Is tinting worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is tinting worth it?

So I had been thinking about getting my windows tinted as soon as I bought my TSX. I've had it for about 9 months now, and I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth it. The place I checked out will do 35% for about $230.

But I think the car looks great without tints, although I realize it would probably look a little better with tints as well. The car isn't in the sun much now (underground parking), but I'll be moving to the LA area in about a month, so the car could be getting a lot more sun soon. A friend was telling me that the tints would add life to the car, by protecting the seats from sun damage. But would tinting actually protect my seats that much?

Love to hear people's thoughts on this, thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Yea, tints do a lot besides add style. During the summer they reflect the sun rays which decreases the amount of heat inside the car. The tsx has a mixture of leather and vinyl not only on the seats but all over. If you plan to keep your car and continuously will have it in direct sun w/o sum sort of protection (tints, leather care) your seats leather will crack and your vinyl might start growing air bubbles from the adhering agent releasing due to the heat. Don't forget your steering wheel is leather also and from the mixture of sunlight and you holding your steering wheel, sooner or later it will flake.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I personally like the tint and I hope it does protect the interior a little from sun damage, as I plan on keeping the car for a while and I've seen what sun can do to leather (judging from my parents' cars). Just wish I could have kept my front tint.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Race Director

heck yeah, makes your car meaner, more luxurious, and it does help preserve the interior from the sun
Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

if you are moving to an area with a lot of sun...definitely get tints. They are worth every penny. I almost can't even stand having my windows down any more during the day since the sun beam is so hot.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Have camera, will travel

It's a personal decision, but for me the answer is a resounding And get 'em dark if you get 'em.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
if you are moving to an area with a lot of sun...definitely get tints. They are worth every penny. I almost can't even stand having my windows down any more during the day since the sun beam is so hot.
I live in Washington and I've always had them. You don't have to live in sunbelt area to benefit from tinted windows.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:50 PM
The Mac

Trust me, you won't regret ever getting it. I have had them on all of my cars and I felt naked for the first week I had my TSX. Especially if you're moving to LA area, you will need tinted windows cuz the sun is brutal along the coast.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 PM
The Mac

Originally Posted by waTSX
It's a personal decision, but for me the answer is a resounding And get 'em dark if you get 'em.
Wouldn't get them as dark as you can in Cali. I believe the law is: anything in the back and no tint in the front, but you can usually get away with 35% or lighter in the front.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

sunroof?

got a question, is it oging to look bad if i only get my 7 windows tinted and not the sunroof?? DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! GETTIN MA TINT DONE TOMORROW!!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:01 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

If you think it looks out of place, you can always go back and get it done, can't you?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by aviswana2006
So I had been thinking about getting my windows tinted as soon as I bought my TSX. I've had it for about 9 months now, and I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth it. The place I checked out will do 35% for about $230.

But I think the car looks great without tints, although I realize it would probably look a little better with tints as well. The car isn't in the sun much now (underground parking), but I'll be moving to the LA area in about a month, so the car could be getting a lot more sun soon. A friend was telling me that the tints would add life to the car, by protecting the seats from sun damage. But would tinting actually protect my seats that much?

Love to hear people's thoughts on this, thanks in advance!
I was thinking about getting my windows tinted but decided not to since I would not be able to get the front windshield done. In NC they charge an extra $35.00 each year for inspection if you have extra tint- They check it and if it is not legal they fail you. I live less than 5 miles from the ocean in NC-alot of sun. My car is garaged and I have use a sun shield in the front windshield when it is parked in the sun. tints if done right look great but I have seen some lousy job-with bubbles and cracks in it. In all the years we had leather or fake leather seats sharp objects in my husbands pockets ruined the seats not the sun. I put leather conditioner on my seats once a month-excessive heat dries them out which also causes cracking.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kali_Mist
got a question, is it oging to look bad if i only get my 7 windows tinted and not the sunroof?? DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! GETTIN MA TINT DONE TOMORROW!!
The sunroof's already tinted. I'd leave it and go back if you don't like it. But I'm guessing you won't even notice it.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Cruisin'

I love my window tinting. I live in Ohio and the law is no more than 50% in the front, anything in the back (according to a family member who works at a place that does tinting, she did mine as well). I have my front 30% and back 20%. I absolutely love it for so many reasons 1) it looks great on the car, 2) it protects the leather and keeps the car cooler in the summer, and 3) it even gives you a touch of privacy

The only reason that I'm still upset at my tint, is from the ticket my fiance got while driving my car. It was $95, which isn't too bad, better than the speeding ticket. I was told to roll down my windows if I should ever be pulled over....I tried that, didn't work. And I wasn't really going to argue with him, since I knew it was over the limit.

I would say GO FOR IT and get it. You will really like it and you'll get a lot of compliments on your car with how good it looks.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:16 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the difference between tinted and not-tinted is like night and day.

the car just looks so much more sleeker and nicer. and as mentioned above, there are a lot of advantages to having tints. protect your interior from UV rays (especially if you have ebony), reduces brightness of sun at certain times, increases privacy, etc...
Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i live in florida, so tint is a must...

in the summer, with no tint and the air conditioner blasting, you still sweat from the sun

i've never been to california, but i'd say get the tint....it'll help

i have 15% on the sides, 5% on rear and front strip

gives you some privacy also...everyone can't just look into the car
Old 07-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I have 35% on sides and rear (legal limit in WA). I would have preferred 20%, but I don't want the hastle of being open to another ticket. I think it helps with the heat, also should make your car (A/C) work less to keep it cool. I also like the look, and the increased privacy inside. For ~$250, it's a great mod. I would, however, inspect the quality of the place you are thinking about having it done. I would not recommend doing it yourself.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Instructor

I have an 06 SMR and it came with out tints. I live in NC and put in 30% (legal limit) and although I would love to have darker the 30% give the car a really agressive and sleak look in my opinion with the red and the darker windows. it cost me 150 to have it done and it was well worth it just for the look regardless of the functionality.