Should I take Ziebart rust-proofing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Should I take Ziebart rust-proofing?

(I did a search and I only hit two mentions on Ziebart and nothing specific on it, so I'm asking here).

Camco Acura in Ottawa is offering Ziebart rust-proofing for CAN $499.

First of all, is it any good? How does it compare to Krown?

When I was at the dealership they weren't pushy, but they did a pre-emptive strike against Krown by saying "now, let me warn you, you should not use any oil-based rust-proofing product like Krown because there are many electrical components in the TSX and the oil will attack them. Any damage as a result will not be covered by warranty". I said that I was surprised that Krown would do that because it's so popular, and he said "well, just make sure they use a very light oil, then you should be ok". They also said that they will not drill holes in the car. Seems like they just spray stuff on.

Now, cost-wise it seems to be pretty competitive against Krown, which is $100/year and since I would probably keep the car about 5 years it would be pretty equal. I like the fact that you don't have to reapply Ziebart every year, but when I was reading up on it it seems you have to come back every year for inspection and a touch-up, which I think is free (it better be).

So, any thoughts? I know Krown is recommended but it could be easier to just let the dealer do it, and if it's just as good and doesn't cost more...
Old 08-24-2004, 07:54 PM
OCD in the OC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm skeptical. Not about Ziebart rust-proofing--I don't even know that that is. However, if the dealer is charging you $499, you can probably get the SAME EXACT thing for half the price after market.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it is common in the North (not in CA). I would call around and see what others are offering and at what price. Never hurts to shop around.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:50 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's just a way for salesmen the get more profit. Even if you wanted it (and I really question the need for it), I sure wouldn't get it from the dealer!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Instructor

I have used Krown before with great results, the only down sides are
1) You have to reapply it yearly
2) They usually take a drill to your car panels

I had the Zeibart thrown in for free on my last car (before my TSX) the biggest problem was that it was sticky as hell and you are not allowed to wash your engine bay (it gets really dirty) or it voids the warranty. In my opinion it is not worth the $499.00 cost.

But I think you answered your own question when you said you plan on keeping the car for only 5 years. A properly built car will not show any signs of rust in that little time, especially newer cars which are better designed for this. If you don't believe me both my mom and dad own Acura's. One of them is 6 years old, never rust proofed and has no signs of rust. If you want some more proof I have a couple of good friends in the auto industry and have always told me to avoid the rustproof the dealer offers cause it is crap and to avoid it all together if you plan on keeping the car for 5 years or less. But if you want the piece of mind Krown seems to be the place of choice, that is if you can stand having a drill taken to your doors.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:33 PM
7th Gear

I never got the rust proofing. Several reasons, one being the warrenty. Another is the panels underneath I thought they should be taken off before the rust proofing and I did not trust that the panels would be replaced properly. Also, drilled holes I didn't like either.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by underhill
I never got the rust proofing. Several reasons, one being the warrenty. Another is the panels underneath I thought they should be taken off before the rust proofing and I did not trust that the panels would be replaced properly. Also, drilled holes I didn't like either.
How would the rust-proofing affect the warranty in a negative way? Is is the drilled holes?

Thanks for the tip OTT-TSX...
Old 08-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
How would the rust-proofing affect the warranty in a negative way? Is is the drilled holes?

Thanks for the tip OTT-TSX...

Not sure exactly what he meant but I know for a fact that with both systems you have to go back yearly ( I think every 3 years with Zeibart) and have the product reapplied or "touched up" in the case of Zeibart. If you don't say bye bye to the rust warranty. Also with Zeibart I was told I could not wash my engine bay or remove the sticky crap on the door trim or my warranty would be void also.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

why would you want to get your car rust proofed when it comes with a 5 year rust proof warranty? i may be mistaken but check you manual's first before spending money on something you might not need.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blazed54
why would you want to get your car rust proofed when it comes with a 5 year rust proof warranty? i may be mistaken but check you manual's first before spending money on something you might not need.
Because it is not a rust proof warranty it is a rust perforation warranty. Meaning the rust has to eat right through the metal and leave a hole before the warranty kicks in. Even with harsh Canadian winters this will rarely ever happen in the first 5 years. You will start to see these things happen around the 7-10 year mark.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Banned

Just go to the trackless touch free car wash ~3 times a month and you'll be fine. It's a lot cheaper than rustproofing too.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Waste of money. Your car already comes with a warranty for rust and vehicles these days are rust-proofed a lot better than earlier years. Just like Perma-Plate is a waste of money.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Waste of money. Your car already comes with a warranty for rust and vehicles these days are rust-proofed a lot better than earlier years. Just like Perma-Plate is a waste of money.
I agree completely. Infact Consumer Reports found that rustproofing makes your car MORE LIKELY TO RUST. The reason being that the holes they drill allow an entry point for the salt.