Tinting in Richmond VA

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006 | 05:34 PM
BRH
BRH

Tinting in Richmond VA

With the hot weather here, I think it's time for me to seriously consider finally getting my 06 TSX's windows tinted. I've got a bunch of questions though:

1. Can anyone recommend a tinter in the Richmond VA area?
2. I don't have NAV, but I occassionally use a Garmin portable GPS system. Will metallic tint affect it?
3. From what I understand, the door panels have to be removed/re-installed in order to tint the windows, right?. If that results in a subsequent door rattle, how does it affect any warranties at Acura?
4. What percent is the maximum allowable tint in Virginia? Any specific recommendations (legal) for a DGP (Deep Green Pearl) TSX? ( ie type of tint, color, etc)
5. If scratches eventually develop in the tint, is the tint removable or replacable?
6. What's the deal with this moleskin or felt that I'm reading about in some posts?

Lots of questions, I know. Any help that you guys can provide with any of these would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2006 | 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

3. they never took off my door panels to install the tints.
4. i believe its 35 all around.
Old 07-26-2006 | 10:14 AM

wrong, it's 50% in the front and 35% for rears
Old 07-26-2006 | 10:46 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb

Hey... I do not know that much about tint since my 06 is the first car I have ever taken in to be tinted. However a few people refered me to the AudioOne on Broad just West of Libby. I was told the quality is top notch. For instnace they cut each window individually rather than cutting one side and reversing the pattern. I found out once I arived that my good friend Logan works there, so ask for him. Maybe he will hook you up a bit if you mention your a friend of Robbie's. Mine is still drying and I plan to take it up there today for them to sqeegy some more. (They said you have to bring it back after 4 days).

2. I don't have NAV, but I occassionally use a Garmin portable GPS system. Will metallic tint affect it?
They use a metalic tint and they told me when I asked the same thing, that it will not effect the GPS system in the car. (It hasnt) However I cannot speak for the portables.

3. From what I understand, the door panels have to be removed/re-installed in order to tint the windows, right?. If that results in a subsequent door rattle, how does it affect any warranties at Acura?
To my knowledge the door panels were not removed. No sign of it. However its a simple question to ask them when you take your car up there.

4. What percent is the maximum allowable tint in Virginia? Any specific recommendations (legal) for a DGP (Deep Green Pearl) TSX? ( ie type of tint, color, etc)
I know its F-50/R-35 but I went with 35 all around. I figure that the car isnt all riced to hell, so I wont be attracting much attention. It's your risk, but for me it was worth it. Royal Blue Pearl with ebony interior gets hot!

5. If scratches eventually develop in the tint, is the tint removable or replacable?
The AudioOne that I went to has a full lifetime waranty on the tint. If anything goes wrong they said to just bring it back in and they could fix it.

6. What's the deal with this moleskin or felt that I'm reading about in some posts?
This is the first I have heard of it but after a quick search on google.com I found some answers. http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26606
Felting the seals seems to be the best option since it does not require the installer to remove the entire door panel. I am calling AudioOne right now to find out if they felted my door seals and if not I am going to ask they they do that.
Old 07-26-2006 | 10:46 AM
Guinea Pig

www.tintcenter.com
www.tintdude.com <---catalog of tinters might help.

Metal film will reduce am and fm reception since our antenna is in the back window. You can use metal film on all the doors without a problem. Find a close matching non-metal film for the back though.

To add felt or moleskin the panels need to be removed. SUPER easy to remove. If they don't break anything there shouldn't be any rattles. Wont affect warranties, but if they break something it won't be repaired under warranty.

I think Madico CH series would look and work great on that car and color. Not as much heat rejection, but enough and would look good. Johnsons "Greystone" Series would look hot as well. When choosing a film by viewing other vehicles you want to look standing from the rear side to view through the front doors to the windshield to see the "color" of the film. The % is not the color. The % is the amount of light that makes it through the film. 5%=Limo=only 5% of the light makes it through.

Yes! We charge $100 for removal and cleaning on sedans. Figure about $10 per window and about $50 just for the rear with a defroster. Prices in the industry vary from state to state.

Acura gave us super hard rubber gaskets in the doors. When we roll around looking cool dust and dirt get trapped in there. Take a look at the detailers q-tip after they run it down that track. Then when we roll the windows up and down the dirt scratches the tint. The felt helps hide it the way carpet hides it in the livin room.

My work here is done
Old 07-26-2006 | 11:02 AM
Instructor

I just called and talked to Ace at AudioOne about the defective gasket on the TSX that can cause vertical scratches in the tint. He was not familiar with the problem and said that they do not felt the seals automatically. I asked if he had ever done that in the past and he said no. He mentioned that it would be best for me to stop by the fabric store and buys some felt and then bring it in and they would rubber cement it in place if I want. He said they would charge by the hour probly to do it, since it is not a normal thing they do.

That is a bit disapointing to hear that they were not even familiar with what I am reading as a somewhat common problem according to the tintdude forums. I would deffinately ask about it first. Make sure that he is aware that it is a manufacturer defect in the hard plastic gaskets of the TSX. I wish now that I had know that before getting the tint done, because its much harder to leverage anyone once they have been paid. But like CJams said, its just dirt getting in there (which is also what the installer told me too) so keep an eye on it and clean it regularly and you should not have a problem. Not to mention, if you rarely ride with your windows down then I cant imagine there being much dirt there to clean in the first place.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2006 | 11:21 AM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by angrycamel
I asked if he had ever done that in the past and he said no. He mentioned that it would be best for me to stop by the fabric store and buys some felt and then bring it in and they would rubber cement it in place if I want. He said they would charge by the hour probly to do it, since it is not a normal thing they do.

The TSx is the first car I ever used felt on so I wont bust his chops, but DO NOT let them rubber cement felt on your gaskets! They make a product just for this use. Have him call his film supplier and ask for a roll of gasket felt. They carry it im sure. He may charge you $30-50 to add it though. That's the norm for felt or moleskin. Untill then, keep your gaskets clean and don't roll the windows up and down too much till you get it. I've got a 3rd gen TL commin in soon that has some seriously trashed tint from those damn Honda gaskets. Every roll up window has to be replaced in it. (<---FYI-I didn't tint it )
Old 07-26-2006 | 11:26 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the help CJams! Like I said before I am new to tinting and so I really appreciate the advice your giving here.

As for the installer at AudioOne, my tint looks excelent, so I don't want to have his lack of felt experience ruin his rep. My car really looks great, however I will be printing this and taking it to him today.
Old 07-28-2006 | 06:34 AM
BRH
BRH

Angrycamel.

Thanks for the tip about AudioOne. I didn't know that they did tinting. I've had some audio work done there in the past (satellite radio installation in my last car, done at the AudioOne on Midlothian Tpke) and they did a real nice, clean installation. So, I'd assume that their work quality with regard to tinting is the same.

I'll check out their store on Broad Street since it's closer to me.

Any more info that you can pass on about your follow-up visit to them regarding the felt?
Old 07-29-2006 | 02:07 AM
10th Gear

is it beside the Benz? i use to learn muay thai at Black Belt Studio beside Audio One
hahah

actualli do u guys noe how much it is at audio one?
Old 07-29-2006 | 01:10 PM
Instructor

About $250 or so.

Ace is the guy at the AudioOne on Broad St. I cannot speak for any of the guys that do tinting over at the midlothian one.

About the felt, I talked to Ace again about it and he is going to contact a vendor about getting the propper felt. He said he could install it for me if I would like. He also corrected me on the rubber cement comment I made earlier. He said that is not hwo they do it. He was just simplifying it for someone that didn't know better.