Question about navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about navigation system

Hey all, I have a question about the navigation system. Do you have to pay an annual fee, or do you just pay $2000 for the system and only buy the new dvd each year if you want to?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
You want me to break it?

$2000 up front cost, around $200 every few years for an updated dvd. Thats it - GPS signal is free
Old 03-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Gpump
$2000 up front cost, around $200 every few years for an updated dvd. Thats it - GPS signal is free
So it's basically free after the $2000? You only pay $200 bucks IF you want to get a new DVD?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
yep
Old 03-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Dan Martin
yep
Awesome, thx for the help guys.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Superman

Talking

Why is there such a high percentage of people who believe that GPS navigation involves some sort of subscription? From my personal surveys, I found that many think the satellites are somehow visually tracking you and that must cost money. Of course it makes no sense trying to explain how GPS works, not everybody is technically inclined (which is not necessarily a bad thing). Some even avoid buying handheld units fearing that they'll have to pay a subscription.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stanekfelix
Why is there such a high percentage of people who believe that GPS navigation involves some sort of subscription? From my personal surveys, I found that many think the satellites are somehow visually tracking you and that must cost money. Of course it makes no sense trying to explain how GPS works, not everybody is technically inclined (which is not necessarily a bad thing). Some even avoid buying handheld units fearing that they'll have to pay a subscription.
There is talk about making it subscription based. Of course the GPS signal is free and always will be, but the thinking is that there will no longer be a DVD - the map data will be beamed down via satellite. This would allow for more frequent updates, but I hate the idea. I don't need another monthly subscription to pay. I hope Honda/Acura chooses NOT to adopt this idea, but it IS being discussed by the navi/automotive industry for the future.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Because we are used to paying up the arse for any service.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The European Galileo system will be fee based. How they expect to compete with the free GPS signal is beyond me. It is supposed to be more accurate then the unlcassified GPS signal, but will that be worth paying for?? The system is still in development and is years from being in service.

http://www.esa.int/esaNA/GGGMX650NDC_index_0.html
Old 04-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The European Galileo system will be fee based. How they expect to compete with the free GPS signal is beyond me. It is supposed to be more accurate then the unlcassified GPS signal, but will that be worth paying for?? The system is still in development and is years from being in service.

http://www.esa.int/esaNA/GGGMX650NDC_index_0.html
There was also a lot of concern that it would interfere with GPS or be used to attack the US. If the EU launches any satellites that disrupt GPS, expect a few ASAT missiles to be flying that way. GPS is controlled by the US. The public band can be turned off at any time (in the event of a war, etc.), restricting GPS usage to the US military and its allies ONLY. Remember that GPS is primarily a military application, and our car nav systems are just reaping the benefits of this. We are not entitled to GPS though; it is not a "public utility." Therein is the threat from Gallileo - it is a system operated by potential enemies of the US (EU, China, Russia), and as much as they may claim that it is for civilian purposes, it is clearly intended for military purposes in direct opposition to the US (after all, if they weren't fighting against us, their access to GPS wouldn't be denied. This is a subtle threat.) Anyway, don't expect the argument over Gallileo to just fade away.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Beoshingus
There was also a lot of concern that it would interfere with GPS or be used to attack the US. If the EU launches any satellites that disrupt GPS, expect a few ASAT missiles to be flying that way. GPS is controlled by the US. The public band can be turned off at any time (in the event of a war, etc.), restricting GPS usage to the US military and its allies ONLY. Remember that GPS is primarily a military application, and our car nav systems are just reaping the benefits of this. We are not entitled to GPS though; it is not a "public utility." Therein is the threat from Gallileo - it is a system operated by potential enemies of the US (EU, China, Russia), and as much as they may claim that it is for civilian purposes, it is clearly intended for military purposes in direct opposition to the US (after all, if they weren't fighting against us, their access to GPS wouldn't be denied. This is a subtle threat.) Anyway, don't expect the argument over Gallileo to just fade away.
The frequency conflict has been resolved. The Clinton Administration created a policy to make it more difficult to cut off the civilian GPS system. So many people now depend on it, including civil aircraft navigation, that it would be a huge problem to cut it off. And while the EU's policy is to NOT use thier system for military purposes, there is really no way to stop it.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The frequency conflict has been resolved. The Clinton Administration created a policy to make it more difficult to cut off the civilian GPS system. So many people now depend on it, including civil aircraft navigation, that it would be a huge problem to cut it off. And while the EU's policy is to NOT use thier system for military purposes, there is really no way to stop it.
Yep, this is true. Clinton was also responsible for allowing unlimited civilian accuracy of 3 meters. Nice for us drivers, but also nice for terrorist smart bombs.