The truth about Acura, Progressive Insurance, and Acura Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cambo
did u not know that Acura parts are more than honda parts even though they are the same part?

Every car company does it. Mark up the Lux brand parts more than the "regular" brand parts. Its simple economics really. They can do it because most lux car owners are not very price averse over a couple of bucks.

As for the oil change recommendation of 5000 miles instead of 7500 miles, thats just old mantra. Remember when the usual recommendation was change your oil every 3000 miles? Old habits are hard to break, old myths are even harder to break.
well, it's hard to break the old habit with me. i still struggle with waiting so long for an oil change.

but the fact that he said "acura recommends" is what pissed me off, because acura doesn't recommend that according to my manual and the maintenence minder.

as for the parts, i understand the logic, but i think it's dispicable. i'm not struggling for money as me and my fiance have excellent paying jobs for 24 year olds, but i don't care how much i make, i'm not paying extra money for a part just because i bought it at the acura dealer vs honda dealer, or lexus vs toyota etc.

it's just dispicable in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
any updates?
Went to look at my car last weekend. Looked over the engine and I'm more convinced than ever that Acura and the dealer are fawking with me. 8 of the valves have been removed from the head, they look straight as an arrow, the other eight are still in the head and appear to be seated properly. I asked the owner of the repair shop about the condition of the valves and he said that I should place the valves in a drill and see if there's any wobble. Then he took out a box, which contained a bunch of old parts he had removed from another car, and he showed me some twisted valves and said "...this is what you usually see when valves are being hit by the piston". There was no comparison between those bent valves and the valves that were removed from my car.

I also looked at the pistons, they're still in the engine, and they don't look like they've been rapping against valves. Once the engine is out of my car I'll check the connecting rods to see if they're bent at all. At this point I doubt I'll ever know what was really wrong with my car.

I spoke with the insurance adjuster this week and he said the oil sample they sent to the lab had been analyzed and that their were no signs of water or other contaminants.

The shop is replacing the engine this week. I just got the district court small claims forms in the mail and I'll be filing a breach of warranty claim against Acura. If I win at least I'll recover part of my costs.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Santacruz
Went to look at my car last weekend. Looked over the engine and I'm more convinced than ever that Acura and the dealer are fawking with me. 8 of the valves have been removed from the head, they look straight as an arrow, the other eight are still in the head and appear to be seated properly. I asked the owner of the repair shop about the condition of the valves and he said that I should place the valves in a drill and see if there's any wobble. Then he took out a box, which contained a bunch of old parts he had removed from another car, and he showed me some twisted valves and said "...this is what you usually see when valves are being hit by the piston". There was no comparison between those bent valves and the valves that were removed from my car.

I also looked at the pistons, they're still in the engine, and they don't look like they've been rapping against valves. Once the engine is out of my car I'll check the connecting rods to see if they're bent at all. At this point I doubt I'll ever know what was really wrong with my car.

I spoke with the insurance adjuster this week and he said the oil sample they sent to the lab had been analyzed and that their were no signs of water or other contaminants.

The shop is replacing the engine this week. I just got the district court small claims forms in the mail and I'll be filing a breach of warranty claim against Acura. If I win at least I'll recover part of my costs.
good luck man, what a shitty story to be attached to our wonderful car.

if i were you, i'd write a nice letter to Acura Customer Service, and follow it up with a phone call, and inform them that you are going to send your story to local media outlets, newspapers, consumer buying magazines and websites, as well as the major shows (dateline, 20/20, all that "we investigate" crap).

even if it never goes anywhere, at least you'll give them a good PR scare. you can include information from your insurance company and from the mechanic who fixed an actual engine with hydrolock.

you never know, might get them to respond.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I still have no idea why they would need to replace the whole engine. It's like getting a flat tire and throwing away all the wheels. At worst, all they would need to do is replace the head, and more likely, just the damaged valves.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Racer

Why do you have to take Acura to court? I'm glad you are doing this, but your insurance company is covering you correct? So if you win the lawsuit dont you have to give that money won to your insurance company to reimburse them??
Old 07-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I still have no idea why they would need to replace the whole engine. It's like getting a flat tire and throwing away all the wheels. At worst, all they would need to do is replace the head, and more likely, just the damaged valves.
Yes, no need to replace the engine. My dad has been a mechanic for 20 years. (has his own business).

99% sure all he needs is a cylinder head job from a machine shop so they can resurface the head check for cracks, etc. The machine shop will pop in the new valves, against everything and then you just need to assemble everything back together which isnt bad at all. Extra precaution I would put in a new timing chain and tensioner.

This would cost no more then $2000.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Racer

Also, to do a simple check of the block and pistons are good. Just visually inspect the cylinder walls have no straches or grooves in them. If you want to check if the piston rings have a good seal again the cylinder wall. Fill up the all 4 pistons with tranny fluid over night. The next day there should be the same amount of tranny fluid in the pistons. Is so then just replace the head as mentioned above.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Dude! I doubt Manhatten has ever left a two miles stretch of unpaved roadway open for over a year. I'm talking about a two lane dirt road here, not a repaving job! The undercarriage of the rental I had was completely covered in dirt after two weeks.
manhattan might not, but all the surrounding areas do. the area outside the holland tunnel will be rough pavement for a long time, might as well be a dirt road.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:08 PM
TXSTATE BOBCATS

this situation does suck, even if they replace the whole engine... say goodbye to the resale value.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lancer
this situation does suck, even if they replace the whole engine... say goodbye to the resale value.
Why??

If an engine is replaced properly the new owner wouldnt even know anything has been touched.

Say you have an 04 TSX with 50k miles. Which gets a brand new engine 0 miles?? I would rather take the 0 miles TSX. You are basically getting a new car all over again. The engine is the heart of the car.

The seller doesnt even have to tell the new owner it has a new engine.

I would say yes in a heartbeat to get a NEW engine in my Acura.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Why??

If an engine is replaced properly the new owner wouldnt even know anything has been touched.

Say you have an 04 TSX with 50k miles. Which gets a brand new engine 0 miles?? I would rather take the 0 miles TSX. You are basically getting a new car all over again. The engine is the heart of the car.

The seller doesnt even have to tell the new owner it has a new engine.

I would say yes in a heartbeat to get a NEW engine in my Acura.
My engine is new, but the chassis has 97,500km on it. I've had numerous people enquiring about the car, wanting to buy it, because the engine is basically brand new (new shortblock, rebuilt head).

I'd say it would definately not hurt resale value that's for sure!