question for gulf coast/FL/hurricane area owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question for gulf coast/FL/hurricane area owners

sorry if this has already been brought up...

i'm living in new orleans now (post-katrina) and don't know what i would
do if there was another category 4/5 hurricane in the next 2 months. i don't want to leave my car (2006!), but with two other bigger cars available and an extended family, my car would not be the wisest choice. what would you do? leave it at a parking garage somewhere ahead of time? leave it at your house and pray? take it anyway? is it selfish to even think about this when thousands have lost everything? at the end of the day, i guess a car is always replaceable?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Intermediate

i live in FL, i dont have a TSX(yet ) but i have a fairly expensive truck... i live in a neighborhood with alot of OLD trees. so when i heard a hurricane was coming i parked my truck in my dads parking garage(he works for the county, so it requires a key card), 4-5th floor. so it was safe and sound.
i heard theres a tropical depression out there right now... Good Luck.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

not to sound like an a-hole but who cares... is your car ur life? i mean how do you drive around town thinking that at any time someone might crash into you and ur car would be gone. A car is a car.. no matter how much you paid for it a car will take you from point A to point B. I suggest you stop worrying about how/where your going to park your car during a hurricane..becuase there are bigger things to worry about. thats just my
Old 08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
If you can park it in a garage, I'd do that.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

I agree a garage or leave it at the airport garage. Last year we got hit with Wilma and we left the cars parked close together and far from the trees.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jerzpwr
not to sound like an a-hole but who cares... is your car ur life? i mean how do you drive around town thinking that at any time someone might crash into you and ur car would be gone. A car is a car.. no matter how much you paid for it a car will take you from point A to point B. I suggest you stop worrying about how/where your going to park your car during a hurricane..becuase there are bigger things to worry about. thats just my

Chill out he's just asking about those that have experienced a hurricane would do in the situation you need to leave. He spent his hard-earned money on the car and he wants to take steps to protect it. Even those that lost everything will go back and think of ways to protect their property when the next hurricane does come, and wished they did for Katrina. I'm sure if everyone could pick up their house and move it you would see everyone moving their entire house before a hurricane but they cant so they move what they can. Unless you've been through your fair share of category 4/5 hurricanes don't comment on what people should and shoud not be worrying about protecting during a hurricane.

nbp_9103 like everyone else yust park it up in a parking garage especially how N.O. is below sea-level park it as high as possible before you get to the top level and take the bigger cars and go where your going. I personally just park it outside away from things that could tip and pray nothing flies and falls on it. Or if I can get it inside ill do that but I dont really take any special steps toprotect the car.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Your right people cant just pick up their homes and move when a hurricane hits. That is why people get insurance. So as long as he has car insurance he shouldnt really worry about moving his car when a hurricane does hit. There are greater things to worry about (i.e. a persons life) rather than a "piece of metal". I never lived in a state where category 4/5 hurricanes hit so i cant really say how it would be to be in that situation. All i am saying is that if i were living in that area and a hurricane was nearing than i would think about getting out of the place safely rather than worrying about where to park my car. I didnt mean it to offend anyone or to be rude i was simply giving my 2cents.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jerzpwr
worring about other people crashing into you when you drive around town, and a hurricane are 2 totaly different things.

heres your back
Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by nbp_9103
i'm living in new orleans now (post-katrina)
It'd be pretty impressive if you were somehow able to be living in pre-Katrina New Orleans.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Time to Climb

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
fl weather can be a beast (i know from several personal experiences)! if you've got time, then park the car in a parking garage (cement/concrete structure). other than that, make sure you have good insurance and pray everything turns out ok.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

After going through 6 hurricanes in the past 2 years (yes, one of the reasons why I left FL), the best place I had my car was on the 4th floor of my parking garage in Miami. I had left it there for 2 of them, and in the other 4 hurricanes, it was parked outside. I was extremely lucky that, even with all of the really bad hurricanes, not even a scratch happened to my car when it was just sitting outside (and one was during Hurricane Charley, which was a Category 3/almost 4). I had seen many cars around mine that were not so lucky, though (trees down on them, debris that had made huge dents, etc). But if you have access to a garage, park it there. Not one that will flood, though... that's a whole other problem.