Spots on Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spots on Windows?

Just curious. What are those discreet circular spots or patterns that are on the side windows. The front two windows appear to have a pattern of circular spots and the rear windows appear to have banded lines. These are very discreet to see and my wife pointed them out to me. Basically we had to open the doors partially and look at the window as if you were about to enter the car in order to see them. You cannot see them directly looking at the window from either inside or outside but you can see them at the right angle and lighting. Is this something you see on all new cars?
Old 08-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Spots on Windows?

Originally posted by fcajulis
Just curious. What are those discreet circular spots or patterns that are on the side windows. The front two windows appear to have a pattern of circular spots and the rear windows appear to have banded lines. These are very discreet to see and my wife pointed them out to me. Basically we had to open the doors partially and look at the window as if you were about to enter the car in order to see them. You cannot see them directly looking at the window from either inside or outside but you can see them at the right angle and lighting. Is this something you see on all new cars?
I just noticed the same thing today. I went out for some fresh air at my fantasy football draft, and was looking at my car, and went hmmm what the hell are those.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Bound for Europe

I got em too.
I thought I'd used the wrong glass cleaner or something
Old 08-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Instructor

I believe it has to do with the way that safety glass is manufactured. From How Stuff Works -- How does safety glass work? :

You can easily spot tempered safety glass in an automobile rear windows on a sunny day if you are wearing polarized sunglasses. Tilt your head 90 degrees or so and you will see a symmetrical pattern in the glass created during its tempering process.

So you could try wearing polarized sunglasses and see if the spots are even more pronounced.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Originally posted by shaf
I believe it has to do with the way that safety glass is manufactured. From How Stuff Works -- How does safety glass work? :

You can easily spot tempered safety glass in an automobile rear windows on a sunny day if you are wearing polarized sunglasses. Tilt your head 90 degrees or so and you will see a symmetrical pattern in the glass created during its tempering process.

So you could try wearing polarized sunglasses and see if the spots are even more pronounced.
My Maui Jims show them as clear as day. My backup pair of sunglasses, Gargoyles, don't show them at all. It all depends on which way the polarization is done in the lens and glass. If they are perpendicular, you will get almost pure black in some cases. Same alignment, you won't see a thing out of the ordinary.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:13 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL My friend JUST noticed that today. He had the polarized sunglasses on.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Racer

friends don't let friends wear polarized sunglasses
Old 08-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Bound for Europe

I think Acura might have shipped their South African market TSXs to North America by mistake. In SA, bullet resistant glass is coupled with the Acura/Colt silenced .45 automatic that comes with the "stop getting carjacked twice a week" package.

It's probably extra strong glass that will withstand an airbag activating. I'm scared to get into an accident in this car. Them airbags are going to suffocate me.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:03 PM
7th Gear

That explains why my salesman looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him about the spots in windows. I kept saying "what are those spots?" his reply: "what spots?" repeated about 5 times. He looked like he thought I was on acid. No acid, just polarized Bolles.