Oil catch can help - funny oil color

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil catch can help - funny oil color

I've got an 05 TSX which I bought about 16 months ago. I had been changing the oil regularly, switching to Mobil1 Synthetic at around 10K miles with a Mobil1 filter. I changed the oil last in August of last year, so it's been a good 5 months and about 4-5K miles or so since I changed it.

Anyway, I installed an oil catch can using the Husky filter used for air tools, which was described on a thread in this forum. I put it on with only 1-2K miles on the car. I had been regularly emptying out the oil catch can every 500-1000 miles, which is usually how long it took to get 70% full or so. I had not had any problems with it or anything. I went to change the oil in the car yesterday, with around 19K miles on the car, and 4-5K miles since the last oil change and the oil catch can was about 60% full, but the color of the oil was very different this time. It was a caramel color, looked like coffee with lots of milk or creamer in it. Normally every time I had emptied it out it was the dark color of used oil. I have no idea why it is this color, but I wanted to see what your take was on this. I can post pictures later today when I get home.

The only thing that I can possibly imagine that it could be are two things: 1. It has been abnormally cold outside (I still live in Texas, but lately we have been getting temperatures in the upper 20's). I didn't have the oil catch can installed during last winter so it could be the cold weather. 2. It has been a while since the oil was changed. This is probably the longest I've gone without changing the oil. But I don't know. Have any of you had this happen? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like moisture....

from where? who knows....

good luck
Old 01-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

I can't speak to the color, but if the amount you suggest is in your can is accurate (per miles) you may have an issue. I have been running a catch can just about since I've had my car, I've probably emptied it every 5000 miles at no more than 50% full. If you're getting 70% full at 1000 miles, that seems abnormal to me.

Unfortunatly, that's about where my expertise in the PCV system area ends. I hope someone who knows more about the system could tell you what may lead to such large levels of oil going through your system, and what you should look for. If you're not satisfied, or still concerned about the color, its probably time to have an independent mechanic take a look.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an 04 and I get the same color fluid. I think it is just build up in the filter coming out. I'm still keeping about 3.5-4 qtrs per 5000 miles, so I'd be more concerned about the amount you are pulling from the oil catch can.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Reach
I can't speak to the color, but if the amount you suggest is in your can is accurate (per miles) you may have an issue. I have been running a catch can just about since I've had my car, I've probably emptied it every 5000 miles at no more than 50% full. If you're getting 70% full at 1000 miles, that seems abnormal to me.

Unfortunatly, that's about where my expertise in the PCV system area ends. I hope someone who knows more about the system could tell you what may lead to such large levels of oil going through your system, and what you should look for. If you're not satisfied, or still concerned about the color, its probably time to have an independent mechanic take a look.
Well, if I remember correctly, the original poster who gave the instructions on how to install the oil catch can had installed a small one, and then a larger one. If you are talking about the larger one, than I can understand, but from what I gathered by others who posted, the small one normally fills up by 500-1000 miles.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

MaxOctane, I'm running the small version of the can. JTso wrote the original threads, if you look at his 'v1' can, thats what I'm using, and it sounds like the same thing you have. I agree with Peter here, it sounds like you're losing a substantial amount of oil.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxOctane
Well, if I remember correctly, the original poster who gave the instructions on how to install the oil catch can had installed a small one, and then a larger one. If you are talking about the larger one, than I can understand, but from what I gathered by others who posted, the small one normally fills up by 500-1000 miles.
Mine doesn't fill up even after 10000 mile, but then I'm not sure if my filter is clogged up and not working efficiently.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The coffee color is a sure sign of moisture in the crankcase, either from coolant leaking from head gasket, cracked cylinder head or just simply cold start in the morning + short trips. Try removing the oil cap and see if it has the same color. If not, I vote for the cold engine + short trips.

It's not uncommon to have moisture in the crankcase if the engine didn't get a chance to reach operationg temperature. Most people won't even notice it if only a small amount because you don't see it unless you remove the oil cap. If the engine didn't lose any coolant, then everything is fine, just don't do too many short trips. Therefore, it's the same reason why an engine requires more frequent oil changes under those conditions.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Reach
MaxOctane, I'm running the small version of the can. JTso wrote the original threads, if you look at his 'v1' can, thats what I'm using, and it sounds like the same thing you have. I agree with Peter here, it sounds like you're losing a substantial amount of oil.

I specifically remember JTso "got tired" of emptying his out every 500 miles which is the reason why he installed a larger one. I also remember others who had experienced the same rate.

I don't like the oil level touching the filter element, so when I say 50% full, I usually mean the oil level is halfway between the bottom of the catch can, and the bottom of the filter element. Not 50% to the top of the entire catch can. Regardless, I empty it out 3-4 times between an oilchange. At most it has 1.5 tablespoons in it (I'm guessing but can't be off by much. If anything it is less than 1.5 tablespoons). At 64 tablespoons per quart, thats barely a tenth of a quart, or 3.5% of an engine fill. In addition, I've never noticed any decrease on the oil dipstick either (if there was any decrease on the dipstick, it was less than 10% of a quart for sure). I'm almost certain that the rate of blowby I experience in my oil catch can is not an issue. What is an issue is how moister got in there.

I did change the oil yesterday (as mentioned in my original post) and the oil came out a normal color. I'll check the coolant level when I get home.