some of my ideas of the future of RSX, TSX and a TSX type-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006 | 09:49 PM
Racer

some of my ideas of the future of RSX, TSX and a TSX type-S

The TSX Type-S could be around $ 30,000 and be pumped up with power. The civic has the si-coupe and soon to come si-sedan. Acura needs to get more in the news cuz honda is dominating right now. And i was thinking a hybrid also cuz to me the TSX is the same for acura as is the civic for honda. I really think acura should have their whole lineup w/ optional hybrid. I love the rsx and everything but im sorry but ever since the new mustang the rsx is kinda outdated and not in the same league as the mustang considering their prices are the same.

after i was done writing above i thought bout my pricing of $30,000 and i thought it might not work because of the compition from, BMW, lexus, audi...and others.

ok so heres where i know im streching it but dont attack me on this one but cut the rsx and make a tsx coupe.

bottom line is expand on type-s to other cars. and also bring in hybrids.
I know the nsx replacement is going to be sick but its the rsx is what im worried about.....
Old 03-26-2006 | 09:59 PM
Photography Nerd

The TSX has one more model year until it gets a full remake, so there will be no Type-S model. The next gen is rumored to have SH-AWD and use the RDX's 2.3L Turbo. Type-S is no longer a part of the Acura vocabulary. There won't be any more Type-S models.

The RSX maybe has another model year left in it, but then it'll either get dropped or replaced by some variation of the Civic Euro-R.
Old 03-26-2006 | 10:14 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

unless i'm mistaken, there is presumption that this is the last production year of the RSX. so we should be looking for something new in the 2007 lineup. I'm eager about what comes our way.

I mean I LOVE my 3g TL, but driving a quick, easily modified, nimble RSX is something i yearn for as well. whenever I get a chance to drive my fiance's type-s i jump at the opportunity.

as for the type-s distiniction. I completely agree. there should be a more performance oriented option for their lineup, and that's not counting the a-spec option. maybe for 2007

(uneducated guesses... don't hate cause i have no idea what i'm talking about.lol)

- RSX replacement
201 hp i-vtec

- RSX type-s replacement
225 hp vtec (with optional turbocharger) :-)

-tsx
205 hp i-vtec

-tsx type-s
258 hp vtec

-TL
290 hp 3.2L Vtec

-TL type s
300 hp 3.2 V6 vtec w SH-AWD and optional turbo

-RL
333 hp V8 vtec

no type s option for RL. instead...

RL/Legend coupe.

333 hp v8 vtec w optional turbo charged engine aspec standard, and sh-awd.

:crosses fingers::

disclaimer- i know NOTHING about the numbers i just posted. i am just guessing....

..but an 2007 legend coupe???

::
Old 03-26-2006 | 10:21 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Acura wants to move upscale. the RSX will be dropped soon.

if the 2nd gen TSX doesn't come with SHAWD (rumored as a possibly from Colin) - i would be majorly disappointed esp. if they put awd on the TL (i don't want a more expensive FI motor FWD for 2nd gen, when i can slap on a CT s/c now).

i'd would then have to choose between the RDX and the TL...or keep current TSX and add s/c. come on Honda - do the right thing and make the whole line up AWD by 2008!

anyone know if the MDX is rumored to have SHAWD option, i don't follow the suv segment.
Old 03-26-2006 | 10:30 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
The TSX has one more model year until it gets a full remake, so there will be no Type-S model. The next gen is rumored to have SH-AWD and use the RDX's 2.3L Turbo. Type-S is no longer a part of the Acura vocabulary. There won't be any more Type-S models.

The RSX maybe has another model year left in it, but then it'll either get dropped or replaced by some variation of the Civic Euro-R.
you're probably right about the civic euro-r as the basis for a replacement for the rsx... but i hope not. to me that thing is UGLY to me it's too tall. looks like an updated VW scirocco...

but the front of it does closely resemple the conceptual design for the designs for the 2009 NSX

2009 NSX write up and conceptual designs
Old 03-26-2006 | 10:34 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by mg7726
Acura wants to move upscale. the RSX will be dropped soon.

if the 2nd gen TSX doesn't come with SHAWD (rumored as a possibly from Colin) - i would be majorly disappointed esp. if they put awd on the TL (i don't want a more expensive FI motor FWD for 2nd gen, when i can slap on a CT s/c now).

i'd would then have to choose between the RDX and the TL...or keep current TSX and add s/c. come on Honda - do the right thing and make the whole line up AWD by 2008!

anyone know if the MDX is rumored to have SHAWD option, i don't follow the suv segment.
as far as i know it should have sh-awd the rdx will have it and it's at a lower price point. so i don't see why the mdx wouldn't.
Old 03-26-2006 | 11:10 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by sequoia
as far as i know it should have sh-awd the rdx will have it and it's at a lower price point. so i don't see why the mdx wouldn't.
I think I'd actually prefer that the TSX (and Acura in general) adopt a FR layout or just stay FF. I will take the turbo though.

From what I've read on ToV, the RL's SH-AWD setup lends itself to some hellacious understeer when pushed hard in corners. There should be no handling regression in the next gen TSX.
Old 03-26-2006 | 11:27 PM
G2 TSX

Originally Posted by waTSX
I think I'd actually prefer that the TSX (and Acura in general) adopt a FR layout or just stay FF. I will take the turbo though.

From what I've read on ToV, the RL's SH-AWD setup lends itself to some hellacious understeer when pushed hard in corners. There should be no handling regression in the next gen TSX.
That's partly due to the hefty weight of the RL. The G2 TSX mated with SH-AWD should be optimal.
Old 03-26-2006 | 11:33 PM
Drifting

The TSX ain't no Civic dude...in the US, TSX might be the lowest level sedan in Acura, but in Canada, we have our EL...now THAT'S an acura civic...
Old 03-27-2006 | 12:01 AM
Advanced

i've got an extremely question; what do all these acronyms mean? FI, FR, FF, SH-AWD. i know the AWD but SH...? sorry. like i said
Old 03-27-2006 | 02:59 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by grasseater
i've got an extremely question; what do all these acronyms mean? FI, FR, FF, SH-AWD. i know the AWD but SH...? sorry. like i said
FR - front engine / rear wheel drive. i.e. most BMW

FF - front engine / front wheel drive i.e. like our acuras (with the exception of the RL and the NSX)

RR - rear engine / rear wheel drive i.e. porsche 911

there's also a mid engine / rear wheel drive like many exotics, including out beloved Acura NSX, but i'm not sure if there is an acronym for it. I'm assuing it would be a MR (mid engine / rear wheel drive?) i'll still a noob at this stuff too.. but i'm learning. slowly... but learning.

i'm not sure what FI is. ..anyone?

and the SH in SH-AWD is "super handling" it debuted on the RL and is being brought to other platforms. next is the RDX, and i'm assuming the MDX, TL, TSX soon afterward

essentially it's a all wheel drive that can distribute engine torque to compensate for over and understeer. think of it as an AWD on steroids.

all this info is new to me too. but it's all intoxicating... :-) my fiance is already overwhelmed by my interest in it... lol (funny thing is she got me into it with her modded out RSX type-s so i through it in her face when she laughs at me for trying to learn as much as i can about our cars...)

anyways...

can someone help out a pair of noobs to what FI is, and correct me on anything i've written above if that's the case?

thanks!!

-sequoia
Old 03-27-2006 | 03:27 AM
無限 本田 CL9

FF - front engine / front wheel drive i.e. like our acuras (with the exception of the RL and the NSX)

there's also a mid engine / rear wheel drive like many exotics, including out beloved Acura NSX, but i'm not sure if there is an acronym for it. I'm assuing it would be a MR (mid engine / rear wheel drive?) i'll still a noob at this stuff too.. but i'm learning. slowly... but learning.

and the SH in SH-AWD is "super handling" it debuted on the RL and is being brought to other platforms. next is the RDX, and i'm assuming the MDX, TL, TSX soon afterward

essentially it's a all wheel drive that can distribute engine torque to compensate for over and understeer. think of it as an AWD on steroids.

all this info is new to me too. but it's all intoxicating... :-) my fiance is already overwhelmed by my interest in it... lol (funny thing is she got me into it with her modded out RSX type-s so i through it in her face when she laughs at me for trying to learn as much as i can about our cars...)

anyways...

can someone help out a pair of noobs to what FI is, and correct me on anything i've written above if that's the case?

thanks!!

-sequoia
FI stands for Forced Induction, i.e. turbocharger and supercharger
Old 03-27-2006 | 03:55 AM
Advanced

not exactly true. SH-AWD is first debuted on the RL line, but the SH technology was first introduced in the honda prelude back in 1997.
Old 03-27-2006 | 04:24 AM
Advanced

anyways...

thanks!!

-sequoia
hey thanks for all the info! and if they put that SHAWD in the 2gen TSX i may be trading in my 05!
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:39 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Jack Slate
That's partly due to the hefty weight of the RL. The G2 TSX mated with SH-AWD should be optimal.
This may well be true, but I think most would agree that the TSX is already on the portly side. It certainly does not need to gain any more weight, nor does it need the potential mechanical headaches an AWD system might bring.

If the next gen TSX came with AWD, I'd hold out buying one until it was determined how its handling stacks up against todays TSX.
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jesuswalks
Acura needs to get more in the news cuz honda is dominating right now.
Honda = Acura. Acura is the "luxury" division not the performance division, but I would like to see more power and some RWD and/or AWD Acuras.

but im sorry but ever since the new mustang the rsx is kinda outdated and not in the same league as the mustang considering their prices are the same.
RSX and Mustang are not in the same league.
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:53 AM
Banned

I'd hold out buying one until it was determined how its handling stacks up against todays TSX.
AWD > FWD handling. No comparison.
Old 03-27-2006 | 12:03 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by GodMachine
AWD > FWD handling. No comparison.
I hope that's true. Do you care to provide some evidence to back up your assertion?
Old 03-27-2006 | 12:36 PM
Banned

I hope that's true. Do you care to provide some evidence to back up your assertion?
Seems like you've never driven an AWD car. Go do that & enjoy the shit eating grin you'll have afterwards.
Old 03-27-2006 | 12:40 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by sutekidane
not exactly true. SH-AWD is first debuted on the RL line, but the SH technology was first introduced in the honda prelude back in 1997.
hey that's right. :-) the type-SH on the preludes from 1997-2002.

hey if they are losing the RSX... is there a chance that they could be bringing back the prelude for the acura lineup? honda has the s2000, they should bring the prelude over to the Acura line.
Old 03-27-2006 | 12:49 PM
JOATMON

My understanding is that this is the last year for the RSX. Among other things, the new Si is really squeezing the market for the RSX Type S.

The replacement for the RSX will be a TSX coupe (i.e. a two-door vehicle based on the TSX chassis).

Old 03-27-2006 | 12:49 PM
Race Director

All of this HP stuff it good, but you're missing the point that Acura needs to also come up with better car designs too and not keep their conservative styling, ala style cars like Infiniti!
Old 03-27-2006 | 12:53 PM
Have camera, will travel

Seems like you've never driven an AWD car. Go do that & enjoy the shit eating grin you'll have afterwards.
I've driven WRX's and Forester XT's on test drives, but I've never done an empirical head to head comparison between FWD and AWD cars. The Soobies were fun to drive, but so is the TSX. I thought I'd read that AWD cars push like a dog in corners on paved surfaces.

I stand by my point that the TSX does not need to gain any more weight. If SH-AWD would improve the TSX's already more than capable handling qualities, then great. If not, I'd be disappointed.
Old 03-27-2006 | 12:56 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
All of this HP stuff it good, but you're missing the point that Acura needs to also come up with better car designs too and not keep their conservative styling, ala style cars like Infiniti!
Style cars like Infinity? With a couple of notable exceptions, I'd have to say to that.
Old 03-27-2006 | 01:01 PM
Race Director

Style cars like Infinity? With a couple of notable exceptions, I'd have to say to that.
I like the style of the G35 coupe, FX, and the M35/M45, they beat the heck out of the styling of our TSX, RL, and TL, (imo).

The FX is a love it/hate it design, but it's not conservative looking compared to the MDX and upcoming RDX.
Old 03-27-2006 | 01:03 PM
Banned

I've driven WRX's and Forester XT's on test drives, but I've never done an empirical head to head comparison between FWD and AWD cars. The Soobies were fun to drive, but so is the TSX. I thought I'd read that AWD cars push like a dog in corners on paved surfaces.
That's ashame. Go hit up a dealer & grab an STi or EVO & thrash it. They are a BLAST to drive. They stuck like glue around corners @ high speeds for me.

I stand by my point that the TSX does not need to gain any more weight. If SH-AWD would improve the TSX's already more than capable handling qualities, then great. If not, I'd be disappointed.
No doubt the TSX does not need to get heavier. It's already too heavy IMO.
Old 03-27-2006 | 01:09 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

with the exception of the RL (and I love the RL - technology wise, but it resembles an accord WAY too much) i think acura has some great designs. the only infiniti i like is the M series. and only the front. i think the rear is hidious.

but i would like to see some updated designs. to me a lot of the luxury lines are focusing on the "luxury" side of their design. and i appreciate the fact that Acura still nods to their racing heritage. look at a 3GTL and a infiniti M series side by side. to me, it looks like the TL will run circles around the M. numbers wise, the M45 is beautiful. but I think my car looks better :-)

but give me a UR pulley, comptech supercharger, comtech exhaust, dropped on tien SS, with ray's gram lights, and not only will my car look better, but i be a blur to that M45

(in the fashion of peter from Family Guy) ...sweeeeeeeeeet.
Old 03-27-2006 | 03:42 PM
Banned

with the exception of the RL (and I love the RL - technology wise, but it resembles an accord WAY too much) i think acura has some great designs. the only infiniti i like is the M series. and only the front. i think the rear is hidious.

but i would like to see some updated designs. to me a lot of the luxury lines are focusing on the "luxury" side of their design. and i appreciate the fact that Acura still nods to their racing heritage. look at a 3GTL and a infiniti M series side by side. to me, it looks like the TL will run circles around the M. numbers wise, the M45 is beautiful. but I think my car looks better :-)

but give me a UR pulley, comptech supercharger, comtech exhaust, dropped on tien SS, with ray's gram lights, and not only will my car look better, but i be a blur to that M45

(in the fashion of peter from Family Guy) ...sweeeeeeeeeet.
You're buying the wrong car if going fast is at the top of your list. That's not what the TL is for. It's already got too much HP for a FWD car IMO. It should be RWD. You want to go fast? Buy a AWD or RWD car.
Old 03-27-2006 | 03:43 PM
Race Director

I would also like Acura to put more torque and make their engines have that badass exhaust sound too.
Old 03-27-2006 | 04:16 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

You're buying the wrong car if going fast is at the top of your list. That's not what the TL is for. It's already got too much HP for a FWD car IMO. It should be RWD. You want to go fast? Buy a AWD or RWD car.
you're right the torque steer in an over powered FWD is apparent. i mean it's there in the 05 TL like i have, but in my opinion it's a little over exaggerated from the posts on the 3G board.

..but speed isn't my ULTIMATE goal. but its something i'd like to enhance. I bought my acura because of the balance. if i wanted spped, for the same price i could have purchased a G35c or an STi.

in all reality, i like the potential for speed at my disposal. it's not like i'd be clocking 1/4 mile times daily. But i'd like the opportunity to "surprise" ag35c or an STi or an m3 when pushed to.,with the mods available for our cars.
i think it's human nature to push things to their limit. and if i'm not mistaken, the 3G has the most HP for a FWD car. (someone correct me if i'm wrong) but if i can squueze a little more out, and still have form and function, but at the same time, have a monster under the hood?

..i'm all for it.
Old 03-27-2006 | 05:31 PM
Banned

and if i'm not mistaken, the 3G has the most HP for a FWD car. (someone correct me if i'm wrong) but if i can squueze a little more out, and still have form and function, but at the same time, have a monster under the hood?

..i'm all for it.
Out of all FWD cars on the market? If so, wrong. The GXP has 303hp. A stupid move on GM's part making that car FWD.
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:00 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Out of all FWD cars on the market? If so, wrong. The GXP has 303hp. A stupid move on GM's part making that car FWD.
wow.. it does.

it's also ugly. lol
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:11 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

wow it does...

it's also ugly. lol

i'm not try to dilute your arguments. you are absolutlely right that excessive HP on a FWD car is problematic. It should be FWD or AWD.

if someone is looking to take a stock FWD car and mod it to push 600hp IMO they were looking at the wrong car in the first place. (i'm sure people have seen that episode of PINK's where that kid drove - or attempted to drive - that 600hp civic.)

at that point, the bought the wrong car. IMO

but i'm talking about +50hp with the mods. but, i don't think it's overdoing it.

______

acura! i hope you read this! get RWD and FWD into our cars already....

as a :noob: asking a question...what is the rational behind our cars being FWD? if we are a history as perfomance oriented company, why wouldn't it be at the least RWD? i hear everyone talk about the benefits of RWD and AWD, and the only resounding advantage i read on the boards to FWD is control in wet and/or rain soaked roads.

..is that it?

why did honda make our cars FWD?

-sorry for all the questions.. i'm still learning.
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:22 PM
Racer

fwd cars have much better gas mileage and allows more trunk space.
-
Please stay on topic i wanna hear your ideas for the future of Acura
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting thread. For those that are saying that Acura needs to "catch up" to Honda, please look at the recent history. The two divisions take turns releasing new product. It was just Honda's turn (Odyssey, Ridgeline, Civic) and soon it will be our turn (RDX, MDX and TSX). A few years ago when it was Acura's turn we got TSX, TL, and RL all in a row. A new car every 6 months.

As for RSX, I'm pretty sure (95%) we'll have one more model year for 2007, then I'm hearing that there'll be a next-gen TSX based coupe. The RSX is rumored to be leaving the Civic chassis for good.

TSX has one more model year (2007) before it gets a full redesign. There will be NO REPLACEMENTS for these two cars for 2007 - the earliest will be 2008. There is also no guarantee that the next 2 door coupe will be called the RSX.
Old 03-27-2006 | 07:43 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

i still want a legend coupe.

RL coupe concept pictures

pictures courtesy of posters on the RL board...

i'm not sure how i feel about the concept design for that s2000...
Old 03-28-2006 | 01:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I would also like Acura to put more torque and make their engines have that badass exhaust sound too.
if by badass exhaust sound you mean the fart-cannon i strongly disagree. IMO that makes ANY car . it seems to me that when people do that they want thier little ricers to sound like corvettes...and fail miserably.