Rebadging Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rebadging Illegal?

Ok so i did a search and found all these rants and raves about rebadging and debadging and all that. But unless I missed something, rebadging as being illegal has never been brought up? Does anyone know if it is?? Just wondering. Evin though I've already done it. And if it is illegal, that won't stop me
Old 06-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Top notch 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't see any reason why it would be illegal

Copyright violation?!?!? Maybe someone will get sued for driving a Nissan with Mugen badge?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:33 PM

Smile

Oh i was thinkin more along the lines of, the car doesnt "appear" to be the same as registered, u know, like if you were to get pulled over and the registration says acura tsx and then my car says honda euro r......u know what i mean
Old 06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
Oh i was thinkin more along the lines of, the car doesnt "appear" to be the same as registered, u know, like if you were to get pulled over and the registration says acura tsx and then my car says honda euro r......u know what i mean
Then tell the cop to check the VIN then
Old 06-30-2005, 03:43 PM

so you think there shouldnt be any violation or anything?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:51 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if a cop told you that was a violation, tell him to shove the ticket up his ass as smell it. same thing to do if u ever get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt.... fucking cunts with nothing better to do with thier time to actually write people up for those 2 reasons.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:53 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
A friend of mine had a Daihatsu Charade, white, totally debadged, with white Momos, and paper plates - and he got a parking ticket made out to "unknown white car".

But it had his VIN on it.

As long as you got a VIN, you are legal.

By the way, what dark Orwellian world are you trying to drag us into, anyway?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Most cops can't tell a Honda from a Ford (no offense to any law enforcement officers that are members- I know that you can!) :cop: It's Blue Car, Red convertible, Black Car with 2 doors, Green Truck....

At the scene of an accident that I responded to (not involved in, just a witness), the officer asked me what happened (since I was caring for the injured driver), I told him that she (driver) had hit her head on the B pillar after the impact. He got all snotty with me because he did not know what a b pillar was (and I made him look bad)
Old 06-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
if a cop told you that was a violation, tell him to shove the ticket up his ass as smell it. same thing to do if u ever get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt.... fucking cunts with nothing better to do with thier time to actually write people up for those 2 reasons.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Top notch 6MT

Seat belt is not mandatory in your area?!?

From where I am, cops definitely can (and SHOULD) ticket people not wearing seatbelt.

Seat belts do save lives maybe you should considering wearing yours 97AcuraCL, unless you wanna play human cannon ball through your windshield
Old 06-30-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by elduderino
A friend of mine had a Daihatsu Charade, white, totally debadged, with white Momos, and paper plates - and he got a parking ticket made out to "unknown white car".

But it had his VIN on it.

As long as you got a VIN, you are legal.

By the way, what dark Orwellian world are you trying to drag us into, anyway?

Actually now that i think about it, I did get a parking ticket once, and it said on the ticket
Violation: "Street Cleaning"
Make: Honda
Model: Euro R
i was goin to keep it and laminate it haha
but then my wife threw it away

but still doesnt it have any implications that im "altering" the vehicles "identity"
Old 06-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Top notch 6MT

Actually now that i think about it, I did get a parking ticket once, and it said on the ticket
Violation: "Street Cleaning"
Make: Honda
Model: Euro R
i was goin to keep it and laminate it haha
but then my wife threw it away
From you original thinking, maybe you could have misputed the ticket as your car is NOT a Honda Euro R!
Old 06-30-2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
From you original thinking, maybe you could have misputed the ticket as your car is NOT a Honda Euro R!
haha now you're speaking my language haha thats a pretty good idea
Old 06-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

so you think there shouldnt be any violation or anything?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Seat belts do save lives maybe you should considering wearing yours 97AcuraCL, unless you wanna play human cannon ball through your windshield
its the darwinian system, let it go. if people will continue to stick fingers in eletrical sockets, ride their bikes off the roof, etc., then leave them to their own devices.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by xizor
its the darwinian system, let it go. if people will continue to stick fingers in eletrical sockets, ride their bikes off the roof, etc., then leave them to their own devices.
You are right ... as long as he doesn't cannon ball into my windshield
Old 06-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

People don't fly through windshields anymore because of the shatterproof glass coating that is used on the inside of the window. People just get crushed into their windshield and break bones, crush their skulls and stuff. I guess he would be pancaking himself not cannon balling.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:28 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
but still doesnt it have any implications that im "altering" the vehicles "identity"
Wow...in that case, then many riced out Civics with conversions will be illegal.

Cop (writing ticket): WTF is that? BMW? Lexus? Supra? My head hurts!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
What about the instance where someone is the witness to a crime, and the get-away car is identified by witnesses as a "Honda Accord", since it was rebadged as such. In the US that would make a huge difference, as there are 1,248,972,389,471,298,472,894,729,847 Accords and ~80,000 TSXs. Just a thought.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Life's a beach

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the thread title. The car's description in a crime or something of that sort. That could be used a valid reason for some sort of anti-rebadging legislation. Really, though, I guess I don't get the whole rebadging thing anyway. I mean, your car's not <insert name of replacement badge here>, it will never BE <insert name of replacement badge>, so exactly who are you fooling? Just my opinion...I could be wrong.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From where I am, cops definitely can (and SHOULD) ticket people not wearing seatbelt.

lol yeah really, its like a $60 per person not wearing a seatbelt here in kentucky
Old 06-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor

Unfortunately, they don't only inflict "damage" upon themselves. Most insurance companies do not cover you in a wreck if you were not wearing a seatbelt, thus when a@@hole without seatbelt crashes into me, I have to SUE him to repair my car since his insurance does not cover the wreck. I would love to find out that I am wrong, but I am pretty sure this is the case.

ALSO,

05_TSX_GP, what do you do for a living/job? So quick to yell at the boxer in the ring, so afraid to jump in...
Old 06-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Oh c'mon, everyone's doin' it!

Old 06-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 06-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^^
retard
Old 07-01-2005, 03:24 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Unfortunately, they don't only inflict "damage" upon themselves. Most insurance companies do not cover you in a wreck if you were not wearing a seatbelt, thus when a@@hole without seatbelt crashes into me, I have to SUE him to repair my car since his insurance does not cover the wreck. I would love to find out that I am wrong, but I am pretty sure this is the case.

ALSO,

05_TSX_GP, what do you do for a living/job? So quick to yell at the boxer in the ring, so afraid to jump in...
I am neither a boxing fan, nor a boxer
Old 07-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

its always been interesting to me why we have to make laws to keep people from doing stupid things.
why the hell would you NOT wear your seat belt? why should have to tell you to wear one?
seems like common sence to me. i never drive any car or ride as a passenger without my seatbelt. in fact i forget the fact i have it on its such a habit to buckle up every time i get in. its like turning the key its part of the driving process.

unfortunatly people who dont wear one end up eating some windshield and realise the hard way "maybe if i had my seat belt on my face wouldnt look like a pit bull"
oh well darwin will weed them out eventually.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

ALSO,

im in insurance and i have never heard that, however what i know about some big name companies (and i cant name any names) it wouldnt suprise me if they wouldnt pay a claim because of this. it all depends on the company. if your insured under this company i would look elsewhere! however if this company did deny a claim and you were the victom it wouldnt be your battle to fight. your insurance company would to go arbitration with the other guys company or the other guy himself and seek restitution. if you couldnt get it settled there you could go to the insurance commissioner in your state.
i guarentee you that if you say the words "insurance commissioner" any insurance company will start caughing up money.
you have the right to be compensated. be it from the insurance company or if the guy didnt have any insurance he has to pay. or if that doesnt work your insurance company should pay the claim under uninsured motorest coverage as long as you elected to buy it.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Advanced

I get aggervated when I see a debagded car that comes with different engines. For example, a BMW 3 series or Mercedes S class debagded makes me feel like they must have bought the cheaper engine, but don't want you to know.
As far as being illegal, does anybody know of any horror stories of a BMW 325 being rebadged as a 330 for resale? or any other crap like that?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by osubuckeye98
Oh c'mon, everyone's doin' it!

wow, that must be the JDM version of the RX haha
Old 07-01-2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Winterwaves
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the thread title. The car's description in a crime or something of that sort. That could be used a valid reason for some sort of anti-rebadging legislation. Really, though, I guess I don't get the whole rebadging thing anyway. I mean, your car's not <insert name of replacement badge here>, it will never BE <insert name of replacement badge>, so exactly who are you fooling? Just my opinion...I could be wrong.
but yeah i was thinkin more long these lines, of the cars description for a crime or reselling, or just some type of fraud suspicion....i dunno, was just thinkin if there was any type of law against this?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm a llama :(

In the case of a crime with your car being identified, I think it would only be illegal if you replaced the badges, since this might be concidered tampering with evidence. If you were to resell the car, it would only be illegal if you sold it under false pretenses.

I say debadge whatever you want. Just don't rebadge it as a higher model cause I think that's stupid.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
I am neither a boxing fan, nor a boxer

Sorry 05_TSX-GP... That was meant for 97AcuraCL!! Ma Bad.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NightShredder
People don't fly through windshields anymore because of the shatterproof glass coating that is used on the inside of the window. People just get crushed into their windshield and break bones, crush their skulls and stuff. I guess he would be pancaking himself not cannon balling.
Windshield glass is tempered, meaning it is made to break up into many small unsharp pieces, instead of shattering which could become literal flying death spears. Either way the glass will break because of the velocity of the human, which means that person will be thrown out of the car and killed because he was to ignorant to wear a seatbelt.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Top notch 6MT

Sorry 05_TSX-GP... That was meant for 97AcuraCL!! Ma Bad.
oh no worry... good thing I didn't go into :flaming: mode

I was overseas for a week with no 'net access, good to have a post to reply to upon my return
Old 07-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Top notch 6MT

oh no worry... good thing I didn't go into :flaming: mode

I was overseas for a week with no 'net access, good to have a post to reply to upon my return
oops... lost my smiley touch, no :flaming: but

Old 07-11-2005, 10:33 AM
LOUD NOISES!!

The main reason that it is illegal to rebadge the car is because of how it is registered. It is along the same lines of having your car repainted a different color. If your car is repainted and you don't notify the DMV, you can get a ticket, because when the VIN is decoded it will say something different. Also now you are leaving yourself a reason to get pulled over. The cops might think its a stolen car, or that the plates on it were stolen. Its alot more trouble than what its worth. If you are gonna rebadge it, i would think that you might have to re-register it.

And as far as pancaking against the windshield, that is grossly innaccurate. I have had the unpleasant job of reconstructing many accidents where drivers/passengers (front and rear) that have been enjected through the windshield. Wearing a seatbelt definately increases ones chance of surviving an auto accident, but doesnt guarantee anything.....
Old 07-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by TSX CSI
The main reason that it is illegal to rebadge the car is because of how it is registered. It is along the same lines of having your car repainted a different color. If your car is repainted and you don't notify the DMV, you can get a ticket, because when the VIN is decoded it will say something different. Also now you are leaving yourself a reason to get pulled over. The cops might think its a stolen car, or that the plates on it were stolen. Its alot more trouble than what its worth. If you are gonna rebadge it, i would think that you might have to re-register it.

And as far as pancaking against the windshield, that is grossly innaccurate. I have had the unpleasant job of reconstructing many accidents where drivers/passengers (front and rear) that have been enjected through the windshield. Wearing a seatbelt definately increases ones chance of surviving an auto accident, but doesnt guarantee anything.....
OK, point taken regarding rebadging vs the registration. I guess it would be a matter of how sensitive the local police is towards pulling over rebadged cars - assuming they know fully how a make/model car looks like in the first place.

who said anything about wearing seatbelt would guarantee anything But everyone knows wearing seatbelt > (safety) not wearing it. The talk about "no seatbelt = ejecting through windshield" was clearly NOT meant to be accurate... it was more of a figure of speech, clearly.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by massr1
Windshield glass is tempered, meaning it is made to break up into many small unsharp pieces, instead of shattering which could become literal flying death spears. Either way the glass will break because of the velocity of the human, which means that person will be thrown out of the car and killed because he was to ignorant to wear a seatbelt.
Windshields, by law, are all laminated. This safty feature lessens the chance of an object flying through the glass making it stronger. I am sure this is meant to protect the passengers. The glass might break (not always) and this is why it is tempered, but by the time the g force necessary to break the glass occurs, the person's head is most likely already crushed in before he/she is thrown from the car. Either way wearing your seatbelt protects you from injury more than not wearing it.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Top notch 6MT

Enough with the flying through windshield or not talk...

Let me try to bring this thread back on track by this question

Is DE-badging just as illegal (at least possibly trouble-causing) as RE-badging?? (assuming rebadging is indeed at least trouble-causing as explained earlier)

Quick Reply: Rebadging Illegal?