starter went kablooy - not covered?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:02 PM
Intermediate

starter went kablooy - not covered?!?!

Now this seems a bit odd but it has a good ending.

Our 2004 TSX (bought certified used in January) left my wife and kids stranded the other day. It wouldn't start. So we had it towed to the dealer.

Dealer says the next day - its the starter - but its not covered under the cert used warranty. HUH! So I speak with the service manager and expressed my surprise and real disappointment that its not covered and he says - "Let me see if I can do something." He calls me back and says - "We'll cover it" 2 days later (no starters in their shop so he had to barter one from another dealer) I get the car back.

NO CHARGE!

I am very grateful to Acura of Concord (Hendricks) and to the sales manager for picking up this $700 repair. The service was above and beyond.

...but... don't cha think that a starter should be covered under the cert used warranty!?!?
Old 08-30-2007 | 03:12 PM
Drifting

I agree, if it's Acura certified used, the warranty would be extended, and thus the starter covered. But glad to hear it turned out well.
Old 08-31-2007 | 11:02 AM
Cruisin'

GREAT! First the center console, next two blown tires, then the AC explodes, and now there may be a starter issue!?!?!

I'm unloading mine as soon as I get it back from the dealer..........
Old 08-31-2007 | 11:13 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Originally Posted by xchimp
GREAT! First the center console, next two blown tires, then the AC explodes, and now there may be a starter issue!?!?!

Go buy an American or German vehicle and report back to us in a year.

Old 08-31-2007 | 12:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by xchimp

Starter issue? On a sample size of 1 it's not even a blip on the statistics radar. If you're going discount every model of car that any single owner has had any sort of problem with, you're going to end up on a Huffy. But then I'm sure a few of those have had problems as well.
Old 08-31-2007 | 01:23 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by brandt
Now this seems a bit odd but it has a good ending.

Our 2004 TSX (bought certified used in January) left my wife and kids stranded the other day. It wouldn't start. So we had it towed to the dealer.

Dealer says the next day - its the starter - but its not covered under the cert used warranty. HUH! So I speak with the service manager and expressed my surprise and real disappointment that its not covered and he says - "Let me see if I can do something." He calls me back and says - "We'll cover it" 2 days later (no starters in their shop so he had to barter one from another dealer) I get the car back.

NO CHARGE!

I am very grateful to Acura of Concord (Hendricks) and to the sales manager for picking up this $700 repair. The service was above and beyond.

...but... don't cha think that a starter should be covered under the cert used warranty!?!?
when you bought this car did they give you paperwork that let's you know axactly what the CPO covers and how long. I would think they would but since i never owned one I do not know. It is good to know you have an excellant dealer- I also have one. the service manager Rex is extremely helpful and goes above and beyond. (lehigh valley acura, emmaus, Pa)
Old 08-31-2007 | 01:39 PM
Intermediate

Yes, the CPO paper work uses the word limited through out but I really should review it again more carefully. The service manager was really very surprised when he called for authorization and the starter was NOT covered. All the other big stuff is covered but why not the starter.

As to the statistical sampling - I called around to my independent repair guy and another dealer in the area and all of them said that they have NEVER seen a TSX come in for a starter replacement. In fact, only one dealer in the area even had one in stock. I think mine was just a fluke.

I've owned a lot of German cars and I must say that this TSX is a great little car. Compared to all the German stuff I've owned this car is very well built and the dealer goes a long way to make you happy.

This car is our commuter and run about and I sure hope it stays reliable because we really like it.

I don't visit here all that often.

Has there been any other folks with starter issues?
Old 08-31-2007 | 02:19 PM
Instructor

What was the extent of the CPO warranty? Alot of them are like 7 years/ 100k miles. An 04 isn't 7 years old, and I'd be surprised if it had 100k (though if it did, I'd say the starter had lived it "normal life expectancy".) I would think if the starter is covered under the new car warranty then it should also be covered under any extended CPO warranty. Although that's just my opinion, never studied the details of any CPO warranty before.
My dealer (Hubler Acura-Indianapolis) has given very good service so far ('04 with 49k) though I have had no major problems (aside from the recalls, only a few of the instrument lights needing replacement and the warped rotor thing at 20k, all fixed for $0.)
Old 08-31-2007 | 03:55 PM
Intermediate

Normal CPO warranty - 7years/100k miles. My car has 70K on the clock and its only 4 years into its 'in service' date - but and here's the big BUT - the starter isn't covered under the CPO warranty. That's what shocked me and really surprsed the service manager. I've taken it in for the dash lights/audio head unit replacment and front headlights recall but nothing else. Except for this starter thing.
Old 08-31-2007 | 10:32 PM
Sweet!

Acura of Concord...as in Concord, CA? That's where I bought my car.