TL vs TSX observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:18 PM
TSX Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL vs TSX observations

I own a CG TSX 6sp non-navi and my dad recently purchased a shiny Black 04 TL auto non navi. I have driven it twice and this is my two cents on the TL vs TSX, not in any order; drives bigger (bumps are more dampened), engine much quieter at speed (does not work near as hard as TSX, no duh you say), thicker steering wheel with a notched area around 10 & 2 which I liked, an auto dimmer on/off switch on rear view mirror that clicks and will stay off after restarting car so you don't have to constantly disable (a peave I have with the TSX, I favor the non dim mode!), dash gauges that light up well but I like the TSX format/look better, I liked the mpg computer (but wonder how useful it is, he said it was reading 38mpg on the interstate at 70mph), I "stepped on it" going about 35mph, and it did not pull much more than the TSX does in 2nd/3rd (maybe the TL 6sp would really kick it...probably so), sunglass holder is hard to access (it is tucked in door panel), and this was funny, I heard an annoying drivers side window rattle (his hearing is not has sharp and he did not really know about it, but I sure hear it and it actually bothered me driving down the road). My TSX has a few odd squeaks in cold weather, but not a constant issue and pretty
much a non issue in warmer weather (so far!).
This is the sweet kicker here; my sister had seen his car numerous times before she ever saw a TSX. When she first saw my car, she said "it looks much better the the TL," which most on this board probably agree (& she was 100% unbiased, did not know the price difference, etc).
All and all, I like the TL, but do not feel I am missing anything major owning the TSX, ...esp in the looks department. Yeah, folks will mention the horsepower, memory seats and passenger seat power adjustments, etc, but those things are not all that important to me (or to any of my passengers as of yet).
Just my two.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

I agree with everything you said, especially the minimal difference at higher speeds, although you are comparing a manual TSX to the auto TL. I also like the lay out of the interior much better in the TSX, specifically I especially dislike the cassette player in the TL. Although the materials used and finish is so much nicer in the TL, and that almost swayed me to purchase it. Basically I really dislike the leather inserts in the TSX, as opposed to the entire seat being leather.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

I'm pretty sure that the TL also has a "Leather-Trimmed" interior, which usually means that just the part you actually sit on (and a few other trim pieces) are made of leather, the rest being Vinyl. I believe even the new RL's interior is "leather-trimmed". It's common in many different upscale makes.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Advanced

I think i read somewhere that the auto TL and the manual TSX have the exact same 0-60 time according to Car and Driver. I am wondering if any one else rememebers this? This is probably why you did not feel much of a difference in pick up. Gotta say though, the TL interior is very nice, but so is the TSX, but in different ways. What would make the TSX perfect for me would be: a little bit more power (not much, just a tad maybe 15-20 hp but still in i4 form), memory seats, reverse tilting side mirrors, a little less trunk room for 2 inches more rear leg room (only when i put the drivers seat all the way back to be comfortable), white lights inside (on radio and window switches etc) and offering black on black in canada!

I test drove the TL auto as well as the TSX auto and the manual versions of both as well . If I was going auto it would be for the TL. With manual i am more swayed towards the TSX because of its easier to use clutch and no torque steer and more nimble size.
Either way, good choices
Old 04-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I like the paint colors of the TSX better - the Milano Red is hot, hot, hot!!! I just saw one on the freeway today and I almost wished that I had bought the red one instead! LOL The other colors also look wonderful on the TSX (CG, NHB, PWP, SSM, MSM). However, for some reason, I think that only a couple of colors look great with the TL (SSM, Anthracite) and the rest are just so so... don't know why...
Old 04-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Advanced

I agree. It does say something that the TSX looks good in every color (ok, maybe not so great in white ). But IMHO, if I were to get a TL, it would have to be NBP or RR. All others look not-so-hot.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:58 AM
Houston we have a problem

Since the thread starter have commented on the interior/engine power/ride issue, I will just comment on the handling part.

I test drove a TL 6 spd with All Season Tires, and I am able to go through some high and low speed corner. What I found out, is that TL definitely have an upper hand in putting down power to the ground. The LSD works perfectly (well, with some tugging of the steering wheel). The inside front wheel just wouldn't spin no matter what I do, which really really helps in low speed corners.

However, I found that the handling is not as sharp. It felt like the car is a tad behind the drivers input, whereas TSX respond quicker. It float a little more than TSX and doesn't give as much 'feel' as TSX. The steering is also more isolated (TSX is not strong in this area as well), and not as responsive as TSX.

All in all, I wouldn't go for a TL. It felt more mature, and at the same time, loses some fun factor.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Banned

Yesterday, I have driven a TSX and TL. I was surprized to realize that the TL has not that much more room than the TSX, except for its obvious larger width. Also, the TSX felt more properly damped; the suspension works a bit better. However, powertrain wise, the TL buries the TSX.

You just get more with the TL and no surprise, it is priced higher.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Spooooooon !

Originally posted by ostrich
I like the paint colors of the TSX better - the Milano Red is hot, hot, hot!!! I just saw one on the freeway today and I almost wished that I had bought the red one instead! LOL The other colors also look wonderful on the TSX (CG, NHB, PWP, SSM, MSM). However, for some reason, I think that only a couple of colors look great with the TL (SSM, Anthracite) and the rest are just so so... don't know why...
I'm hurt that you left out arctic blue pearl

:sqnteek:
Old 04-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by JonDeutsch
... (ok, maybe not so great in white ). ...
:'(
Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Advanced

I went to the dealer today, and saw TSXs in most of the colors.

The Blue looks classy, but IMHO does not express the sportiness of the TSX. It expresses the sleekness and the classiness of the chasis.

The white actually looks much better than I remembered! Sharp! Not for me, but I take back my anti-white remarks!

Jon
Old 04-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Oops! callmetsx, I am sorry that I left out ABP! It's actually the only color that I have not seen yet, that's why I left it out by mistake! Sorry!!!

jlukja, I am not a white car fan usually, but I love the PWP on the TSX! It's a very warm and soft white color - I was shocked by how gorgeous it looked on the TSX!
Old 04-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Pro

Would not go for any acura right now.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

i have driven both the manuel and auto TL and i own a 6 speed TSX. i can say in the power department the TL will definitly whoop a TSX ass. but having owned a TL in the past and driven a new TL i can say it is definitly a heavier car. it is more refined to a luxary type of ride.
besides a few creature comforts i dont feel i missed much in the TL i agree with the gauges, i dont like them nearly as much as the TSX. im 33 now. perhaps when my lease is up i may consider the TL in the future and if acura remains consistant in the way they build cars im sure some new features will be added to the current TL towards the end of this models production run.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:03 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CJ Majesty
Would not go for any acura right now.
Then go buy a Ford Taurus.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Orangeblood

I drove em both in AT. The TL is just enough bigger to feel like Das Boot, but not enough bigger to accomplish much (leaving out backseat passengers here).

I much prefer the TSX interior. The TL is somewhat from the G35/Maxima spaceship model. So is the back end. Better executed than both. Honda avoids the styling atrocities that Nissan commits regularly (and Toyota slightly less often).

I came from Das Boot (95 Aurora, which was a great car, but too damn big). So I dig the TSX. Also, I didn't think the acceleration/torque coming from the TL was a marked advantage.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Race Director

also the TL has ugly dual exhaust shapes they're like squarish, unlike the TSX which is round and extends out further from under the body.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Orangeblood

Im with ya on the exhaust on the TL, the whole back end for that matter is a bit too . . . . something. I became aware of TSX at Dallas Auto Show in March. A TL was there too and getting more of a crowd. I liked what I saw of the TL til I saw the back end.

But I circled back to the TSX though no fewer than 3 times. And now I own one.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
also the TL has ugly dual exhaust shapes they're like squarish, unlike the TSX which is round and extends out further from under the body.
Speaking of exhaust on the TL, if aftermarket exhaust is made available for the TL, will they make the tips the same shape as the stock ones or will they be round? I think it'll look weird if round ones are put on with the stock rear bumper.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Über Geek

Re: TL vs TSX observations

Originally posted by ECsteve
…an auto dimmer on/off switch on rear view mirror that clicks and will stay off after restarting car so you don't have to constantly disable (a peave I have with the TSX, I favor the non dim mode!)
I used to feel the same way. Then I unplugged the power cord from the back of the mirror. Problem solved. Soon I'll splice it together with my radar detector power cord and get rid of the annoying coiled cable going down the power adaptor.

Sometimes it's GOOD to be anal-retentive.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:45 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by MarkPinTx
Honda avoids the styling atrocities that Nissan commits regularly (and Toyota slightly less often).
Agree 95%, but the back end of the Accord is just hideous, and one of the reasons I just can't buy one....I call it "the car with no a**"

I would say, however, that the greatest exterior blunder committed by Nissan was offering their cars in burnt orange...who in the hell likes that color anywhere...right Mark?
Old 10-10-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
One thing I don't like about the TL interior is those metal bands going all the way from the dash down towards the console. As others pointed out, it's the same kind of thing as infinity, you get soo much fake metal surface. I find it more tasteful in the TSX where it's used more as an accent.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Fire The Tl Designers!

Hey all... I drove a 04 TL AT for a couple of days while my TSX was getting some of the dealer extras put on. I must say, while the ride and accelleration are a bit smoother, the TL really turned me off, especially in the exterior and interior styling. The interior dash and door lines were bulky and looked more like something GM would do to their interiors. I totally did not care for the drivers or passenger seats. I felt like I was driving the "Bat Mobile"...it even felt like something count dracula would sit in! The sleek, simple sporty/elegant look that I feel Acura is known for was completely thrown out the door with the re-design of the TL. As far as the exterior goes, the TL has similar lines as the Nissan Maxima. Did Nissan fire some of its designers only to be picked up by Acura??? Anyways.....I feel the TSX is a tastefully designed car with the right combo of sport and class. The new RL has some very similiar lines to the TSX...thank God! Acura should fire the Nissan designers and go back to the drawing board with the TL. Quite frankly, I liked the recently retired TL design much better than the new one. I guess I will have to wait another 5 years for a re-design before I even consider looking at the TL again.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
One thing I don't like about the TL interior is those metal bands going all the way from the dash down towards the console. As others pointed out, it's the same kind of thing as infinity, you get soo much fake metal surface. I find it more tasteful in the TSX where it's used more as an accent.
The silver colored trim you refer to in the TL is real aluminum.

Unlike the TSX.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jwaters943

Unlike the TSX.
Originally Posted by MarkPinTx
Agree 95%, but the back end of the Accord is just hideous, and one of the reasons I just can't buy one....I call it "the car with no a**"
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Real aluminum once bent is very hard to straigten out

Hideous rear end in Accord

Square exhaust is just like those ugly Grand-Prix's I've seen

TSX is the one I went with
Old 10-10-2004, 07:00 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXautoXer
Since the thread starter have commented on the interior/engine power/ride issue, I will just comment on the handling part.

I test drove a TL 6 spd with All Season Tires, and I am able to go through some high and low speed corner. What I found out, is that TL definitely have an upper hand in putting down power to the ground. The LSD works perfectly (well, with some tugging of the steering wheel). The inside front wheel just wouldn't spin no matter what I do, which really really helps in low speed corners.

However, I found that the handling is not as sharp. It felt like the car is a tad behind the drivers input, whereas TSX respond quicker. It float a little more than TSX and doesn't give as much 'feel' as TSX. The steering is also more isolated (TSX is not strong in this area as well), and not as responsive as TSX.

All in all, I wouldn't go for a TL. It felt more mature, and at the same time, loses some fun factor.
I found the TL to be much less nimble on the road; less road feel. Heavier car, and it felt it. Pure acceleration, the TL wins via greater power, but it is not nearly as fun to drive. I had set out to lease a TL, ended up with the TSX

Others have noted the cab design - I think the TSX is a more understated and thoughtful interior, the TL gets a bit tarted up.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:00 PM
White and Nerdy

Unlike the TSX.
Hey, my wife works for ALCOA...and she can't even tell its fake Aluminum!!!!
Old 10-10-2004, 11:22 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts

Unlike the TSX.
Hmm, when I looked at it it didn't seem more impressive than the TSX. Maybe I was really put off by the design.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Banned

Hello Guys, I am from the TL forum. ANd after reading your comments. I have to disagree with most of them. I have a 99 TL which is built like bank vault, quick as any BMW 3 Series, and handles just fine for its size. You are comparing Apples to Oranges here. Our TL's are much bigger and heavier. For its size and weight, the TL could be the perfect car for N America.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSXautoXer

I agree with your assesment...to me its right on the mark with how i feel...I love the "fun to drive" feeling of the TSX....the TL is definitely more mature....just wish the TSX had a bit more power to add to the "fun"
Old 10-19-2004, 08:41 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MADCAT
Hello Guys, I am from the TL forum. ANd after reading your comments. I have to disagree with most of them. I have a 99 TL which is built like bank vault, quick as any BMW 3 Series, and handles just fine for its size. You are comparing Apples to Oranges here. Our TL's are much bigger and heavier. For its size and weight, the TL could be the perfect car for N America.
Thank you for your fair assesment. I must say though, as a CL owner and former TL owner... IMO... neither of our cars handle remotely close to "fine" for their size from the factory.

They are sub-par in the handling category to most cars in their segment.

I accept this, as our cars make up for it in so many other ways.

Now... before any other TL owners decide to come to this thread... I will quote what I said there:

Originally Posted by soopa
Just as you guys believe "TL > *"

They believe the same.

They, as you, have made a decision... and invested a large portion of their hard earned money into it.

They didn't bring their opinions here to rag on the TL, you wen't to their community. They have every right to have an opinion. There are pros and cons to every vehicle.

Please refrain from brewing trouble between the communities... we are all family here.

Originally Posted by soopa
it's like comparing a civic vs. accord, a corolla vs. camry. 4cylinders vs. 6cylinders.
Be realistic here.

Its not as drastic a difference as you might like to believe.

They are similarly equipped, similarly designed cars.

One is small, One is big.

One has two extra cylinders, one has the pep to out handle the other.

There are pluses and there are minuses. You made your choice, and you have every right to be happy with... and defend it. As do they.
Let's keep it gentlemenly. We are all friends here.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:39 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets keep it rea
Old 10-19-2004, 09:56 AM
ric
Safety Car

Acura designs and manufactures cars that speak to a subset of the marketplace; their design and fitout set them apart, and I doubt that they will ever be a massive manufacturer. However, their marketing impuse, which is driven by the creation of a few basic choices on the dealer floor, allows them to sell an upscale product at very competitive prices, and the value recieved for money spent on virtually any car in the Acura line is substantive, and is generally reflected in "why I picked the ????? model" on any of the Acura member sites. It might be worth looking at those commonalities - sensitive and thoughtful design, meticulous reputation for durability, rather than depricating one car over another because of the intended design differences.

That said, I think the design differences are there by intent at Acura, to allow them to address the broadest market sector possible. Studying those differences to understand personal "fit" is worthwhile, but that doesn't necessitate bashing the alternatives, or the people who select them.

As noted earlier on this post, I looked at both, and found, to my surprise, that my personal "fit" was a preference for the TSX - the elusive-to-define "fun factor" in driving being the key, and I personally found the TSX interior to be simpler, more to my taste. That hardly renders the TL a crappy car............

The choice of the Acura is already a distinction in the marketplace, as it is not a "mainstream" car by definition (i.e. the huge product lines generated by GM, Ford, Daimler/Chrysler products with all of their subsidiaries and subsets, or Toyota.). We're playing with relatively esoteric choices here........
Old 10-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Boy Genius

Saying the TL is better than a TSX is about as good as saying a BMW M5 is superior to an M3. It doesn't mean the M3 is any less a car than the M5, but each has its own unique qualities that need to be appreciated differently. As ric said, the fact that everyone chose an Acura says that TL and TSX owners probably have a lot more in common than they think.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lokman
Saying the TL is better than a TSX is about as good as saying a BMW M5 is superior to an M3. It doesn't mean the M3 is any less a car than the M5, but each has its own unique qualities that need to be appreciated differently. As ric said, the fact that everyone chose an Acura says that TL and TSX owners probably have a lot more in common than they think.
'
Old 10-19-2004, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear

Car and Driver does not like the Tl as mich as the TSX. They argue that the TL with it's larger engine has a significant amount of torque steer that the TSX does not have. They would like to see the car in a rear-wheel drive version.

Of course i have neither...just my $.02
Old 10-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by congogrey
Car and Driver does not like the Tl as mich as the TSX. They argue that the TL with it's larger engine has a significant amount of torque steer that the TSX does not have. They would like to see the car in a rear-wheel drive version.

wait till the TL gets SH-AWD
Old 10-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlukja
:'(
haw haw! grab a kleenex and go find comfort in the posts of your fellow pwp pws at the pwp owners unite thread.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by congogrey

The TSX has no torque steer because it doens't have much torque!

Seriously, the TL's torque steer problem is, according to several sources, a non-issue on the automatic version.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62

Seriously, the TL's torque steer problem is, according to several sources, a non-issue on the automatic version.

So says Car and Driver as well.

Quick Reply: TL vs TSX observations