TL vs TSX observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004 | 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by congogrey
Car and Driver does not like the Tl as mich as the TSX. They argue that the TL with it's larger engine has a significant amount of torque steer that the TSX does not have. They would like to see the car in a rear-wheel drive version.

Of course i have neither...just my $.02
Hmm this does bring up a great point. WHile the TSX has won comparions and is a 10 best winner, the TL hasn't won shit, nor has come close to. THough the TL is maybe the best selling Acura ever? Clearly both great steps over the previous TL and the waht, 4-door Intergra?
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:03 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by lokman
Saying the TL is better than a TSX is about as good as saying a BMW M5 is superior to an M3. It doesn't mean the M3 is any less a car than the M5, but each has its own unique qualities that need to be appreciated differently. As ric said, the fact that everyone chose an Acura says that TL and TSX owners probably have a lot more in common than they think.
very good analogy
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmm this does bring up a great point. WHile the TSX has won comparions and is a 10 best winner, the TL hasn't won shit, nor has come close to. THough the TL is maybe the best selling Acura ever? Clearly both great steps over the previous TL and the waht, 4-door Intergra?

But isn't sales what determines a winner? Obvioulsy the TL hasn't been glorified in the major mags because writers are bitter that it isn't RWD and immediately write it off, just like whats happening now with the RL and its lack of a V8. Sales is the true measure of a vehicles worth and so far it seems the TSX and TL are both winners.
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:26 PM
The Dude

I see a lot more TL's on the road than TSX's. I might see 1 TL a day and in comparision 1 TSX in a week. I think the TSX falls more into a smaller niche of the driving population than the TL.

As for performance, besides the damped suspension, there is also the audio quality of the TL. I drove with a friend for 6 hours and noticed that the road noise is quieter in the TL than my TSX and the audio capability is better. Of course, that's part of the reason the TL is more expensive so it's only natural for the TL to have better sound quality.

I still prefer driving the TSX as it feels like a smaller car and as for audio, I like having my iPod in my TSX better than any dvd-audio the TL has.
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:55 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by darth62
Seriously, the TL's torque steer problem is, according to several sources, a non-issue on the automatic version.
Yes, but anyone looking for a sporty sedan should be looking at manual trannies -- not slushboxes.
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:59 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Hmm, when I looked at it it didn't seem more impressive than the TSX. Maybe I was really put off by the design.
I prefer the color of the aluminum trim in the TL over the TSX simply because the stuff in the TL isn't so bright. As long as it holds up okay, I could care less if it's real or fake.
Old 10-19-2004 | 06:40 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The TL was Consumer Report's highest rated upscale vehicle (above the TSX, IS300, 3-series, ES330, etc). I'd call that being a "winner."
Old 10-19-2004 | 06:40 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by STL
Yes, but anyone looking for a sporty sedan should be looking at manual trannies -- not slushboxes.

About 70% of TSXs are sold with at AT, and I'm willing to bet that the ratio for the TL is even more slanted.
Old 10-19-2004 | 08:20 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
I would say, however, that the greatest exterior blunder committed by Nissan was offering their cars in burnt orange...who in the hell likes that color anywhere...right Mark?
You talking about that Copper color? because Acura CL's came in the color, its a love it or hate it color, its opinion if you dont like it.
Old 10-19-2004 | 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

There are no comparing between TL & TSX. I think it is not fair to the TL community that we are comparing apples to oranges. TL is designed for certain groups and TSX is too.

I myself test drove both cars and hands down preferred the TL, not because it is better but because the TL fits my style. On the other hand my wife bought the TSX because to her as i qoute "it is not as complicated".

Bottom line we both love the way Acura created two different line of cars to fit everyone's taste.

I like the TL for - 270HP and luxury
My wife likes the TSX for - Simplicity and minimalist approach.
Old 10-20-2004 | 06:54 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by Raheel
You talking about that Copper color? because Acura CL's came in the color, its a love it or hate it color, its opinion if you dont like it.
Actually, I was just making a jab at MarkPinTx, as he is either a graduate of, a fan of, or both, of U. of Texas, whose colors are burnt orange and white...

...Their fight song, I might add, is "I've been workin on the railroad" with alternate lyrics.
Old 11-08-2004 | 11:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iceman2cuol4u
I think i read somewhere that the auto TL and the manual TSX have the exact same 0-60 time according to Car and Driver. I am wondering if any one else rememebers this? This is probably why you did not feel much of a difference in pick up. Gotta say though, the TL interior is very nice, but so is the TSX, but in different ways. What would make the TSX perfect for me would be: a little bit more power (not much, just a tad maybe 15-20 hp but still in i4 form), memory seats, reverse tilting side mirrors, a little less trunk room for 2 inches more rear leg room (only when i put the drivers seat all the way back to be comfortable), white lights inside (on radio and window switches etc) and offering black on black in canada!

I test drove the TL auto as well as the TSX auto and the manual versions of both as well . If I was going auto it would be for the TL. With manual i am more swayed towards the TSX because of its easier to use clutch and no torque steer and more nimble size.
Either way, good choices

Nope the TL has a 0-60 6.3 to 6.7 and a 1/4 mile in 14.7(avg)...TSX 0-60 7 to 7.5 and a 1/4 mile in 15.5(avg) the 0-60 times are what ive been seeing when i did my research so the 60 times are not the same and thats based of the TSX(6speed) vs TL(5AT)