question for all you standard drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:28 AM
Noobie 6MT driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for all you standard drivers

I just notice the recent talk about driving standard and learning how to do it correctly, i thought i wouldn't look so bad asking some of these questions...

I, too, am a new standard driver, and the TSX is my first standard car...but after 200km of driving, i still can't get it right... ( myself)

1) I CAN'T LAUNCH SMOOTHLY!!!!!!!! It takes me an upward of 5 sec to get the car rolling..and can't stop the jerking and lunging either!! (haven't stalled yet though) pisses the people behind me!! I was taught using the no gas method. Let the clutch out till friction point...and as rpm drops, i give gas slowly, and simultaneously, let of clutch (slowly). It wasn't so bad while i was doing this in a Mazda 626...but on the TSX, i always jerked the car... am i doin sth wrong?? something i noticed that's new to me is the drive-by-wire throttle... sometimes i can't tell if i am applying the right amount of gas

2) Sometime when i see a stop up ahead, i usually brake until i am going very slow, and just put the clutch in and cruise to a stop...am i doing any damage??

3) Upshifting: this is not a big problem. the only thing is the jerking motion i get that's causing the passenger to . especially from 1st to 2nd. What i am doing is: rev to about 3k, put clutch in quickly, upshift, then let clutch out while doing my best to apply gas (once again, the drive-by-wire seems to be making this hard for me). i want to know if i should let out the clutch slowly when i finished shifting, out just let it out quick??

That's all i can think of now...the advance technique, i'll wait..

Sorry for asking these noobie questions... but any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dan
Old 10-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Do a search on the site for MT driving tips. You really should borrow some beater with an MT and practice on that before applying the technique on the TSX.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
In my opinion I don't think the no gas method is really a good idea for a car like the TSX. Hondas are generally a lot more sensitive to those things than say domestics or cars with more torque. I would just rev to 1,500 rpm and let go of the clutch. Thats just my opinion having driven a manual 90 Acura Integra and a manual Chevy Beretta. I stalled the Acura 100x more than I did the Chevy when I was driving and I was able to launch the Chevy smoother before I got the hang of the Acura.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

1. 5 secs? ouch. i blip the throttle, usually less than 1200 rpm, but i can get the car moving w/o using any gas as well. i usually give gas as i'm easing off the clutch, which has to be released slowly.

2. if you are pressing in the clutch while braking to cruise to a stop, you might as well shift into neutral as you are riding the clutch for no reason. depending on how fast i want to stop, i sometimes downshift to slow it down - when i downshift, i keep the rpms in the lower gear to about 2k to avoid jerking the car around.

this equates to roughly:
6th to 5th = 40 mph
5th to 4th = 30 mph
4th to 3rd = 20 mph
3rd to 2nd = less than 20mph

the majority of my driving is done on the highway, and when i exit, i usually downshift to 5th and cruise to a stop, where i then leave it in neutral

3. i hope you mean you take the car to 3k in 1st, then shift.
1st to 2nd is a common complaint on this forum and i don't know why. every manual car i have driven is the same.

key is = CLUTCH CONTROL. obviosly, the faster you let go of the clutch, the jerkier it is going to be.

my only suggestion would be to let go of the clutch slower, until you feel that the gear is completely in before you completely let go of the clutch.

sounds to me like you need to practice driving stick more. i learned how to drive stick in my tsx, and 30k miles later, i don't even have to think twice about driving.

in fact, i don't really look at the dash anymore, i can just tell what gear to be in by merely feeling the car.

good luck
Old 10-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Noobie 6MT driver

Yea, i did borrow a beater, which i mentioned in earlier post... i was doing fairly well... starting and shifting was relatively smooth, but on the TSX... i always jerked or lunged
Old 10-04-2004, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dzuy
key is = CLUTCH CONTROL. obviosly, the faster you let go of the clutch, the jerkier it is going to be.
Not entirely true. You do want to pull your clutch out reasonably fast, less wear on it. The trick is to find the sweet spot, match the engine revs, and fully disengage the clutch.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

200 KM? That's nothing. It honestly took me a few months of every day driving (~20 miles/day) before I was completely comfy driving a stick in my first car. You need to give yourself a little more time. I've seen too many cocky folks think they are experts after a week's worth of driving only to hear that they wrecked the car soon after. I had 10 years of driving experience with an automatic and that didn't really help me learn to drive a stick.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

....key is = CLUTCH CONTROL. obviosly, the faster you let go of the clutch, the jerkier it is going to be....
Not necessarily. The key is to release the pedal smooooothly (and it helps to match revs). If you're smooth, and revs are matched you can let it out as fast as you want.

To answer the questions:

1). 5 seconds is WAY TOO LONG. The no-gas method is a good thing to know, in general, but it's bad to do in real traffic. Give it some throttle from a stop. I usually rev to 1000-1500 RPM before doing anything w/ the clutch.

2). No damage. It's kind of weird to do this in high gears, though. Like if you're in 6th, coming to a stop you'll get down to idle RPMs, which isn't horrible but it's not the best thing in the world. Learn to downshift.

3). In order to avoid jerking, you must match revs! Learn what RPM your engine turns, at what speeds, in what gears. Let's say you're in 1st gear at 3500 RPM. Your shift to second will put you at about 2250 RPM. Hold your clutch pedal in and stay off the gas long enough for the engine to reach the desired RPM (glance at the tach, don't stare at it) and then release the clutch while using the gas to hold your desired RPM. You should get no jerking.

4). Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, PRACTICE! It'll take you more than 200km to get the finer points down, so don't be discouraged.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Here's some threads to read:
Some basics
Engine braking
Double clutching
Manual vs. Auto. Not necessary for learning. Some stuff about heel-toeing, etc. But VERY interesting. Probably one of the best, most mature discussions we've had on this site. Edit: Our good friend BIKER also made his first post here! Still think TSX sales are lackluster?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Not necessarily. The key is to release the pedal smooooothly (and it helps to match revs). If you're smooth, and revs are matched you can let it out as fast as you want.
I understand that, but by reading his post, i'm assuming he's not rev matching, and that is why he is bogging out.

it sounds like he is depressing the clutch too quickly as compared to the amount of gas he is applying.

bottom line - once you drive a stick - you can drive any other stick car. period.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Noobie 6MT driver

O man, thanks for the tips and advice.
and thanks Clutchperformer for the insightful reply
you guys are the best!!

i guess i'll just keep practising everyday
Old 10-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by TSXDude
O man, thanks for the tips and advice.
and thanks Clutchperformer for the insightful reply
you guys are the best!!

i guess i'll just keep practising everyday
hey what about saying thanks to me?

practice is all it take man, once you learn your car, you'll be ok.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Here's some threads to read:
Some basics
Engine braking
Double clutching
Manual vs. Auto. Not necessary for learning. Some stuff about heel-toeing, etc. But VERY interesting. Probably one of the best, most mature discussions we've had on this site. Edit: Our good friend BIKER also made his first post here! Still think TSX sales are lackluster?
Mods! Can we get these threads in the FAQ, please?!?!?!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Noobie 6MT driver

hey what about saying thanks to me?

practice is all it take man, once you learn your car, you'll be ok.
Lol sorry dzuy
thank you too, hope i don't kill my new ride...

i guess i am just being paranoid, because i love the TSX so much... also, this is my first car that i purchased
Old 10-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Instead of the "no-gas" method you may want to try the following:

1. rev to 1500 with the clutch in
2. once at 1500RPM maintain throttle
3. slowly release the clutch (you'll feel the contact point, the revs will slowly drop due to load being applied but the car will start moving)
4. continue to slowly release the clutch all the way till.

After doing this for a while you'll get the feel for the contact point. You'll also learn to rev it lower initially but then giving it more throttle as the clutch makes contact and engages. Don't worry it takes a little time but once you learn it you'll do it without thinking.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

if you really want to get going quick...

1. rev to 3500 rpm
2. drop the clutch
3. slam the gas simaltaneously as you do #2.
4. say goodbye to your tranny and tires

haha, i'm just kidding. don't do that.

note: those AT wouldn't understand esp cgtsx2004
Old 10-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you really want to get going quick...

1. rev to 3500 rpm
2. drop the clutch
3. slam the gas simaltaneously as you do #2.
4. say goodbye to your tranny and tires

haha, i'm just kidding. don't do that.

note: those AT wouldn't understand esp cgtsx2004
I do that at every stop...Whats the problem?

Old 10-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by joerockt
I do that at every stop...Whats the problem?

everyone HAS to do it at least once

it's pretty fun.