Rust in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust in Hawaii?

I'm moving to Honolulu for work for a couple of years. I want to bring over my '06 TSX but someone told me that it would rust like crazy, and by the time I was done, I wouldn't even want to own it anymore.

From what I've been able to gather, those fears are overblown. Rust seems to be an issue for people on the windward side of the island. I'll be on the leeward side and the car will be parked in a gated, secured garage most of the time, only coming out to run errands and for weekend excursions.

However, thought I would check with the TSX owners who have first hand knowledge there on the islands. Can you guys/girls give me some insight?

I'd much rather bring it over, but if it's going to be destroyed by the time I return to the mainland, I may as well just sell it now and buy a beater car or lease something while I'm there.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Someone lucky enough to live on those islands will have a more definitive answer than me. But keep in mind there are many Acuras/Hondas that endure 6 months out of 12 that are constantly subjected to road salt (northern states, Canada, etc). And do so for 10-15 years before showing signs of significant rust.

I would guess that salt in the air will contribute to corrosion, but I highly doubt that your car will rust away in 2-3 years. Bring it over and enjoy the weather!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I didn't notice any rusting on my walk-around of any of the rental cars I drove while out there this past summer. This includes some 2-3 year old Cobalts/HHRs/Imprezzas. Didn't get to see any Hondas though.

Just go out there any have fun man. That's what the Hawaiian spirit is all about!

I'd be more nervous letting my car make the trip over there on some dingy cargo ship.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Advanced

You'll be fine. I wash my car every few weeks or so and it's doing great. Just wash/wax your car like you normally would and you have nothing to worry about. I know people who don't even wash their car for 6+ months and it's okay. The only extra care i would say you have to do is when you go to the beach or drive somewhere that salt water would collect on the road. But then all you would have to do is wash your car when you get back and spray the undercarriage with fresh water. If you're car is destroyed in a couple years, it's probably because you never took good care of it in the first place.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
try to pm TSXDRIVER
Old 10-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Fella

unless you have exposed metal... you don't have to worry about rust....
Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
being that you'll be on the leeward side there's really no need to worry. i live on the leeward side too and i haven't had any problems with rust with any of my cars or parents cars. being that we live on the leeward side it's not like we're close to a beach where salt may be a problem. so no worries and just like what TSXinHI said, just wash and wax like you normally do and you shouldn't have any problems at all let us know when you come down so we can all meet up!!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Fella

Originally Posted by tsxdriver
being that you'll be on the leeward side there's really no need to worry. i live on the leeward side too and i haven't had any problems with rust with any of my cars or parents cars. being that we live on the leeward side it's not like we're close to a beach where salt may be a problem. so no worries and just like what TSXinHI said, just wash and wax like you normally do and you shouldn't have any problems at all let us know when you come down so we can all meet up!!
i wish the ferry was running.......
Old 10-30-2007, 08:39 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Any time you live within a few miles of the ocean, rust and corrosion are more of an issue than they would be otherwise.

Wind blowing over the water atomizes small particles of seawater, which evaporates to a microscopic dust of salt that can be carried miles inland. Salt=rust.

You can certainly mitigate this with frequent washings, but I'd expect salt-related issues anywhere near the coast.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tons of salt dumped on winter roads is far more destructive than any amount of sea air. People in Toronto often comment on how clean and rust-free cars are in Florida, Vancouver, Boston...LA. The majority of "new" cars driven in Barbados, where I lived for a while, are low-mileage, off-lease cars from Japan (right-hand drive) but rust isn't an issue even after they've spent a few years in the Caribbean. People I knew who lived right on the ocean would complain that salt in the air would damage their computer equipment, but I'm not sure if it was really just the high humidity. My TSX is rustproofed - hopefully.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear

Winter salt is far more corrosive than sea air. As a former kamaaina, I will tell you that it's important to touch up any rock chips that expose bare metal right away.

Rust will intrude quickly otherwise.

I would suggest you get your windows tinted when you arrive. It doesn't help all that much with heat (depending on how long you parked) but it will help prevent fading of the interior, especially the leather.

If you have NAVI, I don't think it will work.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Fella

Originally Posted by Armishanks
Winter salt is far more corrosive than sea air. As a former kamaaina, I will tell you that it's important to touch up any rock chips that expose bare metal right away.

Rust will intrude quickly otherwise.

I would suggest you get your windows tinted when you arrive. It doesn't help all that much with heat (depending on how long you parked) but it will help prevent fading of the interior, especially the leather.

If you have NAVI, I don't think it will work.
navi works in hawaii now... only xm radio doesn't work..