So much for breaking in my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So much for breaking in my car

Well I just got off the phone with my bank's car buying service. My '06 CP/Ebony is coming from a dealership in Spartanburg, SC. From there it is delivered by transfer truck to Charlotte, NC.

The bank has a driver that is driving it 170 miles to me in Raleigh.

It is weird because I can take delivery it on Saturday, but I don't have to sign the paperwork for it until Monday at the bank. My warranty starts the moment I take it.

Crazy, huh?

He said something about a TDI/PDI at the dealership so maybe that is some kind of service. Who knows?

Oh yea I already got my first pat on the back. He says it has been almost impossible to find this color combination. I could have had the car two weeks ago if I choose anything else than CG, much less a Ebony interior.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer

Don't feel bad. I just got back from picking my 06 up and it had 190k on it already! It was a dealer to dealer trade from another state and they had to drive it from Ohio to my dealership in Indiana. Not the end of the world and I'm happy to finally have the Navi and 6MT. Oh Yeah Bluetooth Rocks! CB
Old 12-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Have camera, will travel

I once passed on a vehicle for this very reason. I just don't trust some unknown driver possibly hammering on my brand new car.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what can they do?

Originally Posted by waTSX
I once passed on a vehicle for this very reason. I just don't trust some unknown driver possibly hammering on my brand new car.

i'm getting my car on a dealer trade, should have about 50 miles on it when i get it.

i must ask of you paranoid people:

what can they possibly do to the car in 100 or so miles? i think you're all just a little too crazy about this. it's no big deal that someone else is driving your car.

i can maybe see the concern if it's a manual transmission, but even then, i know people who learn on new cars, and their cars are still running strong years later with no new clutch. i don't see what the cause for concern is.

i only hope my driver doesn't tailgate a garbage truck or something and get lots of dings in it.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Just dial 1911

Why cant the bank use a transfer truck or tow truck to deliver it?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Pro

I know this is for the TSX community...but were all family!!! I had to request my 05 TL from the dealership...I wanted a black on black navi/manual....the only one availabe was in Miami...but they didnt drive it all the way to where im at...im not gonna state the city...but Miami is a good 400+ miles away from where I live...They instead put on a flat bed truck and took it to my dealership...the whole process took about 1 week...and they lend me a white 2005 tl while I was waiting fro myne...When I got my 05 TL it had 3 miles on it.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by bradykp
i'm getting my car on a dealer trade, should have about 50 miles on it when i get it.

i must ask of you paranoid people:

what can they possibly do to the car in 100 or so miles? i think you're all just a little too crazy about this. it's no big deal that someone else is driving your car.

i can maybe see the concern if it's a manual transmission, but even then, i know people who learn on new cars, and their cars are still running strong years later with no new clutch. i don't see what the cause for concern is.

i only hope my driver doesn't tailgate a garbage truck or something and get lots of dings in it.
Paranoid is a little strong. All that matters is whether or not you're comfortable with it. If you are, then no problem. As to what can happen in 100 miles, I can think of a few things.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Heh, actually I never thought about breaking in a car until I stumbled upon this forum.

Bah I just want the car, shoot I have been without a car for almost 3 weeks now and it has been killing me.

So much stuff going on this weekend and I can only bum so many rides.

Pictures will follow very soon.

"She will be mine. Oh, yes - she will be mine. "

Old 12-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Still Lovin my 06

such as

Originally Posted by waTSX
Paranoid is a little strong. All that matters is whether or not you're comfortable with it. If you are, then no problem. As to what can happen in 100 miles, I can think of a few things.

such as?

i don't think paranoid is too strong. if you're not comfortable with it, then wait for a car that's ordered by your dealer. that's all i'm saying.

so, what are a few things that can happen to it?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro

If I got my brand new car with 150 miles on it...I wouldn't even touch it and ask fro my money back!!! I dont consider that "new"!!! anything could of happend during those 150 miles!!! if you willing o accept this make sure you check for ANY and I mean ANY blemishes, knicks, or scratches...check you wheels tools for any of that stuff too...If I was faced with that situation I would probably get another color....If i wanted that combination BADLY than I would ask someone to take me to the dealership that they have it at ....so That I could pick it up personally!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Racer

Mine had 184 miles upon delivery and I gladly took it. CG/Ebony/Nav/6MT was a difficult combo to find so I jumped on it. It did have a scratch on the side spoilers but it was pre-OEM underbody kit and would be replaced, so I didn't care. I also learned to drive stick on it. She's running perfectly strong so far.
Just do a nice inspection of the car before signing it away. As for how sturdy the stick shift is to handle n00bs to manual transmissions, it's very strong considering I was pretty awful for the first 2 weeks and now it's silky smooth.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Pro

If I was the driver I would treat your car like a rental....I WOULD RACE ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY!!!

Just being honest! Let us know what age was the driver if you ever do find out. That should tell you/us alot!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Where about in Raleigh do you live? There's not many Raleigh TSX'rs that I know of. Congrats on the 06 though, I haven't even seen one in person yet.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Oh yea?

I live near CarMax off of glenwood avenue.

I am a NCSU grad too!
Old 12-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Have camera, will travel

such as?

i don't think paranoid is too strong. if you're not comfortable with it, then wait for a car that's ordered by your dealer. that's all i'm saying.

Truly paranoid people get deposited in rubber rooms, dude. It's a serious mental disorder.

As far as what can happen to your car:

1. Possible engine damage. Unlikely but possible.
2. Unwanted rock chips on your paint. You'll probably get those anyway eventually.
3. Transmission damage, for the same reasons the motor might get hurt, over-zealous driving.

Bradykp, it sounds like you're comfortable with the process of having your car delivered, so more power to you. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

I'm just picky about stuff like that.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joerockt
Why cant the bank use a transfer truck or tow truck to deliver it?

tow truck ?

HELL NO !!!
Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

such as?

Other than what people already said.

I wouldn't give a shit about road surface conditions, wouldn't mind running over any bumps , cracks, potholes and craters and shit at speed.....Now you think about your NJ roads lol. (now can you say "Rattles")

Bottom line: In general, people just don't give a shit about other people's "baby"
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro

I've always heard this one: "keep it below 60 mph for the first month(probably less but not the point) before you really start breaking it in" I know most people have heard that one...I'm not saying its true but in a way it would make a little sense....I dont really know...dont flame cuz of that quote though.

The driver has 150 miles of road ahead of him....
Now do you think that driver is gonna really keep it under 60 mph???
Old 12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
無限 本田 CL9

Originally Posted by TSX_Road_Warrior
Don't feel bad. I just got back from picking my 06 up and it had 190k on it already! It was a dealer to dealer trade from another state and they had to drive it from Ohio to my dealership in Indiana. Not the end of the world and I'm happy to finally have the Navi and 6MT. Oh Yeah Bluetooth Rocks! CB
190,000 miles in less than a month? is that even possible?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nandito28
I've always heard this one: "keep it below 60 mph for the first month(probably less but not the point) before you really start breaking it in" I know most people have heard that one...I'm not saying its true but in a way it would make a little sense....I dont really know...dont flame cuz of that quote though.

The driver has 150 miles of road ahead of him....
Now do you think that driver is gonna really keep it under 60 mph???
I'm no expert, but these are OLD break-in techniques and don't really apply to modern, well-designed engines.

I'm a fan of the break it in HARD technique, so I personally wouldn't care about someone else transporting my car. My only concern would be that they weren't hard ENOUGH on the engine during the first 100 miles.

By breaking it in hard, I mean waiting until the engine is fully warmed up, then LOTS of revving with some time to cool down in between (keep it at a low RPM for a couple of miles after high revs). Rev it high on the upshifts and downshift to engine break frequently (many say the compression you create from engine breaking is VERY beneficial during break-in). Anyway, this is a very controversial topic, but there are plenty of websites discussing the merits or breaking it in hard. I hit 6k RPMs before the car had 20 miles on it and I've hit it again everyday since. But that's me. Do what you're comfortable with.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Instructor

We're pretty close, I live over in Brier Creek.

Originally Posted by eltownse
Oh yea?

I live near CarMax off of glenwood avenue.

I am a NCSU grad too!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Instructor

I also am I fan of the hard break in. I rode my car hard from the day I bought it and it runs like a champ.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine Break-In

For those of us who are not fans of the "break it in hard" theory here is a thread by ClutchPerformer on engine break-in.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443

I pretty much used this procedure.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

190k?!?! Was the car supposed to be new? Because I don't consider that anywhere near new, more like half dead.

Ohh did you mean 190 kilometers?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
190k? How many times around back and forth east coast to west coast did this guy drive with your new car?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Banned

Old 12-17-2005, 01:16 AM
TSX4EVR

It will be interesting to see what mine will be. It got dropped of the truck Thursday and today it was suppose to go the the remote starter place and to the rust proofing place.

My guess is that it will have 60 to 80 kms (40 to 60 miles) on it.

I'm not concerned about it. I just want it.

Excited
Old 12-17-2005, 01:18 AM
無限 本田 CL9

Originally Posted by hellspare
190k?!?! Was the car supposed to be new? Because I don't consider that anywhere near new, more like half dead.

Ohh did you mean 190 kilometers?
Yea.. see looking at his location (Indy) im assuming measurements should be in miles, not kilometers.. therefore when he says "190k" the way i've read it is 190,000 miles