does feel more peppyer...but then thats becuase the v6 has 3000cc's...remember..never can replace displacement..

but i do think TSX's engine is more smoother...
Old 01-13-2005 | 02:43 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

once rolling you should have no problems with catching most cars on the road.
Old 01-13-2005 | 02:54 PM
White and Nerdy

Forgive me if this is dumb (Im not into dynos, etc.), but would the "drive by wire" make a difference?

I dont know if this is due to "drive by wire", but to me, there feels like there is less "lag time" from pushing the pedal to engine response with the TSX compared to other cars I have owned ('97 Accord, Pontiac Firebird, Pontiac Grand Pricks) which makes passing and other freeway activities very easy.
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Forgive me if this is dumb (Im not into dynos, etc.), but would the "drive by wire" make a difference?

I dont know if this is due to "drive by wire", but to me, there feels like there is less "lag time" from pushing the pedal to engine response with the TSX compared to other cars I have owned ('97 Accord, Pontiac Firebird, Pontiac Grand Pricks) which makes passing and other freeway activities very easy.
Could very well be.
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:43 PM
04 remembrance

The difference in speed won't be profound enough for you to be dissatisfied, but the TSX will definitely be slower.

Also, exlcuding the Navi option, all TSX's come fully loaded, so you won't miss out on any features.

Hope that helped.

Oh and also, remember to test drive one. It'll help you feel the car rather than drawing assumptions from rumors.