A Pet Peeve About Comparing The Tsx To Other Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Pet Peeve About Comparing The Tsx To Other Cars

I see a lot of threads comparing the TSX to civics, altimas, accords, mazdas and other little ricer cars like sentra type r's.

I have a major issue with that.

People say "oh this car is way faster than the TSX"

Well NO SHIT....a v6 with 240hp and 100lbs more tq is going to be faster than a car with only 200hp and 168lbs of tq. Any idiot could tell you that. But did you really buyor consider a tsx for its speed? Are you really considering a tsx because you want a car that can blow the doors off people?

I test drove the v6 altima before buying my TSX...yes the engine was great in the nissan ...but seriously...that car outside and inside is a peice of crap compared to the quality of the TSX.

The people who buy a TSX buy it because they want something that had LUXURY with that little added sporty edge to it. The 200hp is enough to get it moving pretty good and if you know how to drive you can blow most people's doors off because they drive so damn slow.....and the interior is something that SHOULD be compared to Lexus and BMW NOT a freakin sentra or altima...

If you want to compare engines in different lines of cars compare the Altima Type SE-R to the Acura TL.....

If you want to compare cars you should understand what a cars purpose is....

the TSX is not built for SPEED...its built for Luxury with a sporty appeal!
Old 01-03-2006, 02:55 PM
iVTEC no koe

I agree on that point about comparing the TSX to every single car out there, quite annoying to see it every other week.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what can you do, you know?...

the tsx is kinda middle-ground between the base brands and the luxury brands.

on one end, the tsx may not have the drive-wheel configuration and displacement as, say, a bmw. but, the tsx does have features/ammenities that are not available in say, altima se-r's, jetta gli's, etc...

i'm cool with car comparisons. i think it makes for interesting reading. but, once it gets hostile, and fanboys come out, that's when threads/articles go downhill...

i don't see a point arguing with someone over the design of a grill, brand prestige, etc...

but mature discussions of chassis and suspension set-up, engine design, etc. are cool with me, even though i am not technical in those areas...
Old 01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

I hate it when people try and compare the TSX to this!
http://www.inet.hr/~bpauric/enovi.htm
:wink:
Old 01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bgillette
Well NO SHIT....a v6 with 240hp and 100lbs more tq is going to be faster than a car with only 200hp and 168lbs of tq. Any idiot could tell you that.
Not much to say here...
Old 01-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Racer

LOL good one cusetsx

I love good discussions too....

its the ones that say "I drove a car today and its way faster than the TSX"

thats the kind of stuff that annoys me

now if you want to compare quality of leather or quality of materials used to make the dash....or something like that...then thats cool because thats something you can compare...

but a 240hp engine vs a 200hp engine....well thats just dumb
Old 01-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cusetsx
I hate it when people try and compare the TSX to this!
http://www.inet.hr/~bpauric/enovi.htm
:wink:
haha...
Old 01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Drifting

LOL good one cusetsx

I love good discussions too....

its the ones that say "I drove a car today and its way faster than the TSX"

thats the kind of stuff that annoys me

now if you want to compare quality of leather or quality of materials used to make the dash....or something like that...then thats cool because thats something you can compare...

but a 240hp engine vs a 200hp engine....well thats just dumb
i hear ya...

but, a lot of discussions are based on personal experiences from test drives, etc. so, i think it's hard to avoid the "i test drove the..." comments, b/c, i think they are valid too...
Old 01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Racer

It was really the nissan Altima SE-R post that fired me up about comparing the TSX to other cars because the SE-R is not even close to the same class of car

here is part of the post....

"Hey guys, well right now am in shock . I was going to order a 06 TSX but today i went with my friend to test drive a Altima SE-R because he wants to buy one. I am very impress with this car. This car is waaaaaay faster than the TSX well i kinda figure that but when i drove it it felt alot faster than what i thought."

The TSX should be talked about with the following cars:
1. BMW 325
2. Audi A4
3. Lexus IS 250
4. Infinity G35 (maybe a stretch but I drove it and quite honestly it cannot touch the TSX in quality)
5. Mercedes-Benz C230
6. Saab 9-3 2.0T
7. Volvo S40 T5

Those cars are in the same "class" and honestly the TSX would get the best over all score in my book (thats why I bought it over those cars)
Old 01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I agree totally. The TSX comparisons lately are like comparing apples to oragnes.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Drifting

^

haha...

just take a look at the bmw/lexus forums, and some members there will be saying the exact same thing this thread is...

"our 325/is250 should not be compared to the tsx, b/c, a tsx is just a glorified accord."

shit, these kind of responses are on "tsx vs gli" threads in vw forums too...

but, according to acura press releases, the tsx is marketed to compete against the 325 and a4, and among others, whether bmw and audi owners like it or not...
Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Racer

they are mad because they OVER PAIDED for a car that isnt as good as a TSX...

and they are idiots for saying a car with about the same HP and Price tag shouldnt be compared....
Old 01-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Got Ramen?

look, no matter what, there will always be other ppl who will bash a particular make or model. personal opinions are subjective; love it or hate it; fanboys, etc...

it sux when one compares the TSX to higher brands or cheaper cars but i mocked the ppl at freshalloy for their naivity.

if ur sick of hearing this or that, then be like all the other ignorant "regular" car consumers: buy the car based on price and practicality alone; don't read about cars; don't subscibe to car forums or ones that are made for enthusiasts; tune it all out... dont use the internet in short! if u don't wanna read any negatives about what other ppl think about the TSX, then why are you reading about the TSX on other car enthusiast sites anyway? you know what ur getting urself into by reading other forums. (bmw 3 owners forum; subaru... nissan z forums... c'mon...the title of the forum gives it away how these posters will react...it's all biased opinions)
Old 01-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Racer

and they are idiots for saying a car with about the same HP and Price tag shouldnt be compared....
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......COLD BLOODED!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!

Old 01-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
what can you do, you know?...

the tsx is kinda middle-ground between the base brands and the luxury brands.

on one end, the tsx may not have the drive-wheel configuration and displacement as, say, a bmw. but, the tsx does have features/ammenities that are not available in say, altima se-r's, jetta gli's, etc...

i'm cool with car comparisons. i think it makes for interesting reading. but, once it gets hostile, and fanboys come out, that's when threads/articles go downhill...

i don't see a point arguing with someone over the design of a grill, brand prestige, etc...

but mature discussions of chassis and suspension set-up, engine design, etc. are cool with me, even though i am not technical in those areas...
Well said.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Racer

I prefer this one

hahahaha
Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TypeRS
look, no matter what, there will always be other ppl who will bash a particular make or model. personal opinions are subjective; love it or hate it; fanboys, etc...

it sux when one compares the TSX to higher brands or cheaper cars but i mocked the ppl at freshalloy for their naivity.

if ur sick of hearing this or that, then be like all the other ignorant "regular" car consumers: buy the car based on price and practicality alone; don't read about cars; don't subscibe to car forums or ones that are made for enthusiasts; tune it all out... dont use the internet in short! if u don't wanna read any negatives about what other ppl think about the TSX, then why are you reading about the TSX on other car enthusiast sites anyway? you know what ur getting urself into by reading other forums. (bmw 3 owners forum; subaru... nissan z forums... c'mon...the title of the forum gives it away how these posters will react...it's all biased opinions)
good points.

maybe it is ignorance that's the issue here, not biases...

i think i am bias, but i don't think that i'm ignorant to the fact that there are a lot of nice cars out there, regardless of brand, price, class, etc...
Old 01-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with bgillette. The actual cars that buyers should be comparing the TSX to are the 325, the IS250, A4, S40 T5, 9-3, and the Benz C230. I wouldn't say that it competes with the G35... that's more TL territory.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Advanced

I considered Lexus and BMW, but ended up with the TSX because (in my opinion) it had more features and quality with equivalent performance for LESS cost. No way I was going to spend $5-10 K more for a fully loaded BMW or Lexus when I could get the TSX (loaded) for much, much less.

Comparing the TSX to crappy Nissans is a waste of time...
Old 01-03-2006, 06:50 PM
7thGenAccord

maybe it has something to do with the price of the TSX?? IS250,325i,c230,etc. are almost 10k more than the TSX.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:16 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

The TSX is one of the best, if not the best, handling and balanced front drive car in the world. The TSX has one of the most highly technological, if not the best, 4 cylinder normally aspirated engines in the world.

Bring the comparisons about price, size, power, quality......forget about the relativism this car stands on its own.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:45 PM
CGP Ebony

Its all Good! The TSX is just being "PlayaHated"

It happens to all things that are good!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xjdmb16a2six
maybe it has something to do with the price of the TSX?? IS250,325i,c230,etc. are almost 10k more than the TSX.

I picked all of those cars because feature wise, engine wise, and performace wise they are all in the same "class"

You can get each of those cars for around 30000......

now what "options" you actually get for 30000....well thats another story
Old 01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jfbradley
I considered Lexus and BMW, but ended up with the TSX because (in my opinion) it had more features and quality with equivalent performance for LESS cost. No way I was going to spend $5-10 K more for a fully loaded BMW or Lexus when I could get the TSX (loaded) for much, much less.

Comparing the TSX to crappy Nissans is a waste of time...

AMEN BROTHER
Old 01-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Still Lovin my 06

It was really the nissan Altima SE-R post that fired me up about comparing the TSX to other cars because the SE-R is not even close to the same class of car

here is part of the post....

"Hey guys, well right now am in shock . I was going to order a 06 TSX but today i went with my friend to test drive a Altima SE-R because he wants to buy one. I am very impress with this car. This car is waaaaaay faster than the TSX well i kinda figure that but when i drove it it felt alot faster than what i thought."

1. BMW 325
2. Audi A4
3. Lexus IS 250
4. Infinity G35 (maybe a stretch but I drove it and quite honestly it cannot touch the TSX in quality)
5. Mercedes-Benz C230
6. Saab 9-3 2.0T
7. Volvo S40 T5

Those cars are in the same "class" and honestly the TSX would get the best over all score in my book (thats why I bought it over those cars)
go over to the IS forum and they think the TSX shouldn't be compared to the IS250, the BMW 3 or the Infinity G35. They almost have a point, since they are a step above in luxury, and come in RWD.

I'm not saying i don't think the TSX is a rival to these cars, but you have to understand: The TSX is neither equal to the above mentioned cars no equal to the cars like the altima, the mazda 6, or the other cars it's been tested against. It's actually almost directly in between these two groups of cars.

Obviously, arguments can be made (and i make them) as to why the TSX is a MUCH better option that the IS250, or the BMW 3, but most of these arguments are based on price. Because honestly, if those other cars were a little closes in price, we probably wouldn't think the TSX was such a great "bang for your buck" car.

But it is. It's a nice car, and it seems like the people who end up looking at it either were looking at cars that cost a little bit less, but were lacking a lot compared to the price difference. Or the other group of people who were looking a little bit more expensive, and decided that the TSX was such a great value with so many options for around 30 grand, that they couldn't justify spending 35-40-45 on a car that really didn't offer much more, except for RWD, which at this power, really doesn't give you that great of a return.

You're going to have to accept that people shopping the TSX are shopping other cars such as the Altima, the Mazda 6, as well as the IS250, the BMW 325, the Audi A4......

just put your into the thread, but try to be objective. because god knows those over at lexus IS forum (some) were not being very objective. And maybe i was a little guilty of bias too, but that's cause they started pissing me off.....
Old 01-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bradykp
go over to the IS forum and they think the TSX shouldn't be compared to the IS250, the BMW 3 or the Infinity G35. They almost have a point, since they are a step above in luxury, and come in RWD.

I'm not saying i don't think the TSX is a rival to these cars, but you have to understand: The TSX is neither equal to the above mentioned cars no equal to the cars like the altima, the mazda 6, or the other cars it's been tested against. It's actually almost directly in between these two groups of cars.

Obviously, arguments can be made (and i make them) as to why the TSX is a MUCH better option that the IS250, or the BMW 3, but most of these arguments are based on price. Because honestly, if those other cars were a little closes in price, we probably wouldn't think the TSX was such a great "bang for your buck" car.

But it is. It's a nice car, and it seems like the people who end up looking at it either were looking at cars that cost a little bit less, but were lacking a lot compared to the price difference. Or the other group of people who were looking a little bit more expensive, and decided that the TSX was such a great value with so many options for around 30 grand, that they couldn't justify spending 35-40-45 on a car that really didn't offer much more, except for RWD, which at this power, really doesn't give you that great of a return.

You're going to have to accept that people shopping the TSX are shopping other cars such as the Altima, the Mazda 6, as well as the IS250, the BMW 325, the Audi A4......

just put your into the thread, but try to be objective. because god knows those over at lexus IS forum (some) were not being very objective. And maybe i was a little guilty of bias too, but that's cause they started pissing me off.....

1. BMW 325I MSRP$30,900 INVOICE $28,300

2. Audi A4 2.0T MSRP$27,640 INVOICE $25,497

3. Lexus IS 250 MSRP$29,990 INVOICE$26,389

4. Infinity G35 (maybe a stretch but I drove it and quite honestly it cannot touch the TSX in quality) MSRP$31,050 INVOICE$28,563

5. Mercedes-Benz C230 MSRP$29,200 INVOICE$27,156

6. Saab 9-3 2.0T MSRP$25,900 INVOICE $24,434

7. Volvo S40 T5 MSRP$26,615 INVOICE$25,053

THE TSX MSRP$27,890

So where is your HUGE PRICE difference that sets the TSX at an "inbetween" level from these cars....Why do you say they are a "step above" the TSX.....look right here at the MSRP and INVOICE numbers....the TSX is in this class of cars based on PRICE, HP, FEATURES..hell....everything points to the TSX being right in this class of cars...not higher or lower.....

( I would concede to take out the G35 and put it with the TL because of the amount of HP)
Old 01-03-2006, 09:26 PM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

2. Audi A4
I also seriously considered the new Passat as well, but we already have a B5.
It is a nice alternative, especially the VR6, but all the options add up to the level of a TL or more.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

Nobody buys a A4 base. With navi, technology & audio packages, it comes to $35k easily.

We passed on Passat & A4 for the same reason. Poor service in our local area. Great driving cars though.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Beauty is a curse...

Overpaided is far worse than over paid

These types of threads are justified. I see a lot of "I just bought my tsx" threads and its all due to these types of threads. When you're spending almost 30k, you want to get comparable differences down to the last dime.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
taf
Advanced

4. Infinity G35 (maybe a stretch but I drove it and quite honestly it cannot touch the TSX in quality) MSRP$31,050 INVOICE$28,563

THE TSX MSRP$27,890

So where is your HUGE PRICE difference that sets the TSX at an "inbetween" level from these cars....Why do you say they are a "step above" the TSX.....look right here at the MSRP and INVOICE numbers....the TSX is in this class of cars based on PRICE, HP, FEATURES..hell....everything points to the TSX being right in this class of cars...not higher or lower.....

( I would concede to take out the G35 and put it with the TL because of the amount of HP)

Hmm. Show me a new BMW 325i that has AT, HID, Bluetooth, metallic paint, leather, heated mirrors, heated seats, moonroof, ... etc for $30,900. Can't find one? Well it doesn't exist.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Still Lovin my 06

[QUOTE=bgillette]The TSX should be talked about with the following cars:

THE TSX MSRP$27,890

oh come on! the only one of those that invoice becaomse a discussion with is the volvo, maybe the saab. and don't forget the TSX invoice is 25,436. so now you still got the audi, saab, and volvo close to it's price (not the BMW), i'd say the lexus and the MB is a stretch but also close.

Originally Posted by taf
Hmm. Show me a new BMW 325i that has AT, HID, Bluetooth, metallic paint, leather, heated mirrors, heated seats, moonroof, ... etc for $30,900. Can't find one? Well it doesn't exist.
exactly. none of those cars at base price have the options that the TSX does. to compare apples to apples, you have to start adding the options to those other cars, which pushes the price up highger and higher.

believe me man, i'm arguing in the IS forum that the TSX deserves to be talked about when discussing those cars, but you can't compare the TSX to the BASE models of those cars. Just like if you want to compare the lesser cars, you'd have to load them with options. the TSX doesn't really have options, so there is no "base" model....
Old 01-03-2006, 10:12 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by taf
Old 01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Racer

My point is the starting price of the car....

not my fault the other cars are the same class yet they charge arms and legs for options....

seriously....what makes those other cars that much better?

Acura is top of the line too.....
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Racer

i guess thats what happens when you are typing fast, uploading more music to the iPod, and watching the Orange Bowl game....

oh well...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Still Lovin my 06

not my fault the other cars are the same class yet they charge arms and legs for options....

technically their interiors are more "luxurious"

and according to some of the "experts" and i use that term loosely, the TSX is not an entry level luxury car, as those are.

i disagree with the experts. but i also see how the TSX is compared to both classes of cars. it has one foot in each pool.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:12 AM
iVTEC no koe

Totally agree. I like the fact that the TSX and other Acuras come loaded with lots of features that would otherwise be optional on another brand car. Lexus/BMW/Audi/Benz always rape you on options and I find it annoying/misleading in terms of price. Just like those stores that have signs that say:

$9.99and up
Old 01-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by HoRRo
Totally agree. I like the fact that the TSX and other Acuras come loaded with lots of features that would otherwise be optional on another brand car. Lexus/BMW/Audi/Benz always rape you on options and I find it annoying/misleading in terms of price. Just like those stores that have signs that say:

$9.99and up
price alone doesn't define class.. i just don't buy that argument. the fact that a stripped BMW is the same price as a loaded TSX doesnt guarantee they are direct competitors. people want the options. so compare apples to apples. that's my PEEVE about comparing the TSX to other cars.

when i bought mine, i had people saying to me "but you could get a lexus or a bmw for a few thousand more?" and i'm like.....yeah, but not with all the options...
Old 01-04-2006, 08:42 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by bradykp
technically their interiors are more "luxurious"

and according to some of the "experts" and i use that term loosely, the TSX is not an entry level luxury car, as those are.

i disagree with the experts. but i also see how the TSX is compared to both classes of cars. it has one foot in each pool.
What really annoyed me was no one in that thread actually explained with an actual fact for why the TSX wasn't an entry level luxury car. I don't understand what facts they're using for why it "can't" be compared other than it's an Acura, and they find solace in referring to it as an Accord because someone told them once that outside of the country that's how it's badged. They don't care that it's a completely different car. I just wouldve liked to hear 1 competent reason for why the TSX doesn't qualify as an entry level luxry car. Mostly because I love it and everytime I look at it, drive it, wash it, or just sit in it I think of luxury, and I was raised on Mercedes and Lexus (not my cars, but the ones in my garage). Not meaning to hijack, just had to get that out there.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
What really annoyed me was no one in that thread actually explained with an actual fact for why the TSX wasn't an entry level luxury car. I don't understand what facts they're using for why it "can't" be compared other than it's an Acura, and they find solace in referring to it as an Accord because someone told them once that outside of the country that's how it's badged. They don't care that it's a completely different car. I just wouldve liked to hear 1 competent reason for why the TSX doesn't qualify as an entry level luxry car. Mostly because I love it and everytime I look at it, drive it, wash it, or just sit in it I think of luxury, and I was raised on Mercedes and Lexus (not my cars, but the ones in my garage). Not meaning to hijack, just had to get that out there.
i completely agree with you. to me, the acura offers many of the luxuries that these other cars we're not supposed to compare it with do. it also lacks some of the luxuries. the only explanation i saw in the forum was that the TSX isn't a RWD sports sedan, which by that poster's criteria, was necessary to be a luxury sports sedan. now, i think that's a very subjective opinion, but it is a very valid one, i just happen to disagree with it. i also found it comical that they constantly said it's a rebadged accord. which gave away that they really care about the badge, because what difference does it make, if it had an H on the front of it, i would still think it was a car with many luxuries because IT IS no matter what badge is on the front.

i can agree with many that say that the other luxury brands offer more luxuries, they do, but at such a high premium that i don't really see the benefit. it'd have to be a damn good feature to get me to spend the extra money. Acura TSX convinced me over the Honda Accord with items such as ncier leather, bluetooth, HIDs, (does accord have auto dim rearview?), power memory seat, heated seats.....it just keeps going. oh yeah, and the 4 cyl accord has 41 less HP. completely different car. I don't care what it's badged as in europe, and i don't care what it's badged at in America. it's one damn good car at an outstanding price.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:58 AM
6MT or Death

A lot of it has to do with self-justification too. If you go out and spend $12,000 more than you had to for a car your friends and a dealer convinced you was worth it you may be apt to defend your decision in any way possible, and you'll probably use the excuses of your influencers.

Like most people I consider the TSX an entry level luxury sedan with a sporty feel to it. I say this because I would have a hard time holding an opinion that a front wheel drive car with the TSXs torque could be a sports car. It's not a sports car. It's sporty. This care is made to be driven, not raced and that's what I love.

Justifying worth is something we do each day and everyone has their own list of needs. I'm not mad at those who choose badge above all else, because their lives are empty and that is their punishment. BMW, Audi, and Mercedes owner's have to pay for their choice all the time. Lexus owners just change the oil. So just like in any situation the bad owner representatives of any car company must live with themselves, and that can't be fully satisfied by trashing someone elses car on a digital forum. They just think it helps.

Quick Reply: A Pet Peeve About Comparing The Tsx To Other Cars