Subaru WRX vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 05:59 PM
04 remembrance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru WRX vs TSX

The WRX has about 25 more hp than the TSX and around 50 more in torque. Based on the stats and rumors, many have said the WRX will burn the TSX, however much clarity is needed. Does anybody have factual arguments or is it common sense that the WRX is faster than the TSX?

My friend recently purchased the Subaru WRX and it looks pretty sweet. What are your humble opinions on it?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Subaru WRX vs TSX

Originally posted by iamhomin
The WRX has about 25 more hp than the TSX and around 50 more in torque. Based on the stats and rumors, many have said the WRX will burn the TSX, however much clarity is needed. Does anybody have factual arguments or is it common sense that the WRX is faster than the TSX?

My friend recently purchased the Subaru WRX and it looks pretty sweet. What are your humble opinions on it?
Yes the WRX is much faster than the TSX. Wouldnt even be close.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If sheer flat-out speed is what you want, the WRX will definitely beat the TSX. Not even close, in fact. The TSX, however, is the more refined and comfortable car. It also has a much nicer interior with higer quality materials. Two different vehicles, really.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Audi Driving Snob

apples and oranges as people are saying. A wrx will run a tsx off the line any day of the week though a highway sprint might be a little closer. The WRX should also out handle the tsx. The ride will not be as nice though. It is far less refined...no real luxury aspects to it that the TSX is full of. In fact does anyone know if you can even get leather in the wrx?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:17 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The new redesigned legacy will be more of a comparison for the TSX.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

what a lot of people seem to missunderstand with reguards to HP numbers is they really dont mean much. torque is really the key factor. the TSX and WRX differ by only 27 hp they are simalar in weight and for all practical purposes you could say with the WRX having AWD (WRX at a disadvantage having more drivetrain loss) the proformance should be similar with respect to their HP numbers.
but where you miss the obvious the Subaru has somthing like over 200 lbs of TQ and the TSX has only 166 that makes a big difference.
hp numbers can only be calculated based off of torque. you really cant measure HP it is calculated. the formula is HP= torque x RPM divided by 5252
im not sure exactly why 5252 is the dividing line but you will usually never see a torque number rated above 5252 and a hp rated lower than 5252. now diesel engines are a different story they have hp ratings below 5252 because most have a redline of 3,000 RPM truck drivers never talk about HP they always talk about torque.
if you look at a torque curve of a TSX you can clearly see why the TSX feels like its lacking on top end power, it's BECAUSE it actually looses torque in the top end.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Audi Driving Snob

You need to consider both torque and horsepoer and what rpms they occur at(torque curves) plus gearing of the car to get a picture of performance. Any of those variables by themselves don't tell you the whole thing.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with TinySD. My last car, an Accord, has nearly as much torque as the TSX, and it weighed less. Yet, it was nowhere near as quick off the line. The VTEC engine was very peaky, and you didn't have much torque until high RPM. With the K24, you have a much flatter torque curve.

Torque, HP, and the shape of the curve are all important issues.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Bound for Europe

I was 95% sure of a WRX purchase before I laid my eyes on the ebony TSX interior. In comparison, the WRX interior seemed cheap and run-of-the-mill. I also read that the audio system was shyte as well.
As far as looks go, I think the WRX looks cool in that tough rally car sort of vein. No HIDs though
The dinky 16" wheels are quite lame IMO and would have needed upgrading immediately.
I was then put off turbos by a couple of mechanic buddies of mine. Thank god they did!

The WRX is faster and handles better than the TSX. No argument there. For me, that's not what it's all about. I absolutely fookin love the cockpit of my TSX. I often glance about the dash while I'm driving(especially at night) and a smile still comes to my face.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by Soze75
I often glance about the dash while I'm driving(especially at night) and a smile still comes to my face.
That... sold me 1/2 of the car during my test drive...
Old 09-12-2003, 10:09 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

It's funny that this topic was just brought up. I tried loosing a WRX in the traffic. In the end, he lost me quite easilly... I was no match. On the other end, I would probably catch him back later since he would need to fill up more quickly than I do... WRX are gas guzzlers...

WRX is a great little performance car. It's a good purchase if you can stand the very cheap interior and ugly shape.

Just my 2 cents

Luc
Old 09-12-2003, 11:40 PM
04 remembrance

Interesting, thanks for the replies.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Banned

The day I buy a Suburu is the day the universe implodes.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

This is kind of funny actually...my wife owns a rally blue WRX and I own an ebony TSX. I love mine and she loves her's. Yes, the WRX is more powerful, I do notice that the TSX is always there for you with its torque though, no matter what the RPM, the WRX has a little less get up and go below 3000rpm. The TSX destroys the WRX with comfort and interior. I find the TSX to have adequate power and handles perfectly. I still have yet to race her…she’s a little scared of the 50 and getting into an accident, but I think I’d give her a run for the money for at least a little while If you have any more questions to compare with....I think I have a pretty good perspective for this one. Oh yeah...no leather in WRX and the sound systems are about equal...none of that damn vibration speaker noise in the WRX though.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Advanced

HAHAHA! The WRX will kill the TSX in any aspect of performance. I would not even bother comparing the two cars.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I wouldn't sell your TSX short....I drive them both on a regular basis and I still love my TSX
Old 09-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Yui
Pro

Interesting that your wife prefers the less refined ride SSN_FT2(SS/DV) =P
Old 09-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by TinkySD
apples and oranges as people are saying.
This says it all.
And I do notice the WRX is getting "riced" out nowadays as the average owner's age is dropping significantly.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by lgregoir
It's funny that this topic was just brought up. I tried loosing a WRX in the traffic. In the end, he lost me quite easilly... I was no match. On the other end, I would probably catch him back later since he would need to fill up more quickly than I do... WRX are gas guzzlers...

WRX is a great little performance car. It's a good purchase if you can stand the very cheap interior and ugly shape.

Just my 2 cents

Luc
Couldn't have said it any better..a good friend of mine has a WRX (a "wrecks" ) and even before he modified the hell out of it for racing, it could take my V-6 Accord out in a heartbeat, but then again there was no comparing the appointments and the body style. I would NEVER spend that much on a car with out so much as leather interior..I don't care how fast it goes. Most of us here in the real world have to live part of our day out in these cars, commute, etc...an everyday car should have a good balance of speed, power, AND luxury creature-comforts.. The WRX is for purely speed-minded.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

I have an Impreza WRX and there is no question that performance-wise, it's above the TSX. Like someone else said, though, it's a gas-guzzler. Then again, you could drive it more economically, but where's the fun in that?

There is a HP difference, but you have to keep in mind that it's an AWD system.

Mine is stock and there's not much I would change about it, but I might be trading it in for an STi. Goodness, that car is sweet.

I end up driving my TSX, though, more often simply because it's more comfortable.

Out on a Sunday drive in the back country roads, though, the WRX is a beast. You just have to keep up the RPMs like someone said, above 3k RPMs, let the turbo spool up and you're pushed nicely into the seats.

I probably will end up keeping the TSX in the garage for most of the winter and let the WRX take on the snow, salt and potholes Indy will have to offer.

Naptown out.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:33 AM
04 remembrance

Originally posted by MSB128
Naptown reporting....

I have an Impreza WRX and there is no question that performance-wise, it's above the TSX. Like someone else said, though, it's a gas-guzzler. Then again, you could drive it more economically, but where's the fun in that?

There is a HP difference, but you have to keep in mind that it's an AWD system.

Mine is stock and there's not much I would change about it, but I might be trading it in for an STi. Goodness, that car is sweet.

I end up driving my TSX, though, more often simply because it's more comfortable.

Out on a Sunday drive in the back country roads, though, the WRX is a beast. You just have to keep up the RPMs like someone said, above 3k RPMs, let the turbo spool up and you're pushed nicely into the seats.

I probably will end up keeping the TSX in the garage for most of the winter and let the WRX take on the snow, salt and potholes Indy will have to offer.

Naptown out.

the wrx sti is definitely a hot car
Old 09-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I agree with you there!!! Looks alot sweeter that the EVO too...
Old 09-15-2003, 08:52 AM

my bro has a wrx and i've driven it a few times. as already noted by many ppl, it definitely beats the tsx in both acceleration speed and handling. but the tsx dominates in comfort and convience. depending on what is more important to you i'm sure you enjoy either of these cars
Old 09-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Instructor

what a lot of people seem to missunderstand with reguards to HP numbers is they really dont mean much. torque is really the key factor.

Then how how does a 160HP Civic Si with its 111 ft-lb of torque out-accelerate a 90HP Golf TDI with its 155 ft-lb of torque to 60mph by 5 seconds?

the TSX and WRX differ by only 27 hp they are simalar in weight and for all practical purposes you could say with the WRX having AWD (WRX at a disadvantage having more drivetrain loss) the proformance should be similar with respect to their HP numbers.

The WRX is about 150 pounds lighter at 3085. Add on 27 more HP, and a flatter HP curve due to the mid-end heavy nature of a turbocharged engine, it is obvious why the WRX is about 1.5 seconds faster to 60mph than the TSX.

but where you miss the obvious the Subaru has somthing like over 200 lbs of TQ and the TSX has only 166 that makes a big difference.

Crank torque is meaningless by itself. It is no the force that accelerates the car (wheel torque does that), it is not an indication of anything. The only thing it is useful for is converting into crank HP figures.

hp numbers can only be calculated based off of torque. you really cant measure HP it is calculated. the formula is HP= torque x RPM divided by 5252
im not sure exactly why 5252 is the dividing line but you will usually never see a torque number rated above 5252 and a hp rated lower than 5252.

It is divided by 5252 because that's what the constants and conversion factors are equivalent to. The constant 5252 has *NO* relation whatsoever with peak torque and HP RPMs. Because of the way most modern gasoline engines are designed, torque peaks at a fairly low RPM and is not downward sloping enough to generate peak HP at low RPM. Honda DOHC VTEC engines are not "most engines", which is why you see so many of them with high peak torque RPMs.

now diesel engines are a different story they have hp ratings below 5252 because most have a redline of 3,000 RPM truck drivers never talk about HP they always talk about torque.

That's because trucks needs an engine with lots of low end torque so it can get moving and climb up hills *SLOWLY*.

if you look at a torque curve of a TSX you can clearly see why the TSX feels like its lacking on top end power, it's BECAUSE it actually looses torque in the top end.

And the WRX doesn't? Show me a car that doesn't start loosing torque as RPM gets near red-line.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by iamhomin
the wrx sti is definitely a hot car
Yep... Really hot one without audio and rear seats won't fold down in order to maintain structural rigidity, yada yada yada.

I ordered an STI back in April and was only couple of weeks away from delivery but decided to cancel after I saw the overall package in person. No doubt, it's a great all out performance rally beast similar to the Evo8 but lacks the day to day practicality, amenities and comfort I seek for in a car. I would love to have one when I can afford a second car as my weekend warrior!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:46 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

apples vs. oranges
Old 09-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by LeeLee
what a lot of people seem to missunderstand with reguards to HP numbers is they really dont mean much. torque is really the key factor.

Then how how does a 160HP Civic Si with its 111 ft-lb of torque out-accelerate a 90HP Golf TDI with its 155 ft-lb of torque to 60mph by 5 seconds?

the TSX and WRX differ by only 27 hp they are simalar in weight and for all practical purposes you could say with the WRX having AWD (WRX at a disadvantage having more drivetrain loss) the proformance should be similar with respect to their HP numbers.

The WRX is about 150 pounds lighter at 3085. Add on 27 more HP, and a flatter HP curve due to the mid-end heavy nature of a turbocharged engine, it is obvious why the WRX is about 1.5 seconds faster to 60mph than the TSX.

Crank torque is meaningless by itself. It is no the force that accelerates the car (wheel torque does that), it is not an indication of anything. The only thing it is useful for is converting into crank HP figures.

im not sure exactly why 5252 is the dividing line but you will usually never see a torque number rated above 5252 and a hp rated lower than 5252.

It is divided by 5252 because that's what the constants and conversion factors are equivalent to. The constant 5252 has *NO* relation whatsoever with peak torque and HP RPMs. Because of the way most modern gasoline engines are designed, torque peaks at a fairly low RPM and is not downward sloping enough to generate peak HP at low RPM. Honda DOHC VTEC engines are not "most engines", which is why you see so many of them with high peak torque RPMs.

now diesel engines are a different story they have hp ratings below 5252 because most have a redline of 3,000 RPM truck drivers never talk about HP they always talk about torque.

That's because trucks needs an engine with lots of low end torque so it can get moving and climb up hills *SLOWLY*.

And the WRX doesn't? Show me a car that doesn't start loosing torque as RPM gets near red-line.
maybe i should have been less wordy, all i really wanted to say is that HP is calculated from the torque and RPM. depending on where your torque peak is and at what RPM will determin the HP rating. if the TSX would hold its torque a little closer to the redline the HP numbers would be higher and cut 0-60 times. im not saying HP doesnt matter just that it can be missleading. the WRX is notably faster not because it has 27 more HP but because it has so much more torque. and yes it does fall off towards the top end but it has a lot more to begin with than the TSX.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:08 AM

Have you read any auto magazines in the past 2 years? The WRX is a sub 6 second car stock (when they drop the clutch at high revs), a mid 6 sec car from a roll, and the STi is a high 4 second car. The WRX is a sports car. The TSX ownsz it from a ride, feature and luxury look standpoint.

The Legacy will be a 35k car, it is TL competition not TSX.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Banned

the WRX is a butter face. her body is awesome... butter face is fucked up.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by Crazytree
the WRX is a butter face. her body is awesome... butter face is fucked up.
Are you talking about the bug eye or 04 model?
The 04 model ain't that bad...
Old 09-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
maybe i should have been less wordy, all i really wanted to say is that HP is calculated from the torque and RPM. depending on where your torque peak is and at what RPM will determin the HP rating. if the TSX would hold its torque a little closer to the redline the HP numbers would be higher and cut 0-60 times. im not saying HP doesnt matter just that it can be missleading. the WRX is notably faster not because it has 27 more HP but because it has so much more torque. and yes it does fall off towards the top end but it has a lot more to begin with than the TSX.
But you can also say that Torque is calculated from HP and RPM. The three are related by the same equation and you can always put one in terms of the other two. It is practically easier to measure torque and RPM and calculate HP from the two, so that's what dynomometers do, but it is inaccurate to imply that HP is somehow a derivative of torque and RPM. The three are measurable quantities that are related by a common equation - that's about all you can say.

Granted, you can not draw absolute conclusions when given two car's peak HP numbers, but in terms of importance, crank HP is far more useful than crank torque. Give me the peak crank HP and vehicle weight and I can give you a rough estimate of the vehicle's performance. With peak crank torque and vehicle weight, there is absolutely no prediction that can be made. In this regard, HP *can* be misleading, but crank torque is *always* misleading.

The WRX is indeed faster than the TSX because of HP and HP only - crank torque is not a factor that warrants consideration. The WRX would be faster than the TSX if it had the same 227HP but only 150 ft-lb of torque. Granted it's not just the 27 more peak HP, but rather the area under the WRX's HP curve is larger than the area under the TSX's HP curve. This means the WRX's engine will generate more wheel torque at most vehicle speeds than the TSX and thus accelerate the WRX faster than the TSX.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:28 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by AdamC
That... sold me 1/2 of the car during my test drive...
That was the first thing that really attracted me to the car. I was looking at an 03TL-S, but didn't like the interior, peeked at the RL just for fun and really liked the HUD, then my gf was over looking at this "small-ish" thing over in the corner. "Hey, you really need to come over and look at this one!" Looked about the same size as the integra, so I was thinking "yeah ok, lets look at another and kill some time while the finance crooks come back with their 'deal'", then ended up loving it.

-r
Old 07-28-2007, 09:02 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

Yeah I'm bringing this back from the dead, and I know I have a lot of fans here (remember the cheap plastic dash thread?)

Anyway, I'm looking to hopefully buy a new car today - two absolutely different cars, the WRX and TSX (assuming I can get a deal on an '08)..does everyone still agree that the WRX outhandles the TSX stock to stock?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by CiViCKiDD
Yeah I'm bringing this back from the dead, and I know I have a lot of fans here (remember the cheap plastic dash thread?)

Anyway, I'm looking to hopefully buy a new car today - two absolutely different cars, the WRX and TSX (assuming I can get a deal on an '08)..does everyone still agree that the WRX outhandles the TSX stock to stock?

AWD, and FWD. While I have the TSX now, and had a WRX before hand, I'd say I was much more happier with the WRX. It's an all out performance vehicle. That being said, I love the TSX more because it's still great at handling, and gives me the comfort I need.

Also, if you haven't noticed, the 2008 Impreza is completely redesigned and I've never driven the 2008 model. Also, it's really god damn ugly.

Oh look, a woman's driving the hatchback

Another thing to look at, (if you don't plan on buying the ugly 2008 model, is the transmission. WRX's are known for their glass-like transmissions (had a few friends go through 2-3 trannies, until they switched out to PPG Straightcut Gears. You might want to avoid that, and just get a STi. The STi has a stronger transmission. As for 2008, like I said, I have no clue what the specs, or whatever new is on that car. I'm going to go testdrive one on Tuesday, but I know I won't be satisfied with it's appearance and interior. Fuji Heavy Industries sunk the ship on this one.

So Mr. TSX has a cheap dash, it's your choice. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Civickidd, if you want some real advice, I would hold out for the Lancer RalliArt. Yes, a WRX may outhandle a TSX, but I personally didn't like the feel. The TSX can be described as being nimble and responsive handler, and it definitely has a great chassis. Its a better handler to me, but its subjective, like your dash comparison. But when it comes down to it, even if the WRX could outhandle an F1 car it will always look like ASS.

As for the Lancer RalliArt, I think its a 220 HP model. Its not the Evo, but its definitely not the base Lancer. It looks much better than the new Impreza IMO. Price is supposed to be in the low 20's, so its a pretty good bargain new. Double check this stuff I told you, cuz I'm just quoting from my limited memory.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
^

Mitsubishi hit the jackpot with the new lancer.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Geez-- lot of WRX bashing around here for two cars that aren't really even competitors! My guy has an '05 WRX and I just got an '07 TSX-- like it's been said-- apples and oranges. Though I don't find the WRX uncomfortable for long trips (or ugly), it's a completely different type of car from the TSX. The WRX is rally bred, it really *shouldn't* be a more luxurious car. It's the people wanting cushier rides that has led to what seems to be the '08 monstrocity. Stereo is certainly better in the TSX, but w/ the Subwoofer added to the WRX, it's not too bad. Handling.... really depends on your preference-- take 'em both on the same curvy road and punch it around some corners and see which is your preference.

Stock for stock, one thing really bad on the WRX is those Potenzas.... man, though they're great for snow, you take 'em autocrossing and you just slide everywhere... (does Acura void warranties if you autocross? not that I've done it yet... it's still in its break-in period anyway ).

Anyway-- I just always considered us to have the best of both worlds w/ our two cars-- neither of us will feel put out if we have to switch cars for the day.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:36 PM
07 NHBP

WRX is friggin ugly and every punk kid has one and thinks he's invinsible. Yea rally cars!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

TSX is no competition for a WRX when it comes to performance and handling. Like everone has said "apples to oranges." My g/f has a 05 WRX, which I get to drive all the time, I must say that her car is pretty impressive. I wish I had that kind of power in my TSX. The ride quality in the WRX is really good, and the handling is superb. I actually prefere her car on rough roads than mine, maybe this is because I have a lower profile tire than she does.
The only two disadvantages I think her car has is 1. no leather, and 2. the dash, it could really use a make over.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Banned

What I wonder is this; does the WRX feel more powerful around town starting from a random green light, or do you have to rev the WRX like a race car to apreciate it's power?

To be honest I prefer the car to feel powerful most of the time, not just when you have open road ahead of you and no police in sight. I'd still get a TSX for numerous other reasons but still I'm curious.

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX vs TSX