Question about a BMW 3-series

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:00 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about a BMW 3-series

Calling all BMW fans (Buff-Daddy i know youre out there) I am asking this for a friend who owns a 325i. She cant figure out how to have the stock CD player display the track time while playing CDs. Is this even possible? if not, why would BMW leave this option off...
Old 11-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question about a BMW 3-series

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
Calling all BMW fans (Buff-Daddy i know youre out there) I am asking this for a friend who owns a 325i. She cant figure out how to have the stock CD player display the track time while playing CDs. Is this even possible? if not, why would BMW leave this option off...
hmmm, maybe that's why Acura did that too in the TSX - to be like BMW
Old 11-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Jersey ---> Maryland

my bros 328i doesnt display time.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:19 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Question about a BMW 3-series

Originally posted by jcg878
hmmm, maybe that's why Acura did that too in the TSX - to be like BMW
Not sure about your TSX, but mine displays the track time on the navi (audio screen)...non-navi owners dont get this option?

Cant the LED display on the top dash be changed to display the track time?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro

What year is her 325i? To be honest, I am not sure if this is displayed on either one of our vehicles. I have the X5 today, but if I get a chance, I will run out and check. Otherwise, I am sure it would mention something in the manual if this were possible? I haven't been listening to too many CD's lately now that downloading and burning off of the internet is getting a little scary.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: Re: Re: Question about a BMW 3-series

Not sure about your TSX, but mine displays the track time on the navi (audio screen)...non-navi owners dont get this option?
Nope, it only displays when you are scanning in a track.

Cant the LED display on the top dash be changed to display the track time?
That's just a clock for us, nothing more.

Pretty lame, huh?
Old 11-11-2003, 01:11 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Another question about a 3-series. My coworker has a 323i, and I had to give him a jump-start the other day because he left his lights on all day (it was raining pretty bad that morning). Do BMW's have any auto-off feature for the lights? That kind of surprised me, since even my 1994 Camry had that.

Also, we found that the battery was in the trunk, but the terminals (the positive one, at least) are under the hood.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Count Blah
Another question about a 3-series. My coworker has a 323i, and I had to give him a jump-start the other day because he left his lights on all day (it was raining pretty bad that morning). Do BMW's have any auto-off feature for the lights? That kind of surprised me, since even my 1994 Camry had that.

Also, we found that the battery was in the trunk, but the terminals (the positive one, at least) are under the hood.
BMW's now have 3 settings for the lights, I keep mine on the automatic setting which turns them on and off as needed depending on the outside lighting conditions. This setting automatically turns off the lights when you cut the ignition. I have slightly newer models years with Xenons though, so it might be different on his.
I was told that BMW moved the battery and gas tank to the right rear portion of the vehicle after crash data showed that this area was hit the least in accidents. Less chance for an explosion and/or fire. They leave contacts up front for convenience.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:58 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
I was told that BMW moved the battery and gas tank to the right rear portion of the vehicle after crash data showed that this area was hit the least in accidents. Less chance for an explosion and/or fire. They leave contacts up front for convenience.
I also figured it was to improve weight balance. How much does a typical battery weigh?
Old 11-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Pro

I also figured it was to improve weight balance. How much does a typical battery weigh?
30-40lbs?
Old 11-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Pro

OK, RogerPodacter, I forgot all about this again last night, but I remembered as I was driving in this morning. I have the X5 again today, it is a 2002 and does NOT have the HK stereo upgrade or navigation system. My display does not show the running track time either and I am sure that would be the case for our 3-Series as well. I am not sure it it can be programmed or not, but I know I don't need to see it...
Old 11-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
BMW's now have 3 settings for the lights, I keep mine on the automatic setting which turns them on and off as needed depending on the outside lighting conditions. This setting automatically turns off the lights when you cut the ignition. I have slightly newer models years with Xenons though, so it might be different on his.
I think it might be dependent on your Pathway Lighting settings???
Old 11-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Advanced

I test drove a 325i in my car search, and that was one of the first things the salesman showed me. I thought that was a very strange feature to highlight. I figured it would be more important during checkout at purchase time, then during a demo/test drive.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:28 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by tirebiter
I test drove a 325i in my car search, and that was one of the first things the salesman showed me. I thought that was a very strange feature to highlight. I figured it would be more important during checkout at purchase time, then during a demo/test drive.
Is the rear compartment the location of the battery in the BMW "Touring" (wagon) models too? Because I'm not sure that I'd pick that as the very safest location in case of a rollover.

The "early" Porsche 944s had the battery in the rear compartment, but in the "late" 944s the battery had migrated forward to the engine compartment. Porsche was very concerned with weight distribution in the 944, which had a front engine but a rear transmission like the current Corvette. Apparently even they finally figured the battery weight was insignificant. Old 911s had batteries in the front trunk, I always thought that was to prevent them from being "cooked" by the hotter air-cooled motor. The weight distribution was just an added feature.