A Pet Peeve About Comparing The Tsx To Other Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:16 AM
iVTEC no koe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
price alone doesn't define class.. i just don't buy that argument. the fact that a stripped BMW is the same price as a loaded TSX doesnt guarantee they are direct competitors. people want the options. so compare apples to apples. that's my PEEVE about comparing the TSX to other cars.

when i bought mine, i had people saying to me "but you could get a lexus or a bmw for a few thousand more?" and i'm like.....yeah, but not with all the options...
Yeah, I got that too. My aunt was like "wow, you almost paid as much as I did for my Benz". It's a C230 Kompressor Coupe, so I'm like "You've got no HIDs, no leather and an interior that screams 1990s." I really could care less about Brand/Class like those "I drive a BMW/Benz" type people, as long as TSX was exactly the same, I would've bought the TSX if it was the USDM Accord.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HoRRo
Yeah, I got that too. My aunt was like "wow, you almost paid as much as I did for my Benz". It's a C230 Kompressor Coupe, so I'm like "You've got no HIDs, no leather and an interior that screams 1990s." I really could care less about Brand/Class like those "I drive a BMW/Benz" type people, as long as TSX was exactly the same, I would've bought the TSX if it was the USDM Accord.
i still stand by my thoughts that this car could have any badge on it, i like this car that much.

now a lesser quality company, then i'd be worried. but being out for 3 years with few problems would be enough for me. hyndai is winning me over as far as quality......design....that's a different story.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t...6&page=1&pp=30
Old 01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by bgillette
I see a lot of threads comparing the TSX to civics, altimas, accords, mazdas and other little ricer cars like sentra type r's.

I have a major issue with that.

People say "oh this car is way faster than the TSX"

Well NO SHIT....a v6 with 240hp and 100lbs more tq is going to be faster than a car with only 200hp and 168lbs of tq. Any idiot could tell you that. But did you really buyor consider a tsx for its speed? Are you really considering a tsx because you want a car that can blow the doors off people?

I test drove the v6 altima before buying my TSX...yes the engine was great in the nissan ...but seriously...that car outside and inside is a peice of crap compared to the quality of the TSX.

The people who buy a TSX buy it because they want something that had LUXURY with that little added sporty edge to it. The 200hp is enough to get it moving pretty good and if you know how to drive you can blow most people's doors off because they drive so damn slow.....and the interior is something that SHOULD be compared to Lexus and BMW NOT a freakin sentra or altima...

If you want to compare engines in different lines of cars compare the Altima Type SE-R to the Acura TL.....

If you want to compare cars you should understand what a cars purpose is....

the TSX is not built for SPEED...its built for Luxury with a sporty appeal!
Annoying -- YES. But also unavoidable.

Something you'll find interesting: Go to www.edmunds.com and find the TSX. In the following screens, you'll be able to see an option "Compare with other cars in same category." Select that option and this is what you'll see setup as the default comparison in the TSX's class:
- Audi A4 2.0T
- BMW 325
- Lexus IS250
- Mercedes C230

In my opinion, these are the cars the TSX was designed to compete with. Even Edmunds.com doesn't compare them offhand to the Altima, Jetta, Pinto, etc.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Annoying -- YES. But also unavoidable.

Something you'll find interesting: Go to www.edmunds.com and find the TSX. In the following screens, you'll be able to see an option "Compare with other cars in same category." Select that option and this is what you'll see setup as the default comparison in the TSX's class:
- Audi A4 2.0T
- BMW 325
- Lexus IS250
- Mercedes C230

In my opinion, these are the cars the TSX was designed to compete with. Even Edmunds.com doesn't compare them offhand to the Altima, Jetta, Pinto, etc.

Very good point Black_6spd.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
In regard to the original post of this thread...anyone who wants to "blow someone's doors off" and buys an Altima or Sentra SE-R for 25k should have their head examined. If you want to go fast for 25k you need to look at a car like a GTO. Low 13s right out of the box. 04s can be had for ~20 and 05s for ~23-25.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
In regard to the original post of this thread...anyone who wants to "blow someone's doors off" and buys an Altima or Sentra SE-R for 25k should have their head examined. If you want to go fast for 25k you need to look at a car like a GTO. Low 13s right out of the box. 04s can be had for ~20 and 05s for ~23-25.
Heck, for even less than that, they could just buy a Camaro and spank everyone in a straight line, including Corvettes.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Someone already probably mentioned this but...
When comparing two cars if all your are comparing is the HP/torque then your are not truely comparing the cars for all their merits. As it's been said the TSX is not a speed demon (unless supercharged ). Alot of people mainly shun the TSX because it's a Luxury Sports Sedan without the qualifying "Sport" aspects of higher HP and RWD. So it's all word play to them.

If you want to go fast .... go ahead, go fast, and buy the fastest car you can buy and forget about the luxury and quality of Acura/Honda.

I came from a 01 Prelude and I think that 200 HP (05 TSX) is plenty for me. I didn't buy the car to race people. The issue is alot of the enthusiast crowd concentrate on SPEED and POWER. Just look at the metrics of all the arguments that anti-tsx people have. It's not "sucky interior", "sucky handing", "sucky stereo", "sucky Nav", "sucky HID lights"...no it's Speed and Power complaints.

That's fine, it's a free country.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cusetsx
I came from a 01 Prelude and I think that 200 HP (05 TSX) is plenty for me. I didn't buy the car to race people. The issue is alot of the enthusiast crowd concentrate on SPEED and POWER. Just look at the metrics of all the arguments that anti-tsx people have. It's not "sucky interior", "sucky handing", "sucky stereo", "sucky Nav", "sucky HID lights"...no it's Speed and Power complaints.

That's fine, it's a free country.
true...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Advanced

TSX is a great car - no comparison

I just test drove a MAZDASPEED6, 2.3L DISI Turbo w/ All Wheel drive and 6 speed Manual. It rocked, the car is great. But I would not want to drive one everyday. First, it is huge, I could not belive the size of it. Second, it is manual only. Third, no tech features like the Acura. The base model has nothing but a BOSE radio and Satellite and cost the same as a TSX with Navigation. I left the Mazda Dealer after the 3 mile test drive w/ the salesman and went right over to the Acura Dealer. The Acura saleman gave me the keys to new TSX and a tag and told me to take the car for 30 minutes or overnight if I wanted! they just photocopied my license and off I went. i drove the car for over 30 minutes, whne I brought it back they were totally cool and relaxed. I absolutely loved the car.
The TSX is so much more refined. everything about it is class, smooth, attractive. all of the features, navi, bluetooth phone, leather, moonroof, the list goes on. It is more compact, rides and handles like a dream. I can live with the lower power, besides with just few simple mods the car can have musch improved hp, TQ and throttle resonse. I dont mind spending a little money to ehnance the power in a car that is miles away better than anything else in this price range. I put my money down for a Nighthawk Black / Ebony AT w/ Navi TSX.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby

GTO.........i just think this car is a joke. no character at all to the design of it. great engine, will go fast as hell, but if you want a GTO, you gotta go further back than 04........

if you want a new muscle car that at least looks cool, mustang is the only way to go. GTO and Charger designers should be executed.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced

TSX is a great car - no comparison P.S.

P.S. The TSX just beat out the MAZDASPEED6 in the everyday hereos comparo in Car and Driver. they had the same complaints about the Mazda, they love the power and speed but felt it lacked the class, grace and features of the TSX for the Price. Then they said how much they loved the TSX (3 years 10 Best winner) but wished that it had 20 - 30 more HP.
Add a header, and new intake, and ECU refalsh and you can make that easy.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Dashersonic
I just test drove a MAZDASPEED6, 2.3L DISI Turbo w/ All Wheel drive and 6 speed Manual. It rocked, the car is great. But I would not want to drive one everyday. First, it is huge, I could not belive the size of it. Second, it is manual only. Third, no tech features like the Acura. The base model has nothing but a BOSE radio and Satellite and cost the same as a TSX with Navigation. I left the Mazda Dealer after the 3 mile test drive w/ the salesman and went right over to the Acura Dealer. The Acura saleman gave me the keys to new TSX and a tag and told me to take the car for 30 minutes or overnight if I wanted! they just photocopied my license and off I went. i drove the car for over 30 minutes, whne I brought it back they were totally cool and relaxed. I absolutely loved the car.
The TSX is so much more refined. everything about it is class, smooth, attractive. all of the features, navi, bluetooth phone, leather, moonroof, the list goes on. It is more compact, rides and handles like a dream. I can live with the lower power, besides with just few simple mods the car can have musch improved hp, TQ and throttle resonse. I dont mind spending a little money to ehnance the power in a car that is miles away better than anything else in this price range. I put my money down for a Nighthawk Black / Ebony AT w/ Navi TSX.
what NJ dealer was so relaxed? just curious...since i've heard some bad stories and experienced one at some NJ dealers.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:19 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Ummm concept car but still......
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/...enger-concept/
Old 01-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Still Lovin my 06

now that is sweet!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
P.S. The TSX just beat out the MAZDASPEED6 in the everyday hereos comparo in Car and Driver. they had the same complaints about the Mazda, they love the power and speed but felt it lacked the class, grace and features of the TSX for the Price. Then they said how much they loved the TSX (3 years 10 Best winner) but wished that it had 20 - 30 more HP.
Add a header, and new intake, and ECU refalsh and you can make that easy.
Stop teasing the 06 owners. Reflash, thus far, is only available for 04 which came from the factory with approx. 13 horses fewer than the 06 that was included in that review.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradykp
what NJ dealer was so relaxed? just curious...since i've heard some bad stories and experienced one at some NJ dealers.

Park Avenue Acura on 17 in Paramus, also gave me the lowest price I could find on a 06' with Navi.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Advanced

I love the way they say "Their source is unclear, but they certainly appear to be authentic" Those pictures are out of the latest issue of Car and Driver!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlukja
Stop teasing the 06 owners. Reflash, thus far, is only available for 04 which came from the factory with approx. 13 horses fewer than the 06 that was included in that review.
True, and it remains to be seen if it will actually be needed with the 06'. from the articles and info I have been reading it seems that ACURA made most of the modifications to the engine that aftermarket tuners were doing. They made several imrovements to the breathing, the intake, cams and exhaust have all been improved for 06'. So for those of us interested in a little better performance than the 205hp, we should be able to see reasonable gains without the ECU reflash, just by adding an intake like the Comptech or Mugen and a header. However, I am sure that it won't take Hondata too long to come up with a reflash for the 06' since it should only take a little modification over the 04-05' programming they have already done.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:16 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

I love the way they say "Their source is unclear, but they certainly appear to be authentic" Those pictures are out of the latest issue of Car and Driver!
True he could be hyping it (it's a blog afterall), but maybe he got those pictures from someone before the mag was released. Eh still a hot lookin' car either way.