OTD... what does that mean.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OTD... what does that mean.

OTD... Out the Door. What does that mean for people living in a state with no sales tax?

If i negotiate a price on the car isn't that the OTD price if no sales tax? Or am I missing some fees that are factored in when calculating OTD?

thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

:pulling out buyers order:

I paid almost $900 in "fees" before sales tax on my car. OTD should be just that, what its going to cost to drive off the lot with that car. My sales price of my car was 25944.84. My OTD (with sales tax of $2101.53) was 28413.91.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NopiGirl
OTD should be just that, what its going to cost to drive off the lot with that car.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
This topic has been beaten to death, but I have always had a bone to pick with those that seem to get a ridiculous deal that seems like the dealer would be stupid to sell the car for. Where I find a lot of gray area is when there is a trade involved. Yea I know, they can tell you a price that you are "paying" for the car, and they tell you a price they are "giving" you for the trade, but many people don't mention is what the trade-in price compares to the KBB value (or some other resource). For instance, I compare my TSX price to some of those in the sign in thread and I wonder if these people have been sleeping with their salesperson to get that price compared to mine. But then I see that I am getting $500 more on my trade than the "excellent" rating on KBB, plus mats, locks, flaps, tray, fog lights, etc on the TSX. Then I rationalize in my mind that I'm not actually getting screwed and that I checked 3 dealerships within 100 miles, and never got a better deal than I ended up with. Just my
Old 04-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NopiGirl
:pulling out buyers order:

I paid almost $900 in "fees" before sales tax on my car. OTD should be just that, what its going to cost to drive off the lot with that car. My sales price of my car was 25944.84. My OTD (with sales tax of $2101.53) was 28413.91.

so the $367.54 was for?

When I have bought cars in the past the amount that I was going to pay was the OTD price, I just didn't call it that. Yeah they tried to add stuff on after the price, but I just said no thanks. I didn't see any hidden fees.

So to those that bought a car using OTD, did you factor in sales tax some how? If so, isn't the sale tax calculated by what they sold the car for? Or is it a percentage of MSRP?

I guess if you live in a state with sales tax, the dealer can play with the numbers a lot more if you insist on working off of OTD price. I just think that I would want to negotiate the best price off of invoice... and then let me see the sales tax.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DEVO
so the $367.54 was for?

When I have bought cars in the past the amount that I was going to pay was the OTD price, I just didn't call it that. Yeah they tried to add stuff on after the price, but I just said no thanks. I didn't see any hidden fees.

So to those that bought a car using OTD, did you factor in sales tax some how? If so, isn't the sale tax calculated by what they sold the car for? Or is it a percentage of MSRP?

I guess if you live in a state with sales tax, the dealer can play with the numbers a lot more if you insist on working off of OTD price. I just think that I would want to negotiate the best price off of invoice... and then let me see the sales tax.
Dude, if you live in a state with no tax, OTD to you is just the price of the car + fees (which should only be title and license).

Sales tax is calculated on what the car sold for. So for example, I got mine, OTD, for 29500. So after tax, title and license, the car itself sold for 27100. Which was a pretty good deal I think. But I knew that my tax was going to be about 2 grand, so I negoiatied OTD instead of the actual price on the car.

I think when you use OTD price in negoiation, that tells the dealer that this is all Im going to pay today, so dont add anything else to it. I think it makes things much easier.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

OK... just trying to figure out what people mean with OTD.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OTD should be that bottom figure that you sign your name next to. If they tell you an OTD price and then nickle and dime you to death simply say NO THANKS! Don't buy the car if they add all that on. When you stand up and start to walk out, that $300 BS charge will get erased fast.

OTD is after taxes and tags. OUT THE DOOR! The last/final price is your OTD. Remember....they are salesmen...they will try to convince you anything to get your money. Stand firm! I don't feel I got a good enough deal If I didn't have to stand up to leave at least once or twice or had the Sales Manager come talk to me.

When you use the OTD price to negotiate you basically say to the dealer you make the numbers work the way you want as long as it ads up to $XX,XXX! AND NO MORE!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
What are you buying anyway DEVO?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by domn
What are you buying anyway DEVO?
Well before filing my taxes... I was thinking 2006 325i or 330i... after completing my taxes.... ahhhhh strike that one.

I like the new A4 (2.0) and waiting on the A3 to come to dealers in May. The prices have gone way up on everything German.

The only strike the A3 has on it... it's FWD (for the initial release). Which is the same case on TSX. I want RWD or AWD.

The Mini S was on my short list but I just don't like the low number of dealerships.... and it's FWD. But I could live with that on the Mini. The other car (actually truck) is the new Honda Highlander.

Short List:
A4 (2.0 AWD)
A3
325i (almost off short list)

Consider:
Mini S
Honda higlander.
TSX

Off the list:
330i

As you can see... I'm all over the map.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:40 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DEVO
The other car (actually truck) is the new Honda Highlander.
It's called Honda Ridgeline. Highlander is Toyota.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vwong
It's called Honda Ridgeline. Highlander is Toyota.

hehe... yeup. the ridgeline.