Stopped by Cops

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004 | 01:26 AM
Master in Science

Exclamation Stopped by Cops

I just had the time of my life! I got stopped by a police officer from my own department! I just wanted to break out and laugh... he acted the whole time like he didn't know me.

So, why did he stop me?

He approached an intersection and stopped. I approached and stopped. He drove by looking at the car, which was on a lower level than him, and the HIDs fell smack on his face. He drove on, on to the side (ready to make a u-turn), but I turned into the street right behind him. So he drove down the road a block, moved to the side, let me pass, and immediately stopped me. I was like, "What the hell? I'm the only guy in SLO with a black TSX. He knows my car. Why did he stop me?"

He comes up and points to the lights and says they are the brightest he's ever seen and they are not what came with the car. I was like, "yes they are". For like 3 minutes he goes on and on how they are not stock. I told him they are HIDs (which he replied he knows them), they have a nice cut off (which he says is not evident), that they don't bug people (which he then started to question how many people had flashed their high beams at me: I said "one" -- that I can remember -- Honestly!), then he wanted me to turn my high beams on for comparison. He wasn't impressed.

He gave me a look like (these lights don't look stock to me) and walked away. I had a huge smirk on my face by then because I was so RIGHT and he was so WRONG.

I should add he's much older than me. Probably 50s or 60s.

Next month, when I get back to work (I'm on leave), I'll see if I can find an excuse to cite him too. This could get complicated... he carries a gun, I don't.

//

Anyone have similar experiences? That is, being way right when a cop is way wrong? And he or she gives up and walks away?
Old 03-17-2004 | 01:56 AM
Pinky all stinky

Sounds like you two were flirting.
Old 03-17-2004 | 02:03 AM
TSX is my Police Car

I think the worse one i had was when i just got the car, drove to the department to check my inbox (was on vacation for a week). I left the PD and was heading to my girlfriends when i get pulled over. I wasn't more then 100 yrds and made a right turn when the lights came on. So i pull over, and it's about 7pm. The officer walks up to the window. I ask "what did i do officer?" His response was, "you took that turn pretty fast, whats the hurry?"

By this time, i could tell he was a newbie, probably fresh out of the academy, but he didn't regonize me. I looked in my side view and noticed another officer (his FTO), so that only strengthed my thought....so i played with him a bit. I told him i was in a hurry so i could get ot my girlfriends house because we had to skip toen because i was wanted for drug smuggling. The cop literaly dropped his jaw. Then i ask him if "enter name here" or "enter name here" (not giving any names) was his FTO. The FTO then spoke up and started laughing. I think it was about that time the newbie new i was an officer with HIS department. I got out of the car and we talked about the car, my trip, etc. It was actually kinda funny because we still give him crap to this day about it.
Old 03-17-2004 | 07:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

I had a cruiser give me the high beams while driving the other way with my S2000... so i tapped the highbeams (to let the other car know that i didn't have my highbeams on) on my car and then as he drove by i realized he was a cop. i'm like, he is going to pull me over but he didn't.
Old 03-17-2004 | 08:30 AM

good thing he was performing his duties...instead of fighting crime...yay tax dollars!
Old 03-17-2004 | 06:14 PM
Instructor

Crime doesnt pay whereas tickets do

I've experienced a most interesting observation, and that is the reaction of law enforcement to my two very different vehicles in which I drive. I drive , a Jeep Cherokee, for inclement weather driving and the TSX for fair weather driving.
It's very interesting observing and contrasting the behavior of law enforcement officers reaction upon encountering either vehicle, I drive the same route to and from work every day and I adhere to the speed limit at all times.
The Jeep, dark green, is almost transparent, its radar detector seldomly is triggered...whereas in the silver TSX, the V1 screams whenever encountering police in the TSX, even though I am travelling at most 32mph in a 30 mph zone. I had an officer nail me with radar the other day and the very next day he had hidden himself at the bottom of a hill along my route (to NewHampshire) as if he was waiting to nail me.
Fortunately I picked him up even though I wasn't speeding ahead of time and made sure to adjust my speed down to ....the 25mph limit and he ends up pulling over the Volvo behind me.

At least you two have encountered what I have experienced when it comes to police and nice cars. Fortunately for you, you can laugh it, off but for us whom don't carry a badge, it can be a stressful and sometimes expensive encounter.

I honestly don't aspire to break the law, I don't speed or race on public roads, running over peoples children. I am merely a law abiding tax paying citizen only trying to make a living which requires my driving to and from my place of work.
It's very apparent to me that crime does not pay, but speeding tickets do....to the .... local municipality.
Old 03-17-2004 | 06:33 PM
I am Ahab!

So he didn't give you a ticket in the end?

The worst I've read about was someone getting a ticket for his stock del sol exhaust
Old 03-17-2004 | 06:49 PM
Banned

second day I had my car I had a LA County Sheriff follow me for like 2 miles. parked at the gym and he just went straight... guess he was like WTF kind of car is that? it's funny that Sheriffs out here are all car nuts... whenever I see them at the baliff's desk or in the 7-11... they're all reading the photo buys.
Old 03-17-2004 | 06:51 PM
TSX is my Police Car

We like to know whats out there, there capabilities, and how to beat them if need be
Old 03-17-2004 | 09:30 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by tony4311
So he didn't give you a ticket in the end?
No ticket. He just walked away.

Turns out there was another officer with him, who stayed back on the right side of the cruiser... I think he was the main reason I got stopped.

One night, right after I left work (months ago), I noticed this guy getting into his car -- which is parked perpendicular to mine. I'm like, who is that? And I press the PANIC button on the remote to scare him off. I swear, the guy jumped up 2 feet in the air. The alarm really startled him as he was right next to the horn of my TSX. Well, that guy was the second police officer I saw. Maybe he was getting back at me...
Old 03-17-2004 | 10:20 PM
I am Ahab!

lol I can see that happening.
Old 03-18-2004 | 03:58 AM
10th Gear

i'm pretty sure this is a repost... but..

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=63728
Old 03-18-2004 | 05:13 AM
Intermediate

lol nice one man... nice to see your tsx all beautiful again...
Old 03-18-2004 | 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Re: Crime doesnt pay whereas tickets do

Originally posted by toddstuh
... and I adhere to the speed limit at all times.
The Jeep, dark green, is almost transparent, its radar detector seldomly is triggered...whereas in the silver TSX, the V1 screams whenever encountering police in the TSX...

...I don't speed or race on public roads...
If you "adhere to the speed limit at all times," why do you need a radar detector?
Old 03-18-2004 | 12:19 PM
Instructor

Situational Awareness....

I generally use the detector for SA or situational awareness for
One doesn't have to consciously speed to violate the speed limit.
Especially with today's cars being so quiet, it's very easy to drive +10mph over the limit and not even realize it. until it's too late.

When I've been overseas driving in Germany you become accustomed to the scenery passing at a much higher rate. It always requires a week or so to get my subconscious speedometer recalibrated to the limits imposed here in the states.
In Germany I drive to work everyday on the autobahn at approximately 100mph+ depending on the traffic. (On the weekends when there is less traffic I commonly drive 140-150mph. With the Porsches, easily 160+. And by the way, i'm still getting passed like I'm standing still by M3's, 540is, MB S class and 911s !
Upon returning to the US I have sometimes found myself driving 85-90mph on the highway before even realizing it because it seems so comparatively slow !

On the backroads here in new england we have very hilly terrain and guess where the law waits for you ?? Yes, at the base of a hill and around the blind curve. 42 in a 30 will get you $80.
Out of physics and the conservation of energy, I will sometimes allow my car to slightly exceed the speed limit (5-10mph) when descending a hill. It's just a matter of principle for I would rather maintain as much of my cars energy vs dissipating/wasting it as heat via my brakes as possible.

Unless I drove with the cruise control set at 30mph which isn't really feasible or worse yet 25 mph, it's often times too much of a brain drain to maintain that low of a speed constantly when driving on hilly terrain.

I will have to say that most of the law enforcement are pretty flexible in their limits. They generally won't hassle you unless you're driving like an idiot....generally. But as the law officers here can attest, the TSX tend to attract ...everyone. Even the law, but they're only people too.

I use the radar detector to keep me aware of my surroundings under those circumstances, preventing me from being pulled over and scrutinized as well as to maintain my clean driving record.
Knock on wood, so far so good.
Old 03-18-2004 | 02:58 PM
Team Owner

Re: Situational Awareness....

with today's cars being so quiet, it's very easy to drive +10mph over the limit and not even realize it.
You got that right. The TSX is easily the quietest and smoothest car I've ever owned and its sooooooo easy to speed without realizing it. Last month I took my parents to Laughiln, NV. Usually my mother will sense that the car is going too fast and will lean over and look at the speedo (and then "you're going too fast") but in the TSX I (intentionally) got it up to 95mph on one stretch and she didn't even look up from her book.
Old 03-18-2004 | 07:10 PM
I am Ahab!

many times after a ...."spirited" take off I'll ask the passenger if they realized we were going 80+ and they don't believe it until I do it again
Old 03-19-2004 | 09:41 PM
Intermediate

Re: Situational Awareness....

I generally use the detector for SA or situational awareness for
One doesn't have to consciously speed to violate the speed limit.
Especially with today's cars being so quiet, it's very easy to drive +10mph over the limit and not even realize it. until it's too late.

When I've been overseas driving in Germany you become accustomed to the scenery passing at a much higher rate. It always requires a week or so to get my subconscious speedometer recalibrated to the limits imposed here in the states.
In Germany I drive to work everyday on the autobahn at approximately 100mph+ depending on the traffic. (On the weekends when there is less traffic I commonly drive 140-150mph. With the Porsches, easily 160+. And by the way, i'm still getting passed like I'm standing still by M3's, 540is, MB S class and 911s !
Upon returning to the US I have sometimes found myself driving 85-90mph on the highway before even realizing it because it seems so comparatively slow !

On the backroads here in new england we have very hilly terrain and guess where the law waits for you ?? Yes, at the base of a hill and around the blind curve. 42 in a 30 will get you $80.
Out of physics and the conservation of energy, I will sometimes allow my car to slightly exceed the speed limit (5-10mph) when descending a hill. It's just a matter of principle for I would rather maintain as much of my cars energy vs dissipating/wasting it as heat via my brakes as possible.

Unless I drove with the cruise control set at 30mph which isn't really feasible or worse yet 25 mph, it's often times too much of a brain drain to maintain that low of a speed constantly when driving on hilly terrain.

I will have to say that most of the law enforcement are pretty flexible in their limits. They generally won't hassle you unless you're driving like an idiot....generally. But as the law officers here can attest, the TSX tend to attract ...everyone. Even the law, but they're only people too.

I use the radar detector to keep me aware of my surroundings under those circumstances, preventing me from being pulled over and scrutinized as well as to maintain my clean driving record.
Knock on wood, so far so good.
I guess you don't "adhere to the speed limit at all times" then, huh? That all sounds like a very long way of saying, "Okay, I lied about that part."

No problem, though. I don't adhere to the speed limits either.