Tinting the TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting the TSX

Does anyone know whether there's a restriction of the type of tints that can be installed on the TSX?

I was at my dealership today and and asked about tinting. The service rep started telling me about the tinting guys they use and called them for me so that I could speak to them. The guy I spoke to said that the only type of tinted film that should be put on the TSX is ceramic film, at least on the rear window. Otherwise the antenna amplifiers built into the rear glass won't work properly affecting radio reception. He quoted me $600 for the whole job. I nearly fell off the chair. Is he telling me a load of BS or is this ceramic film thing for real?

They advertise this type of film as the same used on the space shuttle. That to me sounds like pure BS, even if it truly is used on the shuttle. It's not like I'm going to be driving around above the earth's atmosphere.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:41 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I think you only have to worry about getting the ceramic flim if you have Navi, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

A couple people on here have normal tint and have had some problems with their navi/radio/xm losing its signal.

I have the Huper Optik tint and I have had no problems at all with it. Plus, it holds out the heat much better than normal film, IMO!. I got mine for $400 from the dealer so see if you can get a deal.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:57 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Since the AM/FM radio antenna is in the glass of the rear window and your putting the tint on the inside, I don't think it should really affect radio reception. Same for XM radio since antenna for it is mounted on the roof. It's only the navi that has the antenna underneath the rear deck.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Racer

A metallic tint will interfere with your XM signal. Ceramic tint is the way to go. It's more expensive, but it doesn't mess with any signals.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:14 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I have an old gen. 2 - Sirius Satellite radio antenna in the car on the rear shelf next to the 3rd brake light and I get Satellite just fine with metallic tint. XM's OE antenna is on the roof how the f*** could tint do anything to that? Even the old XM in the car antenna should work?

I just got the car tinted today, 55% front-20% rear all metallic tint. I have metallic tint on my '00 Accord as well no problems with it either.

Metallic tint ran $249 installed. (excluding tax)
Old 08-12-2005, 10:25 PM
send me a link to JDM??

My tint is mainly ceramic... if you research you can find out % of metal particles in the tint that your shop is going to use. I got it done for $189, and I have XM, and Navi... I have 0 problems with any reception.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MrChad
XM's OE antenna is on the roof how the f*** could tint do anything to that?
That what I said too. Until some explains it (which I don't think will happen) I call .
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by STL
That what I said too. Until some explains it (which I don't think will happen) I call .
I've done 6 different SAT radio installs on cars I own, the TSX being the next to the most recent, and the TSX got left over bits and pieces cobble together from prior installs. (It turned out very nice, but I didn't spend any real money to do it.)

Short from sitting on the Terk Antenna they work at getting the Satellite signal fantastically. And my antennas are small-very small and covered over by the tint for the most part, the goider on the TSX roof should be able to get signals form the mars rover, with any kind of tint on the car period.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jims
Does anyone know whether there's a restriction of the type of tints that can be installed on the TSX?

I was at my dealership today and and asked about tinting. The service rep started telling me about the tinting guys they use and called them for me so that I could speak to them. The guy I spoke to said that the only type of tinted film that should be put on the TSX is ceramic film, at least on the rear window. Otherwise the antenna amplifiers built into the rear glass won't work properly affecting radio reception. He quoted me $600 for the whole job. I nearly fell off the chair. Is he telling me a load of BS or is this ceramic film thing for real?

They advertise this type of film as the same used on the space shuttle. That to me sounds like pure BS, even if it truly is used on the shuttle. It's not like I'm going to be driving around above the earth's atmosphere.
That is BS... I don't have ceramic tint on my windows and the reception is just fine. Not sure what kind of tint it is, 35% not smoke, has some reflective look to it.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:38 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I got llumar tints for 160
eh reception sucks out here in suffolk, probably cuz the terrain, someone else mentioned they get crap reception nearby so I guess these tints are aokay.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I just got my car tinted a week ago.........Johnson's Silhouette's, regular tint, 35% all around. No problems. Price was $160.00 otd.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jims

$600 for tints It's the same stuff they put on the space shuttle, tell them the TSX ain't that fast. That guy was full of !

Thats just crazy! As long as the film is non-metallic you should be ok with reception. Metallic is normally what throws the reception off. Everyone is calling there film ceramic these days, I was under the impression that "ceramic" is the new word for "metalic" since the word metalic has a bad rep now.

$600 for tints..... him in the head next time!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:37 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I specified metallic tint, I love the stuff.

Worked great on the Accord, works great on the TSX.

I'd say it's the installer, if they don't apply the tint just right to the rear window they could harm one of the inbedded antenna leads in the rear glass, I assumed the antenna was fitted the same as the rear window defroster.

I think the wire lead is under the head liner if I read for both the RWDef. and the antenna?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrChad
I specified metallic tint, I love the stuff.

Worked great on the Accord, works great on the TSX.

I'd say it's the installer, if they don't apply the tint just right to the rear window they could harm one of the inbedded antenna leads in the rear glass, I assumed the antenna was fitted the same as the rear window defroster.

I think the wire lead is under the head liner if I read for both the RWDef. and the antenna?
Metallic tint does reject more heat than any other film, but it also interferes with reception. It doesn't realy have anything to do with the guy that lays the film. The reception loss is normaly minimal on the FM side, but it really screws up AM.