Service Prices???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003 | 06:09 AM
Banned

Question Service Prices???

Being an Acura convert... I have no idea how much services are going to set me back? Are they going to be much more expensive than your average Honda service?

If so... is it just one big jagoff?
Old 09-07-2003 | 12:43 PM
Racer

i'd say the prices to service an acura aren't that much more than at honda. oil changes are the same price, everything is pretty much close to the same. But as far as regualr maintainance, goes... the car is easy to maintain.

I'm thinking about getting the OEM service manual and doing the service on the car myself. Everything is pretty easy to change (air filter, spark plugs, etc), but i'll leave the engine tune up for the pros. I've done the maitainance for my past cars and its not that hard, saves a bundle of money.
Old 09-07-2003 | 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

It depends. Some dealers charge more than Honda dealer service because--afterall--it IS an Acura. (Translation: It's marketing BS.) One dealer somewhere in the Burlingame, California area has had both Honda and Acura franchises. Consistently, their services cost more for Acuras than Hondas--even a SIMPLE oil change! There's no reason for an Integra's oil and filter change to cost more than a Honda Civic's. They take the same capacity oil and use the same oil filter. They have essentially the same engines. But some dealers are all too happy to charge more for any excuse.

I've seen a number of Acuras being serviced at my local Honda dealer. I don't know if Honda dealers charge more for Acura servicing.

I normally take my cars to an independent service facility, but with new cars, I would suggest having your Acura serviced at least few times over the warranty period at the Acura dealer.

Why? There's this industry-wide notion of "silent warranty repair". These are not matters subject to recall notices, but they are issues that the Acura dealer would be most attuned to in attending without making them public. They would typically replace or fix such potential problems without you ever knowing about it. Your independent or non-Acura dealer would not likely be as aware of service bulletins that would mention silent warranty repairs, and if they did, they would have to charge you for them. At the Acura dealer, you would typically not be charged for these "silent" warranty repairs.

Secondly, there are recall repairs. Acura dealers know about them and get reimbursed from HQ. I don't know if independent service facilities qualify for reimbursement from HQ.

All of my former and present Accords--3 in all--have had both recall repairs and silent warranty repairs.
Old 09-07-2003 | 04:41 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Brad
It depends. Some dealers charge more than Honda dealer service because--afterall--it IS an Acura. (Translation: It's marketing BS.) One dealer somewhere in the Burlingame, California area has had both Honda and Acura franchises. Consistently, their services cost more for Acuras than Hondas--even a SIMPLE oil change! There's no reason for an Integra's oil and filter change to cost more than a Honda Civic's. They take the same capacity oil and use the same oil filter. They have essentially the same engines. But some dealers are all too happy to charge more for any excuse.

I've seen a number of Acuras being serviced at my local Honda dealer. I don't know if Honda dealers charge more for Acura servicing.

I normally take my cars to an independent service facility, but with new cars, I would suggest having your Acura serviced at least few times over the warranty period at the Acura dealer.

Why? There's this industry-wide notion of "silent warranty repair". These are not matters subject to recall notices, but they are issues that the Acura dealer would be most attuned to in attending without making them public. They would typically replace or fix such potential problems without you ever knowing about it. Your independent or non-Acura dealer would not likely be as aware of service bulletins that would mention silent warranty repairs, and if they did, they would have to charge you for them. At the Acura dealer, you would typically not be charged for these "silent" warranty repairs.

Secondly, there are recall repairs. Acura dealers know about them and get reimbursed from HQ. I don't know if independent service facilities qualify for reimbursement from HQ.

All of my former and present Accords--3 in all--have had both recall repairs and silent warranty repairs.

silent warrenty repairs, sounds like the department of acura...
Old 09-07-2003 | 04:41 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Brad

silent warrenty repairs, sounds like the department of acura...
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:10 AM
Drifting

This makes me think of something... the TLC that now comes with every acura? (total luxury care). That does NOT include free scheduled maintenance for the warranty period? AH! i didn't figure that into my budget. I mean... if TLC doesnt cover scheduled maintainence, then what does it cover? Roadside assistance??? i think i'd rather have the free maintenance. lol

can anyone inform me on this?

thanks
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:14 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Alin10123
This makes me think of something... the TLC that now comes with every acura? (total luxury care). That does NOT include free scheduled maintenance for the warranty period? AH! i didn't figure that into my budget. I mean... if TLC doesnt cover scheduled maintainence, then what does it cover? Roadside assistance??? i think i'd rather have the free maintenance. lol

can anyone inform me on this?

thanks
yeah, they give lifetime roadside asistance.
Old 09-08-2003 | 01:55 AM
Not an Ashtray

What infuriates me is that none of the Acura dealers in this area give loaner cars (which makes them different from Infiniti, Audi, and Lexus). That is a big issue because there are no Acura dealers anywhere near where I work. So, If I bring my car in, I have to wait there while they fix it.
Old 09-08-2003 | 03:21 AM
Houston we have a problem

I guess I'm lucky then, almost all dealers here provides loaner car. And the service price is quite reasonable too. Oil change is $30, with a free car wash. It's even cheaper than my Mitsubishi with a discount coupon!!! Oh, BTW, never buy a Mitsubishi. NEVER!!