Remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:51 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start question

Hello,
We are about to be a proud new owner of a TSX and are interested in having a remote starter installed by the dealer. Cost is $595. My questions are:

1. Is this a 'standard' unit they install which works with the standard keyfob?
2. Does this sound about right ($)?

I want this to be as painless as possible.

THanks,
RZ
Old 06-06-2005, 12:17 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want it to work with the OEM fob, you would have to get the lojack system that allows it as an option. Otherwise you would need an aftermarket.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:27 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure that I agree with the above statement 100%. I guess I'm just not sure what he means, sorry.

Honda Motor does NOT have a remote start offered that I've ever heard of. There are a number of aftermarket units that can work off the OEM remote, but it's usually a press-lock-three-times kind of thing. Then your range sucks, too - cayuse the OEM fob range sucks kinda bad.

Every dealer-installed or dealer-sold-but-expeditor-installed remote start I've ever heard of is 100% aftermarket. (An expeditor is an installation business that does subcontract work for the dealership, cause they usually have no installers on staff...)

So you will be getting an aftermarket remote start.

Since the dealer usually does not do the actual work, and the sales/F&I guy doesn't usually even know what brand they sell (and will often LIE and say it's Honda, or Acura approved, or mechanic installed when it's not, etc., etc.) and expeditor installers are often the worst installers IN THE WORLD, I'd suggest not getting it from the dealer unless you really need it to be financed. You can get a better install and more control over getting a better product, and probably for less than that price.

Where are you geographically? We might be able to recommend a good instal shop.

(P.S. this week we are putting in the Clifford/Directed Keyless Entry Remote Start with the 2-way LCD remote...: )
Old 06-06-2005, 01:44 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
El dude, i got that from this https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=remote+start
Old 06-06-2005, 01:48 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
elduderino can you recommend an installer in the NYC/Long Island area. I had my clifford 3.5 installed but am beginning to think its a POS job. I was thinking about redoing it myself if i can't get someone to recommend a shop to me.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

The Remote Start from the dealer should include the LoJack Early Warning and the LoJack system in general. It's 595 if you look on the reciept it will say it. It is a DEI Valet Auto start system. They take your valet key and swap it with a remote. The auto start is programmed into the Acura Key Fob as well. Combo's are Lock unlock Lock > then open door with key, Lock Lock Lock, Lock Lock Lock Unlock>starts and door unlocks.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
I'm not sure that I agree with the above statement 100%. I guess I'm just not sure what he means, sorry.

Honda Motor does NOT have a remote start offered that I've ever heard of. There are a number of aftermarket units that can work off the OEM remote, but it's usually a press-lock-three-times kind of thing. Then your range sucks, too - cayuse the OEM fob range sucks kinda bad.

Every dealer-installed or dealer-sold-but-expeditor-installed remote start I've ever heard of is 100% aftermarket. (An expeditor is an installation business that does subcontract work for the dealership, cause they usually have no installers on staff...)

So you will be getting an aftermarket remote start.

Since the dealer usually does not do the actual work, and the sales/F&I guy doesn't usually even know what brand they sell (and will often LIE and say it's Honda, or Acura approved, or mechanic installed when it's not, etc., etc.) and expeditor installers are often the worst installers IN THE WORLD, I'd suggest not getting it from the dealer unless you really need it to be financed. You can get a better install and more control over getting a better product, and probably for less than that price.

Where are you geographically? We might be able to recommend a good instal shop.

(P.S. this week we are putting in the Clifford/Directed Keyless Entry Remote Start with the 2-way LCD remote...: )
GREAT !!! Please post details after the install is completed, if you can.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:51 PM
6th Gear

Let me see if I understand correctly. For $595 I should be getting the LoJack Early Warning and the LoJack system with AutoStart? This will allow me to use the stock keyfob? BTW - I'm in NJ if someone can recommend a good installer/shop.

Thanks,
Rich Z
Old 06-07-2005, 12:02 AM
VP Electricity

street effectz... official vendor here, does sweet work.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeap u got that right 595 dealer install. LoJack/AutoStart. All programmed in Acura Keyfob
Old 06-07-2005, 04:12 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by aznt1217
The Remote Start from the dealer should include the LoJack Early Warning and the LoJack system in general. It's 595 if you look on the reciept it will say it. It is a DEI Valet Auto start system. They take your valet key and swap it with a remote. The auto start is programmed into the Acura Key Fob as well. Combo's are Lock unlock Lock > then open door with key, Lock Lock Lock, Lock Lock Lock Unlock>starts and door unlocks.
Where do you get that every Acura dealer is going to do things the same way? They're not. They COULD, but they don't, and expecting them to be the same from dealer to dealer will disappoint you . Few Acura dealers offer the Lojack system, actually. The ones that do sell it for different prices, and with or without remote start, which is an add-on.

For instance, when I go to Lojack.com, I can't find a dealer doing Lojack within 100 miles of me.

If you want Lojack, great, but it's not a must have for remote start.