TSUX: Center Console Instruments Go Black

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004 | 11:57 PM
Banned

Thumbs up TSUX: Center Console Instruments Go Black

So I'm driving home from Costco today... having had an epiphany today in class. My epiphany was that I really loved my car and I was really happy I bought a Honda.

So I get in the car and turn on the headlights and wipers... because it's dark and raining. Imagine my shock when I look over and my radio can't be seen. Furthermore, imagine my shock when I see that my climate control and clock cannot be seen either.

So I pull over and take a look. The climate control can barely be read... I can only see the bottom half of the TEMP characters... looks just like a broken LCD screen on a calculator or something. But this is on all three instruments! They're all dead! WTF IS THAT.
Old 02-28-2004 | 12:31 AM
Instructor

Re: TSUX: Center Console Instruments Go Black

Originally posted by Crazytree
So I'm driving home from Costco today... having had an epiphany today in class. My epiphany was that I really loved my car and I was really happy I bought a Honda.

So I get in the car and turn on the headlights and wipers... because it's dark and raining. Imagine my shock when I look over and my radio can't be seen. Furthermore, imagine my shock when I see that my climate control and clock cannot be seen either.

So I pull over and take a look. The climate control can barely be read... I can only see the bottom half of the TEMP characters... looks just like a broken LCD screen on a calculator or something. But this is on all three instruments! They're all dead! WTF IS THAT.
Either:
1. You have the brightness dial turned way down.
2. Your car is screwed. Weren't you having gas mileage problems back in the day also?
If #1 isn't the problem, I'd get that car checked out.
Old 02-28-2004 | 03:12 AM
Advanced

Have you tried holding the CD/Aux button down for five to ten seconds? When I do that on my car the clock, climate control, and radio go dark too. Doing the reverse turns them back on.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:33 AM
Instructor

Doesn't sound like something as simple as being off, if he sees the bottom half of the LCD displays. But it sounds unlikely that all three would screw up like this at once. Maybe there's something wrong with the fuse and they aren't getting enough voltage? Just take it in and find out for us...
Old 02-28-2004 | 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by MikeL
Have you tried holding the CD/Aux button down for five to ten seconds? When I do that on my car the clock, climate control, and radio go dark too. Doing the reverse turns them back on.

Good luck!
Definitely going to try this on the way to school this morning. (Gotta love being at school 6 days a week.)

Originally posted by Proo
Doesn't sound like something as simple as being off, if he sees the bottom half of the LCD displays. But it sounds unlikely that all three would screw up like this at once. Maybe there's something wrong with the fuse and they aren't getting enough voltage? Just take it in and find out for us...
Low voltage is exactly what came to mind. I also found another boardmember with the exact same problem on one of the Easter Egg threads. Will advise.
Old 02-28-2004 | 03:48 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Originally posted by MikeL

Good luck!
Yes...try this...I usually do this to go stealth mode at night...
Old 02-28-2004 | 05:06 PM
Banned

OK now that it's daylight I can see clearly what's going on.

The clock, radio and climate control are all visible. However they are only BARELY visible to the point where you have to get really close and you can BARELY make out the numbers. I tried holding down the CD/AUX button for 5 seconds... and it beeped but nothing changed. Held it down again for another 5 seconds... another beep but no change.

Looks like I'm going to have to take it in... for this issue and for rattle #4. Only problem is that I have finals next week and I am not sure that I am going to be ok without transportation. Might have to wait for a week and a half to take it in. ARGH.
Old 02-28-2004 | 05:12 PM
UK Spec

OK now that it's daylight I can see clearly what's going on.

The clock, radio and climate control are all visible. However they are only BARELY visible to the point where you have to get really close and you can BARELY make out the numbers. I tried holding down the CD/AUX button for 5 seconds... and it beeped but nothing changed. Held it down again for another 5 seconds... another beep but no change.

Looks like I'm going to have to take it in... for this issue and for rattle #4. Only problem is that I have finals next week and I am not sure that I am going to be ok without transportation. Might have to wait for a week and a half to take it in. ARGH.
going tell them the problem
let them drive it and see the problem for themselves
book appointment after ur midterm/finals

or ask for a loaner...
Old 02-28-2004 | 07:43 PM
Advanced

This problem has been reported several times by several owners. If not on this board then other TSX boards.
Old 03-01-2004 | 09:20 AM

ive had the same problem...most likely you'll have to get the radio replaced...definitely disappointing...

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...center+console

use search to find more related threads...
Old 03-01-2004 | 10:34 AM
8th Gear

I just got that problem fixed. Seems to be more prevalent as more TSX's are on the road. Dealer told me that there is a independent dimmer switch for the radio/ac/clock and that component shorted out. No way to fix the problem just requires replacement of the entire center console. It will probably take a while to get a new radio since they were on back-order and took 1 1/2 weeks to get mine. But they fixed it and gave me a loaner ('04 TL btw) and now it works fine.
Old 03-01-2004 | 10:40 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Crazytree, I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but you REALLY need to get your priorities straight.

Take the car in!
Old 03-01-2004 | 08:06 PM
Banned

2-4 weeks to replace with a refurb since there is a "critical shortage". said that they had 6 TSX's with the same problem... and that it seems like they all broke exactly at the same time.
Old 03-01-2004 | 09:37 PM
such a dirty birdy

2-4 weeks to replace with a refurb since there is a "critical shortage". said that they had 6 TSX's with the same problem... and that it seems like they all broke exactly at the same time.
Earthquake? Perhaps you were studying hard and didn't notice.
Old 03-02-2004 | 08:55 AM

wow, 2-4 weeks for a refurb unit...guess im one of the lucky ones that was able to get it done in a week
Old 03-22-2004 | 10:31 PM
04 remembrance

Crazy-Tree, did you get a loaner?
Old 03-23-2004 | 12:00 AM
Banned

no but I was offered an "equipment upgrade".

but the part was supposed to get here on Friday... getting upset now.