Oil change is $64.95???? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just changed my oil last week in Houston. Paid $37.xx including tax. The car has 5000 miles on it now. I used their regular Quaker State oil. They recommended that I bring my own oil if I want to change to Mobil-1 synthetic next time.

I am changing my oil and doing my service at the dealer close to my home and my work. It's not the same dealer that I bought my car from. When I tried negotiating with this dealer while buying my car back in July they offered $500 below MSRP and free oil changes for 2 years. I passed on that and got my car from another dealer 30 miles farther for $1800 below MSRP, with no free oil changes included!!

I am using the close dealer for my service and warranty work. I even got a loaner (2003 TL) with my oil change as I had the dealer check for a couple of rattles with the oil change.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jesus christ, come on guys. There are better alternatives and cheaper places outside. I mean, even Jiffy Lube's signature service is only $35 with pennzoil motor oil and new filter, plus they will top off all fluids, wash your windows, and vacum your floors. I once went to the dealership for a change on my acura and promise myself I will never go back for something as simple as a oil change. I paid $40 and had to wait 2 hours!!!
What a waste of time and money.

I now go to my local neghiborhood mechanic and get it done for $20 or to JiffyLube when I want fast service. A lot of people have said negative things about Jiffy Lube but I gotten nothing but praises for them. They will try and sell your their other products and service but just kindly decline and they won' bother you.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:10 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by mickey513
Jesus christ, come on guys. There are better alternatives and cheaper places outside. I mean, even Jiffy Lube's signature service is only $35 with pennzoil motor oil and new filter, plus they will top off all fluids, wash your windows, and vacum your floors. I once went to the dealership for a change on my acura and promise myself I will never go back for something as simple as a oil change. I paid $40 and had to wait 2 hours!!!
What a waste of time and money.

I now go to my local neghiborhood mechanic and get it done for $20 or to JiffyLube when I want fast service. A lot of people have said negative things about Jiffy Lube but I gotten nothing but praises for them. They will try and sell your their other products and service but just kindly decline and they won' bother you.
Jiffy Lube? hahahahahahahah. youre kidding right?
The "techs" at those types of places dont know shit. I feel sorry for your car.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Racer

Originally posted by STC
Jiffy Lube? hahahahahahahah. youre kidding right?
The "techs" at those types of places dont know shit. I feel sorry for your car.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to change oil. This alones proves how low your IQ is.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:24 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mickey513
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to change oil. This alones proves how low your IQ is.
Youre right changing oil is cake. I just dont have time anymore to do it myself like I did w/ my R.
Withjiffy lube, speedy, and other places like those dont know motor oil from the tranny fluids.
I heard so many horror stories about these types of shops.
So if you go to places like these, dont say I didnt warn you.

And about saying that I have a low IQ..............hahahah weak ass comment! THAT comment shows how immature YOU are.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:29 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ostrich
STC, this is from the Acura website:

Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard time at the toll-free number (800) 382-2238

Hope this helps and keep us posted!
I called this morning, and the rep basically said that each dealer is individually owned and that they can make their own prices re: service. He tried to feed me some BS about competitive markets, but when I said "shouldnt it be lower then to compete w/ the other lower prices in the market?" he shut up.

He then said he'd shoot my comment (name witheheld) to the dealership. When I asked him when I could call back for some feedback, he said once it goes to the dealership no feedback will be returned.

Whatever....
Old 12-15-2003, 04:16 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

The best feedback is to talk to the service manager himself, ask him why an oil change costs so much, when you can go to another Acura dealer (or independent shop) and have it done for 50% less. After he gives you an answer, say "Oh, now I understand why I need to take my business elsewhere. But give me a call if you ever lower your prices."
Old 12-15-2003, 05:25 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by XPLORx4
The best feedback is to talk to the service manager himself, ask him why an oil change costs so much, when you can go to another Acura dealer (or independent shop) and have it done for 50% less. After he gives you an answer, say "Oh, now I understand why I need to take my business elsewhere. But give me a call if you ever lower your prices."
I tried, but he wasnt in yet, I arrived at Acura at 7am.
When I asked the service guy he said it was always that price.

When I called around, then called Concord again and asked the service desk lady how much it was and why its so f'n expensive compared to everyone else. She said it was because of inflation.
I started laughing.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
STC, I am sorry to hear that the Acura headquarters people were so unhelpful.

Another thing you can do is to file a report to the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Now, you may not have a complaint on your hand (since you have not paid for the oil change) but you can probably make a report.

Are they a member of your local BBB?

http://www.bbb.org/
Old 12-16-2003, 10:51 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ostrich

Are they a member of your local BBB?
yup. http://www.goldengatebbb.org/common....k&compid=10532
Old 12-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by STC
When I called around, then called Concord again and asked the service desk lady how much it was and why its so f'n expensive compared to everyone else. She said it was because of inflation.
I started laughing.
Nice. Highly localized, intense inflation

We should have a central database of these stories.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Mud in your eye!

Originally posted by gsclifton
My dealership gave me the first (3) oil changes for FREE on the TSX.

I got this deal with my two previous Honda's as well.

However, I will be going to Honda for the others as well.
My 1st 2 changes are free too...Acura East in Ajax.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I just got a 7,500 mile service (that's what they recommend here at my local dealer) tire rotation/balance, blah blah blah, I brought my own oil (Mobil 1) and they charged me $135.

I checked the receipt and the 7500 service was $108, plus filter, plus taxes, plus disposal, etc.

A new shift nob was throw in for free as mine experienced the dis-coloring that many of you have...and while they were at it they even washed it.

Oh well, small price to pay for peice of mind and building that relationship with the dealer when "other" events happen to my TSX. (My 99' Civic SI Pulley system grenaded at 101K miles, go figure right after the 100K extended warranty expiration. My dealer fixed it for no charge given the history I developed with them and the fact I couldn't have induced such destruction through my driving.)
Old 12-16-2003, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Alright, STC. Since they actually participate in the BBB program, it makes it even easier! Just call up BBB and make a report. Then see how Acura of Concord will respond. What do you say?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Racer

buy yourown M1, take it to a local garage, and get a dated receipt with odometer reading. Getting screwed should take place in the ..., not at your friendly ACURA dealer.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:32 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just had my 10,000 mile service done which was an oil change and tire rotation and that was $44.

I have a MSM TSX and when I went outside to get into my car after they were done there was 2 other MSM TSX's waiting outside that had been serviced. Even the dealer thought that was amusing since there aren't many MSM's.

This is Lindsay Acura in Columbus.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:57 AM
Racer

I feel sorry for you guys here complaining about the price of a oil change. If you don't like the dealer's price, then go somewhere else. It's not like the dealer is holding a gun to your head and demanding your money. Changing oil doesn't require a college education, anyone with basic mechanic knowledge can do it. You local gas station mechanic can change your oil for $20 and get you out in 10 minutes. Stop being a cry baby over how much your dealer charges for a oil change. They aren't called stealerships for no reason, get over it.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Banned

I told the service guy down here that they charge $65 for an oil change up in the Bay Area and he refused to believe me.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:06 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Back from the dead huh?

Anyways about 2 weeks after my appointment I got a letter saying that I was going to get a satisfaction survey call Honda and if I cant give the dealer all perfect I should call them and get it resolved.

I called and to make a long story short theyre give me a few oil changes for free.