TL vs TSX engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 01:08 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
And a belt doesn't imply an "infinite" number of teeth. If it did, you'd get an infinite gear reduction and you'd break something. To my knowledge, this only happens with toroidal CVTs (which the Audi is not), but I still don't quite understand how.
Not what I meant. I wasn't suggesting that the number of teeth had anything to do with the ratio, only that a smooth belt (like in the CVT) is the same thing (theoretically) as a toothed belt with a very large number of teeth. You were suggesting that lots of teeth = lots of inefficiency and I was just using this as an analogy.

I don't see what practical effect the number of teeth in gears has on efficiency. Besides, in an MT car the actual gears are helical, while I don't think an AT has helical gears (but I could be wrong) as I don't see how they would dynamically mesh.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by rb1
Not what I meant.....You were suggesting that lots of teeth = lots of inefficiency and I was just using this as an analogy.
Sorry, didn't catch your analogy. I was suggesting that MORE teeth = MORE inefficiency. It's not necessarily a LOT more inefficiency, but there is a difference.

....I don't see what practical effect the number of teeth in gears has on efficiency. Besides, in an MT car the actual gears are helical, while I don't think an AT has helical gears (but I could be wrong) as I don't see how they would dynamically mesh.
There's friction (fluid and sliding) when gear teeth mesh. The more teeth mesh per unit time, the more friction, and the more energy lost.

Auto gears are also helical, otherwise they'd be noisy like reverse gears.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:25 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
There's friction (fluid and sliding) when gear teeth mesh. The more teeth mesh per unit time, the more friction, and the more energy lost.

Auto gears are also helical, otherwise they'd be noisy like reverse gears.
OK. OK. Now I just want to know how many mpg the extra teeth are chewing up.

If 1% or less of the AT's 5% inefficiency contribution is the result of the gears themselves (e.g. it's 1% the gears and 4% the torque converted), then this side-topic is a rather moot point.